the dyrt
Stokes State Forest is located in New Jersey
11 Reviews of Stokes State Forest
Ranger Review: humangear FlexiBowl and GoBites at Steam Mill Campground

Campground Review

Stokes State Forest has four campgrounds. The Steam Mill Camping Area is tucked out the of the way and is the most primitive. It is the smallest of the campgrounds with 27 sites only suitable for tents or small trailers/campervans. No pets or alcohol allowed.

The campground has a pit toilet and a well. Each large campsite has a picnic table, fire pit, and lantern hook. Some sites also have a tent platform. Many sites are a bit rocky.

We selected site T219. It was a solid choice: private but close to the toilet and water. Some sites located around the opposite side of the ring back up to a babbling brook. The rushing water will soothe you to sleep.

Remember, this is bear country so proper food storage is a must. Bear lockers are not provided. The area also has ticks and rattlesnakes.

Outdoor activities in the area abound. Go fishing, hiking, biking, horseback riding, kayaking, and more. There are 21 marked trails that cover over 63 miles within the boundaries of Stokes State Forest. Twelve miles are part of the Appalachian Trail. Pick up a hiking map at the park office or download the Avenza Maps app.

This visit we hiked the Tillman Ravine trail (tip: make the trail a loop and visit both the ravine and the nearby old cemetery).

You can also drive or hike to Sunset Mountain Scenic Overlook for a view of High Point Monument. High Point Monument is the highest elevation in New Jersey and is located in High Point State Park which borders Stokes State Forest on the north. High Point State Park also offers camping, hiking, sightseeing opportunities. And, on the western border of Stokes State Forest is the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. So, there is lots of outdoors to get out and explore!

Product Review

We camped at the Steam Mill Camping Area in Stokes State Forest in our campervan over a chilly autumn weekend. We had the opportunity to cook some soup on our stovetop and chill out by the campfire. And, as Rangers for The Dyrt, we get products to test from time to time so we were psyched to try out some new dinnerware and cutlery. This included the FlexiBowl and GoBites from humangear.

What made these humangear products pretty awesome? Well, the fun colors to start. I mean, seriously, my orange bowl rules. The FlexiBowl also has some neat features: it’s flexible - just like the name suggests - and foldable. The bowl can be squished and stuffed anywhere. And, the top section can be folded down to create a smaller bowl. The FlexiBowl is versatile yet durable. It held my hearty, warm soup just perfectly.

I paired the FlexiBowl with one of the GoBites utensils (the Uno model). The Uno model is my favorite - it has a fork on one side and a spoon on the other side. Very simple and convenient. The other GoBites models include the Duo (separate fork and spoon that can snap together) and the Trio (a fork, spoon, and knife - with bottle opener - in a case).

PRO TIP: I keep the Trio GoBites model in my travel pack at all times. It recently came in handy on a (non-camping) trip to Sardinia. The knife on the Trio allowed me to slice some delicious local cheese to pair with bread, jam, and wine that was purchased from the grocery store. YUM.

A real life fairytale

If you’re a novice or experienced stokes is the place for you. They have tent sites, lean to sites, cabin sites, trailer/rv sites, and some of the home owners in the area rent their homes out. Ever since I found stokes about 4 years ago I haven’t went anywhere else. I truly can’t say enough good things about stokes. I generally stay at steammill, definitely check out the map and look at the location of each site. I definitely suggest staying in the outside of the circle the sites are bigger but tbh even when there’s people around it’s still an incredibly Peaceful place. Even to go there just for a hike is worth every second. Pictures posted are of both the site and the woods surrounding the site.

A beautiful piece of paradise close to home.

Stokes has a little bit of everything. It’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to. Each section that you hike through is like a fairy tale. It truly is such an amazing place. The people that live there are amazing I meet a new person every time I go, and the other campers are always incredibly respectful. Highly suggest that people go here.

Behins this particular site there is a beautiful creek that runs through most of the woods. It’s just such a serene place.

Stokes!

Stokes is the classic state forest camping, I’ve staying on group sites which are large and lots of fun to bring friends and family. Plenty of room to play games, volleyball, kickball, football are some we enjoy. Great hiking within the park and other local trails close by. Fresh drinking water! It’s so good! Bathrooms and property are clean, Rangers don’t tend to bother visitors, unless causing a issue/ruckus. The park has a no alcohol policy, however if your responsible and out of sight with it, it’s not an issue. Always a fun time at Stokes, lake with fishing, smaller sites and lean-toos are available.

Crowded campground

My husband and I like to be it in the middle of no where. We have done backpacking trips in the past but this was he first REAL camping trip with our 2 year old and we felt like we had to keep him quiet, for the sake of others. It was a beautiful area, lots of things to do for the kids… we strayed away from the crowded areas and explored on our own.

Serene w/some ok trails, fire pits, lean to's & cabins but not much to do.

Open most of year. Fun if u lik3 camping.

SO SO

HAS SHOWERS … OPEN FIELDS … NOT MUCH TO DO

early spring weekend in the cabin area

very quite park this time of year. cabins very well maintained. this particular cabin was very isolated and had a nice stream running by it. Sleep 8 guys for the weekend. No heat was needed.

Amazingly clear water

Clear streams and lake. Stunning overall. Lake Ocquittunk campground had showers, flush toilets and was popular with families.

Did a small part of the Appalachian trail while there (about 15 miles). Would love to go back when I'm in better shape and try the whole trail.

Camping by the river

We stayed on a beautiful mossy bank, next to a river and a lake. The area was quiet and peaceful, and areas with waterfalls and great views were easily accessable.