San Juan National Forest, COLORADO

Camping Colorado San Juan National Forest
Most Recent San Juan National Forest Camping Reviews
Perfect Colorado Camping

See my other Review for Dakota Ridge. Another 5 stars with all amenities and screaming Verizon Wifi

Stunning CO mtns surround you

We tested out maiden working on the road trip at this spectacular state park. It was end of the season so some loops were closed. Each site gave privacy with nature in between. The WiFi tower was right in the campground so WiFi was screaming. Mild temperatures in October. 5 stars!!!

Nice campground - But be prepared for sticker shock

Morefield Campground is the only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, but be forewarned, you might just experience a little sticker shot at the price. Cost for a tent site with NO hookups was almost$35 after taxes. The campground does has flush toilets and wifi through out the campground. Next to the camp store are showers and a coin laundry. Each campsite has a picnic table, tent pad and metal fire ring. The campsites really vary in appearance, some are out in the open right next to each other, other are in the trees and bushes which gives you a little more privacy, but most are still right next to another very close site. Some other these are perfectly level areas, others will have you going up of down stairs. The sites with stairs seemed to be slightly more secluded. While it was nice to have restrooms with running water, their was no way to dry your hands, so bring a towel with you as they have no paper towels or air driers for you hands. Water could be found at the restrooms. For you trash you had to find the one dumpster in the middle of the camping loop, but be warned, it could be difficult for some to open. I was a bit disappointed that the campground wasn't kept in better shape, especially for the price they were charging. Several campsites were closed due to needing repair, and the trail from the camp loop to the store was falling apart, it is need of new pavement or just remove it and go to a dirt path. They have Wifi, and said it was better the closer to the restrooms you were, but if a few people are using it, it really slows down. The Wifi was nice as you have no cell service in the campground. All in all this is a nice campground except for the price.

Ranger Review of Banner & Oaks' Patriot Navy Blue T-Shirt At Morefield Cam

Nice campground but a bit pricey

Ranger Review of Banner& Oaks Patriot Navy Blue T-Shirt

I really like this T-shirt. Fit is just right and the shirt is really soft, and has stayed that way after numerous washings. The best thing is that it is American made, hard to find much in the way of clothing that is anymore.

Lake camping

Great small campground,  beautiful lake, clean,  good fishing, ATVing, biking.

Diamond in the Rough

This is an absolutely amazing place to stay and camp in the desert. The owners are amazing and have gone above and beyond to make this place awesome. It’s like college dorm style living, but outside. Hot showers, pit toilets, and a fully appointed public kitchen with an ice machine really bring it all together. I really enjoyed using the kitchen and covered sitting area, which is nice to get out of the wind. The observation deck is also a great place to sit and watch the sunset and stars. I will be coming back to here again and again! Would be an awesome place for a teardrop camper.

Location location location

Location location location

A true San Juan gem

Having stayed in the Telluride area many times, the west fork of the Dolores River was a welcome reprieve from the leaf-peeping crowds in late September who flock to the upper reaches of Lizard Head Pass.

After passing the Mavreeso Campground and finding the gate already closed for the season, we were happy to pull into West Dolores, where a sign greeted us saying that it would be open, but with very little amenities, until the snow came. Didn't see a host or firewood, but paid our money in the envelope regardless. There were a few sites still available on a Saturday night at this time of year.

Friendly staff and great location

I recently stayed at this campground and it was wonderful. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I forgot my spare tire cover behind at my campsite and when I called they grabbed it and held onto it for me. The campsite was well maintained and the bathrooms and showers were very clean.

The greatest thing about this campground though is that the Durango steam train goes right through the campground. To see the historic train right from your camper or tent window is pretty great.

I would absolutely stay here again.

It’s okay

It’s not my favorite place to camp. I wouldn’t recommend staying by the water if you have kids, it’s right by a cliff. You have to walk into the spot which isn’t to bad. If you have a boat then this is a great place. The views and sunset are amazing though!!

Amazing!!

They camp host were amazing!! The bathrooms were the cleanest I have seen at a campground!! If you love to SUP this is an amazing place to go to. We are definitely coming back next summer!!

Good Option if you cant go Dispersed

Awesome little campground just outside of Telluride. Best part is you can drive just up the road and catch the Gondola into town or all over the mountain. Camp host was awesome and really friendly and pit toilet was really clean. There was a bear in the campground—we didn’t see it—but you’re camping in the mountains so you should expect it. Beautiful aspens but marsh area might result in some extra mosquitos. Overall great way to stay near telluride for $20 a night!

Peaceful, Clean, Gorgeous, Secluded

Over the past three weeks, I have camped in 12 different campgrounds across the country and this one remains my most treasured camping experience.

I arrived to some doe casually munching on vegetation around my site. This site was very close to the river, which I enjoyed greatly, the sound of the river put me right to bed that night. I will note the temperature was colder and wetter in this site than I imagine it would in the others further from the river. Sites 1,2,3, had amazing views of the early morning sunrise between the mountains. I have a honda accord and it managed to make it down the 30-40 minute drive on an unpaved road.

They had the cleanest vault toilets I have had the pleasure of gracing. There was hand sanitizer, a rug, and posters hanging on the wall.

Site included:

picnic table

Perfect

Great campground that feels like you are remote when Ouray is just down the road. Camp Attendant was friendly and helpful and the camp was clean and orderly. Our spot was level and had everything we needed. Picnic table, big fire ring, plenty of room to spread out and never heard another campers voice.

Campsite is beautiful but there’s a bear problem.

The campsite is beautiful. It’s close to the water and the views of the mountains are great. The sites are much more spread out than the nearby Thistledown site. That being said, we stayed for two night and both nights we were awoken by bears. The first night one tore into a plastic container we have with things like rope, propane, hammers, etc. The second night they were trying to get into the bear proof food lockers. It appears that these bears rely on food found at the campgrounds and it’s a dangerous situation for both the campers and the bears.

Nice and quiet

This is a great area to camp. I was there at the end of August on a week night. There was a little vehicle traffic on the road but at night it is quiet. The sites very from very large, like the one pictured below, to small and tight. Almost all are directly on a creek. Bugs are around but not too bad. One thing to be aware of- most of the area is an open grazing area for cattle. Cows=poop. Lots of it…… I would definitely return though.

Nice place to stay.

This place gets pretty crowded but nice place to stay. The views are awesome and you're right in the middle of everything, edge of townzl, minutes drive to forest service access, rivers all around, and lakes not far away. Silverton has ohv road access and plenty of places to take them. The staff is friendly and helpful they will escort you to your side and if available have you pull straight through to your spot. The sites are a bit close but for the most part the place is quiet make sure you have blocks as they are not level at all. The facilities are clean and well kept but no shop in the office however the town market is right across the street. The lower sites back right up to the rail road and you can watch the train roll by. They offer jeep rentals and plenty of other options for that area as well.

Will come back!

This site is amazing, great staff willing to help and friendly. The bathrooms are very well kept and the upkeep of the park is great. They have wifi hotspots throughout the park so it works on all corners. The sites are well spaced out with grass on each side and big enough for a 38' fifthwheen with plenty of space to park full hookups and shade trees in some sites. The lake view spots are amazing backed right up to their private lake. Plenty of walking trails and areas to run with the pups. This place is 20 from durango but bayfield has plenty to do in town. They are open year around and maintain the roads during a snow making access in and out easy.

Big Nope

Did have full hookups. Campers stacked on top of each other. No showers or bathrooms. Very urban feeling.

Convenient, beautiful little campground

Located right on the edge of Telluride makes it easy to access the town. We set up camp and walked to get dinner/drinks that night. Quarter-operated showers and flushing toilets. Potable water and dish washing sinks.

Great campground above Ouray

Beautiful spot to camp. I think we got lucky that all of the spots weren’t booked. Probably the best views we had all week. Definitely check out the hiking trails in the area. Chief Ouray trail is difficult, so be prepared before you go up the mountain.

Beautiful views from this little campground

One of my favorite campgrounds that we stayed at last year. Quiet, small, and had great views over the hill.

Worth the drive, 4WD recommended

Half of the camping spots are kind of difficult to get to if you don’t have a Jeep/4Runner/Tacoma. Definitely worth the drive up the mountain to see these Alpine lakes. Kind of crowded when we went on Labor Day weekend, but that was to be expected. Make sure you hike up to the other two lakes, they are even more beautiful than the main lake.

Nice place to stay

My husband and I stayed here and it was clean and the cabin was nice. The showers were hot and clean and we will definitely be back.

Peaceful

You could hear water flowing to the lake from most campsites. The lake was great for kayaking and we saw a lot of people fishing. Great hiking trail that follows along a stream. Camp hosts were great and the bathrooms were very clean! Will definitely be back!

Better for dry camping
  • It is a beautiful setting on the Dolores River. You can hear the river flowing from your site. The bathrooms are clean! Camp Host was so sweet!

• The electric sites are sardined together so you have no privacy. Site 18E at least had some shade, but most had no shade.

Great place for learning.

Spent three days here, with our too young daughter, she's now 9 and ready to go back and learn more of the history of this land and it's people.

Beautiful lake

We really enjoyed this campground specifically for the location and the beautiful lake. Great place to kayak, SUP, and fish. However we had a very small campsite And could barely squeeze 3 small tents on it. Unfortunately no good trees to hang our hammocks, but the camp sites closest to the lakes had the best views and biggest space. Nicely kept bathrooms but no sink.

Really felt like I was away

Spent a few days at Junction Creek campground over Labor Day. Tough to get a reservation, but checked daily until there was a cancellation and was able to snag a great double site (Loop E #14) with electric hookups. The double site allowed us to put our 24-foot trailer across both spots with our front door facing the back of the campsite with nothing but beautiful national forest behind us! 🌲🌲🌲

Practical things: Double site has two picnic tables, two RV/trailer spots, two electrical hookups, a fire pit, and a tent pad. Separate men and women put toilets are very clean. Loop E is the only one with electric hookups. There are no water or sewer hookups here, which was perfect in my mind.

Important things: Sites are nicely spread out so you feel like you have privacy and space. It’s extremely quiet and we enjoyed the sound of crickets and campfires at night. Very close access to hiking on the Colorado Trail. You’ll pass by one of the Trail entrances just before you enter the campground. Only 5 miles out of town, so it’s easy to grab the necessities you need from City Market or enjoy dinner out in historic downtown Durango. Highly recommend this campground.

Cool place to camp!

Athough I booked a 2 night stay I was only here 1 of the 2 days.  Very nice campground.  The pads and spots are nice and well groomed.  I booked one of the nicer spots too.  There are hookups at this campground and it isn't too far away from stores.  Liked the place overall.  No rushing waters but Haviland Lake took the attention.  Serene, not crowded with noise from the main road which is a ways off the water front on the other side of the campground.  The camp sites are not close to one another and provide ample privacy.  There are trees and shade, take bug spray as the mosquitoes want ya.  Very nice place in my book!  I would return!  Pricey but nice! Bathrooms are well maintained and just an overall pretty classy spot.