Rio Grande National Forest, COLORADO

Camping Colorado Rio Grande National Forest
Most Recent Rio Grande National Forest Camping Reviews
Lake camping

Great small campground,  beautiful lake, clean,  good fishing, ATVing, biking.

Awesome riverside camping

Went through the camp on foot this week, looking for a picnic spot on our road trip. This was an awesome campsite and I would love to come back. Campground was closed this late in the season. Great picnic tables, fire rings, vault toilets, water available, and clear info signs. River running through campground which was awesome for the dogs!

Beautiful and Quiet Campground

Loved this campground. The sites were well spaced, with few campers the time I was there. My campsite was surrounded by aspen and conifer trees, proving plenty of shade. One of my favorite campgrounds during my trip thru Colorado.

Amazing!!

They camp host were amazing!! The bathrooms were the cleanest I have seen at a campground!! If you love to SUP this is an amazing place to go to. We are definitely coming back next summer!!

Peaceful, Clean, Gorgeous, Secluded

Over the past three weeks, I have camped in 12 different campgrounds across the country and this one remains my most treasured camping experience.

I arrived to some doe casually munching on vegetation around my site. This site was very close to the river, which I enjoyed greatly, the sound of the river put me right to bed that night. I will note the temperature was colder and wetter in this site than I imagine it would in the others further from the river. Sites 1,2,3, had amazing views of the early morning sunrise between the mountains. I have a honda accord and it managed to make it down the 30-40 minute drive on an unpaved road.

They had the cleanest vault toilets I have had the pleasure of gracing. There was hand sanitizer, a rug, and posters hanging on the wall.

Site included:

picnic table

Just far enough from town

Great spot to stay outside Pagosa 10 minute drive to town and 3 minutes to forest service access. Wifi is ok for phones but not the greatest for streaming the further you get from the office the weaker it gets no cell service in the canyon for Verizon either. If you're looking to disconnect and can do with the lack of service get the riverside spots. Staff is very friendly and helpful, they have a food truck onsite which makes it easy if you dont want to cook for a night. The laundry and bathrooms are super clean and the upkeep of the park is nice as well. Some sites share a water shut off so make sure you dont cut off the next sites water while packing up.

Great campsite by the Rio Grande River

Reserved a spot by the Rio Grande over Labor Day weekend. Stayed one night and fell asleep to the flowing river. Spot #7 was perfect as it has a picnic table and fire ring to the left of where you pull in and the campsite is to the right and gets you close to the river. There are other camp spots near but you can't hear anyone else over the roar of the river.  Walking tour in the videos below.

Breathtaking!

My family has been camping here since before I was born. I grew up here. My cousins and I built a rock damn across the river and I cought my first fish here. My children now get to enjoy this piece of majic. It is truly a wonderful place.

Shaded spots, right on the Conejos

Very nice campground. Lots of shade and lots of space between sites. Fishing along the river within the campground. Trash receptacles, water and bathrooms available. Nice little day use area right next to the river.

Lots of amenities

Nice, clean privately owned campground with lots of amenities. Hot showers, bath house, ice and few supplies sold in the office. Campsites right along the river. Very friendly staff. Campsites are a little too close for our liking but worked out well for our stay. Close to lots of fishing and hiking in the area. Beautiful place to watch the sunset and the stars at night. Nice and quiet at night.

Awesome sites!

It’s a great campground. Easy to navigate. Reasonably priced. The sites are nice with plenty of different places to put your tent. Fire pits great for cooking, and each site gets a table.

ONLY bad thing is no showers. Wasn’t a big deal to me, I was there a couple days.

Highly recommend!

Swimming near the dunes

We haven't stayed here, but we regularly use their dump and fill station for RVs, it's $8.00 plus tax to dump and fill here. They have coin operated washers, dryers, and showers, $2.50 for laundry machines, 50 cents for a six minute shower. There is a bar and a natural hot spring here, but we have yet to venture in but here it's nice. The staff is always friendly, and there's even an outdoor dish washing station which comes in handy if you dry camp alot. They have several full service RV sites, tent sights, cabins, this place is basically a resort and it has beautiful views of Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Mt. Blanca. Even if you don't stay here you can come swim, use the laundry and showers for good prices.

Solitude on the Rio Grande

Showed up on a Friday evening and there were still several spots to choose from alongside the river. Satellite toilets are nearby each campsite and theres plenty of trees in each site for putting up tarps. The campground is a hot spot for trout fishing with a continuous stream of people pulling in and going over the river to cast for some of the big browns and rainbows on this section of the Rio Grande.

We went back!

Loved it so much the first time that we came back! For the best views, make sure to book in the lower loop. We stayed in site 11. Not the best views of the reservoir but decent. You can hear the waterfall. Campground sites at close to 10k feet in elevation. Keep that in mind. We enjoyed a great little hike around the reservoir plus amazing fly fishing the next morning. Can’t wait to get back!

Well maintained

Heavy use and most sites very close to each other. Several people ran generators but I'm guessing not an issue during less peak weekends. Otherwise wonderful place close to lake shore when it's full. Could be a tricky walk if it's down. It was beautiful and cool temps.

Great Campground

We and our camping partners snagged the last two reservable sites available on short notice at this quiet, no frills campground and loved the stay. Level campsites with tables and fire pits. We were located right across from the vaulted toilets which were clean, sanitary and odorless. The campground is adjacent to the Rio Grand River and several campsites back right up to the river. We enjoyed our short stay there and as a bonus, Creede, just up the road about 6 miles has a dump station with potable water for a donation fee! The dump station is located about 1/4 mile from the visitors center, same side of road, going back towards the campground down a gravel road about 400 yards. Next time I’m going fishing!

Nice campsite, close to the road but but remote enough.

Campsite was nice and was easy to get to. We only stayed one night as we were just passing through to Rocky Mountian National Park. Next to the piedra  river which was nice, didn’t have a Colorado fishing license at the time so not sure how the fishing was, water looked pretty high. We didn’t have any cell service in the area so if you need that be aware. We would return here, close to Durango and pagosa  springs.

Open armed welcome

Arrived early evening (6-ish) after rejecting a disbursed campsite which wound through "Hills Have Eyes" terrain. Immediately accommodated by the nicest lady, and led to campsite on a grassy opening a stone's throw away from a bend in the Rio Grande. RV area was out of site/ out of mind. The 4 or 5 tent sites were secluded, beautiful grounds,clean restrooms and showers just built. Fire pit provided and a bbq grill offered if needed. Would recommend and will return again, hopefully for 2 nights. Watch a skyful of stars and then fall asleep to the sound of the river.

Peaceful camping at its best

Super pretty little campground. Far enough out of the way that you can usually find a site even though there aren’t a lot to begin with. But that’s what makes this campground so great. It’s peaceful, not crowded, has hiking trails, fishing, half the sites are on the creek AND it’s FREE!!

Very nice campground

Beautiful campground right on the Rio Grande River. Nice wooded sites. The campground has a nice large open meadow where you can throw a frisbee or stargaze. There are hiking trails that take off right from campground. A fox that had clearly received food came into our site and tried to take our garbage which was two feet from me. Do not leave food or garbage out. Sites are reservable. Camp host had firewood for sale. There’s a parking area for fishermen. We would definitely stay here again.

Rafting trips

For the past 4 years now my two 8 year old boys and I meet up with my brother from Oregon to go whitewater rafting.  My kids can play in the water and I can watch them from the table while they fish or play.

it's beautiful hearing the water sound while you sleep or just why you sit or why you eat.

We've always had a campground available for us. We've never seen it full.

I would rate it a five-star if it had showers

Rushing River

Beautiful campground, with many streamside sites. Very popular. Make reservations.

Middle of the forest

Very quiet, serene campground! We are anglers and we chose site #26, which is closest to the river. It’s a hike down but doable! The probablemente was that the water was too high to fish. We will come back when water levels are down. There were some flies and mosquitos but better when the breeze came thru. Very peaceful and nice campground in the middle of the forest.

Beautiful site

Views of the reservoir are so beautiful! We stayed on site #8. Nice size, slight views of the water, it was nice! The fishing was great, the hiking was nice, the bathroom is impecable! Kudos to the hosts!!!! We will be back in August.

Good

Wish that it were a little cheaper and maybe a bit fatter from the road but it is a nice spot right in the river and has amenities.

Dispersed sites

There’s a small crystal clear pond along the road up to the campsites. There’s also a rushing river that flows along one side of the campground. Price is $22 a night, self serve station.

Mountains Majesty!

We stayed in this beautiful campground over the 4th of July weekend. We could not get the rv spot we wanted in the more secluded lake view sites as they reserve out more than a year in advance. The more compact rv sites were fine. We met some very friendly fellow campers and everyone was very courteous and considerate. This quiet campground sits on two small fishing lakes surrounded by beautiful mountains. It is about nine miles outside of Lake City and you can ride your ATV right out of the campground into town or up into the mountains via the Alpine Loop. We pre-booked our site for next year to make sure we had a great spot. We saw abundant wildlife, including an American bald eagle, deer, moose and lots of curious chipmunks. This is an amazing place to experience Colorado!

Great getaway

River hill was a great spot for a weekend getaway. We did not have a reservation but were still able to get a spot on a Saturday afternoon. Camp was well maintained, clean vault restrooms, and horseshoes/frisbee golf on site. We hiked the trailhead to box canyon which starts at the campground and it was beautiful. Spent time fishing in the river that ran by the campsite. Would love to come again!

Donkey Dash Weekend

Marshall park campground is a nice out of the way place to stay. It is dry camping. It is next to the Rio Grande River which makes for some beautiful sounds. there are outhouse which are kept very clean. there is a host and are very nice and have some fire wood for sale. This campground is out of Creede about 5 miles.

So much to do

We stayed for one night in late June. The hot pool was a welcome destination after an afternoon of sliding down sand dunes and hiking back up.

Nice grass for tents.

Cafe menu is great.

Showers and washroom are good

Sand boards are available to hire