the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
Devils Fork State Park is located in South Carolina
8 Reviews of Devils Fork State Park
Nice and shady sites

On beautiful Lake Jocassee the campgrounds is close by. Very nice size and very shaded.

Great place for swimming and kayaking

This is a wonderful spot to access the absolutely gorgeous Lake Jocassee. There are some fantastic places to swim connected to the campground. The tent spots are by far the best and just a short walk in from the parking area. There is a place to rent kayaks and canoes within the campground.

Lovely lakeside camping

This is one of my favorite campgrounds so far. Plenty of trees help shade the sites and give more of a feeling of privacy. Our site (34) and the adjacent sItes were a short walk to a nice sandy alcove on the lake, perfect for a dip or float. We rented kayaks for the day to explore some small waterfalls and shallow caves. The facilities were clean for a public park.

Why go to the coast for beach when you have real views here?

A favorite RV style camping spot, where we bring out all the toys: Hobie sailing/paddlig/peddling… to a cove for mighty fine swimming. This year we will add a couple inflatable kayaks to the mix for friends. We love the views whether in tents or glamping. Don't miss the rare Oconee Bells wildflowers in March! Nearby dayhiking or backpacking the Foothills, take a boat rental across the lake, fish, or visit nearby Dupont State Forest. It's all here!

Lake Jocasse is one of the most beautiful spots in the Southeast

I've camped/visited Devil's Fork State Park numerous times, and each time has been amazing. There are few places in the southeast that are as beautiful as the crystal-clear waters of Lake Jocassee!

The first time I visited, we reserved a drive-up campsite, which had an on-site fresh water pump and electricity hookup (although we didn't use it). The second time, we went with one of the hike-in campsites, which are a little closer to the water. The hike-in sites are still very close to the parking lot, so they aren't too "rustic" compared to other campgrounds I've been to. The hike-in sites have access to a community fresh water pump. The drive-up sites are arranged in a loop, with a central bathroom/shower/laundry facility available 24/7. I believe there are about 4 toilet stalls, 2 sinks, and 2-3 showers. It's also nice that it is heated in winter! The laundry facility has washer and dryers which you can pay for with quarters. I don't remember there being any detergent, etc., available for use, so if you plan on using these, be sure to bring your own. We had no intention of doing laundry during our stay, but we were immensely grateful for the dryers after all of our clothing and sleeping bags were soaked in an overnight rainstorm!

The people who work at the Devil's Fork ranger station are so friendly and accommodating. We were running late on one trip, but called ahead, and they had no problem leaving the gate open for us and allowing up to check in early the next morning. Plus, they had great recommendations on what to do and see during our stay, and their gift shop sold several things (such as firewood) that could come in handy if you forget to bring your own!

We rented our kayaks from the Jocassee Outdoor Center (http://www.jocasseeoutdoorcenter.com/), which we've had terrific experiences with. Their prices were affordable, they are very friendly and knowledgable, and they delivered our kayaks to the Devil's Fork docks in advance. Be sure to ask for their map of waterfalls in the area! They are really beautiful, although I'd recommend checking the water levels first, if possible. :)

Jocassee itself is absolutely beautiful. The clear waters contrasting with the rocky and red clay shores looks like a natural wonder from another planet…not like something you'd find in South Carolina! Water sports are great here, as is fishing and swimming. Even just walking along the shores offers beautiful views and is somewhat challenging at the rockier parts. Because it is a smaller campground, the large lake never feels too crowded. Jocassee is a man-made lake, and there is actually a small town at the bottom of it. Those who are scuba-certified can scuba dive down to the town and explore old churches, school houses, and even cemeteries, which I'm sure is a unique experience (although I've never done it myself).

All in all, Lake Jocassee and Devil's Fork State Park are truly jewels of the southeast and should not be missed!

Lake Jocassee

Great camping and beautiful water. This open mountain lake is full of hidden coves with white sand beaches, there's also cliff jumping and great fishing. Our four legged children agree that its the best lake in the south east!

Off the Beaten Path but Well Worth It!

This hidden gem is a few miles off a major highway but well worth the journey. I would consider it among my top ten 'near a lake' spots in the entire US. It's right beside Lake Jocassee, which is a marvelous location for any type of watersports. If you're a scuba diver, it gets even better. This area has an active dive community and there are quite a few great dive sites in the lake, including the remains of structures that were submerged when the dam was built. If you do come here, there aren't many stores really close by, so outfit and buy groceries before driving on it. That way, all you have to worry about is all the water-driven fun you'll be having.