The best camping in
Missouri

Camping Missouri

A hefty sum of forty-one state parks with more than 3,600 campsites makes camping in Missouri a breeze to plan and enjoy. Long known as “The Cave State,” Missouri has nearly 6,400 historic caves to offer the archeologists at heart. And with abundant shoreline space, water activities are surprisingly easy to find at Missouri campsites. So round up the crew and grab your gear – it’s time to make memories camping in Missouri!

Thanks to the Lake of the Ozarks, the state has over 1,150 miles of shoreline, making camping in Missouri a must for water lovers. Experience the Ozarks’ breathtaking outdoors in the beautiful Ozark Mountains at one of Elk River’s three campgrounds, which offer rafting, canoeing, camping and angling.

Looking for a little history lesson along with your camping adventure? Look no further than Missouri’s intricate cave scene. Meramec Caverns located in the Ozarks is a 4.5-mile cave system that has existed for the past 400 million years. Meramec Caverns is just one hour from the heart of St. Louis, and offers lodging, camping, and canoeing in addition to guided tours of the cave.

The quaint and historic Graham Cave State Park is just over an hour west of St. Louis, and offers a walk through ancient history along with year-round camping availability, five hiking trails, and over 386 scenic acres to explore. Take a trip down literature lane and visit the famous Mark Twain Cave near Hannibal, MO. Mark Twain, a Hannibal native himself, incorporates the maze-like cave in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Cave-lovers can also descend into the Onondaga Cave State Park to view towering stalagmites, stalactites, and active flowstones.

Get away and explore Missouri’s scenic shoreline spots and cave wonders. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Missouri along the way.

Recent Reviews in Missouri
Table Rock Lake - Port of Kimberling Marina and Resort

Excellent camping facilities. (Tent, RV and Cabin)

Ranger Review: Midland Radio XT511 GMRS Base Camp Radio at Red Bluff Camp

Campground Review:

We camped at Red Bluff at the beginning of the off season, so it was a lot quieter than I bet it can be in full swing. As everyone else will tell you, the sites on the bluff provide a fantastic view! Right now there are about 5 sites up there, but they are under construction for what appears to be adding an additional loop with a view and I heard rumor of electricity being added up there too. Because we wanted air conditioning, we opted for the lower sites near the river. We camped at site# 28 and it was just right. We were not on the river but close enough to hear it. With the camper parked to the left, we could not really see or hear the neighbors from that direction well. To the right we had a large and long site with a tree line and hill between us and the neighbors. We could see them through the trees but it was not like we were “hanging out together” close at all. Sites 27 and 28 faced the woods so another angle where you felt secluded. A few sites down was a little spot that you could walk right down into the water. It was a tad too cold for us but the heat of the day made us really want to wade in. It was crystal clear and you could see a gravel bar not far from there. I believe in another area of the grounds you can walk out onto one. They do have double sites, some of which were huge! The fire pit we had was awesome, it had a ring that lifted up or down onto a raised concrete circle and had a grill that you could turn out and away if not in use. We are actually going to look for a ring like that for our home. This site also had what we were calling a cooking station. It was a tall covered set of shelves. We put our cook stove on it. The site also had a lantern holder which we used to tie up the dog when we needed to too. While there were flood level signs everywhere and you coud see where flash floods had happened on the lowest level of camp, our site was high enough to not need to worry. One day while we were there we went to Dillard’s Mill- a nearby park with an old water powered grain mill on site. It was peaceful and pretty, no swimming there anymore though. Lots of picnic areas. There is no ATV use on the camp grounds, so we went up to an area of the forest that you can ride in. It was not far from camp. The camp host was very friendly. The only thing that could have made this ground better was a dump station. Maybe that is in the plan with the construction too. I was hesitant to try here at first because of all the raccoon complaints but we did not see even one the entire time. So don’t let those comments deter you! All in all a great site and we will be back with the kids, maybe hit the bluff next time.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometimes we get products to test from their partners. This radio is a fun and handy addition to our now growing Midland collection. It does ALL the things. We liked and utilized the NOAA Weather Alert Radio to help us to decide when was a good time to take our ATV’s for a ride through the National Forest. We used the AM/FM radio at the site for some tunes around the fire and the flashlight to take the dog for a nightly walk. The handle and shoulder strap made it easy to carry. Since we are new ATV owners, we were especially looking to test the range for this radio (because separation and possible emergencies seem inevitable lol). My brother in law lives near the campground so we set him up on his porch with the base camp and headed away to the ATV trails at the National Forest entrance. Every so often we would stop and check in “breaker niner niner…John can you hear me?” Sure enough, clear as day we got back a “YUP that’s an affirmative over”. So we got to the end of our trail, which we had mapped as 1.5ish miles as the crow flies and home could hear us, we got a response, then we spoke again and no response back (though he was trying). Occasionally in our trek the responses from home were a tad crackly but we still clearly got what was being said. There were so many features on this thing that we were not able to test them all in our weekend getaway, but I would recommend it if you have multiple radios from Midland in use. It has 5 ways to charge it, one being hand crank so it can be used in an emergency and a USB connector to recharge your phone with. My husband was excited about the eVox Hands free operation option. This will be great for camping and emergencies! We give it 5/5 stars for our needs.

Swanky

Water and electric at every site. Really nice bathrooms with recycle bins. Totally lanscaped.

Camp,cave,and winery!

Clean hot showers, nuff said.

Small but very nice snack shop that serves cold and hot sandwiches. They will deliver your meal to the winery, nice touch. The winery also had live music hat wasn’t loud and shut down early. The grounds is only 2 miles outside of Hannibal and is walkable if fit. My buddy and I walked in but took Uber back.

Nice place.

Great relaxing creek

Put a tent up less than 30 yards from this spring feed creek. Sat with the cold water rushing over my feet. Enjoying he evening fog rolling in. The general store on site had everything you needed to make your stay comfortable. Beer! Showers were kick ass. So much water pressure and Hot. Will definitely stay here again.

Nice campground, bit overpriced

Nice clean campground. We were in off season with pool being closed etc… thought prices were too high for not having any amenities. One bath house was very dirty. I told front desk and they said well it’s going to close soon for the winter. I still think they should keep it cleaned until it’s closed. We did like the nice rv sites though.

Held our family reunions here for many years!

Beautiful view of the lake! The spill way is great to walk around and fish from! Fishing here is great! There are several play areas for the kids to enjoy!

Awesome swim beach!

Our kids had a lot of fun swimming here! The fishing was also excellent! Very easy to drive to and plenty of parking! Definitely recommend and would stay here again!

Stayed for many reasons!

The campground buses you to and from the theme park, so you don’t have to worry about parking and the long walk to and from the park! The swimming pool and recreational areas were a plus too! The cabins were very nice to stay in also! Our family had a lot of fun here for many years!

Great place to swim and fish!

The family had a lot of fun! We kayaked around the lake and had a blast!

Great views of the lake!

Beautiful place to stay!

Great place to swim!

Stores nearby to shop! Great fishing!

Nice and Quiet

My wife and I camped here two weeks ago and this place is pretty nice. The campground nice and clean with full hook ups at campsite, other campers were friendly, and the camp hosts were very nice and friendly.

Best kept secret

If you don’t know anything about this place, I would recommend it! The sites are level and clean, and the lady who checked me in was very nice and accommodating. You are a stones throw away from Katy trail which will take you to downtown St. Charles. The trail is about 1.5-2 miles to get to downtown. You can bike or walk there. You are on the final approach for the airport, so I’ll could be a lil noisy for some. The only bad thing which isn’t the campgrounds fault, is you can’t have a camp fire due to the city ordinances. But if that’s the worst….I’ll take it. Wish I had taken pictures of the campground but there was so much to do in St. Charles that I forgot to take them.

Great park

Stayed here for one night we toured the cave which was great. The park is very well kept and nice clean facilities. We tent camped and every spot had a good place to set up a tent.

A plesent RV camp but not tents allowed

Noesho's Hickory Creek RV park is a nice park with mowed grass everywhere, gravel roads and grass sites.  The site are only $12 per night.  But be warned….No tent camping is allowed and you need to go to city hall to pay your camping fee as the campground does not have a place to self register, so if you plan on staying here you will need to get to city hall before they close for the day, and they are only open from Monday - Friday.  Site use to allow tents, but does not now, most likely due to the fact that their are no restroom facilities at this campground.  All the sites come with water and electric hook ups, and their is a RV dump.  Train tracks adjoining the park and these are busy tracks with trains running day and night.  Two sides of the park have a street and a highway alongside, but traffic is slow so it seems to be fairly quiet.  The campground is part of a much larger city park.  Part of the frisbee golf course runs around the camping area, and across the road is a nice bike path.  Hickory creek runs along the edge of the park and has good fishing.  Sites do not have picnic tables but their are a few in the park witch you can use.  No campfires.

No longer a camping area - come to fish

While this little park in Lanagan use to allow camping (picture of a tent & RV are still on the sign) this is no longer the case.  The site is now a day use area only.  The camping area is overgrown and in disrepair.  The frequent flooding of Indian Creek most likely didn't help things.  The park is now mainly just a fishing access site for Indian Creek.  Noticed a group of kids heading to the park with fishing poles in hand, so the fishing must be decent.  The Park has a small shelter, but is with out picnic tables.  Site has a vault toilet, but it was locked during my visit.  A small playground is available.

Very nice place!

Very clean, great restrooms, clean. Has laundry room. Nice level sites.

Will go back !

This was our first time family camping….. with 10 people! Unable to reserve an electric site because the place was packed! Our basic family site was spacious and near the river. All of us ( ages 1-40) enjoyed fishing and playing in the river by Campground 3 and exploring the trails and dry creek bed by Campground 1. The bathrooms and shower house at Campground 3 were completely decent, and are tidied up through out the day. The office staff are helpful and friendly, and the store is full of necessities, snacks, fishing gear, etc. You can even rent fishing poles by the day.

Will go back !

Ideal

Great place for camping and fishing, the lodge has great food if you don't feel like cooking

Great Camping and a Cave or Two

Wonderful state park with paved roads and level concrete pads. We were nestled up against a beautiful creek. Could barely keep the dogs out of it. Nice,clean bathrooms. Nice play area for kids. We hiked one of the many hiking trail available. Tours are offered throughout the day in the two onsite caves. They were amazing. Natalie was our Gide and really knew her stuff! Park also offer kayaking, swimming, rafting and just a whole bunch of fun. There was a large camp of boys scouts and several other tent camping. Would recommend this park everyone. 10 out of 10!

A great time!

My family had a blast on a short weekend trip. The staff shuttled our three kayaks back to our campsite after we floated all day, which was nice. No complaints. Would recommend staying here.

Easy access

I have to preface my review by saying that this isn’t my kind of campground. I like trees and nature around. This park had very little of that. It seems to be new, and there are trees planted, but it will be awhile before they provide any shade. I stopped here because it was the closest location to an RV repair shop that I unfortunately needed to visit on my way to Chicago.

On the plus side, because it’s new the restrooms/showers were very clean and modern. The site I was in had full hook ups. The water pressure was so strong that I could barely open the water pump!

I think the best thing this campground has going for it is it’s location. Proximity to historic St. Charles and the bike trail.

The park host mentioned that the rates would be going up for next season.

A resort of a COE park!

Mill Creek is like a resort! There’s sand volleyball, a basketball court, a beach with a designated swim area and, thoughtfully, life jackets were available to borrow.

Most of the sites are lakeside. I snagged Site 12 which was perfect for me! However, there are several stairs down from the paved pad to the picnic area, so be aware if you have little ones or mobility issues. As others have mentioned the sites have picnic benches a fire ring and a lantern pole. Hooks up were easy and close. I especially liked the water hook up because it had the traditional valve handle and not the pump handle. It’s the little things.

The bathrooms were spotless and looked newly remodeled. One of them was also accessible.The drive to the campground might be tricky for larger rigs as there is a sharp curve and steep grade coming into the park.

This park was quiet, clean and offered a night sky that provided a shooting star!! I would love to come back here again!

Excellent camp site!

Plenty of space at the campsites! We enjoyed 2 nites at the tent sites with electric hookups. Great spot on the niangua river with easy access to the river which was a nice place to relax after fishing over at Bennett all day (which is conveniently right across the street!)

Fun times right close to home

I've been out hiking here several times. It is always busy and being busy, it is loud, if you're looking for a quiet hike. That said, loads of nice scenery, a creek, and always something new to be found.

My absolute favorite place close to home.

This campground is pretty stripped down. There are vault toilets and that's it for amenities. However, it is also one of my favorites close to home to hike. The campsites are always clean, but you almost always find litter in the fire rings. You have to gather your own wood or bring approved stuff in, but it is perfect for a quick overnight trip.

Always a good time

This is one of my favorite places to fish and picnic that is close to home. It is quiet and always clean. The camp sites are well kept and the shower/bathroom facilities are always clean. Worst part is that many of the dirt bike/ATV guys riding the trails out there are obnoxious with their bikes.

Great weekend

Love this campground but site 202 not a great site for a camper. Not the easiest site to level a camper. What a great weekend fishing and camping though.