Pueblo, COLORADO

Most Recent Pueblo Camping Reviews
Great State Park

We stayed on Piñon for one night this fall. This area has gravel rods and less facilities than the Yucca campground. However, you have large pull in space and more rustic camping. This camp is closer to the entrance and lake for fishing and boating. The sites are basic with electrical and water. The restrooms are basic and no showers. The camp is in a good location to local towns and the highway. This is definitely worth a try.

Great State Park

We stayed here for two nights this October. This is an expansive state park with hundreds of sites and awesome facilities. The views to the west looking at the Spanish peaks are awesome. They have hot showers and clean restrooms as well as RV dump station. The sites have electrical hookups and fresh water with hose hookup is available in the campground. The lake is popular for fishing and boating. They have a boat inspection station as the entrance for ballast water. The park is near the highway and close to the Spanish Peaks area and the popular of La Veda, CO.

Wild Hobos at 2am

Not Cute. Will not return unless absolutely necessary and Cloud Camp at the Broadmoor is booked.

Easy to get to, not the most secluded

We stayed at this campground in order to help out with the Xterra Race that was taking place the next day. We reserved two walk in sites (30 and 34) and it was easy to find them. The walk in sites are between 20-40 feet form the parking lot and on a slight (and rocky) hill. There was plenty of privacy by way of shrubs so it felt secluded even though the sites are right next to each other.

You can only set up tents on the tent pads in the sites so that was a little challenging being that we needed to sleep 10 and could only fit 1 tent per site. But we were able to make it work. Also, the ground is very compact, so stakes were hard to get into the ground and we had to tie off our guy-lines to the bushes to keep them in place during the night.

Keep in mind that you are on a military base area so you will hear TAPS periodically throughout the day and night. Campground is open year-round

It has:

51 Full Hook-Up sites

10 Basic Tent sites

Coin operated showers and laundry (Seasonal; These amenities are for active campers only.)

Overall the sites were great. Bear food lockers and water at each site. The firepits were large and well ventilated. The bathrooms were super clean and accommodating. Lots of trails and ranger led events happening to keep you (and your kids and dogs) entertained.

Lone Duck

Very nice/clean with good access to Pike’s peak. Shower stalls are a bit small.

The lake was beautiful! There were several trails nearby and a restaurant that was open on the weekends.
Finding wood was a little difficult but need be, the restaurant sold it for $6.99 a bundle. I definitely want to come back and backpack the Cisneros trail to see the mines.

Great!

Very friendly staff. All accommodations are great. $2 for laundry, free showers, and restrooms. Rv supply shop along with ice on the property. Small space but what do you expect in a super tourist town!

High School Party Spot

This spot holds a special place in the hearts of many Canon City locals. Many a drunk High Schooler have fallen into deadly cactus while trying to drink a keg up here. Also, I almost got killed twice here, once by a Black Bear and another by a God damn Mountain Lion!! This area really does offer some spectacular views, it’s like a small Garden of the Gods. I highly recommend you bring some Marijuana when you go there, it helps to get the blood flowing after sitting in the car.

Catch some Brookies!!!!

It’s a small stream but it’s sure as hells got some trout in it! I’ve been fishing this stream since I was a kid, and I still have a good time there. It’s got some decent little camp spots too.

Not my favorite campground

Visited this RV Park over a weekend with my family. Even the premium sites are extremely close. There was a sewer-type smell near the front office. While we stayed there, the entire site was surrounded by road construction sites, which made it difficult to get in and out.

There are two pools and an arcade, which my kids enjoyed quite a bit. The location is accessible to Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, and a number of other popular activities close by.

Overall, I was unimpressed and would not stay here again. In looking for photos of the campground for this review, I realized I didn’t have any as there was not much to take pictures of. Overall, not my favorite and I would not stay here again.

Very beautiful landscape

You can park your R.V. or set up a tent. the staff is nice and staying at this location was a lot of fun.

Clean, minimal insects and everyone’s catching a fish!

We come here often - tent campers. Here’s a simple review to quickly figure out if this is a place for you!

Time of the year: Labor Day Weekend 2019

Reservations: No

Cost to camp: $15

Sites: 33, and we arrived at midnight on Sat. There were probably 10 sites taken. On Saturday, it started to fill up, but it seemed that there at least 10 sites not taken throughout the day. We stayed at sites 17 and 18. 17 is almost 90% in the shade all day. It’s a smaller site, but we were able to stake 2 tents and park a car comfortably. Site 18 was a bit bigger, and there was a drive-thru parking spot. You could fit almost 3 cars there, but 2 tents comfortably. This site remained shaded until 5pm ‘till sunset.

Restrooms: Yes, 2 flushing toilets per gender. Bring hand soap because it’s the right thing to do! Toilet paper never seems to run low, but bring some just in case. They seem to bleach the restrooms daily…THUMBS UP FOR ME!! However, during the colder season, port-a-potties are only accessible. No showers.

Water spigot: Yes, there is one at every site. Not sure if it is pottable, but I used it to clean my dishes and didn’t get sick.

Firewood: Yes, for a donation. There are surrounding homes before and in the state park that sell bundles for like $5.

Handicap accessible: Yes, I saw one site.

Stargazing: OMG YES!!

Other: If you need to get ice, odds and ends or even go to a bar, Eagle Valley resort is less than 9 miles in the park. Take the scenic route to see the cute community in the area.

Fishing: The reservoir is really low, but that doesn’t deter the ability to catch fish. Blow up boats, float tubes and fishing from the shore are, in my opinion, a great way to catch a fish. The morning time between 6am - 9am are the best, but you can catch all day long…just takes some time. In 2 days of fishing, 5 people caught more than 30 fish in 3 hours of fishing a day.

Bugs and such: There are bugs, but they weren’t really as annoying as most campgrounds. Ants were prevalent, but if you keep your food and scraps off the ground, you will be okay. I never see snakes. There are a lot of jackrabbits.

Temperature: It seemed to be in the 90s in the day and 50s at night.

Overall, my family got 2 spots across of each other, a little walk to the restrooms, but we enjoyed the weekend fishing, eating and enjoying the great weather. I highly recommend camping here!!

Great free camping

It's been years since we started here but for a free camp ground is perfect.

Beautiful scenery in quiet campground

I stayed in this campground in mid July for 3 nights.  The campground is pretty rustic but clean. It does have electrical hook ups which made it nice for our dog to enjoy a air conditioned trailer when it got hot during the day. The sites are a little close together and positioned so it you have a trailer where your awning comes out is in direct view of the other campers. Also we brought our kayaks to enjoy the Lake. The only kicker is you are not allowed to park where the ramp is to walk your kayaks down to the lake unless you rent them from them. So you have to use the many flights of stairs that wind back n forth all the way down to the lake. They are lined with rail road ties sometimes stacked 5 high.   So you have to lift your kayaks above the ties as you walk down. If you have a heavy kayak is almost dangerous of injury.  I feel like if they have a ramp you can walk them to if you pay for the campground you should be allowed to park your vehicle there to do so.

Free camping, private, quiet, & beautiful

Paved & gravelled roads, hiking trails, free camping, sightseeing, off roading, atv, handicap accessible, dogs off leash, picnic tables, firepits, kid friendly. This is also near Royal Gorge Bridge where there is a large facility to zipline, tram ride or walk across the gorge.

Wonderful stay

This campground was very nice. The camp host was very friendly and helpful. All of the campsites are beautiful.

Perfect RV getaway spot!

Great service and beautiful sites. From the moment we blew the first stop sign, sorry management, until the time we checked into the office they were awesome! We were so excited for our vacation we showed up 4 hours early for our reservation, and they had us in ASAP! Thanks y’all! The gentleman that backed us in and shared some secrets to the fishing in the area was very cool. We are loving it and can’t say enough, oh and the view is beautiful!

Easy to get to.

Easy park to get to, right off hwy 115, in Colorado Springs. The camp sites are decent. Tent, drive in, walk in drive through sites.

Easy access and quiet

My grandson and I stayed there in June for 4 days in a 34ft travel trailer in a pull thru long enough not to have to unhook. The sites were large and plenty of room for my slideout and not too close to next site. About 30 min from Pueblo and 30 from Canon City on Hwy 50 just east of Hwy 115 Full hookup and good WiFi Also had 30 OTA channels. Beautiful sunsets of the mountains Hwy 50 close by but traffic was not loud enough to disturb us Horses on the property as well as a swimming pool and very friendly staff Very nice experience and only 40 min from Colorado Springs or Royal Gorge.

5 except for the flies.

Nice, clean park. Pretty views, great swim beach. Didn't try the fishing. Nice space between sites BUT site # 7 looked liked the "Amityville Horror", being infested by biting flies. Would come back except for the almost 3 hour drive might be a deal breaker.

Rad

Loved it! Highly recommend all wheel, as some sites are rocky and/or steep, but don’t let your sedan stop you—you’ll have options. The place has eyes— but not mean ones. Very likely wildlife (or phantoms? Eek!) and the bears were my main concern, though I didn’t see one in the flesh. Saw old tracks at my campsite, saw waaaay too much scat when hiking around, and in the morning, though I hadn’t seen or heard anybody, there were extremely fresh tracks leading from the stream on the bank. I had my dog and bear spray with me so I felt secure, but in hindsight, maaaybe should consider extra precautions! Like more people or a firearm… still, it’s a special place and I highly recommend it. I went midweek with the express intent of avoiding other humans, which worked for the most part. Saw some humans but campsites are really private and the place feels just wild. Which I dig. Just be careful with your tasty foods! I keep my trash in a separate cooler to minimize the smell— not sure if it works but it feels safer. Lots of birds, no other critters. Probably because of ALL THE BEARS. 🙂

Quick and easy

We went into the San Isabel National Forest and could not find a spot. We down the mountain off hwy 165 we found this spot. It was a one night trip and our only complaint was the highway noise.

Words Can’t describe how horrible

Never have I been treated so poorly. The owner “Todd” rides around in his golf cart searching for campers doing anything wrong. He throws people out without refunding their money and then rents out the site again. He makes promises at the time of reservation that he does not keep and then tells you if you don’t like it you can leave without a refund. This man, “Todd” could use a class or two in customer service. I don’t know how he is still in business. He hates the police even though he wastes no time calling them. From what I understand they spend plenty of time there escorting poor campers off HIS property. Save yourself some misery and skip Royal View Campground. (The one star is only because you have to put something too bad there is not a negative star because he would get -5.)

Beautiful views!

Great campsite for my family with sites far enough apart for comfort and a great view. There is so much to do around there for the kiddos. We went to the zoo, which is pricy, but I highly recommend. There are several playground as well throughout the park.

Saved our trip

We decided to drive the Phantom Canyon/Shelf Road Loop and camp. We should have secured the campsite first. Both of the main campgrounds were full so out of desperation we drove into Red Canyon. There aren’t many amenities, picnic tables and pit toilets. But what it does have is solitude and really cool red rock formations.

Worth the distance

One of the nicest camp spots I’ve been to. Very accommodating and clean! Only downfall is that it was a bit of a drive to many main attractions in Colorado, but it was worth the drive.

Beautiful location

Tent sites are on the hill and have lovely views. The tent pads are pretty small though. They are great for 1-2 people, but we are a family traveling with pets, so we have a larger tent. Nice community feel. Lots for kids to do. Close to rafting, Royal Gorge and other attractions.

Awesome

Great atmosphere, amazing views…. amenities, pancake breakfasts….. just enough space between you and the next campers…. we will be back.

Beauty beyond measo

If your looking for a place to disconnect from the hustle of everyday life & time into the devine creation then you’ve come to the perfect place. Surrounded by gorgeous scenery, fresh mountain air, beautiful pines, plenty of scenic views. I mean this place truly is a little piece of heaven on earth. A must go for sure!!!

Great campsite

It was a great campsite, have to use fire pits provided. Alcohol is allowed pets are allowed on leash. And most camp sites are within walking distance to the water. Kids loved it! It was cheap to reserve a site ($20+) and entry fee is like $8.