Port Royal , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Port Royal Camping Reviews
Great Service

Great staff with friendly service where they try to help you in anyway possible. Family enjoyed putt putt, but the pool wasn’t opened when we were there. Lots were mostly level with full services, but backed up to RV storage field. Would return again and try a different lot.

Nice Campground Right between Lexington and Georgetown

I'll preface this with the fact that I am a Lexington, KY Native and have always lived close to the Kentucky Horse Park and Kentucky Horse Park Campground, but have never stayed there until this weekend.

We stayed on Loop A in site #38.

First, site #38 was a great large and fairly level site with 50AMP hookups and Water. There were no sewer hook ups, but the park has 2 dump stations that accommodate 2 RV/Trailers being dumped at one time. The site had a large amount of space between ourselves and our neighbors and we had a lot of extra space behind out paved site that was grassy. A great area for the kids/pets to run around.

The park has 2 playgrounds (one was closed due to COVID and the sanitizing that would have to be done. The park said they didn't have the staff to sanitize the playground further from the office/store). There is a community pool (it was closed because it isn't memorial day yet and the staff is still trying to determine if it will open this season after being closed all of 2020 due to COVID).

You're able to bring your Golf Cart if you would like but you must get a permit from the campground office/store. They say there is a rule that no one under the age of 16 or anyone without a valid drivers license is allowed to drive the golf carts, but this is clearly not enforced, as my kids were nearly run over (more than once) by young kids speeding around on the gold carts.

The park is great for bike riding and you can travel just a short distance to get to the Legacy Trail (a 12 mile paved trail great from biking/running that runs from the horse park into downtown Lexington). It rained most of the day on Saturday while we were there but in the evening, we got to get the bikes out and go see the horses as they were grazing in the fields.

Right next door, you have the World Famous Kentucky Horse Park. Their trail rides are back open (Ages 7 an older $25.00 per person) and they also have their Pony ride for kids 12 and under ($5 a person) opened back up. You can go visit the different barns, go to the museums, etc.

Just 1 exit north on I75 you have  a Camping World, for all of your camping needs and then 1 exit after that you have a Walmart and Lowes for other things. Many food options as well.

There is a gas station just down Iron Works pike for all of your fuel and and snack needs. Attached to the gas station is also a liquor store.

Your smack in the middle of Georgetown and Lexington which both offer several family friendly Craft Beer Breweries/Taprooms, a lot of great local eating options and bars/nightlife options.

On Holidays now, at the Horse Park Campground, you have to have 5 day minimum stay, which can get a bit pricey.

All around though, great little campsite with easy access to I65/I64.

Nice and Relaxing

Was nice and relaxing. We will be back for a weekend stay. Reasonable nightly rates.

A nice FOB

I used this location as my FOB for a weekend of hiking in southern Indiana. The campground was nice. Being the first weekend in April, the water wasn’t turned on so there were no modern restrooms/shower houses available. I’d say the camp was 30% capacity over the weekend, relatively quiet in the evenings with light road traffic. The gate staff were exceptional, suggesting a much better sight than I had registered for online.

Great campground !

Beautiful campsite!

Nice quiet lake

Nice lake with outboard motors allowed. We enjoyed the water with out listening to the motors. They are not turning on water until April 15. The campground has some nice spots with cabins and areas for people with horses. Not to big but not to small.

Kentucky Horse Park Campground, KY

Kentucky Horse Park is a working horse farm and educational center. Unfortunately due to COVID-19 the tours were unavailable when we visited. Regardless, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The sites were spacious and well maintained. They all come with a picnic table, fire pit and full hook-ups. The bathrooms, showers and laundry room were clean and also well maintained. The staff was friendly and accommodating. A great location, especially if planning to visit Lexington during your stay.

breathtaking view

I've grown up with this state park and it seems to get more beautiful throughout the years. The observation tower is my absolute favorite spot in this park. It has a breathtaking view of the Historic Downtown Madison

Very Nice Campsite

We only stayed one night but would definitely return. We got a pretty leveled site right on the river. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Lots of trees and water, very calming

Park is nice with lots of trees and water. Small rental cabins surround the park. Owners are very nice and very helpful with tips and suggestions for the RV, and local eateries. We stayed one night on our way south from Indy. We wanted to visit The Ark and The Creation Museum, but cannot do both in one day. I deducted a star from overall and value rating only due to no direct sewer connection. Although they do have a dump station, I prefer to have a direct hook-up. Sites are pretty level, although we did have to unhook to keep truck from sticking out into road. SInce the park wasn't full, the owners let us park our truck in site next to us. We stayed in our 38' travel trailer with our Ford F250 truck.