Liberty, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Liberty Camping Reviews
Online Reservation 2 hrs Before Arrival

Didn’t make it to our destination so had to improvise. This place allowed me to make an online reservation and complete check in the next morning. For $30 (roughly) we had access to a bathroom and a great clean camp site.

Edit to add: if there is a chance you will stay at another state park within a year get the adventure pass for $105. It comes with 3 free nights. I spent $62 on another camp site the next day.

Beautiful Toccoa Falls

This park is only available to Toccoa Falls College Alumni & parents of current Toccoa Falls College students.  But it's great!  =)

Great primitive camp

Great hunting fishing and camping. Outhouse is the only thing that is there for use. Anything else you must supply yourself. I go every year for bear season and will continue to do so.

Camp next to the river

Lovely campsite. Some space between you and your neighbors, but not the most private camp I’ve been at. About half the sites are along the river and the others are just a short distance away, so you can still hear the river. We were there in mid November and it was full. It was also cold, so people ran their generators all night long, which obscured the sound of the river. During the day, the camp was quiet and gorgeous.

Just A Good Campground

This campground won’t blow you away or anything but it’s a good campground that you’ll enjoy. Nice wooded coverage, walking and hiking trails, plus a few lakes to fish. Bath houses are probably the cleanest I’ve seen in all the campgrounds I’ve been too. The only reason I wouldn’t give it 5 stars is because the sites are pretty close to each other and you can hear aircraft traffic from the airport close by. I recommend sites 22,23,25 if you are tent camping.

Fall Wonderland

The scenery of campsite was beautiful and from our campsite the bathroom was very accessible. The bathroom itself was clean and even had heaters in it due to the low temperatures overnight. It was a nice surprise that the bathroom area also had washer/dryers for those staying for a bit longer but unfortunately didn’t have a spot for one to wash their dishes. Each campsite really had a nice view but because this camping area was in the mountains the sites seemed stacked on top of each other and didn’t really give you much privacy. There was a small lookout accessible a short walk from the campground which overlooked the mountains and gave you an amazing view but beyond that the rest of the trails were not accessible on foot and required a short drive.

Popular But Fun

I've been camping at Burrells Ford since I was a small child. During peak season (summer, Spring Break) it will be slightly crowded, but there's usually still room to camp and it doesn't normally get rowdy or loud. Fishing will of course be inhibited when it's crowded, but otherwise its a good spot to fish.

Pit toilets are fairly well maintained and the sites are almost always clean and free of debris. Camp sites are a short walk down a clear road from the main parking area for those who prefer to carry things in or those who have visitors to their campsite.

If there has been a lot of camper traffic, it will be difficult to find firewood. Firewood is available to purchase all along the road on the way to Burrells Ford from individuals and stores.

The other side of the river is a much rougher trail, not an official campsite at all. However, there are some areas that other campers have cleared out for camping if you don't mind a more strenuous and brushy hike in to your camping area and you prefer a little more privacy and seclusion. Just be sure to follow local regulations for camping in these areas as far as cleanliness, fire safety, and distance from the water.

Perfect for families

Access to the campground is a narrow partially-paved but well-maintained single lane road with only one area to pull over, so be careful when entering and exiting because if you meet another vehicle one of you will be backing back the way you came!

The campground is very clean and well-maintained, with every site having its own fire ring, lantern pole, and at least one picnic table. Trash bins are located near the pit toilets (one at the entrance to the campground and one across the creek deeper in.

Past about site 15 the road gets slightly rougher and you will need a vehicle that can cross the creek.

All in all, the campground is perfect for family camping or for anyone who wants to enjoy the outdoors without needing to backpack supplies in. Only a short drive from Clayton, GA if supplies are needed.

Nice park

Cabins are great. Camp sites are a bit crowded, but a nice, well kept park.

Nice site

Nice campground. Clean bathhouse. Sites are close together, but terraced off because it’s very steep terrain. Friendly hosts.

Woodall, wildlife, and whitewater

Primitive camping. One portapotty at the parking lot. Numerous paths to hike down to the wild and scenic Chattooga River. No RV sites or dump sites. Multiple campsites surrounding the parking lot, and no camping/fires within 10[?] feet of the river itself. It is regularly checked by forest service, they'll give you a friendly reminder, usually. Lots of rafting/kayaking, fishing, hiking, swimming. Check local laws for fishing and boating permits. Beautiful, wooded camping; easy gravel road in. No trash bins, take it in, take it out.

We love this campground

Wonderful campground, campground host are very helpful, they ask you about what you are looking for and help you pick out your campsite, family owned, took my girlfriend there to get engaged, we are now married and can't wait to go back. One of the owners rides a motorcycle, and is also very helpful with directions for nice rides in the mountains

Mountain Bike Heaven

This campground is perfect if your looking to bike/hike/trail run. There are various trails you can access from the site. Grounds are well maintained. Sites are small but spaced out. Very quiet. Restrooms were clean and showers were hot. Close proximity to downtown Asheville if you’re looking for something to do in the evening or if you want a good meal. I will certainly return to this campground.

Awesome time

Had a awesome time. Great view of the lake and nice big campsite. Cant wait to go back.

Peaceful

Close to Caesars Head and Table Rock. Full hookups, and the staff helps you back in and level up. Great service. Short drive to grocery and fresh produce stands.

Im home.

Love this place. Next to the lake. Quite, friendly clean. Good bathroom.

A water lovers dream

This lake was beautiful. Great views of lake and mountains. The water was warm in October. Site #27 was good. Some sites were unlevel and on a steep grade and close with minimal greenery between. The walk-in tent sites were excellent. All sites had table, fire ring, lantern hook, and a gravel tent pad in addition to paved site. Most of the sites were shaded. Bathrooms were good with a big laundry area. There weren't really any paths to bathroom so it would be difficult in the dark if you were further away. We took a waterfall boat tour which was excellent. There are several paths to get to lake from different spots in campground. Which are like a private beach area. This park/campground is very busy on weekends but Sunday night it emptied out. Bring your boat, floats, kayaks, canoes. There is not much in area outside park. There was a Dollar General store within 15 minutes. The park store was well stocked with many items. Park staff were not that friendly. There are several boat ramps in park. Divers also use this lake since the lake is clear.

Probably the coolest place to camp in South Carolina.

Book your trip a few months in advance, get a spot on the water. Sites are a little small, and close together, but the sunrise from your tent/site is totally worth it. Amazing water clarity, bring a kayak. If you enjoy fishing there’s great trout.

Very nice

We have been a few times and really like it. The staff are very friendly. The bath houses and park are always really clean.

Love Watsadler!

First time here, and we loved it! There was direct lake access from our campsite which was amazing. It is in a cove so it was quiet with hardly any lake traffic. Has 2 playgrounds & bath houses. 10/10 will come again!

Served us well

Got there in time to catch a first come first served rv site and glad we did! Nice big site. Helpful staff. Great location. Explored Asheville but would like to check out the area more next time like the trails and such.

In the hills

I visited Moonshine Creek Campground with a group of friends. There had been mudslides over the winter so there were renovations going on. The sites are close together BUT so skillfully incorporated into the architecture that you really don’t notice. Cute cabins to rent and secluded tent sites, all with a stream running through the middle of the campground. My site was right next to the stream and little covered bridge. It sounded like it was always raining. We used the pavilion for get togethers, it has a nice kitchen area with a grill. Right outside the pavilion is a pit campfire for groups. There are cabins and sites up along the hillside which have a view and a little more privacy. Town is close by and window shopping is a must. There are several hiking opportunities in the area.

Quad Overload of Steps

I'll admit that I'm not in my best shape ever but also know it's not my worst shape, this was full leg workout for 4 miles up as well as 4 miles back down. I highly recommend in the warmer months you get on the trail as early as possible. It opens at 7am. Bring plenty of water. The views along the way are beautiful and when you get to the top at the main overlook is fabulous too. I say the main overlook as there are a couple spots like right at Governors Rock is deep into the trail…but not the main view.

Lodge and Restaurant with new campsites

We discovered Riverbend Lodge through AirBnB while looking for a new place to camp.  We had been to a number of larger campgrounds this year, and wanted to find a spot where we weren't competing with dozens - or hundreds - of other campers for a good site.  Someplace with some privacy and quiet.  Riverbend Lodge fit the bill.

Riverbend Lodge is a unique mix of lodge, restaurant, bar, and campsites.  The owners are working on renovating the lodge and restaurant, and they have cleared some spots on the Middle Fork French Broad River to accommodate campers.  They have tent sites right on the river (more of a creek, great small falls and peaceful sounds).  We have a jeep with a rooftop tent, and the site we had was spacious and felt secluded.  There was a firepit at the site, and a trash can.  The owners live in an RV on-site, and said that they have a second site that has power and water hook-ups for a pop-up or RV.  Most of the sites are primitive.  There are picnic tables at a couple of areas on the property, but our site did not have a table.

There is a bathroom for campers with a flush toilet, sink, and tub/shower.  They also have a hot tub and sauna, and the use is included in the camping fee - a real bargain!  Both looked new and were immaculately maintained.

We did not view the lodge rooms for rent.  We did enjoy the restaurant the night we got there, the food was very good and reasonably priced for what we got.  We also had breakfast the last morning there, it is only served on weekends but it is only $10 for all you care to eat, and it is served to you - not buffet style.  The staff were friendly and provided good service.  The owners are a young couple, working hard to improve the lodge and offer a great experience.  We will definitely return to Riverbend Lodge.

This is definitely a happy place

I will be the first to admit that I was apprehensive about booking. I had been scouring the internet for reviews, and this place had been recommended to me on a Facebook group. Most of the negative reviews were either old (seemingly old management) or and what seemed to be one off guests, most of whom seem to have their own individual, underlying issues. I decided as a decider, I would call in and see what kind of vibe I got. After all, I’m responsible for booking our first ever family road trip. Luckily, I called in and got Tori on the phone. She was clearly doing something else when she answered, but once she realized I was looking into visiting, she dropped everything and made me feel like I was booking a room in her house. She was interested in my family breakdown so she could help find the perfect spot… and she did a damn good job.

We were only there one night, and she put us in B14. It was right across from the camp host, so firewood was easy to come by. It was also directly across from the bathhouse. We had a 30 amp in our 30’ rental RV, but luckily we had a adapter. The place was empty as it is mid week in off season, which was perfect. While I loved the place, I’m not sure I would have the same experience over 50/75% occupancy. It was great to throw the raft in the river and let the kids enjoy themselves without worry. The river wasn’t very deep, and even provided some small rock slides. The playground was about 5 sites down and also perfect to let the kids run to.

We wish we could have stayed longer, but we will be back. If not this week, on our next trip to the mountains. The hospitality of Tori and This true hidden gem are a family memory we will have forever.

Beautiful Campground

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday in one of the camping cabins. We will definitely be back now that we have our A-frame camper. The campground is beautiful with a mountain stream flowing through the entire campground. Immaculate bathhouses and wonderful owners. Great store onsite and lots to do in the surrounding area.

More than you think

This area is near the riding stables in Pisgah. There are several tent spaces that you can drive right up to. The river is within walking distance. Didn't see any areas deep enough for swimming though. There are several hiking trails for hikers as well as mountain bikers riding up the mountain. There is a gate that gets closed off during winter months that continues up the mountain to more campsites. The spots further up are more private. Some you need to take a short hike to. There isn't any amenities up past the gate. There is an area that has three spots near each other. One is designated for camping with a gravel pad. Three other two near it are a short hike. There is a community water source beyond the three sites that you can get water to take back to your site if needed. It's a small trickle waterfall in the edge of the mountain. There's a bit of a bank to climb down to it though. If you choose to get to it's ledge it's a great place to clean up/shower.

Great family camping

If you have a boat or jetski there is a ramp. Has showers and restrooms. Mostly for RVs however there are a few tent sites that have tree cover. The RV sites don't really offer any trees for shade. The lake is great for swimming. The campground also offers paddle board and kayak rentals. The campground has a gate that gets locked at 10 pm. You can leave but you can't come back into the campground after the gate gets locked.