White River National Forest, COLORADO

Camping Colorado White River National Forest
Most Recent White River National Forest Camping Reviews
Ugh

Too many people

Great trail campsite with a creek

Saw this trail-side camp site while out Jeeping in the mountains near Breckenridge, CO. Nice pull-in site with a fire ring available and plenty of firewood that you can cut up around. The area was in a fire ban at the time so we were not able to start a fire. Had a nice sound of the creek rushing along beside us. Arrived at camp a little late that night (was already dark) and had no traffic around during our whole stay. There are lots of similar sites along the trail.

Great spot off of Boreas Pass Trail

Found this spot at about 7PM on a Friday night near the Breckenridge end of the Boreas Pass Trail (39.451441,-106.014294). The spot does have a fire ring but was unable to use it as a fire ban was in place at the time. Could hear some occasional traffic noise as cars were leaving the trail. Temperature got down to 16 degrees that night. Altitude is about 10,600 feet at this site.

Super Friendly and Clean

The office manager was extremely helpful and friendly. He drove by 2 times to make sure we had everything we needed while tent camping. The bathrooms were very clean and the water nice and hot. They also have a kitchen area with microwave, filtered water and a sink for dishes, which was really convenient.

Great spot

Location is great! A mile walk into the quaint town of Redstone, 20min drive to Carbondale or Marble (opposite direction). Fun hikes near by and great fly fishing at the Crystal River (walking distance from campground). Hosts were great. We had site #1. Shared site but spacious with great views. No cell reception anywhere until you get to Carbondale. We drove into Redstone to get some WiFi bear the Inn.

Lake camping

Nice campground close to great hiking

Tent camping

great campground close to hiking, biking, etc. Clean, fairly quiet if no rv with generators

Ranger Review : Outdoor Element at Dispersed Grand County Rd 11, MBRNF

Campground Review

Beautiful spot to watch the Aspens change. Fairly open camp spot, mostly flat, lots of room for a trailer if you'd like. Good spot to have a group gathering, large fire pit and good amount of room for people and cars and camp.

Had a pair of moose, Mom and Calf, walk right through, about 15 yards from me, while I was waiting for my dinner to re-hydrate. They seemed to have no cares.

Fair amount of trails around if you can find them, although not maintained by anyone it seems, except maybe hunters? Beautiful area to explore!

…………………………………………..

Product Review

I tested the Outdoor Element Firebiner, a Survival EDC Carabiner

Great little tool to have with you! Just in case, cuz you never know. Especially here in CO!

The many functions of the Firebiner I have yet to try, but the fire starter and tinder quicks I did. It takes two hands, so trying to film it was a bit of a struggle for me. But the spark was very intense and lit the tinder quick within 3 strikes. I then laid it onto a home made fire ensurer in the wood tepee with paper and it was full blaze on in no time!

I have one clipped to my daily backpack. One in my hunting bag. The lightweight and useful functions make it easy to add to any bag or kit, car, truck, outdoor, emergency and more!!

Amazing Campground with Friendly Hosts

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how great this campsite was. The hosts were very friendly, clean bathrooms, easy to access trash, and breathtaking nature surrounding you. You can't go wrong! The dirt road to access these sites could use a repave so expect slow speeds to get there. There is also dispersed camping on both sides of the road prior to getting there. I feel that $17 a night is worth the bathroom, water, table, and trash that is included. Bring cash, payment is due within an hour of getting there. Enjoy! We really can't say enough about this place.

Was lucky to find this cool campground

Jefferson Lake area is really nice but most of the camping in the area is by reservation only. We were very lucky to find this first come first served campground. Two of the sites are double sites so you could camp right next to your family/friends. There's a cool loop at the back that would be great for group camping. Not lots of shade trees(shade at front of campground) but that didn't bother us. Campground is meant for all camping types from tents to rigs as long as your rig is shorter than 25' (we found out after we had squeezed our 29' camper through the entrance). No cell coverage, very clean campground.

A Favorite Every Year =)

I hate to tell you this… because this is a favorite of ours.  We come here every year in the autumn.  We play on Kebler Pass, we have pizza at Stash in CB, and at night - the stars oh how the twinkle!  But you will pay a price for these autumn skies.  It is cold at Lake Irwin at night.  Bring a sweater and snuggle up!
The Camp Host is a delight.  So many sites that are good with peaks at the lake.  You are in the heart of the Rockies.  Wake up and pick a trail, or point towards a road.  It is bound to be beautiful!

Close to Aspen - Information about available sites may not be accurate

We have stayed at this campground several times as it is convenient to Aspen and Maroon Bells, gives great access to Independence Pass, and each site has a secured bear box and tends to have some privacy.  However it has come to our attention that the information in the online reservation system regarding this campground is incorrect.  The Camp Host does nothing to alleviate the confusion, if fact she seems to take pleasure in adding to it, then announcing to campers they must depart once they have paid for their campsite and set up camp.  We witnessed this happen to about a half dozen campers over a recent weekend trip.  She behaves more like a Land Baron than a Camp Host, the title of her job.
I would take great care before setting up here, even if you have confirmed a reservation online.

Great campground if you need water and electricity

I usually prefer camping more primitive but we needed electricity for a friend's CPAP. The amenities are great, very clean showers and bathrooms. Nice little store on the facility. Sites are tight to each other and dirty and unkept in my opinion. But if you are just needing a place to crash as we were while we spent the days offroading, it works. A bonus is that they offer an all you can eat ice cream buffet every evening. We would stay again if we had similar needs.

Great basecamp for Hikers

We stayed here as a basecamp with a large group in order to hike the Decalibron loop early in the morning. It was a great spot for us to start our journey as it meant we didn't need to get up early to drive 1.5 hours to the start and we could acclimatize a little faster.

The sites were rocky but spacious enough to hold a tent or two and they were pretty spaced out to compensate for lack of trees and shrubs at high altitude for privacy.

The bathrooms get pretty rough after the morning hiking rush but James,  (and his dog Indy) from the town of Alma, were there during the middle of the day to clean and refresh them so when you descended, they were ready and waiting.

The parking lot never stops, there is a constant flow of cars coming in and out at all hours. The road to get there isn't the smoothest, so I would advise you to have a high clearance car to get all the way there or plan on adding a little time to hike up the road.

There are many trails you can hike out from the camp, so it is a great spot to get away if you like a little adventure!

PS It is also right up the road from the previously named "Sweet Home Mine" where the Alma King was discovered. The mine is not still operational but there has been a new mine started above it named "Detroit City".

Every thing in one place!

Cabin,tent, lodge RV you pick! Close to hot springs, whitewater rafting, hiking and biking! Year round adventure!

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler in Dispersed Camp NF - Hunter Central

Campground Review:

Great flat spot to set up camp. Been mostly cleared of deadfall, has good views off back of camp. Get a bit of service on one part of camp, and head up the other ridge to get full 4G.

Beautiful spot to watch the leaves change this fall. Has some Aspens mixed with Pine trees. Sagebrush, berries, and scrub oak around as well. Lots of views to see.

Rough 4x4 road - DO NOT ATTEMPT without 4x4 LO

Product Review:

I wish I had more good things to say about the IceMule Cooler. It did not perform to my expectations. Seems to leak whenever turned on its side or over. In Colorado Summer/Fall temps, 70's to 40's in temps, the cooler did not hold ice for 24 hours. Great for short/small trips and only use it for drinks.  Unless you have access to ice and can refresh often. I find the rolling/closing to be a bit cumbersome, and as I said, I can not get a good water tight seal either. Great for the boat, day hike, picnic but not what I was looking for in a camping cooler.

Great, spaced out and clean site

Definitely one of the better sites we've camped at. Plenty of space between sites (we could only see the site across the street from us, all others were behind tree cover), so lots of privacy. Bathrooms were immaculate and had no odor whatsoever. About a 15 minute drive into Aspen, so easy to get into town…but if you want to catch Maroon Bells at sunrise, I'd suggest staying at Silver Bells or Silver Queen as it's a good 30-45 mins to get to the Bells from here.

Firewood is available for $7/bundle (cash only)

No frills clean camping

We came up to ride the trails around Buena Vista and stayed here. The rates were fair and the campground was immaculately kept. The staff was friendly. You will need to ask if sites are available with trees that will accommodate your setup. There is a nice path down to the river . We enjoyed our stay at this quiet campground. I would stay here again.

Campground near Cement Creek, close to Crested Butte

Key things - 3+ miles down a dirt road (rough but nothing requiring a 4WD), no electricity, no water (except creek), no cell service with AT&T (not sure about others), 11 sites, normal size tent pads (a little small for my 9x12), out house toilets (2), great white noise from the creek if the water is flowing

Cost is $16/night.  $8/night with National Parks Pass number (make sure you have your pass so you can record the number)

This is a decent campground near Crested Butte.  If it is a dry spell, like it was for us, it is dusty and the road next to the camp is dusty.  Be sure to pick a site away from the road. Also pick a site away from the toilets. Site #9 is the best for privacy, if you are willing to carry your equipment down a short trail (we stayed in 8, 9 and 10 - all good sites).  All other sites are on the camp road.  The camp is dusty, which was exaggerated by our 2 and 3 year old grandsons enjoying running around creating dust clouds.  It was a nice weekend so the dirt bikers and atvs were busy on the road next to the camp, but didn't start before sun up and were gone before sun down (most went out in the morning and back in the afternoon - so not constant traffic).

Overall, we had a great time and the kids were able to run around without worrying about cars in the camp.  All of the campers there with us were quiet and went to bed by 9pm.  Many just came in, set up camp for the night and left the next morning - no long term campers.

We stayed the weekend of 13 Sept 2019 - days temps were in the 70s, nights went down to the upper 20s and lower 30s - take the right gear.  We ended up using a tent heater the first night (but I'm old and get cold).

Large campground that is well maintained

There are three loops. The middle one seems to have the most privacy, the biggest one is very open but you are closest to the lake.

Was there in September and it was in the 80s during the day and got to the 30s at night. Prepare yourself for that!

The lake is gorgeous and not very busy.

Leadville is nearby with some good coffee shops, restaurants, and fun nightlife.

Beautiful, but not as peaceful as I’d hoped.

This was a beautiful spot, but I don’t really feel the need to go back. It is remote enough, but definitely a popular place. The scenery is amazing. The water a crazy blue color. 4 wheel drive is probably the best as the road is very rough. There were plenty of spaces to camp along the road to the campground and beyond it. Perhaps one of those spots would be better.

At the campground, you can hear whatever business is located right next to it, (a mill or something) and their dogs on their property did not like us or our dogs and frequently barked at us and came pretty close - close enough to antagonize our pups. They were just dogs guarding their home, but I don’t really want to be camping that close to anyone’s home.

Beautiful and clean

We had a great stay at Prospector Campground. Host was very nice, bathrooms were extremely clean, and the site is beautiful! We will be back!

Just ok

We stayed in the ‘over flow’ or dispersed camp sites and not the reserved spots. It’s a little ways in, but not bad. Probably not good for a stock car but an SUV with decent clearance should do fine. The site we found was in terrible condition, which is sad that people leave the camp site that way. There was trash every where, beer cans, broken pieces glass, parts of an old tent, and toilet paper. I realize that’s not anyone’s fault but just humans who are inconsiderate. The sites, for being dispersed are pretty close to each other. But there’s some beautiful views and lots of wildlife.

Great views

So glad we stumbled upon these campsites. Had my sights on camping around the reservoir, but after one look we knew we didn’t want to be stuck in a dust pile with a bunch of rvs. Kept driving up the road, past the first trailhead, and came upon tons of open camp sites (the Sunday before Labor Day). Found one with a great view of one of the surrounding 14ers with a creek.

My only gripes are 1.) TONS OF BEES. No one got stung, but damn they were annoying 2.) TONS OF TRAFFIC. Like I said, it was Labor Day weekend so it’s to be expected - but the trucks/cars/rvs driving past our site (which was still a little ways off the road) towards the large campsite in Winfield kicked up a lot of dust and were almost as annoying as the bees (almost).

We’ll definitely be back, despite the bees (but we might wait until the fall).

Beautiful, mostly isolated, dog friendly, river nearby, PERFECT

Tons of dispersed sites along National Forest 703 between hiway 24 and Homestake Reservoir.  We went on a holiday weekend (labor day) and didnt arrive until 2:30pm on Saturday and had no problem finding the perfect spot along the river.  This spot is a treasure.

Great site for the less-equipped

This site was perfect for our small group that was concerned about having all the necessary gear for more austere camping. There was a grate attached to the fire pit for easy cooking. The vault toilets were clean and the dumpster was well-outfitted for bear prevention so was really just a plus. CELL SERVICE! Verizon and AT&T users will have pretty solid signal for texts/calls, occasionally enough for social media — T-mobile not so much. The road out is rocky, but 4WD/AWD will get you there (my Ford Explorer has no issues, saw a few lower clearance Subaru’s that seemed to be doing ok). A leisurely trail head right across the street (Limber Grove), but recommend heading a few miles further down the road past the site (road gets rockier) to the Mt Sherman trailhead. It’s a more doable 14er; a couple in our crew had never done one before and they thought it was a great one to start with.

Great place!

Nice views of Twin Lakes and Mt. Elbert.  The fishing is good especially if you prefer rainbow trout.  The camp sites are spread out pretty nicely and are not all the same.  Some sites offer shade and a view of the waterfront while others have lil shade and you can't see Twin Lakes.  There is water, ample vaulted toilets around the campground, friendly campers with dogs on leashes.  There is a nearby store where 1 can even purchase a fishing rod as you head towards Aspen.  I enjoyed my stay all 3 times, thus far that I have camped in tents here.  There are rushing waters and Twin Lakes to keep you cool.  Beautiful hiking!  Mostly just RVs and tent camping.  I recommend a site back up the lil hill so you can see Twin Lakes!  Nice campground.

San Isabel National Reserve @Purgatoire river

Dispersement camping is the way to go if you’re looking to get away from “civilization” for a bit.

👌🏼

Awesome camp ground. Dog friendly. Not many spots so get there early. Dirt road isn’t that bad. Couple of pot holes but Made it fine with my Subaru Outback. The hike from where we camped was maybe a quarter of a mile. LOTS OF BEARS so do pack and camp accordingly. No water, no bathroom.

Stay up to see the stars!

White Star is a particularly clean campground. The hosts were very friendly, and dropped off a map and a free day pass to park at the lakes.

None of the camp sites are on the water, but you can walk over in just a few minutes, or drive over with your gear. There is a trail that goes all the way around both lakes—it's very picturesque. I recommend staying on the outer loop—those sites have more space between them, and a bit more privacy.

We had limited cell service in the campground—enough for texting using both Verizon and AT&T.