Ocala National Forest, FLORIDA

Camping Florida Ocala National Forest

Most Recent Ocala National Forest Camping Reviews
Nice Thousand Trails Campground - lots of space!

Beautiful location off of a major highway but due to lots of trees - very little road noise.  Sites were huge!! Semi shaded with picnic tables and great full hookups.  Nice roads to walk your dog.  We stayed a week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.  Close to the Villages with lots to do.  Easy drive to Disney but we never did go.  We did drive over to the gulf coast and it was a fairly easy trip.  Local staff was very nice and helpful.  They do receive mail for you as well.  We were a little disappointed that the pool was closed  while we were there.

Nice Campground

Very nice campground with several amenities including a very nice pool.There is a laundry room with clean washers and dryers.The Park is laid out nice with open campsites and campsites in the trees.

Enjoyable

I have stayed here a few times. Very enjoyable and I always look forward to coming back. It's going through some renovations. New owners have paved all the spaces, the shower house has been redone, they are digging a beautiful pond in front. They have a little dog park, walking trails, off property is a nice bike ride, huge swimming pool, activities, laundry room and friendly people. At night the stars are amazing. Close to 1-75 and reasonable rates. This is a good place to stay.

Amazing beachfront location!

If you are looking to stay at a beachside RV resort with a large pool look no further! There are two pools: a large pool for everyone and a smaller adult only pool with hot tub. The location is perfect with several restaurants and a grocery store close by. Review the map before selecting your site as some are tight but many are pull thru making it easier. The roads are dirt and hold water after a rain but nothing major. Site #81 is a pull-thru/back-out site that is close to the beach walkway. This site has a covered patio with a picnic table. Our 26' travel trailer fit plus a vehicle with no problem. We will definitely be back!

An Oasis

We made a quick trip up to this park during the lockdown. Let me say first that this is not a camp ground by my definition, rather an RV Park. At the time of our visit all National, State and County campgrounds were closed.

That said, we had an excellent time. The residents including the staff were really nice and welcoming. This park is well run. After check in somebody accompanies you to your site and does not leave until you are all hooked up.

We were a little out of place in our small camper (Airstream Basecamp) among the seasonal and permanent residents in large rigs and permanent modular homes sites, but that added to the fun. The park has a small store and is convenient to many local activities.

Our original goal was to cycle on the Withlacoochee Trail, an area favorite of ours. We discovered that it had been closed due to the pandemic like many other parks. Why this trail was closed is beyond me but there you go. We explored the local area on bikes and discovered Lake Panasoffkee and the Lake Pano Lodge (pics attached).

As an added bonus, they put is right next to the pool which was open. It was like an Oasis because most public pools had been closed and remain so. Everybody was so "normal" at this park going about their lives without drama is was really great.

This park also has river access, boat ramp and launch so we had a great paddle on the Withlacoochee. Oh, forgot to mention that Thousand Palms has by far THE NICEST BATHROOM we have ever found on our travels adjacent to the community pool.

We will return when we want to play in this area even if we can find state or federal camping because it's such a unique experience for us to stay in an RV park and be welcomed like family.

Love this place.

Nice

Nice park and you can get your propane refilled there.

Sketchy

Sketchy looking place.

Nice

Lots of hiking, biking and riding trails.

CLASSIC FLORIDA

I had relatively low expectations of Silver Springs mostly from childhood memories of hot, humid, crowded and touristy. Well, it was a real retro experience and I'm happy to say that not much has changed and that's a good thing!

The camp ground was exceptional with lots and lots of room. The river, as pristine as ever. The tour boats were the very same vessels of my childhood memories and provided a great backdrop to the overall setting.

I think we were in spot 51 which was a pull through and probably the very largest campsite we have ever had and it dwarfed our little travel trailer but we loved it.

It pretty much rained most of the weekend but we still enjoyed our long paddle with all kinds of wildlife INCLUDING THE MONKEYS!!!

The only reason I give this park a 4 and not a 5 star is you have to drive to the kayak launch which is in the same parking lot as the access for the day guests (and there are many).

I applaud Florida State Parks for managing such a great facility in spite of all the pressure over the years. WE WILL RETURN.

Good Things Come in Small Packages

Lake Griffin State Park is a classic case of under promising and over delivering. On the surface we didn't expect much of this park from size or the fact it was just off a major roadway but we were very pleasantly surprised.

We arrived the first day after camping resumed after the Covid-19 closure. Everything was very normal and the staff, while probably more separated than normal, very welcoming.

The campground is very compact and not too large, but the sites are mostly all very shaded and afford privacy. The real gem however is the adjacent park, boat/kayak launch and paddling run to Lake Griffin. Very beautiful. Amazing actually.

In addition, there is a beautiful trail loop that is approximately 1.5 miles out and back and several spurs throughout the park. I give the trails an A+ for beauty.

In addition, guidance suggested the bathrooms be cleaned regularly due to the pandemic and they were. I would have driven up to the park from our home in Sarasota, FL just for a shower in the bath house. We actually felt more welcomed, better service and cleaner accommodations in Lake Griffin State Park than we received at the Marriott on Hutchinson Island the week prior and that is not an exaggeration.

Thank you for a wonderful weekend. This park makes me proud to be a Floridian.