The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Lake Secession , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Lake Secession Camping Reviews
This park is BEAUTIFUL!!

We camped here at Oconee, at site 7, on the Lake Loop, in the middle of May 2020. PERFECT!! We were able to pitch a tent AND had room for my tow vehicle and teardrop camper! The folks that run the Visitor Center were PHENOMENAL! Plenty of room, nice sun and shade areas, EXTREMELY clean bathrooms and bathhouses, wifi, MANY trails to walk and hike, and really awesome buildings and a man made lake, that were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)! I HIGHLY recommend checking this place out, and camping here! We're planning another trip in the Spring!

You can also visit nearby Table Rock State Park, Bald Rock Heritage Preserve, and Riley Moore Falls!

Pioneer camping

Pioneer campsite 1 is very nice.

As stated by another reviewer, if rain is in the forecast, probably would not want to stay.

Large site with fire pit and picnic table. Table is chained to a tree. No tent pad, you can pick where you want to sleep. There are lots of trees for hammocks. And you are right on the water. Rocks shoals right off the site.

The site is down a path from a parking area. There is a water faucet about 1/4 way down the trail.

Phone service with ATT and Sprint/T-Mobile is non existent at the campsite. 200 yards uphill at bathhouse service is available.

Very private site.
Will reserve again.

We loved this place

Nice campground, nice facilities, nice trails.

Quiet area, 0 reception

The area very serene, quiet and pretty. Nice hiking area and swimming area. If you need to get ahold of someone though you'll have to drive 10 to 15 minutes into town.

Great Tent Sites!

Only stayed one of our two nights due to rain but we hope to be back! Our site was great size for our two vehicles to back into. Set up our area and hammocks!

A fun get away in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains

One of the gems of the Palmetto State. Oconee has a variety of hiking trails and private, wooded campsites. The fishing lake has a netted swimming area and the option to rent kayaks and paddle boats. The replica of the historic water wheel is a must see! Be sure to stop at the visitors center for free WiFi because you won't have a cell signal anywhere else :-)

State Park Close to Waterfalls

When I stayed here, there were very few campers. Part of the reason was that school had started, and it was during the middle of the week. That was a good thing since there is limited privacy between the sites. I say limited, but compared to most campgrounds, there is a lot more privacy than some that have very little space between sites. The sites are well shaded, there is electricity and water, there are picnic tables, and lantern poles. The sites are gravel, which is fine for RVs but not necessarily for tent campers. However, there is a separate group tent section. The only other thing I didn’t like about staying here were the mosquitoes, but that’s to be expected in this environment. There are a lot of things to do. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to explore everything, and the beach area was closed. There are two lakes, so I could go fishing and/or kayaking. During the season, peddle boats and canoes are available for rent. There is a really nice playground area for children. When I go back the next time, hopefully with grandchildren, they will take full advantage of that. What really surprised me was the condition of the bath rooms. It was modern and up to date with tiled floors. I felt as if I were in an exclusive resort. There is also a camper recreation building, along with a community building for special events. The trading post is interesting looking with an old ca. 1930s gas pump out front. There is quite a bit of history at this state park. Not only is there a CCC dedication with statue and plaque, but there is also a plaque recognizing the treaty with the Cherokee moving the frontier boundary into what is now Oconee County. The possibilities at this campground seem endless. There is mini-golf, a wildlife habitat, and lots of trails(including the Palmetto Trail), a fishing pier, and one of my favorites—the waterwheel. Overall, I spent too little time here to enjoy it all, but I will definitely want to come back. The only downsides are the gravel for the tents and the minimum two-day reservation system.

Not my favorite

We stayed a weekend. This campground while advertised as a tent friendly.. is definitely more comfortably set up for campers. I also felt the sites were on top of each other. The sites that sit on the water are more of a novelty as you can’t get in the water. There is a swimming area… but it sits way at the end of the park.. no sites near. Trash pick up is nice, but feel like there should be an evening pick up after dinner time. We got in a little early for check in (but never saw anyone at any other campsites) trash all over site not picked up well at all. Also felt for what it was fee was high $28+ (but all sites have power, again set up for campers)

reservation only now. Great place for horse camping

Campground rates are $10 per night and reservations must be made now through recreation.gov

All sites are waterfront On Clark Hill Lake(Strom Thurmond Lake)

If you pack it on, pack it out. There is no trash pickup provided

Great Sites, Great Waterfall Access look

In the midst of all the Covid claustrophobia, it felt amazing to get up to the mountains and feel like being alone was normal.  The site was great, the bathrooms are amazing, and the campground was everything you'd hope an RV/tent-camping place would be.  There are primitive, walk-in sites that had the benefit of added privacy, but with 3 little kids, bathroom proximity was a higher priority this time around.  The waterfalls are closeby and you should really try King's Creek (30 min hike), Reedy Branch (10 min walk) or Yellow Branch (1.5 hr hike), they're some of our favorites.  Hidden Falls is also a hike that starts from the campground, about 1.5 hrs each way. So lovely and remote!Being able to get up in the morning and go to the falls without having to drive 1+ hrs to get there made it just dreamy for our crew!  The fire pit was easy to cook over, there's a mini-golf area and a playground that was closed still while we were there.  We loved it and will definitely be going back, my 5yo hails our time there as "best of the summer" everytime we ask :)