The best camping in
Missouri

Camping Missouri

A hefty sum of forty-one state parks with more than 3,600 campsites makes camping in Missouri a breeze to plan and enjoy. Long known as “The Cave State,” Missouri has nearly 6,400 historic caves to offer the archeologists at heart. And with abundant shoreline space, water activities are surprisingly easy to find at Missouri campsites. So round up the crew and grab your gear – it’s time to make memories camping in Missouri!

Thanks to the Lake of the Ozarks, the state has over 1,150 miles of shoreline, making camping in Missouri a must for water lovers. Experience the Ozarks’ breathtaking outdoors in the beautiful Ozark Mountains at one of Elk River’s three campgrounds, which offer rafting, canoeing, camping and angling.

Looking for a little history lesson along with your camping adventure? Look no further than Missouri’s intricate cave scene. Meramec Caverns located in the Ozarks is a 4.5-mile cave system that has existed for the past 400 million years. Meramec Caverns is just one hour from the heart of St. Louis, and offers lodging, camping, and canoeing in addition to guided tours of the cave.

The quaint and historic Graham Cave State Park is just over an hour west of St. Louis, and offers a walk through ancient history along with year-round camping availability, five hiking trails, and over 386 scenic acres to explore. Take a trip down literature lane and visit the famous Mark Twain Cave near Hannibal, MO. Mark Twain, a Hannibal native himself, incorporates the maze-like cave in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Cave-lovers can also descend into the Onondaga Cave State Park to view towering stalagmites, stalactites, and active flowstones.

Get away and explore Missouri’s scenic shoreline spots and cave wonders. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Missouri along the way.

Recent Reviews in Missouri
Nice and clean

The concrete slab was large enough for our camper and rug along with the picnic table! A lot of room! The BBQ was nice and the fire pit had a built on grill as well. Our pad was close to the lake so a two minute walk and we’re fishing!

Nice private park

This park is privately owned. It has a very nice in ground pool along with a storm shelter which gives piece of mind in crazy Missouri weather. Shade seems to be scarce at a lot of the sites (all are full hook up I believe). They have what seems to be quite a few full time campers living here. Hard to get through on phone lines to book and no online booking options but overall a very clean campground with friendly owners.

A really nice campground

This is a really nice campground. Even when it’s a busy summer weekend, I don’t feel crowded or like it’s an inappropriate place for children. Their float operation is great too!

Great hot weather campground

The countless caves and great water feature make this the perfect campground for those sweltering July and August campouts. Clean and well managed bath houses. Campsites are large.

Great Overnight Campsite

Stayed here for one night after driving down from Nebraska. Great place to set up for the night, clean bathrooms, a nice fire pit, and plenty of room to set up a tarp for the rain. Not too much privacy as there’s not very many trees around and the sites are close together but otherwise a great campground!

Clean woodsy Rv Park

We stopped for 1 night on the way to Wyoming it is way off the beaten path but what a nice campground. The owners were selling it when we were there they had it a long time. The Pool was so cool & refreshing & no one was there. There's nothing around there so come prepared. There are rolling hills, narrow road and paved.

We almost had the place to ourselves so quiet & well maintained.

FEATURES AND SERVICES: Large, Clean Sites Full Hookups Pull-thrus and Back-ins 20, 30, and 50 AMP Mostly Shaded Picnic Tables Tent Sites 17 Sites & a Library.

Clean Restrooms Laundry Modem Hookup and Fax Service In Ground Pool Playground Shuffleboard and Horseshoes Catch and Release Pond Fishing Animal Friendly People Friendly Recreation Hall Recreation Room.

Small and tight and dated but functional for an overnight stay

Again, we stayed 1 night between COVID-19 quarantine locations.  The sites were very small and close.  Our site was not very level.  Hookups were fine and worked well.  It appeared that most of the occupants were full time.  I would only stay here for a night as there appeared to be little nearby except the Stadium and the park was not very attractive.  Price was reasonable - $35/night.

Nicely spaced and clean campground

We stayed at this campground 1 night on our way between COVID-19 quarantine locations.  We found the park easy to navigate (no tight turns).  Large semi paved spaces (I say semi paved because the concrete pads were crumbling at least in our spot).  Good separation between sites with picnic tables, no shade but they do have a dog park.  Hookups were easy to reach and appeared to be in good repair.  Decent water pressure.  Many of the spaces were permanent campers or long term workers but it felt safe and appeared well maintained.

What a Fun Weekend

We stayed at the Big Spring Campground for a quick weekend away. Only 2.5 hr drive for us. The Big Spring is really an impressive sight.

The NPS Staff was very friendly and did not mind all my questions about the park or spring or wildlife. They had a presentation in the Amphitheater while we were there but missed it cause the kids were just enjoying running around so much.

Short hikes on some maintained sand trails from the campgrounds to the river. I regretted not bringing my water shoes for the river, rock bottom.

The whole place looked well maintained, some of the back campsites possibly under renovation. We were in the 400 loop and they had new fire rings with gravel pads around them installed recently.

Plenty of deadfall to collect for firewood which was great since you cannot bring in your own firewood.

Makes It Fun To Stay...

ABC really is as easy as 1-2-3 when it comes to camping here.   They literally have everything waiting on you when you arrive and you can just jump right into camping in comfort with so many amenities it will leave your head spinning!!!  LOVE THIS for a fun mid priced retreat!!

When I visited the heat of summer had just kicked in and the pool was looking so inviting.   I quickly set up my tent and took a refreshing dip, something I don't often do when I get to camp as I always want to be moving around and doing things to get out exploring.

From there I was straight to a shower and took a nice refreshing shower in the amazing pressure with the perfect temperature water, there is no better feeling that than after a busy day of traveling!!

The evening was filled with activities at camp itself, a horseshoe tournament with other guests was occurring and I was asked to join in, a great sense of travel community.

Returning to my site I was able to use the WIFI which is provided to all guests upon registration and get a little work done while making dinner in my site.   The site was well shaded and had a lot of comfort to beat that last little bit of heat.

I didn't take advantage fully of all the amenities traveling solo but they do have a ticket concierge service which is pretty nice for those wanting to take in a show or activity and they also have satellite TV for RV customers on site.   Additionally they have a car and RV wash which I thought was a great bonus and usually I do not find unless I am near a beach or in a state which often has large volumes of snow.