Biscayne National Park, FLORIDA
Most Recent Biscayne National Park Camping Reviews
Not here

There's no park here…

Happy camper!

Kings Kamp is a unique property that will work for all visitors. Personally, I camped in a tent, but they also have RV spots and on-site cabins. It was right off the main highway through the keys so it was very easy to get to. Very close to John Pennekamp and everything else in Key Largo. Pretty standard tent sites, nothing glamorous. The campground is in The Keys, so you can't complain about anything! It actually has a small marina, so bring the boat or kayak and launch right there. We found a nice little spot where we fished and had our lunch by (pictured). We did not stay for very long, and truthfully, we ventured out around town for most of the day. That being said, we didn't worry about our gear while out. It felt very safe.

Very beautiful location and reasonable price compared to most other options in the area. Would stay again.

Great place to relax in the keys

We stayed here in March 2019 with a trailer. It was a very relaxing place with a site close to the water. Lots of good restaurants within a short bike trip. Also a grocery store close by. The staff was very friendly. I was a bit surprised how much I liked key largo and this campground. It’s a relaxing area but with plenty to do

Very nice place to stay in the Keys

There is a mixture of perminent residents and people renting a site as they pass through. The tents are off to the edge of the property and are well shaded. The sites are level and graveled. There is water and electric at every site.

There are 2 bathhouses for the campground. They have made an effort to have them centrally located but it can be a bit of a walk.

There is a pool which is in good shape and had a nice deck around it. It would be nice to have more shade but it was pleasant none the less. There were shuffleboard courts and tennis courts. WiFi was available in the lounge area.

There is a campground association that does bingo and runs meet and greet gatherings regularly (schedule is posted as well as announced over public address system.

All areas were clean and maintained nicely. There is security 24hrs. and the gate locks at 11p. If you will be out later a key is available for a $20 refundable deposit.

It is 1 mile from Pennycamp which is a great location.

Surprisingly pretty Park

This is city owned and operated Park/Campground. This fact is significant. It is very pretty with lots of mature shade trees. The RV's are assigned space around several pods. Each pod has its own bathhouse with laundry facilities. There are pull through spots for the big motorhomes and spots reserved for the handicapped. The bathhouses for the RV's were in good shape and well maintained. The bathhouse for the tenters not so much. The bathhouse for the RV's is not very far to walk which I would recommend.

The tent area is off to one side and well shaded by mature trees. It's an area rather than sites. You pick your spot, put up a tent and place a large numbered sign by your area and you've got your spot. While there isn't any electric to plug into at the tent sites, water is provided interspersed throughout the area. Picnic tables and barbecue grills are also provided throughout.

There is a great fire ring with benches for bonfires and a great Beach volleyball court. The pool is clean and guarded by life guards. There is a lounge where you have access to WiFi and plus to charge your phones. The RVs have WiFi around their pods.

Tenters can stay for a Max of 7 nights while RV's can stay for 180. Tenters can only pay for 3 nights at once before returning to re-up. No such rule for RVs. There is a kind of second class feel to the tenters but if you overlook that (I recommend you do) you will have a great time. Staff is very nice and the park is clean.

Not the best camping in a NP but ideally located

This seemed like the only option around for staying on the east side of everglades. It's a very large campground. We had no problem getting a site (apparently they are first come first serve but I've read reviews that there is a way to reserve sites) during "peak season". Some of the sites are fairly close to one another but we got one on the perimeter which was really nice and a little more private. The showers are huge plus (beware water only gets luke cold at best- no hot or warm water in the winter) and having flushing toilets are always nice. Tables and fire rings at each campground. I believe I read that you needed to bring your own wood but I think you could buy some. The campground is in a pretty ideal location. Close to a couple great trails (Anhinga and Long Pine Key). We were able to break up our 2 days in the everglades by splitting it with an day in Biscayne bay- driving too and from the campground to Biscayne NP was very reasonable from this "home base". The only down side to the campground is how close sites are to one another (again perimeter sites seem a little better). Additionally, walking around and seeing people sitting in their RVs watching TV kind of takes away from the camping experience (especially a NP). It's also pretty pricey for camping in a tent. Lastly, their staff is terrible. They're not bright (they'll have trouble figuring out which sites are open and then tell you sites that are obviously taken are actually open). They also lack any customer service skills and can be rude at times.

Nice, scenic campground

This campground is in the Everglades National Park but is managed by a third-party. That was good for us because we were able to stay here during the government shutdown. We stayed for 8 nights at the beginning of January 2019.

First, the website shows that sites are first-come, first-serve except for a limited number of sites that can be reserved. I called and was told reservations were not accepted so we took our chances on getting a spot. When we arrived, the agent stated that there were only 3 spots available for the 3 nights we were going to originally stay (we weren’t sure about connectivity). Needless to say, that was incorrect, there were tons of spots available for the time frame we were there. Anyway, we also found out that they do take reservations somewhere on-line, but I couldn’t find the website for it. We stayed three nights in spot #5. It was a good spot, but our solar was struggling because it was in shade most of the afternoon. We decided to stay a few extra days to explore more. Connectivity was not an issue – Verizon has 3-4 bars without booster. AT&T has no service though. With our booster, we were able to get about 1-2 bars of AT&T and thankfully one of our phones as Wi-Fi call capability, so we were able to make and receive calls. Keep that in mind if you are AT&T only. The campground Flamingo about 40 miles from this campground does have AT&T connectivity, but we didn’t explore the campground to see how it compared.

When we decided to stay longer, we were told we had to move because someone reserved spot #5. That was fine because we wanted to move spots for better solar anyway. The agent said she couldn’t look up which spots were available for the time frame we wanted, but we could drive around and find a few spots we wanted and then she could look it up. That seemed weird, but we did that. We found that spot #66 had great access to solar in the mid-late afternoon so chose it. Thankfully that spot was available. There was some confusion about whether we could reserve it or not. Each person we spoke to said something different, but after many tries, it ended up working out and we were able to stay longer.

We stayed another 5 nights at our new spot #66. Solar was much better there, and we had a nice view of the lake. Both spots we were on were level and it seemed most in the park were level. The road coming in is paved so no issues with accessibility. Since the campground is in the park, you do have to pay the entrance fee, but we have the national park pass. Of course, because of the shutdown there was no one at the gate anyway.

We didn’t inspect the bathrooms or shower houses, but the park was clean and well-maintained. They have a camp host on-site and we did not see any issues that were seen in other parks because of the shutdown.  For some reason, the dumpsters were not emptied until our last day there so some people had put their trash next to the dumpsters, but it was otherwise clean. Very quiet and peaceful as well.

The campground has a lot of slash pine trees which give some shade, but still allows some solar. There were not a ton of good spots for solar IMO (at least in the winter), but anything by the lake would be good. There are no hookups at this site, but they do have potable water and a dump station near the entrance to the campground.

Tons of things to do near this campground. There are trails and of course exploring the Everglades. Homestead/Florida City is about a 20 min drive and you can get groceries, gas and whatever you need there. Robert is Here is a nice fruit stand in Florida City you may want to check out. Worth a trip to the Flamingo visitor center to see crocodiles and manatees. I would also recommend the Royal Palm visitor center and the anhinga trail.

Overall, despite the confusion and frustration over the reservations, it was a nice place and we would stay again. It is closed in the summer months which makes sense, it would be way too hot, and mosquito infested for the summer. Mosquitos were tolerable when we were there, but you need bug spray.

Florida Keys RV

It was a good place to camp at.

Loved It Completely!

Nice campground all the way around, great staff, nice clean restrooms and showers, beautiful beach within the campground itself, nice pool, secure and if I left anything out I didn't mean to. Loved this campground all the way around! They let me bring my portable hot tub if I paid for the water and they didn't charge us enough in my opinion! We were able to rent kayaks from local rental for 24 hrs. and they delivered and picked up at the campground!! Close to everything!

Small but very pretty and great location

We stayed here the first two weeks in April 2018. The staff were very friendly and it was a site that was gorgeous. It had tropical flowers and plants and was right across from the pound. My grandson loved looking at and feeding the ducks and turtles. It is across the street from a massive park that is perfect for all family members. If you go to the park, make sure you see the burrowing owls. While not fancy and is clearly an older park, it’s still very much worth a visit.

Beautiful State Park

This little park is off of Route 1 ( Overseas Highway ) on the North bound side. The park is decently maintained. There is a boat launch and docks. You can rent boats and scuba equipment. You can also take one of the parks many boat tours.

Best Park in Florida City

This park is located right off Route 1 in Florida City. For the area this is a large park. I believe over 150 sites. The sites are decent in size. The park fills up quickly come the winter time with the “ Snow Birds” but the park overall is wonderful. There is a bar/Tiki Hut on premise and a big swimming pool open year round. This is a pet friendly park but with a breed and size restriction, so call ahead if you have Fido with you.

First rv park

Overall not bad. My tent site was near the bathrooms with the showers. During my stay only 3 people used them. Very clean. The tent site I will say was the best of the lot. What i mean is, it wasn't against a fence in the broiling sun. Had trees for shade. Wifi was non existent, the ap on my end has been down since itma. The washing machines were hit and miss. The staff and guests in my area were great. Pricing for a tent is a bit expensive though. All in all not bad.

Fun place for family

TY has been around forever. It has easy access to I-95 and is mostly good for locals to bring children for a day of fun in the sun!

Small quaint campground

Great place to pull over on your way to the Florida Keys or Miami for an overnight stay. Showers, charcoal grills and a small kids playground are the highlights of this park.

RV Parks have uped their game!

Miami Everglades RV Resort is in the Miami area but it doesn't feel like Miami at all. They have a really nice big pool, shuffleboard, putt putt golf, arcade and walking trail. It's off the beaten path but worth the drive. The front office staff was so helpful. We arrived after an afternoon storm had blown their power. They still checked us in with now problem. We stopped here for 2 nights while exploring The Everglades on our way to Key West. Close to Miami Everglades is a fruit stand called Robert Is Here. Don't miss it!

small but accomadating

Conveniently located near stores and everything you would need. Close to airport.

Decent and clean

Have stayed twice, not many places that allow tent camping and this had a few sites for tents and clean facilities.

Go Key Largo!!!!

Great campsite. We were camping in the tent, but still felt a little crowded since Irma took a lot of trees. Don’t let It dIscourage you! reasonable prices, neat and clean facilities, and a couple of nice snorkling spots worth it.

Native Forest in a Tropical Climate

I have been here a few times mainly to use the trails for disc golf. This park is a true escape from the hustle and bustle of South Florida life. Calm and serene park with plenty of activities to enjoy with friends and family.

It's a nice one

stayed at one of the tent sites with water and electric. Very friendly staff. This palce gets really crowded during winter season.

nice tucked away oasis

this is a biutiful campground. Nice place to get away from everything.

Flat, hot.

cI have had a problem with campgrounds in South Florida. Either they are flat, hot, and poorly appointed or they are tree covered, glade like ambience, and buggy as hell. C.B. Smith is the former.

The tenting area is characerless, treeless, the facilities are far removed and poorly maintained, in spite of being relatively new, and not well policed.

The RV section, which I never use (I am a tenter), is more inviting. It is shaded, well kept, and visually appealing. The facilities are more accessible and well maintained, and the grounds are kept clean and visually appealing. There is easy access to water and sewerage, and I occasionally see park personel helping with hookups.

There is easy access to shopping, it is only 12 miles from the beach, and there is a multiscreen theatre for those rainy summer days. In the park there is a water park, an outside "gym", mini-golf, batting cages and driving range. There are many gazebos with tables and grills for group picnicking, There is a well groomed, paved path that winds it way through the park and a perimeter road that circles the park, ideal for bike riding.

For me, the tenting area has one appeal I can't discount. It is very close to my home. When I just want a couple of days out of the house, I can walk there.

The prices are in line with South Florida campgrounds, from $25.00 a night for primitive or "Preserve camping", an area with electric, water, better access to facilities, concrete pads and gazebos, to $40.00 for the RV area.

Small but beautiful location

This is a small campground with mostly lot models and a small motel, but don’t let that keep you away, the people are wonderful!! We spent 3 weeks there and loved it! Nice pavilion down at water, nice little beach, dock, restrooms, showers and laundry

How can you beat the FL Keys?

First, I’m reviewing our second trip to John Pennekamp mainly because it was after Hurricane Irma. They lost a lot in the storm, so many trees, the iguanas are gone and the restaurant is still closed do to high water ruining there kitchen. Most of the park amenities are available.

the sites are very close together and it was a bit difficult to get a 40’ fifth wheel in. Fortunately the site across from us was empty so we could utilize that space. To pull forward to get in straight. We found the sites lacking vegetation in between. But, again this was after Irma and they have replanted but it will take years.

Would we go back? Absolutely!

Great spot

We love to camp here! It' getting a bit better , some company got the ok to run them and now they are putting in vending machines and solar power.

Relax or Play

This park was a great place to relax and bike ride.

Great central location, clean and safe

This campsite is a great central base camp for those visiting Biscayne NP/ Everglades NP and Miami. Clean and safe, with spots for both rv’s and tents. Bathrooms/showers/laundry facilities on site are well maintained.

Wish the website was clearer on length of stay - 30 days for RVs and 7 days for tent campers. After 7 days, you have to leave and can’t return for 30 days 😟. They do provide a list of other local campgrounds you can move to, though.

Near a major street, so it can get noisy - and on weekends you can hear the music from a local bar.

water on water on water

When we went, we did a lot of kayaking. We saw a ton of wildlife, beautiful waters, and views. Unfortunately, there's a TON of liter (not the park's fault, just dirty people who don't care about the environment). There's a ton to see there, and I wish we could have spent more time to be able to do a private boat tour or go snorkeling! I guess we have to go back!

Cool spot if you are in an RV

Would not recommend this campground if you are tent camping. It was packed with RVs and the spaces are very close together. Dogs are allowed but there were so many when we went it was difficult to walk our dogs. Great place to snorkel, small beaches, fishing, boat rentals.