THE BEST CAMPING IN
South Carolina
Camping South Carolina

With four distinct geographical environments, South Carolina offers a wide variety of terrain, natural history, and climate in one relatively small state. With the option to drive from the mountains to the Atlantic coast in a few hours, camping in South Carolina is a great choice for those who want variety without a ton of travel time.

The state’s far northwest corner is home to mountains that rise above the foothills, appearing blue against the horizon. The Blue Ridge, arguably the most famous stretch of the Appalachians, provide a welcome respite from the hot South Carolina summers. In autumn, The Blue Ridge Mountains draw visitors from around the country to take in the breathtaking fall displays of color across the mountainsides. And no matter what season, camping in South Carolina would not be complete without a trip to iconic Table Rock or Sassafras Mountain – the highest point in the SC Blue Ridge Mountains.

A few hours south of the Blue Ridge, campers can set sail on Lake Murray, enjoy world-renowned fishing, or enjoy beach-front camping at Dreher Island State Park. The lake, a reservoir for the entire midlands area of the state, covers roughly 50000 acres and has 500 miles of shoreline. Lake Murray, which is a prime spot for fishing, has hosted 3 national fishing tournaments in the last 15 years and is home to several species of bass, crappie, bream, and other sport fishing favorites.

The stunning South Carolina coast is less than 3 hours from state capitol, Columbia, and boasts more than 200 miles of Atlantic coastline beauty. With more campgrounds up and down the coast than you can shake a stick at, trust The Dyrt to help you find the best camping in South Carolina!

Recent Reviews in South Carolina
First time at a KOA

Stopped here for an overnight on our way south. We had a pull-thru full hookup site. It was relatively level but not perfect. Main bath house was under construction and not available. There is a bar, convenience store, and RV service center at the entrance which is convenient. We didn’t have time to look around the campground much but it served it’s purpose for us. Oh, there are no fire rings but it claims on their site that you can build one in the gravel. We didn’t see a single other site with a fire.

Great Value and Amenities

This is a great place to camp at the beach. Yes it is not beachfront and you do have about 300-400 yards to go to get to the beach, but is that really worth the extra $40-60 per night in fees. The sites were all well kept and shady. Some sites are tight for Big Rigs but ours was perfect for our 40' 5er. You will read others complain about the airline noise, yes the campground is on the flight path, but, so are another 2 campgrounds that charge about double what the state park does. The airlines never really bothered us during our stay as we were up and doing something from daylight to dark. I will definitely be coming back here.

Probably the coolest place to camp in South Carolina.

Book your trip a few months in advance, get a spot on the water. Sites are a little small, and close together, but the sunrise from your tent/site is totally worth it. Amazing water clarity, bring a kayak. If you enjoy fishing there’s great trout.

Weird weekend

February 2017. Spent 2 nights with a decent sized group of friends. There was a renaissance fair going on, bunch of people LARPing like it was medieval times. Knights and swords and peasants and stuff. 10/10 would watch again. Creek is fun to float in the summer.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Great little place

Nothing to do here but camp and enjoy the day. They will have a beautiful when it fills up. Good hiking trails

Very nice

We have been a few times and really like it. The staff are very friendly. The bath houses and park are always really clean.

Outstanding

Great park, few pictures from the island.

Tiny Treasure

Had the opportunity to stop by for one night as we returned from Hunting Island State Park.  This is a hidden little gem that is on my list to spend a couple of nights at.  They coyotes howling at night were insane but to me that adds to the camping experience.

Wildness at heart

Hunting Island State Park is my favorite of the coastal state parks.  The wildness at the heart of this gem is undeniable.  Hurricanes have not been kind to it over the past few years but it has stood the test of time and shows us all how to adapt and roll with the storms that come through life.  If you want to visit a state park that allows you to get in touch with your wild side you must check this place out.

Huntington Beach State Park is beautiful and basically being across the road from Brookgreen Gardens just adds to the beauty.  Have had the opportunity to camp here twice.  Not much privacy between sites but the park is nice.  The birding and wildlife are amazing, especially when you consider how close you are to the rambunctiousness of Myrtle Beach.  Needs to be on your list.

Peaceful

Having visited all of the State Parks on the coast Edisto Beach State Park ranks right up there at the top.  We have had the opportunity to stay at the ocean front portion and the Live Oak portion (twice).  Frankly, the Live Oak is probably our favorite.  While the ocean front was nice and we happen to be just across the dune from the ocean it feels more crowded.  The Live Oak offers more privacy and we love the woods and shade.  We pack our stuff in the car for the day and make our way to the beach for the day then head back to our private campsite at Live Oak for a nice quiet relaxing evening.  Either way you can't go wrong with Edisto Beach State Park.

New Construction

New phase 2 Area. Location on map is incorrect. CG is located east of Jenkinville on SC-215. Definitely for both long term and overnight RV. We have been here for a month. Aside from the commute to anywhere this is a good campground. The staff is what makes it a 5 star along with the awesome sunsets.

Amazing vacation

Best RV Resort we’ve been to so far. Large lots with nice long pull through, clean and quiet with a friendly staff. Amenities included nice swimming pool and hot tub. Volleyball net and basketball hoop on each end of pool. Shuffleboard, corn hole, sand volleyball. Game room had a pool table, ping pong table, air hockey. Books galore to borrow, DVDs if you have a player which we don’t, but we don’t camp to watch TV. Store had a puzzle you could spend time working on and a checkerboard with rocking chairs to just hang out in. The lake beach was closed for the season when we went but the inflatables looked like they would have been fun! Mile long paved path around the lake was great for walking or biking. Catch and release fishing too. Had a mix of annuals, short term campers and on the other side of the lake they had nice cabins and a small park model village. Exercise room and a nice clean laundry room. Bath house was 8 individual doors to full individual bathrooms of toilet sink and shower which were kept very clean. Cherry Grove beach was only 15 minutes or so away and there was a Food Lion less than 10 minutes for grocery shopping needs. Resort store had reasonable prices for ice and wood to burn in the fire pit. Only negatives which weren’t a big deal was nothing can be strapped to trees… aka no laundry line or hammock attached to the trees and no tents allowed. We will go back! Wish it was closer to home.

Words cannot describe!!!

Worst campground I have ever stayed at in 30 plus years.. Small/narrow sites with half a picnic table.. was supposed to have 50 amp only thirty. No internet though advertised.. Tree branches and debris everywhere.. And expensive..

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

OK for passing through

Camp Pedro at South Carolina's Mexican-themed South of the Border is a year-round campground, about one-tenth of a mile off I-95, has 100 RV sites -- no tents -- with full hookups, almost 50 pull-throughs for big rigs, showers and laundry facilities. This place is like a small town, with service stations, drug, grocery, gift and fireworks stores, five restaurants and an ice cream parlor. You don't have to camp here to enjoy the on-site recreation amenities that include two swimming pools, basketball and tennis courts, game rooms and a miniature golf course. Which makes this a passing through spot for me. I can’t relax here. But to each his own.

Good for primitive or hunters

Dispersed camping with fire pits. Definitely more primitive and is used mostly by hunters. Very quiet if you want to get away from everything when not hunting season

Quad Overload of Steps

I'll admit that I'm not in my best shape ever but also know it's not my worst shape, this was full leg workout for 4 miles up as well as 4 miles back down. I highly recommend in the warmer months you get on the trail as early as possible. It opens at 7am. Bring plenty of water. The views along the way are beautiful and when you get to the top at the main overlook is fabulous too. I say the main overlook as there are a couple spots like right at Governors Rock is deep into the trail…but not the main view.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Myrtle Beach State Park

Campground Review:

Do you love people? Do you love the ocean? Do you love airplanes?

Then Myrtle Beach State Park is for you!

It's a great park--it's got lots of campsites, a beautiful beach, and amenities like a playground, a nature center with educational programs, and a fishing pier.

The campground is well-staffed with rangers, hosts, and volunteers.  The bathrooms are large and clean. (Hand soap is provided but there are no paper towels, just blowers). The campgrounds are well-maintained and tidy.  The trash and recycling stations are conveniently located.

The campground, particularly site 171, is directly under the flight path for planes departing from Myrtle Beach International Airport.  The flights start around 6 am and go until 11 pm or so.  The planes haven't gotten much altitude before they are roaring above your tent, hammock, or camper!

Sites are close together and there is little to no privacy.  Site 171, however, seemed to be the best one for tents, with a deep and wide site and a few trees--enough to hang our 4 hammocks.

Quiet hours were not enforced and traffic noise is easily heard, especially fire truck and police car sirens well into the night and early morning.  The park staff raced past our site frequently on tractors and golf carts once it was after 7 am.

Mosquitoes are in full force here.  The county had sprayed for them the night before we arrived.  Maybe they don't spray the tent sites, but the mosquitoes were insane.  Bring plenty of spray, wipes, and one of those bug zapper tennis rackets.  You will definitely need protection!  The camp store sells mosquito spray for twice as much as it costs across the street at Walmart.

Also, the raccoons were at our site both nights.  They are fearless and hungry.  Lock up your food, your coolers, and your trash.  They do know how to open up latches!!!

Bring a bike and/or a beach cart to get around and transport your stuff to the beach for the day.  The campground is about 300 yards from the beach and it's so nice, you'll want to spend the whole day there, then go out at night to look for creatures and enjoy the ocean breeze.

--------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the Morsel Spork (mini and XL).

I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort of using the Sporks.  I was worried they'd be awkward and unwieldy, but the creators put thought into how they are being held by the eater.  My thumb rested nicely in a groove near the top of the utensil.  The rubbery edge worked as intended to completely scrape the sides of the bowl, but an added bonus was that the rubber made the spoon edges soft where it met the skin of my mouth.

The spoon holds much more (cereal and beans, in our case) than it looks like it would.  The fork works, but I'd like thinner tines to better stab food items.  The serrated edge?  Well, it crushes rather than cuts.

I love the different colors and unique shape of the Spork(s).  They will be going on every camping trip with us.  They are easy to tell which fork is whose, and won't be lost in the cutlery shuffle when we're camping with a group of friends.  They're good for kids and adults!

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

Perfect

We had a great site and was surprised how much room for a KOA. Loved being able to explore the city with the help and guidance of the staff. Our fave was the wagon ride to the plantation next door.

Fun, Family Campground at Myrtle Beach

Ocean Lakes is HUGE and has everything you could possibly want. Plenty to do for kids and adults if you get tired of the beach lol. Lots of activities for kids, great store, food and ice cream on-site. You can’t go wrong with Ocean Lakes. We have friends that have permanent sites here and visit often.

Great family camping

If you have a boat or jetski there is a ramp. Has showers and restrooms. Mostly for RVs however there are a few tent sites that have tree cover. The RV sites don't really offer any trees for shade. The lake is great for swimming. The campground also offers paddle board and kayak rentals. The campground has a gate that gets locked at 10 pm. You can leave but you can't come back into the campground after the gate gets locked.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Apparel at Paris Mountain State Park

Campground Review:

Paris Mountain State Park is just a short drive outside of Greenville, SC, but seems a world away. It is beautiful in all seasons. The campground is a typical state campground. Water, electric, fire ring, and picnic table were at our site. We stayed at #39 which was fine for our needs. If you had any sort of rig, we would NOT recommend this spot. The concrete was in poor shape and would make for a leveling nightmare. We voted we’d stay in #40 next time. It was a pull through with a creek running by the fire ring. The shower house was perfectly adequate and clean. Their reservation system was easy. We enjoyed all of the hiking options and the swimming area in the park.

--------------------

Product Review:

As Rangers for The Dyrt, we get to test products from time to time– today we tested Banner & Oak apparel www.bannerandoak.com. We loved their trucker hats. They were breathable, and held their shape under the sweat from a hard hike. We felt they were very attractive as well. As a long torso’d and arm’d couple, we both noticed right away and appreciated the length of the shirts themselves and the length of the sleeves on the long-sleeved shirt. There is nothing worse than washing shirts and having to stretch the heck out of them to try to get them back to looking presentable. We have no fear our Banner & Oak short and long-sleeved shirts will not give us this trouble. They worked well under our packs and we didn’t find ourselves needing to pull down our shirt every few mins or so. As a larger busted woman, however, their Women’s Large ran a bit small in the chest. I normally wear a Large which gives me some room to move around, but I wish I would have ordered my shirt in a XL. It is a tight fit. All in all, we really liked Banner & Oak’s apparel, in style, cut (mostly), and comfort. The shirt material is super soft and we could see ourselves ordering more from their site.

Cool evenings and shaded spaces

We stayed here for a weekend in July 18, I really appreciated the shaded site and the ac! Nice campground to walk around with a few hiking trails.

Lovely campground on lake Keowee

Spacious sites with some drive through, short walk to the lake and other activities, playground. Very nice stay for a weekend.

Beautiful site in the lake

We had an excellent weekend stay at site 16, lovely lake view of Hartwell, power and water hookups only. Everything looks great and well maintained, our site was right on the lake and had a large area for the grill and picnic table with cross tie steps and walls. Beautiful campground we stayed in September 18 in a motorhome.