Mark Twain Lake, MISSOURI
Most Recent Mark Twain Lake Camping Reviews
Very nice

We stayed in a 20 ft. Trailer. To reach the camping area you travel about 3 miles down a gravel road. We saw deer, racoons and rabbits. We heard turkey and coyote. The area can accommodate about 6 campers there is also a place for tents. There is a pit toilet but no other amenities. There are several small lakes-ponds to fish in.

Quiet

Nice quiet CG. Small lake and good fishing

Nice little place

Nice quite campground. Very clean and park hosts are great! Wonderful trails and streams throughput the park.

Nice little state park close to civilization

A rainy weekend didn't deter campers from spending the holiday weekend here at Finger Lakes State Park. I was lucky enough to get a site for a single night when rain was in the forecast. The campground is laid out in a series of small loops, with some loops in open grassy areas and others tucked into the trees. I had my pick between a site in either situation and so I picked the trees to get some shade. Sites are fairly close together, so you will get to know your neighbors. There is one nice and modern bathhouse with showers on one side and bathrooms on the other. It was very clean and well maintained, and they are in the process of putting in an additional concrete walkway. Over in the grassy loop there was an additional basic bathroom.

There is lots to do in this park if you are into canoeing/kayaking or ORVing as there are several marked trails for both. If you are a hiker, welllllll, not as much available here. There is a nice mountain biking and hiking trail, but you can still hear all of the ORV's running the many trails specific to ORVing. There is also a Motocross track with nice stands if you like to watch. Canoes and kayaks are available for rent (stop by and see the rangers near the entrance) and there are a couple of marked trails to take you from lake to lake.

Ranger Review Grubstick at Slate and Wild Roses Campground

Campground Review: I used the Reservation System on TheDyrt.com to secure a night here during the holiday weekend when may other campgrounds were booked solid. I had no problems using the system and was pleased to know I had a spot on one of the busiest weekends in May. The campground hosts, Brian and Kristina were awesome. I emailed them to give an arrival time and ended up having a phone conversation to get specific directions and info. They couldn't have been more helpful or nice. They were on site when I arrived and spent time showing me the property and possible campsites. Due to recent rains and expected heavy rains, I picked a site along the tree line on top of an open hilltop. They brought me a huge fire pit as well as dry wood and pointed out where I could find even more wood if I needed it. As the evening wore on I heard barred owls and coyotes, as well as the nearby cows. The fireflies came out at dark and gave me an impressive show. Because this is true dispersed camping currently, you can set up camp anywhere on the property. Just know that rain will affect your ability to navigate the farm road which is gravel to a point and then a dirt two track that disappears and reappears in between the wild roses and grasses. If you are familiar with "gumbo" dirt, you will understand that it will be tricky to bring anything but four wheel drive if it might rain. We had some crazy hard rain overnight and Brian and Kristina thoughtfully checked in via phone in the morning. There is lots to explore on the property and nearby: there are 80 wild acres of treed and logged land to bushwhack and explore that eventually will have some trails to hike, including a pretty creek to dip your toes in. Nearby are state parks, conservation areas, and national forests. Brian and Kristina are working on developing relationships with nearby outfitters for floating, canoeing, and kayaking on local rivers as well.

Product Review: From time to time I get to test out new products as a Dyrt Ranger. This trip I got to test out Grub Stick's Deluxe Kit https://grubstick.com. After this trip I can confidently say I have a new cooking tool to keep in my camp kitchen. The telescoping handle works great with all of the attachments, easily screwing in and staying secure while cooking (even while turning to cook various items over the fire). I used the Grub Forks to cook Italian sausages and the Grub Cage to cook veggies for dinner as well as the forks for cooking bacon for breakfast. I liked how the bacon grease dripped off the forks right into the fire, reducing cleanup. I also used the GrubTube to bake crescent rolls over the fire for breakfast. I was concerned the bread wouldn't cook all the way through, but everything cooked completely and without me needing to char the outside to get results. The Grub Stick tools cleaned up easily with the help of the Release Tool, and having the silicone trivet was handy when the telescoping stick was still hot from the fire. The Deluxe kit comes in a sturdy carrying bag that easily fits in my camp kitchen tote.

Steez

Shit was dank kid.

Nice little place

Great place

Great place to go right off the highway

It’s a campground sorta

More like a parking lot in the middle of an atv/gun range park.

Lakes are awesome water accessible in multiple areas. Campsites are close and used primarily by off road enthusiast. Loud and constant coming and going. Groups get wild at night.

Great for kayaking and fishing.

Great weekend primal campground

Had a blast here. Lots of hiking and amazing trails.

Very much a mosquito paradise. Visitor center was antiquated but informative.

Lots of driveable attractions nearby we visited while buying more repellant.

Great weekend retreat

Nice quiet relaxing. Owners very helpful and friendly

Free camping and boats. Fish Hatchery, Lake.

Another cool find in Missouri. Lake in Conservation Area. Doesn't offer much but it was a bit out of the way. Campground was free. Sites are close together. Some spots more shaded than others. They had rowboats and canoes you could paddle around in. You just needed your own life jacket. The boats were free. There was a shelter with picnic tables by the lake. I like hiking and wished there was a trail that went all around the lake but was only able to go a partial, short way. Still a nice place to stay. Quiet. Looked like there was a ranger station there and fish hatchery but it was closed the two days we were there. So I don't know what all was in the building. Clean pit toilets. Lots of ducks on the lake.

25+ years of memories here

I've come here every year since I was a toddler with family, and continue to enjoy it. Great for families as there are a couple fun playgrounds and always kids and adults alike enjoying bikerides and walks through the campground and along the trails, some of which offer lake access with beautiful views and good fossil hunting along the shores of Mark Twain Lake.. The sites are roomy and well maintained, and the bathrooms are clean and well kept. It is however a popular spot and fills up quick on weekends!

Nice family fun but pricey.

Great for a family with kids of all ages. The activities are not all day, so plan on some campside entertainment before 10am and after 6pm. Lake blow ups are included in price, but you must have a life vest. Bring your own to save money. Very clean and there is always a campground employee around if you need help. Well worth it if you plan ahead for the extra fees.

Quite and easy

Easy hike up to the cave and very clean and peaceful sites. The family has been going for years

Magical, private, peaceful!

There is something really magical about the campground we stayed at in Mark Twain! The designated spots feel secluded since they are bordered by forest. We got a spot right off the water and woke up to the sound of it in the morning. The hiking trails near by are also really beautiful and right along the river. Definitely recommend!

Secluded sites, clean showers.

Great beach and marina. Mark Twain Lake is beautiful. Lots of hiking trails and greenery between campsites. Many established trees. Ticks galore so prepare for that. 1-2 bars with ATT throughout park.

great camping site

wonderful 5 day stay. nice spacious sites. 6 lakes with swimming and fishing. boat docks, and boat rentals and great hiking trails.

Quiet empty campground

Very nice campground with good shower facilities. We had the campground to our selves, only one other camper in the campground on a Friday night.

Greaf lake, hikes, and overall adventure!

Had numerous interconnected hiking trails that follow the lakes in the area. They often have kayaks available and occasionally have paddle board classes there through the local YMCA. Campground has hook up and concrete spots, but lacks shade and feel of a campground. Limited space!

Great place in the spring through fall!

I love this camground! They have great hikes throughout the area. You can rent kayaks, canoes, and boats and fish in many locations. Great for horse back riders too!

Quiet and small

A quaint little campground on a beautiful creek. Well manicured grounds with restrooms and showers. Owners can be a bit nosey. Quiet time begins at 10pm, unless the owners want to drink with you.

Awesome campground

This campground has it's own beach that you can only get to by boat or if your camping in the campground. Felt more private that way. This campground has a lot of road to bike on if you like to ride your bike.

Awesome camground!

This campground is big. It is clean and well maintained.

Clean and quiet

The sites are well spaced and clean. Our site was pretty unlevel and it took some work and levelers to get it straight. We rode around the campgrounds on our bikes and most of the other sites seemed level and more even. The bonus to our site was there are no sites directly adjacent so it is probably one of the quite spots. The restrooms and showers are very clean and well maintained. We met both hosts and they were friendly and accommodating. The closest store for provisions is about 15 miles away, but ice and firewood is available on site from both hosts. Overall, we are happy with the site and would stay here again.

On the Mighty Mississippi River

I tried to camp here, but it was closed temporarily due to high water on the Mississippi River. In fact, part of the the campground road was under water. However, I was able to check it out and talk with a city worker who was mowing the empty campground. This is a primarily RV campground next to the Mighty Mississippi, with all spots having nice gravel parking pads, hookups, and great views of the river. The worker told me that tents are welcome, but not what they usually have show up. There is no dump station. Bathrooms were porta-potties (it wasn’t clear if this was the permanent bathroom situation because of the river flood potential or temporary), and there were no showers. There was a nice playground in the middle of the campground. Just up the road a short walk is the lock and dam that you can visit with interpretive signs and nice benches to sit on while you watch the barges go through the locks.

Large family fun campground with a little bit for everyone

Boulder Lake is the larger of the two campgrounds here at Wakonda State Park. It is also crowded with RV and campers in the main part of the campground, with a small loop that is sort of tent only. The tent part is a loop with sites in the middle (37-50) having the best trees for hammocks and the sites on the outside of the loop having the most level places for pitching a tent. If you can get site 44, you have probably the best site in the campground as it sits at the end of the loop with no close neighbors, close to the lake, and backs to nice trees. None of the other sites are as private. This site is the furthest from the bathrooms and shower house, however. You can purchase ice and wood, and there are laundry facilities. All of this is located near the shower house. There are a couple of water spikots scattered around the campgrounds, and there is one hiking trail that heads out of the campground near the woodlot. Elsewhere in the park is a nice swimming beach with a place to shower off the sand, and some interesting cement tunnels/bunkers that kids might have fun exploring.

Wow!

Plenty of space. Warm, clear, fresh water to swim in. Full of crystals and wildlife. We will be going back.

Renamed to Hanson Hill Campground

Great site that had lots of trees, perfect for hammocks. Beautiful views and nice amenities at a good price.