Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 40 ft.
Oscar Scherer is located in Florida
21 Reviews of Oscar Scherer
Unexpected beauty

This campground has more to offer then just a few sites. It has so many bikes trails and hikes that kept us occupied all day! Clean bathhouse and a community sink! We stayed at Site 20 which in my opinion was the best site out of all of them… secluded with lots of privacy and a view of the creek that runs through the campground!

Great park and campsite

The park has great trails for hiking and bike riding. The campsites are nice, decently spaced. Some pull through, some back in, water and electric vary by site. Bathhouses are clean, well ventilated.

Note, gate closed at dusk, call ahead to get the gate code or there is a mile plus hike to find some one with the code. Don’t ask me why I know that.

Plenty of activities

Great Florida State park. We stayed in site #22. Sites have water and electric and are dirt. Most sites are on the smaller side being shallow and narrow. Our site was great. Shaded most of day and wider. Site #21 looked good too. There are a few pull through sites and some non pet sites on the creek. Most sites are surrounded by greenery so you are buffered from your neighbor. Park has nice screened in area for wifi. There is a small beach/swimming area which was great cause it's hot!! Park has mostly paved roads, a nice picnic area, trails, and some fishing spots. Park is located about half way on 10 mile paved multi use trail-Legacy trail. This was a great trail for biking. Multiple stops along the way but mostly in full sun. You can launch kayaks from park and kayak south creek. There are several hiking trails but we did not use due to weather being too hot.

Great location

Place is very clean and organized. We were at lot#6 right in front of the bathroom. Overall we like the place. We did only stay one night , so we didn’t get to know much about it.

Quite, peaceful and lots of activities

I camp alot, all over Florida. I have been hesitant about heading to Oscar Sherer. I took a last minute spot in #17. Anyone who camps often in the winter of Florida months knows….spots are almost impossible to get at state parks. I have ended up in the least desirable locals to many times to count. Having said that, I would happily go back to this park again! There are tons of spaces, but lots of dense vegetation between them…so you don't get that "I am setting up in the middle of someone else's campfire" feeling.

My rig is fairly small, so space isn't an issue for me. I highly value privacy and enjoying my time outside. Lots of activities let you do that. Hiking, biking trails, canoeing, kayaking, swimming…all easily reachable. It is Florida, on the coast, so bring your mosquitoe nets and some spray, but it wasn't half as bad as other parks on the water I have been to.

Note, anything 17-20 is down a side path…and spot 20 is directly at the end (with a water view). Best of luck backing in to that one. Otherwise, my 10 ft would fit anywhere nicely.

Quiet and lush. But small sites and lots of bugs.

If you live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and don’t want to travel too far, or are just traveling through the area, this campground is a nice stopover. It’s quiet and offers some nice hiking and biking trails. But after spending 3 nights camping at Oscar Scherer State Park, we come away with a mixed opinion.

These campsites are small. In fact, they are the smallest we’ve encountered in a Florida state park so far. We had just enough room for our popup camper which is approximately 20 x 10 feet plus another 10 x 8 feet with the awning extended. Some are wider but the only sites that seem longer are the pull-in sites in Section 5 which is closed.

Keys to Choosing to your Campsite at Oscar Scherer

Given that only sections, 1 through 3 are available currently, you may see that the Reserve America reservations page will show a water icon on some campsites that appear to be along the creek. But you will not see the creek from your campsite. The vegetation in the park is quite dense and certainly so in the campsites in sections 1– 3. The shade is always important when camping in Florida, especially in the summer. The description on the Reserve America website regarding shade isn’t accurate. Our site,#2, was described as ‘full shade’. Not so, I’m afraid. From about 10 am to 4 pm we baked in the Florida sun. However, our friends had site#3 next door and had shade though out the day. Even though that site enters from the east, as do all sites along the creek, they had trees the canopied over the entrance and eastern side of the site. However, sites 22– 28 do have a lot of shade and are located on the opposite side of the campground from South Creek. If we were to go back, we would stay on that side of the Oscar Scherer Park.

Be Prepared for Bugs
Oscar Scherer State Park camping requires being prepared for bugs. Perhaps due to the amount of lush vegetation all over this park, and the proximity to the South Creek, there were more bugs than we experienced at other Florida state parks. Even though we take precautions including a very effective bug spray we came home with a lot of bug bites. So, bring your best bug spray and citronella candles. They are especially a problem in the morning until the sun comes up over the trees.

To read our full review visit https://lifestyleover50.com/oscar-scherer-state-park-camping-review/

Great recreation

Like all the Florida state parks, the campground is well-maintained and clean. Lots of trails to explore, easy to launch my kayak from near my campsite. I was at Site 17, which was a bit tricky to back my 15 foot camper into. It also wasn’t level and was next to the trail path, so there was a lot of foot and bike traffic. I would go for one on the main loop next to the river if possible. Beware that the line for The dump station will impede your attempt to leave the park close to check out time (1:00). Good cell service with Verizon.

Nice woodsy Campground

We stayed in site # 98 which was very private, we had water & electric, picnic table & fire pit. Clean restrooms, a nature center, kayak launch & kayak rentals, a small lake you can swim in and some hiking trails. There are some really nice sites #19, 17 near the lake, in our loop #86 is the biggest but you have to have 2 water hoses to reach the hook up (they just updated some things in the park they may have corrected this but not sure). There is water behind the site you can fish back there. Sites #44, 45, 50, 75, and 73 are all good.

We kayaked, swam in the lake, went to Nokomas Beach & Venice beach, Venice Rookery, it's a nice area to visit.

We did have some interesting neighbors who got thrown out after 6 hours of honking their horn & yelling crazy stuff but they escorted them out & they are not allowed back in.

Restrooms near us were small but very clean.We will go back it's a great campground.

Campgrounds

Where are the pictures of the campground? I’d like to see what kind of conditions the camping area entail!

Great Hiking

Oscar Scherer State Park has a diverse range of things to do. Many beautiful hiking trails comprise the swampy scrub. Check out the Legacy Trail that slices it’s way through the park. Sign up for the Scrub Jay 5k that is hosted there every year. The outer camp ground loops are dog friendly, but sites on the river are not (however, beautiful!) Gators can be spotted on or in the river!! Check out both playgrounds and the butterfly nature walk.