Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests, SOUTH CAROLINA

Camping South Carolina Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests

Most Recent Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests Camping Reviews
Clean, easy to access, restaurant is nice.

Easy to camp. I’ve stayed here in summer and winter months. Site 18 had great water access. Beach is made of clay so be sure to wear shoes unless you don’t mind red feet. Spacious pad for gear.

Great Spot!

We tent camped here and were definitely the minority. Lots of RVs and pull behinds. Sites were well spaced. We had 15 and it was great, I would stay at the same site again. Water and electric at all sites. Access to water from majority of sites. Bath house was clean enough. Front desk attendants were wonderful. We loved this place and plan to return!

Not my favorite.

The roads going into the state park and the roads in the campgrounds themselves are very rough.

Beautiful park

I camped here at the end of February and did some canoeing on the lake. The lake was beautiful and the park is full of nice trails, including a lot of mountain bike trails. I was not very impressed with the camping location. It was geared more toward RV's rather than tents. They offer hike-in camping as well.

Nice clean park with great staff

Great campground with excellent staff. Laundry is clean. Small pond. Level lots and close to shopping and highways.

Good Campground

Good location off I-26 and shopping nearby. Friendly staff. Call for reservations. They keep only 5 sites open for one to two openings. They have a lot of full time people. We stayed in Lot 24 and it was the best spot for us.

Very peaceful and quiet

Baker Creek State Park is situated in an area along the Savannah River with a lot of other S.C. and GA parks. It may be the smallest of all the surrounding parks which also means it is probably the quietest. There are no swimming pools, golf courses, or tennis courts which is perfect for me. I am looking for relaxation, not a bit of noise, people, and canned activity.

Water access is very easy if you want to boat or kayak. There are are also nearby trails to go hiking. The main hiking trail onsite has not been kept up at all - so it is basically impassable.

That is why the one star deduction from this camp. The rangers and the state just don’t keep it maintained like they should. The camp hosts are great and so their jobs well, but seems the full time rangers want to do as little as they can get away with. And lack of funding from the state doesn’t help that - and that is a problem with all the S.C. state parks, not just this one.

But l, regardless of this, the campground is peaceful and functional, the views are wonderful, and the nature plentiful. Enjoy!

Cute park hidden away

Croft State Park was right on our route so it was a convenient spot. However, it turned out to be really nice too!! It is on a lake and there are trails in the campground for exploring. There are plenty of sites with a great view of the lake. Also, they supposedly have a big event every year for Halloween. We weren’t there for that, but it seems fun! The staff was super nice as well. This was a great way to spend a few days enjoying the lake view and getting caught up on work!

It depends

It depends on what you want. Nobody else was there when I was there this past summer and so I was able to let my dogs roam freely. If that's what you want, there is plenty of space and since nobody else is there, there is privacy. However, the shower/bath houses that belonged to the camping area have been decommissioned and the only bathrooms, which are new, are therefore quite a distance because they're now in the day-use only area. I have pictures of the campsite somewhere I think. I did get chiggers from the whole experience.

Very nice and clean

Paved campsites. Clean bath houses. Nice shores, not too rocky. No red clay.