About Poinsett State Park
No WiFi
Poinsett State Park is located in South Carolina
17 Reviews of Poinsett State Park
Trails abound! Drive carefully.

The pros: Poinsett State Park has some of the best hiking and biking trails in the Palmetto State. You could spend multiple days camping here and have a chance to hike different trails every day.

The cons: It's not easy to get in here with anything bigger than a full size pickup. The park road is very narrow and uneven with lots of large pot holes. The road to the campground is a little better, but also very narrow. It would be difficult to pull off to let another vehicle pass without fear of ending up off the road or hitting a tree.

We enjoyed the variety of hiking options here. It would be great if the state parks service could direct some funding to repairing and widening the roads and repairing some of the trails that were damaged in the 2015 flood that are now impassible.

Secluded.

Entry road very rough. This is an older campground that needs work. Shower house very clean. Campground host nice. Not many campers because of a cold weather which is why we did not check out the park.

South Carolina fun.

Lots of nice, well marked trails. Be careful; there are also unmarked trails. Great showers.

Timely Escape!

This was a timely escape for us just as COVID was spreading in the states. Unfortunately this prevented us from being able to rent kayaks. But the hiking was great! The camp sites were on the smaller side but opened up to a large field area where the kids and dog could run around and play. Shower and bathrooms were tidy and spacious too.

Great Park

I stayed at this park because the one in Congaree was full and I’m very glad I did! It took a good 45 minutes to get to Congaree but it was a pleasant drive. I walked on some of the trails in the campground but didn’t touch most of them. I definitely need to come back with a bike! I stayed at tent site 36 and felt like I still had enough privacy from the sites beside me. The bathrooms were well taken care of.

Great camping in Sumter

Stayed at site # 36, this is the best one. There are 2 loops, first loop for the RVs and the second loop for tent and small pop ups. Tables, fire ring, water at each site. There is a bath house, very clean.

The hiking trails are very well marked, get map at ranger station.

Gorgeous

This park is stunning and perfect for pups to come along!

great hiking

nice trails, our site was really tight but was reserved sight unseen. enjoyed the paddle boats.

Not too crowded

Nice quiet spot not far from Columbia. Love the elevation change which is rare in Midlands of SC.

Great mountain biking

The biking is awesome, however I was not a giant fan of the campsite itself.