the dyrt
THE BEST CAMPING IN
South Carolina

With four distinct geographical environments, South Carolina offers a wide variety of terrain, natural history, and climate in one relatively small state. With the option to drive from the mountains to the Atlantic coast in a few hours, camping in South Carolina is a great choice for those who want variety without a ton of travel time.

The state’s far northwest corner is home to mountains that rise above the foothills, appearing blue against the horizon. The Blue Ridge, arguably the most famous stretch of the Appalachians, provide a welcome respite from the hot South Carolina summers. In autumn, The Blue Ridge Mountains draw visitors from around the country to take in the breathtaking fall displays of color across the mountainsides. And no matter what season, camping in South Carolina would not be complete without a trip to iconic Table Rock or Sassafras Mountain – the highest point in the SC Blue Ridge Mountains.

A few hours south of the Blue Ridge, campers can set sail on Lake Murray, enjoy world-renowned fishing, or enjoy beach-front camping at Dreher Island State Park. The lake, a reservoir for the entire midlands area of the state, covers roughly 50000 acres and has 500 miles of shoreline. Lake Murray, which is a prime spot for fishing, has hosted 3 national fishing tournaments in the last 15 years and is home to several species of bass, crappie, bream, and other sport fishing favorites.

The stunning South Carolina coast is less than 3 hours from state capitol, Columbia, and boasts more than 200 miles of Atlantic coastline beauty. With more campgrounds up and down the coast than you can shake a stick at, trust The Dyrt to help you find the best camping in South Carolina!

EXPLORE SOUTH CAROLINA
Recent Reviews in South Carolina
Beautiful spot of nature.

We camped here for 3 nights with our dogs. The only reason I'm giving 4 out of 5 stars is the campground was just super crowded. Some of the campsites don't have much privacy. But the campground facilities were top notch. I've never seen such a nice and clean bathhouse at a campground. The park staff was super nice too. There is a camp and souvenir store at the campground entrance that has everything you need. The landscape was just breathtaking. There are palm trees right on the beach and you could walk for miles right on it. It's also just a short walk to the lighthouse. There are multiple hiking trail to explore the maritime forest. It's definitely worth it. I would camp there again but I think during the week it's a little less crowded and more quiet. I'm also glad we came in November and bugs and mosquitos weren't a big problem.

Great location, awesome staff

The Hilton Head RV Resort is a great place for RVs. The staff here is super friendly and helpful. The whole campground is well maintained and clean. There are 30 & 50 amp hookups at all sites as well as city water. The only downside to this place is, all of the sites are back in. There are a few sites that are long enough to pull into, but none are pull through.

Decent campground, but you'll hear airplanes all day

Pros: the facilities at this campground are nice, and it has free hot showers. There is some privacy between sites, and the camp store is convenient. There is also a short walk or drive to the beach itself, which is a nice beach.

Cons: this campground is right near the airport, so you will hear airplanes all day (and most of the night). Because of that, I wouldn't stay here again unless I was passing through.

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

Love!!!

I absolutely loved these primitive campsites and was so bummed when they started to tear them down to make cabins. The campsites are very secluded and right on the lake. The bathrooms are within walking distance and there are also playgrounds, a sand volleyball court, and picnic tables. Make sure to book a few weeks ahead of time if you are camping on a holiday!

Worth it just for the view

I live roughly 10 minutes from Table Rock and go there all the time especially during the summer. The Table Rock trail is a must if you are nearby! It is pretty strenuous especially if you have health issues but is well worth the trek to the top. Just make sure that if you hike during the winter to give yourself plenty of time to finish the trail and to wear good trail shoes since ice can be expected. The campsites are always very well kept; as is the park in general but gets pretty crowded.

Get rid of your furried kids before entering!

It’s great how they pick up the trash.

What I didn’t like,

ANYWAY THEY CAN MAKE MONEY OFF THEY WILL, including YOUR VISITORS, $3per day time, if they wanna stay $5.

Mini golf costs.

One load of laundry will cost you $2, dryer $.25 for 6 minutes.

If you need to get a taxi, forget about it NO ONE is allowed on grounds without a pass.

Excessive barking of your puppy means your dog might bark for three minutes at the time. Leaving your dog in a fenced in area, while you have to use the facilities for number one( so what? About 2 minutes) is considered leaving your animal unsupervised.

Lawn WILL BE MOWED ON SUNDAYS, NO(!!!!!!!!) exceptions.

Pool is great, so is the lazy river.

Besides that the ground is old, it’s clean. Access to the Atlantic is great.

Mail will not be delivered, you have to sieve through your initials entire mail.

Quiet hours are enforced UNLESS someone starts packing up at 5.00 AM which will set your dog off and no matter that it is inside your trailer, it’s a reason to threaten you with eviction.

Best you get rid of the dog before you enter Pirateland.

Kids friendly. Youngsters seem to have fun at the splash pool. Playground seems to be deserted all the time.

Staff, cleaning and grounds keeping, is very friendly, while office won’t let you finish your sentences after paying up, nor are they willing to answer questions why breaking down a camp next to you at 5 AM loudly is okay.

Don’t attach Republican bumper stickers to your car, they’ll fall of the car at night.

The internet sucks, cable has moments when overloaded, but cell is great, so one may use personal hot spot as compensation.

Trailers also arrive at 21.00. No one can get setting up done in an hour until quiet time starts, but remember dogs aren’t allowed to bark if they hear ruckus outside.

If you ask me about my feelings, I felt like a prisoner, not being able to sleep in Monday’s, because I had to drive hubby to airport at 4 AM, due to his business trips and cabs can’t puck him up, I’m confined to the RV due to my dog barking, which had to be stopped even in your own trailer immediately.and yes, we were threatened with eviction.

Backwoods camping and nice trails

Paris mountain is a personal favorite of mine and take any chance to go. This is a great dog friendly park with clean trails, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Now is the time to go as it is less crowded and and the leaves are changing color.

Very Secluded

I absolutely love this campground! It’s a bit of a longer hike to get to the primitive campsites but is worth its since it’s along a river for the most part and the sites are not that close to each other either. I haven’t seen many people camping during the winter months, although during the summer and fall it gets booked quickly. But make sure to call ahead of time because every time that we have called short notice they have been closed or booked. Nearby the visitor center are the bathrooms and fish hatchery (all of which are kept very clean).

Great camping in Sumter

Stayed at site # 36, this is the best one. There are 2 loops, first loop for the RVs and the second loop for tent and small pop ups. Tables, fire ring, water at each site. There is a bath house, very clean.

The hiking trails are very well marked, get map at ranger station.

Amazing All Around

Edisto is hands-down my absolute favorite beach! My family goes multiple times a year, every year. I love the fact that Edisto is so small that you can even walk from one side of the island to the other (we bring bikes) and it is a lesser known area so less people on the beaches. There is so much wildlife to be seen between dolphins, alligators, sea turtles, and the best crabbing! They were hit pretty hard with hurricanes and are trying to reopen the park but there are a lot of non expensive rentable homes/apartments. Also if you are wanting some nightlife then Charleston is around an hour away!

Hidden Gem

This place is wonderful! My friend and I hiked the Raven Cliff Falls loop trail a while back and have added it to our list of top 10 favorite trails. I was really bummed about the removal of the cable crossing, but still loved the trail due to climbing ladders and walking along The Cathedral! I strongly suggest wearing waterproof hiking boots/trail runners as there is lots of water on the trail and because the Dismal Trail is a steep climb to the lookout.

Poinsett

It was great, the lake was warm and beautiful, and it was right next to devils fork state park so we could go there as well.

Great Weekend Trips

There are 3 trailside primitive campsites that are on a peninsula overlooking Lake Keowee. Although only one of them is considered on the shore, they are all within walking distance (down a little hill) from the shore. But make sure to check the water level; I’ve had to help push boats back into the water a few times and there has also been instances when our canoe floated off when the water rose. Parts of the trail feature waterfalls and overlooks onto the lake which is a great photo opportunity. Apart from hiking in, there is a canoe/kayak ramp available about 1/2 mile to the campsites. There is also a rentable cabin, paved primitive/RV campsites, and a bath house available.

Favorite Spot

There are so many campsite available through Jocassee. Currently my favorite campsites lie off of the Canebrake Trail and connect with the Foothills Trail. My family and I mainly hike to the first-come-first-serve campsites but there are also a lot of boaters tying off at the shoreline. It features two bridges and a waterfall/river. The reservable campsites right across from the concession building on the other side of the lake are also well kept and are considered drive-in which is useful if you plan to stay only a few days, but they are too close to one another for my taste. I would recommend reserving campsites plenty of time ahead as it gets filled up quickly, especially on holidays and during the summer.

Fall Vacation

The campground is pretty old. That said the showers are warm and there’s a flush toilets, so it beats a straddle trench in Afghan, but not a penthouse master bath in Asheville.

There’s numerous sites, and they are now available online to reserve through recreation.gov.

We stayed on campsite # 11 which abuts against a small creek. Each site has its own grill pit and a grate that swings out over the the Pitt as well.

The campground was probably 80% occupied and seemed like it could be a possible base camp for some hunters. The only bad thing was, there were some loud kids screaming at six in the morning, I came to get solitude so this and the prison style all metal toilet are the only reason I gave it 4 stars.

There was one trail that myself and my better half went down. It was about 3 miles. We just wanted to take it easy, so we didn’t go on the foothills trail about 1 mile or so away on the same road the campground is on. It’s hard to see, but it it has one or two parking spots on a turn off for it. On the way out we saw hikers going in from there so it is probably a popular headway.

All in all we had a great time, the ranger/ host had firewood available for sale (20pieces and some kindling for 10$)would definitely go back, and keep exploring the area for overnights and stay here as a base camp.

Family-friendly with little privacy

Campground is very family-friendly! Definitely a campground to bring your bikes to ride around in. Campground has a small playground and store. Some campsites are way too small, even for people staying in tents; however, changing sites was easy. Issaqueena Falls is a MUST see only 11 minutes from the State Park. Enjoyed our time, met some nice people since campsites were so close. We would go back!

Nice and shady sites

On beautiful Lake Jocassee the campgrounds is close by. Very nice size and very shaded.

Beautiful & quiet

Most every site is on the water and a big discount for seniors with a Golden Eagle National Park Pass.

Gorgeous

This park is stunning and perfect for pups to come along!

Unique outdoor learning opportunity

Camping is not open to the general public at this wildlife preserve. However, for the purpose of environmental education programs and research activity, school groups and youth groups are welcome to visit the preserve for ranger led programs and can stay overnight at special rustic group campsites. This is with the permission of the refuge, and you must contact the station to obtain a permit. Camping is free, but the camping ground is required to do some kind of service learning project while in residence, and/or submit a list of species observed or studied while in residence. Independent researchers wanting to study the unique landscape, habitats, flora and fauna of the preserve may also apply for permits to camp here as well. This is a unique opportunity in a unique location! Hiking, fishing, and boating are also available, in addition to wildlife watching and nature study. Read more about the preserve here: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Carolina_Sandhills/visit/plan_your_visit.html

you can print out a brochure here: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/CarolinaSandhillsBrochure.pdf

If you just want general day use recreation in the preserve, you can also camp nearby in the Sandhills State Forest: https://www.state.sc.us/forest/refshill.htm#rec

Great park on the ocean. Hiking and nature trails

Beautiful state park. Nature trails, nice size lots, clean, plenty of space. Close to night life, if you are looking for that too

Central location for Charleston

Nice park with lots to do. Central location for visiting Charleston and Fort Sumpter and the Low Country. Great dog park with lake! We had 2 days of heavy rain and some sites flooded, but everything drained well. Clean showers. Water park/splash pad.

Great Oceafront Resort

Wonderful campground. Two differnt sections one wooded and shaded other in dead sun but closer to Ocean. Excellent pool and lazy river, arcade, games, pool activites, Fun Entertainment such as Karoke, bands, DJ parties

Aweome RV Resort

Wonderful RV Resort right on the water. It has a 5 star resturant it is located beside the Harbor master. You get to watch the boats come in and out. They have 2 pools. They also have jet ski rentals.

Fairly clean with great water

I randomly stumbled across this camp recently. It is a Christian retreat that holds religious summer camps as well as boy/girl scouts retreats. As for hiking trails there’s a few within the camp some including caves, waterfalls, and river cable crossings. My favorite part about this location is that you can access Ceaser’s head state park from the Asbury Hills camp.

Simply Amazing

This is by far our favorite place to camp so far. Great family fun in the lake on inflatables. Family events, ice cream social, hot dog sales, dance party and nice clean bathhouses. Close to amazing seafood. Huge facility but, not crowded.

Awsome camp site in the middle of nowhere

I did not camp here yet. I start my hike here. Have to say I can not wait to camp here. It is a bit of a walk down a rode to get here and saw a Father and son taking there stuff down with a hand truck which is a very good idea. So you can either backpack it in or take a wagon to take your stuff in. Nice sites by the river and lots of secluded sites.

Nice place to stay.

So I came right when the office was closing and the park range was so nice to unlock and boot up her computer to get me a site to camp for the night.. I got a site by the lake which was made definitely made for campers and not for tents. Was hard to find a flat site and ended up sleeping on a small incline. I did not check out much of the park since it was dark and I got up early In the morning to hit the smokies but from what I seen the park is very beautiful and I will come back. Also visit the lake a dusk to watch the bats.

Great for families

Variety of campsites available to suit any camping style. Great for families, as there are drive up camp sites with fire pits and plenty of space, and spread out so it still feels like you have privacy. Lots of great hikes.