Bloomingdale, NEW JERSEY

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Bloomingdale Camping Reviews
Not a campground

This is not a campground

Love this place!

Love this campground! We keep returning! Sites are wooded and pretty… so much to do on and around campground ! Highly recommended!

Campground wedding

We got married here so obviously Tohickon Family Campground will forever hold a special place in my family’s heart. The rustic barn and meadow by the creek was exactly what my wife and I wanted for our special day. The fact that there was an old mill on the property and a covered bridge right out front for post wedding photos was icing on the cake for us. The campground itself is average, seems a little outdated but overall in good condition. I personally didn’t use the bathhouse so I cannot comment. Price for full hookup campsites are very reasonable. Bottom line if you are looking for a modern campground with tons of amenities for $100 a night this is not the campground for you, but if your looking for a nice quiet simple campground with beautiful rustic setting at a very reasonable price than it’s perfect.

Rustic

Great Camp !!! One rustic place with many hiking trails to choose from. Camp also provides trucking of gear weather permitting. No vehicles allowed to drive through camp. Trading Post for treats and other items.

Many camp sites open to rent. Cabins - Leanto - Tent Sites. Check web site for pricing.

Our local favorite

We appreciate that they haven’t charged us extra in the past for our kids. Our kids love the pool and splash area. Dump station location isn’t ideal on a busy morning. I heard they might work on a second dump location and was told to ask if it’s ok to stick around until it dies down if our site isn’t needed soon. Friendly campground. Go visit Ringing Rocks park with a hammer while you are here. While it’s obviously busier, we liked being below the pool where our kids could fish in the pond and easy access to the pool.

Beautiful, quiet, and remote campsite in the mountains.

This place was actually fantastic, I don't really have anything negative to say about it. The whole scene was exactly what I love about camping, a nice little remote campground in the mountains.

We actually only stayed here overnight to just get out and see the autumn colors before winter hit, so I wasn't really expecting much, but man was I impressed. The drive up to this place was so breathtaking the entire way. Adorable little mountain houses, with bridges that go over a stream to get to their front door. Made me quake with jealousy.

My husband said he would come back here just for the scenic drive to this campsite even, and I'd have to agree. We couldn't have picked a better time of the year too, the fall leaves were so vibrant. When we got to the campsite and checked in, there was a chicken right outside the camp office, which my dog seemed to appreciate most! We were kindly escorted to our site (a nice refreshing change from having to wander around to find the sites ourselves), which was the one farthest away from the entrance. We were able to just drive right up into our site and make ourselves at home for the day. The drive to our site had some inclines and was relatively rocky and some vehicles would surely struggle.

This place was just so calming and quiet, it was really just such a relaxing place to be. There was no irritation from loud, busy nearby roads, no city noise, no people yelling or stomping about. We set up camp and went for a little walk around to explore a bit. There were some open fields, some hunting trails with tree stands, and some remains of old structure foundations, chimneys, and farm equipment. Nothing super exciting but a nice way to walk the dog anyway.

Once it was time to turn in for the night, that's when the cool part happened. I've camped many times at multiple state parks, huge remote state forests, but I've never heard so much wildlife there as I did here. Only shortly after we settled into our tent did we hear foxes fighting right outside our tent, the snorts of deer, and there were bats right above us all night making noise! I guess if you don't like that kind of stuff you should avoid an area like this, but for some of us, this is what camping is all about. It was just so awesome to hear the sounds of wildlife all around you, and it's not something that's too easy to experience at a lot of NJ campgrounds, usually because the places aren't remote enough or campers are too rowdy. This place really delivers when it comes to spending some time in nature.

After a nice relaxing night out in the woods we packed up early in the morning (it was planned to rain the entire day) and headed out to the Cracker Barrel in Clinton to get a hot breakfast before heading home. Every moment was well worth it and the trip was just so rejuvenating despite how short it was. I will definitely be back next season.

Pros:

• Picnic tables and fire rings at each site. Fire ring had a grate for cooking.

• Nice flat area for your tent. Our site was fully private (could not see or hear neighbors).

• Beautifully secluded and quiet. Pretty rare for campgrounds in NJ.

• Drive right up to your spot for your convenience. The drive up to the campsite was literally jaw-dropping the whole way up into the mountains. You pass through beautiful, quaint little towns and go over aged bridges, along mountain streams and though open valleys. The entire area is just gorgeous, open country.

• Campsites are either in thick, wooded areas, or in open fields.

• Dog friendly!

• A playground for kids.

• Porta-potties were super clean and…actually smelled good??? Maybe they were just cleaned or they are just really well cared for. Either way, it was unusual for a campsite.

• Close to the Delaware River, Spruce Run Reservoir, and Round Valley Reservoir.

• Wildlife everywhere!

• The free-range chickens by the office are a warm welcome.

• Our site was on a hill and most likely not in a flood area.

• Strict rules so that nature lovers can enjoy the outdoors without worrying about noisy neighbors or trash everywhere. Not a place you go to if you want to throw a rowdy party and just generally be a nuisance.

Cons:

• Occasional, very minor traffic noise (mainly just from loud sports cars on the highway)
  • The ground is moderately rocky, so there may be some slight troubles getting tent stakes in the ground.
  • They do not allow you to gather your own firewood, but they do sell it in their camp store.

Points of interest nearby:

• Spruce Run Reservoir and Round Valley Reservoir are nearby for all your fishing, boating, hiking, and swimming (even scuba diving) needs.

• If you're looking for a scenic drive that makes you forget that you're in NJ, head on over to the Alpha Grasslands Preserve in Alpha, NJ.

• The Delaware River is nearby with some great fishing spots.

• Just past the Delaware River through Milford NJ, into PA, is a park called Ringing Rocks County Park. Some waterfalls to see and hiking to do. If you strike certain rocks with a metal hammer they ring, hence the name of the park!

Lavender blooms!

So pleasant to sleep near the blooming fields. Campsite is tucked in the woods with. Tent camping in peace and quiet with easy access to major roads and highways to explore central NJ

Everything you need for family fun

Love it!!Our favorite family campground! We've tried to camp at least one weekend a month from spring through fall and try different places,but we always come back to Mountain Vista! The staff is friendly and helpful and they have a ton of great activities from kids carnival, craft beer tastings,farmers market, bingo…the list goes on!Their pool and kiddie splash pad is well kept as are the rest of the facilities. We did the gas saver program for the second time this June and invited lots of friends and family up and everyone had a blast! Lots of great memories made! Also, very pet friendly! We'll be back!

Peace and Quiet

Since it was late in the season, I called ahead to make sure this campground (22 individual sites plus two group sites and four cabins– two rustic and two modern) was still open. I was reassured that it was, that reservations were not needed, and that a ranger would come around to collect our fee ($30 cash or check). We arrived around 6 pm to a completely empty campground. Granted it was a rainy Sunday night, but the gates were open and so were the restrooms, so we settled into site 16, across from the restrooms. Aside from occasional road noise on Cafferty Road, we didn’t hear any noise or see another soul (including the ranger) during our overnight stay. There was no place to self/register/pay that we could find. The next morning, we woke to sunshine and the campground looked beautiful. No hookups and the bathrooms were reasonable but not the best we’ve encountered. The shower did not look very appealing. I did not see the cabins or the pool that is open Memorial Day through Labor Day. I read that two water releases each year in March and early November are very popular for whitewater rafters and many of these paddlers stay in the cabins and campground. I also read about hiking trails but could not find them on the Google map on my phone. Not seeing much to do, we packed up and left what was likely the most peaceful night of camping we’ve experienced in a long time!