The best WALK IN camping near
Clever , MISSOURI

Most Recent Clever Camping Reviews
Easy fun hike through the Ozarks

This was my family’s inaugural backpacking adventure so it was short but fun! The hiking trail is roughly six miles from start to finish which was perfect for my 7 and 10 year olds who are growing more accustomed to carrying a pack. There are three primitive camp sites on the back side of the trail near the homestead and one on the water just before the trail turns to climb up the hillside.

I recommend hiking the trail backwards of the guide maps so that you finish with the lake view instead of start with it.

The Spot!

Words really can't describe.

But here we go….

Hidden Gem of the Ozarks

Definitely one of the most peaceful and tranquil campsites I ever stayed. Great place for families too. Access to Table Rock, Game Room, Pool and Jacuzzi. Small cabins and A-frames to rent. They have it all. This is my getaway!

Great Corps of Engineers campground

Nestled on one of the best lakes in Missouri is this clean, family campground. Fairly level sites with quite a few lake sites. Nice boat ramp and swim area. Clean shower houses well located around the camping areas. Only complaint I could find with this location is trying to book an open spot and no full hook up. Loved this camp ground and will come back again.

A quiet weekend

After camping each month through the summer, it was a pleasant change for the temperature to dip for our two nigh visit to Lake Leatherwood City Park. We had booked one of the site in what is known as Shady Grove, which is down on the edge of the lake. We kayak and it was a pleasant surprise to find only three powered boats on the lake throughout the weekend. You can rent canoes, paddle boards and paddle boats on an hourly rate if you haven’t brought your own. The campsite was built in the 1940s and still has that old feel to it. It’s basic but efficient and clean. The host is friendly and helpful. After camping in COE campgrounds and state parks, this is a nice quiet campground. There are numerous bike and hiking trails and a shuttle service for the downhill riders. This is definitely a campground we will visit again.

So many great memories!

This was my 4 year old son’s FIRST camping trip. And it rained like CRAZZZYYYYY. But man we had fun! My wife is 29 weeks pregnant and she came too! Between fishing and canoeing and swimming and our hike… wow! The Carrick Creek loop was a little harder than anticipated… or it could just be that I’m out of shape. Either way. We can’t wait to get back out in the woods soon!

Great place with great folks!

I've been coming out here for a couple of years now, and its always a great time. You'll run into the occasional hippy or two, but that just adds to the fun!

Nice area

Nice place to walk in the woods, camping by permit, short drive from Springfield, high traffic

Best campground around!

Words can’t describe! Peaceful and quite. Easy access to the lake and ONLY place our family camps!