The best RV SITES camping near
Wagener , SOUTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Wagener Camping Reviews
A great stay near Congaree!

We stayed here for our visit to Congaree (about 45 min away). The road getting in is a little rough and it’s surprisingly far into the park, and I would highly recommend getting there in daylight hours, but it was still pretty easy to find our spot and set up quickly. The sites are covered in moss-dripping trees and the park is really beautiful. The bathrooms were clean and well kept and our camp hosts David and Beth were so kind and helpful. Remember your firewood! It’s a bit hard to get a hold of the Rangers to purchase any. We loved our stay!

Sites have great size

This is a beautiful place, with great sites, that have a good space between each other, this way you can have some privacy!

excellent

We were looking for a stopover for one night.  Called enroute and the friendly owner said to come on in.  It is a small family owned campground.  Put money in box as honor system.  All sites face the lake.  Cute as it can be.

$35

Great staff, cozy park

Arrived here for two nights in the tent after Myrtle Beach. Site 46 is not terribly even, but it's well situated inside the loop. The park is clean, the tent pad is a good size, and the amazing aroma of pine is one of the natural highlights. Unfortunate that the camp store closes at 5 pm. So one must drive to Publix for firewood. The closest Walmart has $2 ice bags.

It’s ok

Just left Aiken State Park in SC. We will not be returning because it didn’t meet our requirements, but it is not a bad park if it’s what you’re looking for, so here’s the pros and cons:

Pros - super affordable, nice location, very peaceful/quiet, nature trails, kayak rentals available, clean, nice staff

Cons - sand/uneven pads, very tight to drive through and get parked, the dump station is inconvenient to get out of when leaving the campground, absolutely no cell service at campsite (we have Verizon, att, and tmobile)

One other big negative for us, which I hope no one else has to encounter is there was a seemingly, stray dog running around. Super sweet and timid around people, but we have our dog with us (boxer) and the stray attacked our dog. Just warning if you’re there or going soon.

Something for everyone!

Dreher Island was a great camping location! We stayed at tent sites 1&2 which was kind of like having our own private compound. If coming back again I would book tent sites 1-3 to claim the whole area! Other parts of the campgrounds seemed to be on top of each other and more sloped to access water. Access to the lake was a breeze from the site; easy to walk in the water and to get the kayaks in and out. Fishing was convenient from the shore. Bike riding was also great here although time did not allow for much of that this trip.

If interested in renting kayaks or paddle boards, I highly recommend Paddle South Outfitters. Travis was awesome and delivered kayaks right to the site and picked up too! Super nice guy!

Bathrooms were very clean and not a far walk from the campsite. Would stay beyond 2 nights next trip to explore more.

Still Unknown

Had high hopes for this place.  Unfortunately, the gate was locked and posted that it was closed for the season.   I was able to drive around and check out the boat ramp and picnic areas.  They were nice.

Trails abound! Drive carefully.

The pros: Poinsett State Park has some of the best hiking and biking trails in the Palmetto State. You could spend multiple days camping here and have a chance to hike different trails every day.

The cons: It's not easy to get in here with anything bigger than a full size pickup. The park road is very narrow and uneven with lots of large pot holes. The road to the campground is a little better, but also very narrow. It would be difficult to pull off to let another vehicle pass without fear of ending up off the road or hitting a tree.

We enjoyed the variety of hiking options here. It would be great if the state parks service could direct some funding to repairing and widening the roads and repairing some of the trails that were damaged in the 2015 flood that are now impassible.

Happened Upon This One

Monday, September 14th. Warm and muggy with rain here and there. Went to my planned campsite Lake Springs, which was closed for the season. My late start along with the closed campground meant I would be looking in the dark.  Luckily right up US 221, I found the Army Corp of Engineers Modoc Campground.  It was way after dark as I drove around looking for a site marked open.  I found one and set up camp.  The next morning I broke camp and drove around and checked things out in the daylight.  It's a very nice campground!

Site 23 Labor Day weekend

This is an ok campground. Small (25 sites) and quiet. Kudos to the park staff for calling the day before to see if we needed firewood, and give us the gate code in case we were going to be late.

As I said before, it is quiet (except for our neighbors ac kicking on and off all day and night). Site 23 is spacious, and although it backs to the road, there is minimal traffic on it.

The bath house is in the middle of the loop and easily accessible. It is a little outdated, but was always clean. The showers are newer than the rest of the bathroom.

There is a canoe/kayak launch close enough to walk to and we saw many people with kayaks and canoes.

We are tent campers and slept with no rain fly, looking at the stars and listening to coyotes howl at night.

A good park overall and a quiet peaceful weekend.