The best camping in
South Carolina

Camping South Carolina

With four distinct geographical environments, South Carolina offers a wide variety of terrain, natural history, and climate in one relatively small state. With the option to drive from the mountains to the Atlantic coast in a few hours, camping in South Carolina is a great choice for those who want variety without a ton of travel time.

The state’s far northwest corner is home to mountains that rise above the foothills, appearing blue against the horizon. The Blue Ridge, arguably the most famous stretch of the Appalachians, provide a welcome respite from the hot South Carolina summers. In autumn, The Blue Ridge Mountains draw visitors from around the country to take in the breathtaking fall displays of color across the mountainsides. And no matter what season, camping in South Carolina would not be complete without a trip to iconic Table Rock or Sassafras Mountain – the highest point in the SC Blue Ridge Mountains.

A few hours south of the Blue Ridge, campers can set sail on Lake Murray, enjoy world-renowned fishing, or enjoy beach-front camping at Dreher Island State Park. The lake, a reservoir for the entire midlands area of the state, covers roughly 50000 acres and has 500 miles of shoreline. Lake Murray, which is a prime spot for fishing, has hosted 3 national fishing tournaments in the last 15 years and is home to several species of bass, crappie, bream, and other sport fishing favorites.

The stunning South Carolina coast is less than 3 hours from state capitol, Columbia, and boasts more than 200 miles of Atlantic coastline beauty. With more campgrounds up and down the coast than you can shake a stick at, trust The Dyrt to help you find the best camping in South Carolina!

Recent Reviews in South Carolina
This is a nice park

This park has really really long spaces. It’s great for when towing a long trailer too but be mindful that there is a whole pile of trees. So when making reservations make sure you let them know you need something long but also easily accessible too.

Hidden Gem

Definitely one of our favorite state park! Super clean, wooded, and right on the lake.

Small campground with beautiful view

We stayed on site 16 right on the lake. Beautiful views. Our site was very steep, so took a lot to get level, but it was ok. The rangers we're very nice and helpful. Took a walk on the nature trail and it was a nice, short hike and then we looked at the museum and schoolhouse. The only downside is that you could hear the traffic at the campsites. Other than that it was a great spot.

It depends

It depends on what you want. Nobody else was there when I was there this past summer and so I was able to let my dogs roam freely. If that's what you want, there is plenty of space and since nobody else is there, there is privacy. However, the shower/bath houses that belonged to the camping area have been decommissioned and the only bathrooms, which are new, are therefore quite a distance because they're now in the day-use only area. I have pictures of the campsite somewhere I think. I did get chiggers from the whole experience.

Very nice and clean

Paved campsites. Clean bath houses. Nice shores, not too rocky. No red clay.

Awesome beach camping

Edisto is such a great destination. The RV sites are right on the beach– it’s amazing. From some of the sites, you can see the ocean from inside your rig. There is a short walk to get out to the beach, but that’s not bad at all. During the winter the beach is still amazing and it is a lot cheaper than staying there in the summer! The bathrooms are ok. The water there is safe to drink, but has a bit of an odor. So, if it’s possible, come with a full tank of fresh water! The sites are water/electric only too so plan accordingly.

Good for families

This review starts with the wonky reservation system. If you look at several campsites, it thinks you want to reserve all of them. Even if you de-select campsites, it still thinks you want to reserve all of them! And then, it didn’t like the apostrophe in our last name. I took that out but then it made me wait for two minutes before I could continue with the reservation. Ugh. We were also not happy that there was a two-night minimum on the weekends.

Now for the campground. This is a fairly small campground with only 40 sites. It was full on the first Friday in November but there was no host (and we did not see a Ranger throughout our stay). There would be free firewood (donations encouraged) if a host or ranger were present, so no firewood for us.

Many of the sites are NOT level but the website does indicate this during the reservation process. Fifteen have tent pads, but others do not and would be more suitable for RVs. The driveways are paved but some are crumbling, and pieces of pavement are tripping hazards. All the sites have electric and water. There are two comfort stations that were very clean and the showers (no additional cost) looked reasonable. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy and therefore there is only one dumpster across from the park office, which is quite a distance from the campground, and you are asked to bring your trash there nightly (the distance from the campground makes this challenging if you do not have another vehicle).

There are some nice hiking trails, but they are not on the map that you are given upon check-in. There is a map posted by the camp office, again quite a distance from the campground. This park is also good for mountain bikers, although they are not allowed to use the trails on Saturdays. Dogs are allowed if kept on a leash. Alcohol can only be consumed if out of public sight.

You will hear trains. Many trains. Loud trains. All throughout the night😊

There is a beach and boat rental in season, which looks very nice, but we stayed there out of season, so this was not available.

Nice large sites close to the beach

Don’t confuse this campground with Hunting Island (many people do). Although expensive, the sites here are very generous in size. Sites on the outside of the loop have more privacy (sites 1-33 have trees behind them for even more privacy).

The restrooms and showers are clean.

There are multiple access points to a very walkable or runnable beach. No bike rentals on-site but there is a local bike shop that will deliver to your site. Tours of Atalaya available plus other programs (although we didn’t take advantage of these). There is a large store with many souvenirs along with general necessities. If you order three or more bundles of firewood, they will deliver to your site.

It would have been nice to have a utility sink to wash dishes in as there are in other state parks. Also, like all other South Carolina state parks, alcohol is prohibited.

Although I usually take many photos at our campgrounds, for some reason, I didn't here!

Beautiful campground right on the Atlantic!

Hunting Island is a gorgeous campground and state park right on the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, this means they are constantly rebuilding after hurricanes so consequently, it is expensive to camp here! The upside is brand spanking new bathrooms with hot water. The only thing missing (in the bathroom) was a trash can so unfortunately, trash was on the floor.

Sites are generous in size and some have trees separating them from ones on the other side of the loop. Note alcohol is prohibited.

The beach, which is directly accessible from the campground,  has a long stretch of hard-packed sand and is very walkable. The lighthouse is within easy walking distance from the campground and the beach takes you through upended trees from hurricanes dating back to Hugo in 1989. The sunrises are incredibly gorgeous and well worth getting up when it is still dark out to take photos. There is a well-stocked camp store with friendly personnel.

10/10 Must Visit

BEST CAMPGROUND EVER. This campground has everything, most campgrounds claim they are a resort when really there a dump. This place is a true resort, it is very clean and modern. The campground has so much to offer… pools, activities, game rooms left and right, it’s just stunning. There’s places to walk everywhere, cabins are like 5 star hotels, they have a huge water park, mini golf, bowling ally and so much more. Would highly recommend. I’ve never had a campground have me speechless. I really enjoyed my time here. This place is new and I hope it continues to thrive and stay in good shape. My new favorite place 👍🏻

We will be back!

Even though we had a few rainy days we could see the beauty of this park. Clean heated restrooms in Winter is a bonus. Lots of things to do for all ages. Helpful and friendly staff.

Campsite #10

Stayed at campsite #10. It sits about 50 yards up the hill from the main river running through the valley. It is of note that the trail is right by the river, so you will see people walk by and there isn’t any real greenery to block that, even in summer. It is however far enough from the nearest sites that you won’t hear or see anyone else after sundown unless they are hiking at night. The river is a great soundtrack for a nights sleep.

The pad that has been cleared isn’t perfectly level, but it’s fine. There are however a few large buried rocks that keep it from being as smooth as you might expect.

Amazing camping experience

My daughter and I stayed in the glamping tent at Stonewood Farm just before Thanksgiving.

What a great place to unwind before the craziness of the holidays. Stonewood Farm is tucked away and offers the perfect blend of nature and farm life.

All the animals on this off-the-grid Hobby Farm are rescues and really friendly.  My 12 year old daughter was in Heaven! She had fun with the horses, goats, dogs and especially the one cat who visited our tent and crashed our Monopoly game.

The tent itself is spacious and has a tv/dvd, a heater and the most comfy bed ever.  We happened to be there during a new moon and could see a million stars and the Milky Way right over our tent. We could hear owls in the distance calling to each other.

Kimberly and Ed were amazing hosts. The campsite is away form their cabin allowing for privacy, but if we ever needed anything, they were right there to help.

My only concern is this was my daughter’s first time camping in a tent and the bar is now raised high. Haha. This is such a unique experience, we will definitely be back!

Book Elsewhere in Advance

I agree with the other reviewer. My opinion is very strong about this place but will try to stick with facts. If you have to stay overnight due to traveling through, this would be adequate. A lot of the campers are there for work and are more permanent. Not super family friendly of a campground. Even though we visited at the beginning of December, it appeared unkept. Unsure what it would be like in the spring/summer. Dirty is how my husband and I described it. Most of the “roads” are paved which works out nice for a stroller. The dog park is a fenced in area only with swing, trash can and picnic table. They do not allow dogs to be tied up. In their words “must have an owner attached”. We have a 90lb Lab and 4 lb Yorkie. During the day, if the weather is nice, the dogs prefer outside on most occasions, as are we. The lab is not aggressive in the slightest bit and doesn’t bark without reason or at all. We received a warning from the campground via a note on the door for him being outside on a short lead to be within their rules. Never mind the yappy other dogs in the park where owners stroll through multiple times a day and allow their dog to poop on your campsite without cleaning it up and other better hidden sites with dogs tied up. The biggest part of the warning that frustrated me was that I wasn’t told directly. Instead I saw the lady comping through the site and asked could I help her (she stuck the warning on the door) even though I was clearly there and she saw me multiple times going to the laundry, strolling around with the dogs, etc. Approaching me directly about a rule violation or a complaint from a fellow camper (as I assume is what sparked the warning), etc would have been much more preferred. The playground is small but in good working condition and has an infant swing which is nice. Laundry area is sufficient and easily accessible. Some camp sites have old picnic tables and look run down but you can tel they are slowly switching them out. We stayed at a deluxe site (C15) with a fire pit, swing, outdoor seating, etc right on the end of a row. This appeared ideal until we saw all the foot traffic that came by with their multiple dogs (sometimes as many as 2/3 per person). If there has to be a next time, we would select the deluxe spot a little further up from C15, towards the middle of that row. We also believe some the the foot traffic came from the neighboring trailer park. The general area of the camp ground is very accessible to grocery stores, restaurants and convenience stores. There is a lot of noise from the highway, airplanes (which my son and husband love) and workers getting up early (5:30am) to go to job sites. During high traffic times, it can take 30-45 min to get to downtown Charleston so be aware. For our next trip to Charleston we will plan more in advance and book early at a different place.

Great experience!

I have loved staying at swamp fox camp ground. We stayed for a few months and have adored all the people here. Especially the ones who work here. Always kept clean and friendly.

Needs improvements

Not a big rig friendly area. Our site was 30 amp, no sewer. I backed in the way I was told to and realized our water and electric were on the curb side. Had I known this ahead of time, I could have maybe pulled in another way. The service from another site was less than 3 feet from my power inlet to the camper. I called to make sure it would be ok to plug in there and they said no, even though no one used that site. The bathhouse was well below standards and really just unusable. I’ll pick another place if I’m ever in the area again.

Awesome

Great campground plenty of big spots but very busy in the heat of the summer

Great primitive camp

Great hunting fishing and camping. Outhouse is the only thing that is there for use. Anything else you must supply yourself. I go every year for bear season and will continue to do so.

Surrounded by trees, water and nature.

My husband found Dreher Island on The Dyrt and said this is where he wanted to go for our November vacation. We looked at site photos online and found site 83. The drive in is a great way to see the whole park and campground. There were lots of picnic shelters, restrooms and trails.

Our site was great - we had an awesome view of the lake and our neighbors weren't too close. Our pad was level and we noticed that others were not or very bumpy as tree roots were growing underneath which would have made getting level a little tricky. We were surrounded by trees which brought in a lot of birds and squirrels, even a deer on our first morning. The fire ring is right off the pad, so don't back in to the very end of the pad which was fine because the pad was long for us.

The shower house was just a little walk past a few campsites. There were flush toilets, sinks and two showers. The showers did not have anywhere inside to leave your items, but there was a bench directly outside of your curtain. The camp host kept it nice and clean.

We stayed from Sunday-Saturday - some days we just sat around the fire and others we hiked around the island. There are a couple of designated areas for hiking and doable for any age. Every morning and evening we walked the campground which helped us check out some other sites. I'll acknowledge the good sites in our photos. The tent sites on the outside/shore side had tent pads then there were a few tent sites on the inside, but no tentpads - they all had electric.

We visited the marina store to pick up ice and wood and found that they also had some food items, condiments, fishing items, souvenirs and ice cream. We found that the Dollar General store in Chapin had cheaper wood, ice and anything else you may need…go there first.

We left Veterans weekend and it was just about full on Friday night. This might be our go to vacation spot - we lucked out with weather and one of the nicest stays at a state park.

Solitude in SC

First beach camp. First South Carolina camp. Site 13 was literally 24 steps from tent to the breaking waves of the Atlantic which are a great soundtrack along with the gusting breezes for reading and cooking s’mores. Thursday night the park was very quiet with Friday and Saturday filling up with friendly families with kids, a surfer, and RVers..a great mix.

Staff was helpful, efficient, and accommodating.

Simple, relaxing, memorably situated park.

Just A Good Campground

This campground won’t blow you away or anything but it’s a good campground that you’ll enjoy. Nice wooded coverage, walking and hiking trails, plus a few lakes to fish. Bath houses are probably the cleanest I’ve seen in all the campgrounds I’ve been too. The only reason I wouldn’t give it 5 stars is because the sites are pretty close to each other and you can hear aircraft traffic from the airport close by. I recommend sites 22,23,25 if you are tent camping.

Serene setting but close sites

We stayed at the Oaks at Point South for 2 weeks.  The sites were a bit close, also, when it rained the byproduct was mud.  However, the sites all had live oaks with spanish moss, there was a large pond(s) with great walking trails and lots of beautiful birds.

The staff was very accomodating.  They accepted packages shipped to you.  Most of the sites were pull thru.  Propane (at a really good price) was available at the KOA just 1 mile away.  T-Mobile cell coverage was great.

Nothing (groceries, etc.) was nearby.  The closest non-convenience store grocery was 12 miles away and the nearest Walmart was 23 miles away.

When running out slides you may need to juggle your rig a bit to clear the trees, as I said earlier, sites are close with big trees.

We would stay here again.

Popular But Fun

I've been camping at Burrells Ford since I was a small child. During peak season (summer, Spring Break) it will be slightly crowded, but there's usually still room to camp and it doesn't normally get rowdy or loud. Fishing will of course be inhibited when it's crowded, but otherwise its a good spot to fish.

Pit toilets are fairly well maintained and the sites are almost always clean and free of debris. Camp sites are a short walk down a clear road from the main parking area for those who prefer to carry things in or those who have visitors to their campsite.

If there has been a lot of camper traffic, it will be difficult to find firewood. Firewood is available to purchase all along the road on the way to Burrells Ford from individuals and stores.

The other side of the river is a much rougher trail, not an official campsite at all. However, there are some areas that other campers have cleared out for camping if you don't mind a more strenuous and brushy hike in to your camping area and you prefer a little more privacy and seclusion. Just be sure to follow local regulations for camping in these areas as far as cleanliness, fire safety, and distance from the water.

Woodall, wildlife, and whitewater

Primitive camping. One portapotty at the parking lot. Numerous paths to hike down to the wild and scenic Chattooga River. No RV sites or dump sites. Multiple campsites surrounding the parking lot, and no camping/fires within 10[?] feet of the river itself. It is regularly checked by forest service, they'll give you a friendly reminder, usually. Lots of rafting/kayaking, fishing, hiking, swimming. Check local laws for fishing and boating permits. Beautiful, wooded camping; easy gravel road in. No trash bins, take it in, take it out.

Family Friendly

Been to this Campground as a child and now visiting as an adult with my child. Family friendly and very helpful staff. Plenty to do for all ages. Only downfall is so many golf carts and the amount of young teens riding around in the evening 9-10 pm or later with music loud. Will definitely be going back for future beach visits

Nice sized campground on the ocean

We went off season - October 2019 - and while the park still had a lot of people there were plenty of sites empty. Since it was off season the camp store and shuttle service was not open. Sites are tight by the beach and because of the dunes you don't get a view. But you were within a very short walk to the beautiful big clean beach and could hear the waves crashing. We only have a 24 foot motor home - so we felt a bit claustrophobic between the huge RVs on all sides of us. We decided to move to a different site that gave is some more room and not sandwiched in between other campers. it wasn't at the beach area - but we did not mind the walk - and we also had bikes to get around. The staff and maintenance did a great job. The grounds are clean and the staff very friendly when we arrived early and let us check in early and the a day later to let us move to another site.

Awesome time

Had a awesome time. Great view of the lake and nice big campsite. Cant wait to go back.

Peaceful

Close to Caesars Head and Table Rock. Full hookups, and the staff helps you back in and level up. Great service. Short drive to grocery and fresh produce stands.

History Abounds

Tons to do, including hikes and history. Make sure to go across the street to the Kings Mountain Military site. Better yet, plan your stay when they are doing an event.

Peaceful

About 31 RV sites. Onboard Ft. Jackson. Lake views. Boat rental available. Summer time swim beach. Spacious sites. No laundry at campground. Closest is about 3 miles away. Entrance road is really rough.