Pets Unknown
About Worthington State Forest
Worthington State Forest is located in New Jersey
19 Reviews of Worthington State Forest
Gorgeous location with generous sites !

We camped here in almost mid October this year. Our first time in a NJ state park. The tent camping area was right along the river, some sites with direct access, some you'd have to walk a little more to the larger access areas. Our site, 15, had a direct path right down where you could be on the river. It was also very close to the bathroom/shower without actually being close enough that people bothered you, rarely even heard folks going to the restrooms. The camp site was level, huge, good table and had a lantern hook, too. Plenty of places for tent and shelter, plus tons more space. The bathrooms got the job done. Nothing fancy, but had hot water showers, large shower rooms and enough bathrooms as well. Biggest extra was a dishwashing sink which felt amazing after a summer of camping far from water and all the drama that entails. Its a "dry" campground, but I know for sure the sites around us did not follow that rule. No electric, or water at each site, just at the bathrooms. There's so much outdoor stuff to do in this area that honestly I'd go back a ton of times if I could. Hiking, fishing, Lakota Wolf Preserve, Pennsylvania…the list goes on. 100% recommend this area for camping!

Great for Families

Worthington State forest is right on the Delaware river. It is a beautiful place to camp. You can hike up Douglas trail and sit near the Sunfish Pond. This campground is great for families but not for groups going out to drink alcohol. Alcohol and cigarettes/vapes are not allowed.

Nice and secluded

Our campsite was located along the Delaware river with a short walk down to be able to launch our canoe and kayak. With the exception of a few noisy campers up from us it was an enjoyable time. The water is rather warm and swimming was enjoyable.

Ranger Review: Primus Onja at Worthington State Forest

**Campground Review**

We REALLY enjoyed staying at Worthing State Park. The whole place was fairly large and very well maintained. We had a ton of space for our individual campsite and felt like we were far enough away from others to have our privacy but not too far into the woods that it felt creepy. They bathrooms were also clean which is always a plus. If I were to come back, I would consider reserving a spot ahead of time to get one of the campsites along the riverbank(although it seemed like those could get buggy). The only downside I would say to Worthing State Park is how far it took for us to drive to our site every time we wanted to leave. It was a good 5 minute drive down a gravel road from the entrance of the campgrounds to our tensile (watch the time lapse). That said, I would highly recommend staying at Worthing State Park!

**Product Review**

As as Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time— on this trip I tested the Onja Stove from Primus.

I really enjoyed my first experience with the Onja Stove. One of my favorite parts of camping is planning fun meals to make, however, I feel like I am often limited because I have to cook just one component at a time and limited in the size of the pot or pan I can use. The Onja certainly helped some this problem.

It has a double burner which allows for two full sized pots and pans to be used at once on it. I The stove itself is very sturdy which was a huge plus. In the past, I always felt like I had to constantly be holding on to my pots and pans because they felt like they would just fall off the small burner they were balancing on. The Onja stove had more the feel of a kitchen stovetop. I could let the food cook on the burners and walk away without the fear of it tipping over. Another big plus of the Onja stove is its sleek design. It folds up nicely into itself and has a carrying strap attached for walking around with it.

The Onja is very easy to set up and attach the burners too. Once you start cooking with it, there is a small learning curve for getting the right temperature/amount of flame, but once you get that down, its smooth sailing.

The Onja comes with a beautiful wooden cutting board on top, however, its narrow design doesn’t make it the most practical of cutting boards and I would still recommend you bringing another. The Onja definitely is a game changer in terms of cooking on a campout. It allows you to focus on cooking with two pans/pots at once and with the stability of a kitchen stove top. It is quick and easy to set up as it folds open and close with ease.

Pros to Onja:

-Double Burner. Now you can cook your bacon and burgers at the same time! No more cold bacon on your hot burger.

-Opens and closes very easily because of its design-Sturdy device. You can cook on the stove without the worry of your pots falling off.

-Attractive design and comes in two different colors

Cons to Onja:

-Too heavy/bulky to take backpacking. Good for picnic and car camping only.

-If you want to use both burners, you have to invest in two gas canisters

-Cutting board not a very practical device because it is too narrow

Spacious, chilled, clean, quiet

We arrived at our site later than the check in time, had a bit of trouble finding it but once wr did it was easy enough. Careful on the roads to the campsite, they're a bit on the bumpy side. Defo smaller roads than your usual ones. We have a minivan so we had to take our time on all the pot holes. Campsite was lovely though, and were the only people there! Great hot showers and chilled vibes. Very quiet and serene. They warn for black bears so obvs practice safe routines and leave no trace!

State Forest camping with large sites on the Delaware River

There are two camping areas at Worthington State Forest - one area is tent only and the other area, separated by 3 group sites, has sites suitable for RVs and campervans. There are no hookups at any of the sites. Alcohol is not allowed. Facilities include plentiful single use bathrooms and showers.

Site 10 is a spacious, private tent site. Sites 36 and 37 are close together but would be great waterfront campervan sites.  Many tent sites are wooded. Ticks and rattlesnakes are present in the area. Additionally, store food properly as this is bear country.

Activities include water sports on the Delaware River as well as hiking. We formed a loop hike by combining the Douglas Trail (1.7 miles), a stretch of the Appalachian Trail, and the Garvey Springs Trail (1.2 miles). This route will climb about 1200 feet past Laurel Falls to a backpacker Appalachian Trail campsite, and onward along Kittatinny Ridge to Sunfish Pond - a 44 acre glacial lake designated as a World Heritage Site - before descending back down.

RV camping along the Delaware River

We’ve stayed in some of the RV campsites on these campgrounds. Bathrooms with flush toilets are conveniently located centrally every so often. Campsite #’s 48-62 share bathrooms that have showers and dishwashing sink, but nearly all are essentially in a big field, and in view of anyone that drives by. Campsites are equipped with picnic tables and fire rings with hinge-top grills. These items are set closer to the water, so driving up and parking your car at an optimal angle does provide some coverage if you have privacy concerns.

Ice and firewood conveniently located at forest office.

Booking sites 37-29 are much more ideal if you want to camp beneath the forest canopy, with personal preference being to site 33, 29 (full canopy, seclusion), and 36 & 37 are great if you are with a larger group wishing to book 2 sites side-by-side on the waterfront.

Very convenient trailheads (Douglas Springs, Garvey Springs) located just outside of camping area (exit campgrounds just past campsite 58), take dayhike up to Sunfish Pond.

magical tent-camping along the Delaware River

The tent camping spots here are all pretty wonderful (1-23). Fire pits and picnic tables are offered at each site. Full bathrooms are located behind campsite #15 (clean flushing bathrooms, with motion-sensed lighting, showers, dishwashing sink), but easily accessible from campsites nearby. Port-O-Johns serve the other further campsites (1-12). Our personal preference out of these tent-only sites are site #’s 19, 16, 15, 12, 11, 5, and 1. These, above the others, boast magnificent views of the Delaware River, have ample tree/shade (impressive grove of very tall, old Tulip trees grows here), or are more private than the rest. If camping with a larger group, and wishing to book multiple sites, #’s 13-15 would be great, or #’s 5-7. These sites are closer in proximity, in view of one another, and have an easy-access trail in between each. If bringing along your own kayak, canoe, or for fishing, most sites, if not all, have pathways down to the river.

Most other sites not mentioned have less privacy, visible from thru-road, or have less desirable views. All would work fine in a pinch though, as it is quite incredible to camp in this dense forest along the river.

Activities: canoeing/kayaking/rafting along the river (Edge of the Woods Outfitters in DWG offers fairly-priced 10, 6, or 4-mile river trip) or driving to the nearby Appalachian Trail head (or Dunfield Creek Trail for the waterfall views/dips in the falls) for a day-hike are a must.
Ice and firewood conveniently sold at the forest office.

Awesome Site 19

We stayed in site 19 great spot very discreet. Right on the water. Careful if you are staying in rain you will have washouts. Great hiking trails as well We hiked Mt. Tammany.

Lots to do!

Worthington had wonderful grassy sites and clean bathrooms. Unfortunately when we were there the bathroom closest to us didn't have any warm water so the showers were a no go but, there was another bathhouse nearby. Lots of trails to hike and they have a boat launch so you can canoe or kayak down the river. Our site had a lovely view of the Delaware.

The only negative experience was that we had a lot of noisy neighbors who ignored the quiet hours by playing loud music into the night and yelling in their drunken states. It would have been nice if the Rangers had properly enforced the quiet hours.