the dyrt
Anderson, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Anderson Camping Reviews
One of my favorite trails in Georgia

Panther Creek was honestly my trip into the world of hiking and backpacking (aside from my military experience). But mice wife got me into hiking again and now we are backpacking a lot! Panther Creek has become probably my favorite place for a great weekend. The hike in campsites are plentiful and most already have fire rings. The trail is well maintained and always clean. Lots of great views here! The falls are a great spot to string up a hammock and just enjoy nature to the fullest. This place is pet friendly and you will see a lot of friendly pups on the trail. At the trailhead you do have s bathroom for those that don’t plan to stay overnight or just want the convenience. Overall Panther Creek is a must see must hike!

Coneross State Park

Hubby and I spent a weekend October 2018 at this beautiful place. Our campsite was right by the water and very spacious. The site has electric and water hookups. Bring your boat, you can pull right up to your campsite. There is a nice beach area for swimming and playground for the kids. The campground doesn’t offer much in way of amenities, but you’ll forget about that once you set up camp and relax by the campfire, roasting a s’more while watching the sun set over the lake.

Beautiful sites, right on the lake

This is a beautiful park. All of Georgia’s state parks are nice, this is one of the nicest. Most sites are right on the lake. It’s very popular in summer and reservations are necessary. When we were there there was a heated dispute between two families over who had reserved a site! Great swimming and fishing! Full hookups, dump station!

Great sites!

We stayed on one of the platform sites for the trip, but walking around we found that nearly all of the sites look great!

The playground is big, but the kids MOST enjoyed the “rock slide” in the creek. We spent most of the day there, and the weather (late August) was perfect!

Staff and camp hosts were very helpful (and we were able to buy wood and ice from the host when we arrived late). Restrooms were a bit of a walk and I saw them being maintained regularly.

Quiet and clean

The kids and I stayed here for a weekend (mid March) to try out our new camper. We got a waterfront site and it was gorgeous! Not as big as some places we have been, but large enough. Some of the non-waterfront sites appeared to be MUCH smaller.

The restrooms in our area were spotless and cleaned multiple times per day. My son said the ones near the beach area had a few spider webs, but considering it wasn’t even remotely warm yet, they probably weren’t being maintained as often as the campground ones just yet.

Staff was friendly and helpful, fishing was so-so (from the back of our campsite, anyway, and probably moreso due to our lack of skill than actual fish quantity). They have recently repaved the roads and it was very easy to get around. There are two playgrounds: a larger one by the beach and a smaller one in the campground area (which also has a huge field).

Our spot was level left to right but had a slight slope front to back.

Can’t beat it for the price

$10 bucks a night, sites spaced far enough apart to be comfortable, waterfront, not over crowded. I think it is worth the drive over some of the more crowded places. Each site has a pick nick table and fire ring, a few had charcoal grills on stands but not all. First come first serve, bring exact money because it’s just a drop box. It’s primitive camping so bring your own water, no electricity. No trash dumpster either so be prepared to pack if out . Cell service was spotty on Verizon but I was able to get and receive calls and a few txts although they seemed very delayed .

September Camper

I've been here twice and enjoyed both my stays. The bathrooms are clean. The sites are clean. The hosts are very friendly. It's quiet during the week. On the weekends it can be a little noisy but not a bad noisy. Mainly kids squealing laughing and just being kids. I would definitely recommend camping here.

Beautiful Trails and Falls, Barebones Campgrounds

My girlfriend and I camped at Gorges State Park for a few days in October of 2017. The trails are excellent and they were in great condition when we visited. The waterfalls are beautiful and it isn't a very strenuous hike to Rainbow Falls.

Camping seems to be hit or miss. The campsites aren't bad, but during our stay the privy pit was nearly unusable, so we dug our own. The access road to the campsite trail was closed as well, so the hike to the campsite from the parking lot felt closer to 3 miles. Given the lack of amenities and the distance to the Raymond Fisher campgrounds, I'd advise that you snag one of the primitive backcountry sites instead. They are situated along the main trail to Rainbow Falls, and almost every backcountry site was in a nice spot with easy access to the stream. Be aware that many of these backcountry sites are directly adjacent to the trail, and hikers will probably pass by your campsite.

If you are camping, expect bears. I don't know if this is still an issue, but we had a bear messing with our stuff every night. It didn't exactly bother us, but we did have to hang our trash and food far from the campsite while we slept. It made us a little nervous because we were the only campers there and you are miles from your car, but it didn't come close enough to our tent to really frighten us.

That being said, we had an incredible time and would definitely return. Despite being in a state park campground it still felt very secluded, and we felt that all the set backs made it more of an adventure.

Beautiful hidden Gem

This campground is very beautiful and peaceful. It has trails, a little beach to swim, and a wonderful playground. The bathrooms were beautiful. Lots of waterfalls nearby to explore and a beautiful winery nearby. Our family loves this park. The park ranger is very helpful and kind. A must visit.

Wonderful Campground

This is a very beautiful campground. Sites are very well kept and clean. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. The staff was amazing and helpful. Prime location to so many amazing places. The pool was nice and clean! Will def. camp here again.

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

Great camp ground

This park has a great group camp sites. We have taken are cub scouts and Boy Scout troop here many times. The RV camp ground has too side a larger side which is newer and an older side. The older of the RV camp site is a little Tight but can 1 get a 40ft trailer in with no problem. The new side has Plenty of room for large RV. Bath houses are clean and well Maintain. Staff is great to work with. Bring your fishing rod Plenty of fishing. There is also a great swimming area and playgrounds.

Clean, friendly and quiet.

Great hiking trails. Beautiful covered bridge.

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

Love!!!

I absolutely loved these primitive campsites and was so bummed when they started to tear them down to make cabins. The campsites are very secluded and right on the lake. The bathrooms are within walking distance and there are also playgrounds, a sand volleyball court, and picnic tables. Make sure to book a few weeks ahead of time if you are camping on a holiday!

So Diverse

This place is so beautiful and offers a variety of things to do. My family and I come here all the time to fish in the rivers. They also have a lot of nearby hiking/biking trails for all skill levels. I would give it 10 stars if I could!

Worth it just for the view

I live roughly 10 minutes from Table Rock and go there all the time especially during the summer. The Table Rock trail is a must if you are nearby! It is pretty strenuous especially if you have health issues but is well worth the trek to the top. Just make sure that if you hike during the winter to give yourself plenty of time to finish the trail and to wear good trail shoes since ice can be expected. The campsites are always very well kept; as is the park in general but gets pretty crowded.

Backwoods camping and nice trails

Paris mountain is a personal favorite of mine and take any chance to go. This is a great dog friendly park with clean trails, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Now is the time to go as it is less crowded and and the leaves are changing color.

Very Secluded

I absolutely love this campground! It’s a bit of a longer hike to get to the primitive campsites but is worth its since it’s along a river for the most part and the sites are not that close to each other either. I haven’t seen many people camping during the winter months, although during the summer and fall it gets booked quickly. But make sure to call ahead of time because every time that we have called short notice they have been closed or booked. Nearby the visitor center are the bathrooms and fish hatchery (all of which are kept very clean).

Hidden Gem

This place is wonderful! My friend and I hiked the Raven Cliff Falls loop trail a while back and have added it to our list of top 10 favorite trails. I was really bummed about the removal of the cable crossing, but still loved the trail due to climbing ladders and walking along The Cathedral! I strongly suggest wearing waterproof hiking boots/trail runners as there is lots of water on the trail and because the Dismal Trail is a steep climb to the lookout.

alright

its a good place to stay for a few days a lot to see and beautiful views.

Great Weekend Trips

There are 3 trailside primitive campsites that are on a peninsula overlooking Lake Keowee. Although only one of them is considered on the shore, they are all within walking distance (down a little hill) from the shore. But make sure to check the water level; I’ve had to help push boats back into the water a few times and there has also been instances when our canoe floated off when the water rose. Parts of the trail feature waterfalls and overlooks onto the lake which is a great photo opportunity. Apart from hiking in, there is a canoe/kayak ramp available about 1/2 mile to the campsites. There is also a rentable cabin, paved primitive/RV campsites, and a bath house available.

Favorite Spot

There are so many campsite available through Jocassee. Currently my favorite campsites lie off of the Canebrake Trail and connect with the Foothills Trail. My family and I mainly hike to the first-come-first-serve campsites but there are also a lot of boaters tying off at the shoreline. It features two bridges and a waterfall/river. The reservable campsites right across from the concession building on the other side of the lake are also well kept and are considered drive-in which is useful if you plan to stay only a few days, but they are too close to one another for my taste. I would recommend reserving campsites plenty of time ahead as it gets filled up quickly, especially on holidays and during the summer.

Fall Vacation

The campground is pretty old. That said the showers are warm and there’s a flush toilets, so it beats a straddle trench in Afghan, but not a penthouse master bath in Asheville.

There’s numerous sites, and they are now available online to reserve through recreation.gov.

We stayed on campsite # 11 which abuts against a small creek. Each site has its own grill pit and a grate that swings out over the the Pitt as well.

The campground was probably 80% occupied and seemed like it could be a possible base camp for some hunters. The only bad thing was, there were some loud kids screaming at six in the morning, I came to get solitude so this and the prison style all metal toilet are the only reason I gave it 4 stars.

There was one trail that myself and my better half went down. It was about 3 miles. We just wanted to take it easy, so we didn’t go on the foothills trail about 1 mile or so away on the same road the campground is on. It’s hard to see, but it it has one or two parking spots on a turn off for it. On the way out we saw hikers going in from there so it is probably a popular headway.

All in all we had a great time, the ranger/ host had firewood available for sale (20pieces and some kindling for 10$)would definitely go back, and keep exploring the area for overnights and stay here as a base camp.

Family-friendly with little privacy

Campground is very family-friendly! Definitely a campground to bring your bikes to ride around in. Campground has a small playground and store. Some campsites are way too small, even for people staying in tents; however, changing sites was easy. Issaqueena Falls is a MUST see only 11 minutes from the State Park. Enjoyed our time, met some nice people since campsites were so close. We would go back!

Nice and shady sites

On beautiful Lake Jocassee the campgrounds is close by. Very nice size and very shaded.

Beautiful & quiet

Most every site is on the water and a big discount for seniors with a Golden Eagle National Park Pass.

Fairly clean with great water

I randomly stumbled across this camp recently. It is a Christian retreat that holds religious summer camps as well as boy/girl scouts retreats. As for hiking trails there’s a few within the camp some including caves, waterfalls, and river cable crossings. My favorite part about this location is that you can access Ceaser’s head state park from the Asbury Hills camp.

Awsome camp site in the middle of nowhere

I did not camp here yet. I start my hike here. Have to say I can not wait to camp here. It is a bit of a walk down a rode to get here and saw a Father and son taking there stuff down with a hand truck which is a very good idea. So you can either backpack it in or take a wagon to take your stuff in. Nice sites by the river and lots of secluded sites.