The best EQUESTRIAN camping near

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Fort Kissimmee Camping Reviews
Love this park. Big Surprise.

Lake Kissimmee State Park Review This was our first visit to Lake Kissimmee State Park and it was a big surprise. Like all Florida State Parks, they are all a little different and have one attribute in particular that makes them special. For me this was the camp sites that were both spacious and private.

We were on the inside of the loop on #4. Since the pandemic spots at most state park have been few and far between so we have become way less particular and simply take what we can get at most parks.

Like all state parks the bathrooms were spotless and rivaled those of a Marriott. We enjoyed the common areas, the observation deck and the hiking. Staff and hosts were wonderful. Thanks again Florida State Parks for a great weekend! We will for sure return to Lake Kissimmee for sure.

Incredible for FL Camping

All around a great location to get away and explore. This is one of the most comfortable and well-kept campgrounds I've found in FL. The staff and volunteers were very attentive and accommodating. The other campers were friendly and enthusiastic. We tent camped in the Equestrian loop, and the sites were decently spaced with plenty of room for our two tents, two cars, and 8 campers to spread out without bothering the neighbors. There are no stores or restaurants nearby, so pack well. These sites have water, electric, grill, and a table. Firewood is available for $7 cash per bundle (honor system). The dumpster is by the firewood. You can buy ice from the rangers for $2.50 during business hours. Showers are hot. Bathrooms are spacious.

I should probably mention that I'm camping spoiled. I traveled for a year or so around the country tent camping, and lived in Colorado for 10 years camping at least once a month out west. I'm from Florida, and I really didn't think there was much worth seeing here, so I stopped looking. It turns out I was wrong.

The air was so clean that we felt like we were on oxygen! The night sky was absolutely breathtaking, but catching dawn and dusk over the landscape is really nice too. The trails were well maintained and clearly planned to create a unique experience, while being just challenging enough to feel like a real adventure.

The animals just weren't afraid of humans. Our 6 teenagers were so excited to stand face-to-face, only a few feet from gentle deer, bunnies, and turkeys. We even saw some lazy baby alligators sunning on the Military Trail.

The Prairie Loop Trail took much longer than we anticipated, and the wind pushing us back was insane, but it was gorgeous and we had a lot of fun. I'll just plan better for that next time. And, the whole family agrees there will be a next time, soon!

If you are looking for a place in FL where you really feel "out in it", away from absolutely everything, while still having what you need to be comfortable, this is it.

Family fun

Group of friends and family decided to stay on this gem, I was pleasantly surprised! Clean bathrooms and showers. Lots of amenities for kids like mini golf, zip lining and mechanical bull riding.

We rate Highlands Hammock 4 starts because of the park not the campgrounds

Located nearly dead center in the middle of Florida, and equidistant between Fort Pierce and Bradenton is Highlands Hammock State Park. This lush& alluring park has a lot to offer the hiker, the biker, the kayaker,& the boater. However, there’s no better way to describe the campground inside the park but old and worn. Nonetheless, Highlands Hammock is a very popular campground for tent campers, RVers,& everything in between.

Google Maps and perhaps other direction apps want to bring you in from the west on County Road 634. If you go this way the road becomes a very bumpy dirt road once you enter the state park. It’s Ok for a car but perhaps not for a trailer or RV and everything you have inside it. Instead, come in from the west on route 66 and then go north on County Road 635 that will lead you into the front entrance of the park and the Ranger Station.

One of the oldest state park campgrounds in the Florida State Park system, these sites were designed for a time void of 30-foot RV’s. Most of these sites are either narrow, short, or both. And, with few exceptions, there is no vegetation or other type of barrier between them. You better hope for nice and respectful neighbors, which we had.

Most of the campsites have slopes and stumps. Many campers had to get creative in how they angled their trailer or RV into their site to get a level spot. The hookups are shared between sites which means you may have to run your water hose and electrical line a long way in 50% of the sites. And very strangely the fire rings are placed in the middle of a lot of the sites. That’s fine for tent camping but not necessary for a larger trailer or RV.

All the bathroom and shower facilities are in need of modernization with the exception of one that we saw. Faucets dripped and didn’t completely shut off. While using the men’s room the toilet paper dispenser fell off the wall into my lap.

The campground consists of 138 sites that are accessed from 8 different roads once inside the campground. There are ample bathrooms, dumpsters, and the dumping station is conveniently located on the way out of the campground.

We had site#71 which was next to the very nice campground host. We did have ample room for our pop up camper and awning, our privacy tent, and a screen tent because the site was long. But it definitely was narrow. Our neighbor’s trailer was not more than 25 feet from us.

To see our entire review of Highlands Hammock State Park visit https://lifestyleover50.com/highlands-hammock-state-park-campground-review/

LOVE this place!

First time at Lake Kissimmee State Park! We loved it. We arrived just before sun down. First of all the drive into the park is beautiful. Classic Florida landscape and made us so excited to start camping. We were in loop 1 site 13. The sites are pretty private we couldn’t see the campers to the sides of us and they are very large. Bathrooms were very clean. Best part was all the wildlife we encountered. In the morning a family of deer walked right by our tent! There are three main hiking trails up to 6.7 miles. We did the 6 mile loop and it was beautiful and peaceful. Primitive hike in campsites available along the trails which we will be checking out for next time. Reservation was easily made through reservation America.

My favorite campground

Kissimmee prairie preserve is my favorite campground. It is a dark sky area, so the night sky is beautiful. Upon getting into the park, there was wildlife everywhere (turkey, deer, alligator, birds). The prairie is so open that you can see forever.

We had campsite 15 which had a great view of the prairie and backed up to the woods. The bathrooms were very clean with large shower areas and continuous hot water. Definitely go when there's no moon, as this is a dark sky area so you can see the milky way during the right time of year. We were there in mid October, so just right at the end of the milky way season.

I've already booked a return trip.

Nice park

Beautiful Park. Campground is not spread out much. You'll have neighbors. We were there Christmas of 2020. Fantastic hiking trails. We would stay there again. It's close to home.

Beautiful Campground, Tight Turns!

We had a great time staying at Lake Kissimmee SP campground. We were in Loop LK1 spot 11. The loops are TIGHT for a large travel trailer such as ours. The turn in was tight and I smashed my mirror. Argh. However, the spot itself was gorgeous, plenty of space to spread out, not close to neighbors and a great spot to hang my hammock. No bugs in November was a plus!

Tent Camping

Campsites are far enough apart for privacy with lots of shades trees. Each site has a firepit. Bathrooms were clean. Lots of small trails to explore and tall watch tower climb for observation.

Primitive Camping

The campground is well kept and clean. The staff is friendly. Great camp store which is not overpriced. Nature trails have plaques with historical info throughout. Lots of wildlife to enjoy. Primitive campsites do not have many trees and are close together (no privacy). Each campsite has a picnic table and firepit.