Gateway National Recreation Area, NEW JERSEY
Camping New Jersey Gateway National Recreation Area
Most Recent Gateway National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Nothing there but clean and quiet

This campground is old and there isn't much there, but it depends on why you're camping whether that matters to you.  We wanted to be by the beach and we were.

The playground is new and centrally located.  They also have a horseshoe pit.

There are lots of RVs but not close to tent sites.  There were lots of showers but only 1 was unlocked (free and with hot water).  The bathroom was very clean and well stocked.

There are 5-7 tent sites.  Ours was #59, well shaded and spacious.

The water spigot and the gray-water dump are not right by the tent sites.  Seems silly since the tents are the ones using them.

Our site was not clean when we arrived.  There was garbage in the woods and cigarette butts on the ground.  We cleaned up everything ourselves (except in the woods due to poison ivy), but I think they can do better.

There are NO fire pits, you must bring your own.  Fires are allowed but you must have a fire container or bucket for your fire off of the ground.

The sites all have a table and raised BBQ "pit" for cooking only.

They are extremely nice there.

I still give this campground 4 stars because it was quiet, the campground itself was clean, the bathrooms were clean and it was centrally located to what I wanted to do plus the sites are very big.

give away

Guys, for limited time this website is giving for free a survival pen: bit.ly/2YvHAhz

Fun location

We went on 4th of July weekend so the place was packed. We were able to get a secluded spot in the woods which was great! 2 teenage girls had a blast in the lake and riding their bikes around. Pool was packed so didn’t spend time there but the ceramic class was fun for the girls. Lots of seasonal campers so not much room for spots for weekend visits unless you want to be in the field areas with not much shade cover. Overall we had a good experience.

Riverfront

Great for tubing and boating in the river. Large sites. Nice pool. Only complaint is we got a site next to a seasonal camper who did no maintenance at all. Other than that it was pretty cool.

Big campground, big lake, clean and enjoyable

Big campground, lots of sites, nice pool, big community hot tub, boating is great, good fishing, nice playground, basketball court and great amenities.

Super lindo y el Personal muy amable

Super lindo todo!! $15 dolares la noche para los que viven en el Estado de New York o New York city .. si es fuera del estado son $5 dolares mas!! Lo mejor es reservar online y escojer el espacio pero no es obligatorio.. si quieres acampar en un area lejos y solo pues escojan la seccion W… no todas las secciones tienen una plataforma de madera para poner tu caseta de campaña.. algunas secciones son las casetas ensima de la grama.. lo mejor es buscar una seccion que esten los bańos y las duchas cerca en caso también de que se te antoje ir de madrugada … para el mes de Agosto no habia nada de mosquitos ni moscas .. El personal muy amable .. no habia mucha vigilancia.. lo que si es llevar mucho gas y carbon y palos de madera para la fogata y estar preparado si llueve.. hay una tienda que venden palos para la fogata $12.. venden Cafe $1 . Hielo $5 ..$10  .. venden frisas .. leche y muchas cosas mas!!! Hay un lago estilo playa..bueno lo unico que los que no están acostumbrados a ver o escuchar animales salvajes es un poco miedoso en la noche!! Nunca tener comida ni nada de olor dentro de las casetas por que los osos viene por la comida .. dejar todo dentro del carro .. y en fin todo muy lindo.. los bańos y bańera muy limpios y ademas puedes cargar en el bańo el celular

Town Campground

This is a small beach campground.Its all but impossible to get an RV spot there from Memorial day to Labor day. Still, it is a clean and well run campground.Easy beach access.

Nice place but could be better.

The place was nice & cleaned and cheap. The lady in the store is rude & smokes to much, the pool area closes at 6pm that’s to early I think, the Baseball fields is run down, Quite time is from 10:00pm-8am Strictly Enforced but people were still partying & making noise at till 1am.

Been coming here since forever

I love blydenburgh it’s my favorite park of all time for sure

Great place for kids

Short distance from the NYC, very organized, clean pond, has a playground, showers, bathroom. Your phone will have signal.

Jaw dropping sunsets-Canoe Needed

I highly recommend this campground as a place to get out and camp out on the water. You can hike in by foot but if you have camp gear and tent equipment my recommendation is to canoe your belongings in! There’s usually a couple of campfires at each site and you’ll book with the rangers when you drive in or by phone to get your permit. The sunsets here are incredible and I’ve camped in Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota!

Like camping in a city park, the beach cottages are the highlight

My husband and and I camped one night at this newly reopened park over the weekend in Long Island just to check it out and were pretty disappointed by the tent camping area. There are 69 tent/trailer sites(no hook ups). There is no distinguishing separation between each site nor a designated driveway for your car- you merely pull up on the grass. It's basically like camping in your local city park. People park wildly all over the place, which also makes it more difficult to determine which site is which by the number painted on the roadway. Each"site" has a picnic table and an barbecue grate on a post. There is one bath/shower house in the center of all of these sites with no path provided for folks to walk to and fro, so naturally people will walk right through your site randomly rather than around the road. While the bathroom building itself is in decent shape and has a large amount of toilet stalls and about five showers, the condition of women's room was absolutely ghastly inside.

At some point during the evening, a maintenance worker on a golf cart showed up with a mop and some cleaning supplies and cleaned the men's side of the building. I was so relieved when I saw him, but he seemed to neglect the women's side completely, so I resorted to using the men's facilities all night.

There are no fire pits on any of the sites, although I learned afterwards that they do allow you to bring your own metal fire pit as long as it is elevated off the ground. There are large dumpsters located throughout the camping area and a large trash bag is provided (if needed) at the camp office when you check in.

The highlight of Heckscher State Park is the newly constructed heated cottages located on the shore of Nichol's& Great South Bays.. There are currently 11 cottages--- with more under construction. There are cottages suited for two, four, and six people and range in price from$225-$285 per night during off peak seasons and$250- 320 per night during the peak seasons.

The cottages are fully furnished, with a full kitchen and large bathroom with a walk in shower. The cottages are a short walk from the beach and also include a fire pit with Adirondack chairs and an outdoor shower on the exterior each property. I do not have photos of the inside, but they do have them on the Reserve America website if you are interested.

While the cottages are lovely and their location is fabulous  they are quite pricey and  no TLC was spent in the$22 tent/rv camping area, other than a new registration office which is not yet completed as of this weekend. I do hope they invest some funding in the primitive area to add fire pits,more water spigots, clearer site markings and for the continued maintenance& upkeep of the bath/shower house.

* I emailed the parks departement about the issues mentioned above about the camping area and received this reply:

I am sorry that you are upset with the conditions in our recently opened campgrounds. We have replaced all of the picnic tables. Although, they may look old because they are weathered since these picnic tables were put together during the Winter, however, they are brand new. All of the barbeques are also new and were installed during the Winter. We have changed and modernized the light fixtures and we will be replacing the rusted doors that you mentioned. There are also plans to install a playground within the campground beginning this Fall and we are looking for other improvements and additions to the campgrounds. As you probably noticed there is a new building under construction, at the entrance to the campgrounds, and it will serve as a check-in area, as well as, additional comfort stations, including family restrooms. Your suggestion of fire pits is a good one and the Park Managers will evaluate the feasibility of installing these. Lastly, I have spoken to the Park Manager who will review the cleaning operation to ensure the restrooms are appropriately maintained. I apologize for our employee not cleaning the women's room. Again, I am sorry for your negative experience but we are continuing to make improvements to the campgrounds.

Sincerely, George Gorman Regional Director New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

I will check back later this year to see if anything was changed and report back.

its ok

Like the title says, its ok. I think it would make a better day trip, family BBQ location. the Parkway is right there so its not a nice quiet place.

Very nice campground

Clean, well spaced lots. Electric and water with every site. $30 gets you a tent site. We rented a paddle boat for $15 and cruised the lake. Will be back

Clean and cozy

Tent camped July 1st. Clean bathrooms. Sites are a little too close together. Noisy with highway traffic. Well maintained though. Ticks galore.

Round Valley Trip

We went to Round Valley Resevoir on 6/21-6/22/19. When hit the water around Noon and after paddling for about 15 minutes the wind really kicked up and the water got pretty rough. We originally were supposed to camp at site 83, but the water was too rough to continue that far. The strobe lights were activated and we pulled off of the water. After about 30 minutes I called the ranger station and requested a new camp site because the water was too rough, and the strobe system was activated. The person I spoke to said that the strobes didnt mean to get off the water, but just to stay close to the coast and continue paddling. I told the person that it was not safe to paddle and we got reassigned to another site. (It should be noted that in the ranger station as well as on the literature they give you when checking in says to get off of the water if the stobes are turnd on). We ended up at site 40. The site itself was ok, but not really level. We were a little over a mile to the nearest water point. It was nice to see bathrooms along the trail with trash cans.  However the bathrooms were really dirty and unmaintained.  I understand it is a wilderness camping spot, but the one bathroom actually had feces covering the floor. The trash cans were nice though.

The wind died down early on 6/22 and we hit the water, paddling back to the boat launch in about an hour in calm water.  Over all the site was not too bad, with a great view of the water. The staff was not very friendly , saftey concious or helpful. I felt the advice to just keep paddling close to coast while th strobe alert system was activated was not very wise.  We will probably visit again, but will hike in so we do not have to deal with the unpredictable wind ans water conditions. Also his is an active Bear area , so bring bear spray. Also , there was no cell servce by the ranger station , but our phones worked well when out on the water and at the camp site.

Close to what your in NYC for

This is a great spot with views of Manhattan, Statue of Liberty, etc. Expect to pay pretty good to be gear, but from here you can pretty much easily get anywhere in NYC. Service is great and friendly. Checking in was easy, and they accommodated our needs. Expect to pay between $35-50 for a Lyft to get to Brooklynn.

cool boy

but i will do my best

Favorite in NJ

I absolutely love this place and has become my go to for quick spur of the moment trips in Jersey. It’s about a 3mi hike to campsites #1 & #2 and 6mi to the last sites #84 & #85. The hike is not terrible in my opinion just lots of ups and downs for the first 3mi. Once you get to the campground trail it’s pretty easy going on asphalt surface. You also have the option to boat into a lot of the sites but will warn you that the winds pick up out of nowhere on the reservoir and can make paddling a bit taxing at points…. so check the forecast and be prepared. Only reason for a 1 star loss is, like others have mentioned, these sites are hit or miss. I’ve gotten beautiful sites with ample space and great lake access to pads that can barely hold a tent, have way too many sharp rocks to put a tent on or covered in 6 inches of mud. Would just do your research before reserving and if possible scout out a few of your favorites beforehand. Also make sure to take a look at the water situation. Was out there this weekend (6/22/19) and because they are installing a new filtration system only two water pumps are working and depending on which site you get you can be up to 1.5mi away from the nearest one.

Good Camp for groups

It's a good park/camp for groups. They have cabins and RV sites and now that the Tapan Zee bridge work is done most of them are now open again as the bridge workers have moved out.

There is a model airplane air field and a decent playground for young kids.

Only down side is there is a train depot right outside and you can hear them shunting trains all night.

Camping experience

Small campground. Sites very close to one another. Close to ferry for downtown and Statue of Liberty. People are very nice and accommodating. More of a stopping place to see the sites.

Convenient location

This campground is conveniently located near six flags (5min), Sesame Place (40 min) and Philadelphia (60 min). Campground has friendly staff and plenty of activities for children of all ages. Play ground, basket ball, beautiful pool and for an extra fee beach access. Now for the down side: it appears that the office and camp store (which offers a lot) has overgrown the facilities. There are many seasonal campsites many have let there sites go with clutter. The campsites themselves could use some TLC but most of all the roads need some work. There are many pot holes that need gravel. Over all will not rule this campground out in the future but will look for other campgrounds first.

Fake

The place doesn’t exist

Like it

We really like this campground. Quiet and spacious. No facilities, just a porta-jon, but i think that makes it better. Police patrolled, and dog friendly.

Lovely campgrounds an hour north of NYC

Drive-in tent campgrounds. Adequate restroom facilities sprinkled amongst tent sites. Some campsites have raised platforms. All sites have picnic tables and fire ring with flip-top grill. If looking for privacy, back end of campgrounds (#’s 1, 13, 15, 21, 23, etc) provide adequate quietness, a bit hidden and tucked away from the rest. Very near many trailheads and the expansive Lake Welsh. Alcohol prohibited… Uploaded photo/vid from off-season 2019.

Love it here!

My fiancé, dog, and I have been going here for over 2 years and we love it. The campground is small but also secluded. We always hike to the lake here, it’s a very easy hike and also very peaceful. Definitely come here when you get a chance. There is electric and water hookups for your RV which is great! And at the campgrounds there is a platform where you can pitch your tent.

Good

Decent, good bathrooms, nice facility

Great campsite and amazing food!

I camped on one of the platforms, which was very nice and did not feel crowded even with other people on neighboring platforms. One highlight was having meals cooked by the stellar chef. The lake is very peaceful, and home to beavers we watched from the dining hall patio. This campsite is accessible by public transportation. There is a shuttle run by the campsite to and from Tuxedo Park Train Station (reservations on shuttle required).