The best camping in
Missouri

Camping Missouri

A hefty sum of forty-one state parks with more than 3,600 campsites makes camping in Missouri a breeze to plan and enjoy. Long known as “The Cave State,” Missouri has nearly 6,400 historic caves to offer the archeologists at heart. And with abundant shoreline space, water activities are surprisingly easy to find at Missouri campsites. So round up the crew and grab your gear – it’s time to make memories camping in Missouri!

Thanks to the Lake of the Ozarks, the state has over 1,150 miles of shoreline, making camping in Missouri a must for water lovers. Experience the Ozarks’ breathtaking outdoors in the beautiful Ozark Mountains at one of Elk River’s three campgrounds, which offer rafting, canoeing, camping and angling.

Looking for a little history lesson along with your camping adventure? Look no further than Missouri’s intricate cave scene. Meramec Caverns located in the Ozarks is a 4.5-mile cave system that has existed for the past 400 million years. Meramec Caverns is just one hour from the heart of St. Louis, and offers lodging, camping, and canoeing in addition to guided tours of the cave.

The quaint and historic Graham Cave State Park is just over an hour west of St. Louis, and offers a walk through ancient history along with year-round camping availability, five hiking trails, and over 386 scenic acres to explore. Take a trip down literature lane and visit the famous Mark Twain Cave near Hannibal, MO. Mark Twain, a Hannibal native himself, incorporates the maze-like cave in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Cave-lovers can also descend into the Onondaga Cave State Park to view towering stalagmites, stalactites, and active flowstones.

Get away and explore Missouri’s scenic shoreline spots and cave wonders. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Missouri along the way.

Recent Reviews in Missouri
AWESOME

VERY clean, Easy access, fair price for the propane they sell, VERY nice managers and very helpful!

Nice little park

I staying for two weeks in the off season. So the park is very quiet with lots of trees for the camping feel. It picks ups on Friday and slows back down by Monday. It wasn’t until the Friday crowd showed up that I realized how tight the spaces are. While the spaces a bit tight had no issue navigating the paved roads in the park in 36’ motor home. The is a ranger station on the grounds which is nice as lots of staff present to ensure park works like it should. There is a nice play ground on site with a full size basketball court. Plenty of hiking trails and couple of little lakes for fishing of just a pick if by the water.

Mixed feelings

The camping area is nice, most things are well maintained and staff was really nice. Think if we visited during summer our experience would have been better.

We stayed in October and due to unseasonably cold weather they shut off water with no notice and halfway through our stay. Ended up leaving early since we had no water and also no sewer at site.

Good campground

Clean decent campground with full hookups. They do have quite a few rules and sites are very close together but all in all good place to stay while passing through.

Have laundry facilities, a dog run,  bathrooms and access to dumpster.

Clean campground

We enjoyed camping here. If you have dirt bikes or 4 wheelers, bring them! We didn’t bring ours here this last time we camped and we still had fun! They have a pump track that our four boys loved! Lots of ramps, hills, and a teeter totter to ride across. The campsites are nice and some of them are really close together. So if you want more privacy and don’t want to be close to your neighbors make sure you pick one that is more spacious. Our boys are already talking about coming back here again :)

No camping

I don’t believe there is any public or private business campsites here. There are homes along the “trails”.

Clean, quiet and convenient

I don’t normally stay in these types of campgrounds, but this was a pleasant overnight stay and reasonably priced for full hookups at $35. Plus they have propane for sale and a little store on site. The campground is open year round and there looks to be some year round residents, but it’s a clean, well tended campground and the care the owners give it is apparent.

The camp hosts were efficient and helpful. I was led directly to the site and was literally guided in by one camp host. Another sent me a welcome message via a camping group to which I belong. Nice touches.

The campground sits on a hill so the sites are terraced and there are mature trees everywhere. The trash bins were located up the hill from my site. Not a problem for me to access, but someone with mobility issues might find the location less than ideal. Perhaps you could drive to them. I found the campground roads navigable but narrow, and they appeared to be one way, but I didn’t see markings. So it could be confusing to figure out how to drive there.

My site was gravel, fairly level and the hook ups were conveniently located and in great condition. Some of the sites are spaced apart rather tightly. They each come with a picnic bench. There are larger sites and pull thru sites available too.

The highlight for me is the convenient location of this campground as a layover on the way to another destination. That being said, Poplar Bluff looked like it would be an interesting little town to visit at some point and perhaps Camelot would serve as a good jumping off point for this and other points of interest in the area as well. I wish the checkout was at noon instead of 11 am, but that’s just my personal preference.

I would stay here again.

Great Location

We stayed at the #2 campground this past weekend. We really enjoyed our stay! Close to the local college where our daughter attends. The camp sites are spacious and you are not sitting on top of each other. The bathrooms could have been cleaner. Probably due for a remodel. That was the only negative.

Specia Use Site

We utilized the special use area of the campground for our Cub Scout family camp, but visited the main loop during our trip.

Best campground hosts we ever encountered! Knowledgeable and friendly. The park has a pool, river access, canoe & kayak rentals and miles of great trails. Great program for kids on staying out of they get lost presented by hosts. This is a great park for organized groups, with lots to do!

Shower house was clean and convenient. Hands down one of Missouri’s best!

Tip- check out the petroglyph site.

Tucked away, easy river access

RV spots are pretty close together, but nicely shaded. Group tenting sites lack water and bathroom facilities, but make up for it in proximity crystal clear river water. Perfect for floating, fishing and swimming!

Simply Stunning

If you are looking for a beautiful RV or tent site on the water, look here. There is a massive lake, perfect for a quiet day on the water. We kayaked out to an island and did some fishing. We didn’t catch anything, but it was relaxing. Campground was oddly quiet, especially after dark… we were the only site with a fire going.

Hiking, biking and equestrian trails. Boat and jet ski rentals in season.

Great small park

Nice small park. Beautiful trout fishery and streams. Easy stroll. Very well-kept.

Wonderful fall camping!

Had an excellent time camping in October. Even though it rained, the scenery was wonderful and the campground was well maintained. I will definitely be going back again!

Lake views

Spot 114. Electric 30/50. Community water 1 site over. Very tight - we’re in a pop-up and took some maneuvering but we got it in there. Pray your neighbors are quiet because we were close enough to hear ours snoring. Picnic table and fire ring. Site has access to paved walking trail around lake. Views of the marina. Restrooms just a short walk. We’ll definitely be back but better spots to be had. Bring your own firewood.

BEAUTIFUL!

The campground was spacious and quiet. Just a short walk to the river and stunning views. Beautiful hiking trails as well. The campground hosts were very friendly and took good care of all the campsites.

Beautiful spot , amazing camp host

Only in for a night but so enjoyed the quiet, beautiful walk, nice beach at the shore of gorgeous lake and along with firewood, ice, and a variety of camping options, there is a very nice bathhouse. The only concern is that the asphalt pads need repair/replacing- steep, broken edges in spots.

Clean Campground & Very Nice Owners!

The campground was a bit small, but very nice and clean. We fit our 42’ fifth wheel there though, so most would be fine! The owners & camp hosts were absolutely great! The campground could use some work, but the owners told us they just bought it and are gradually fixing it up… The location is perfect, just minutes away from Fort Leonard Wood or St. Robert, MO, off exit 153 on I44! Also only a little over an hour from Springfield, MO… Would definitely recommend and stay again if ever back in the area!

Very nice & clean!

Stayed here passing through on the way home, but was very nice… The site was flat and suitable for our 42’ Montana Fifth Wheel. Would definitely recommend and stay again if ever back in the area!

Great little campground

Right off I-44 in Missouri and only 10 minutes from Fort Leonard Wood. Convenient to Waynesville and St. Robert.

Owners are very helpful and informative. Remember to stop by the office and check out a movie on a rainy day!

Beautiful scenery

Quite and peaceful very nice camp sites.

Table Rock Lake - Port of Kimberling Marina and Resort

Excellent camping facilities. (Tent, RV and Cabin)

Ranger Review: Midland Radio XT511 GMRS Base Camp Radio at Red Bluff Camp

Campground Review:

We camped at Red Bluff at the beginning of the off season, so it was a lot quieter than I bet it can be in full swing. As everyone else will tell you, the sites on the bluff provide a fantastic view! Right now there are about 5 sites up there, but they are under construction for what appears to be adding an additional loop with a view and I heard rumor of electricity being added up there too. Because we wanted air conditioning, we opted for the lower sites near the river. We camped at site# 28 and it was just right. We were not on the river but close enough to hear it. With the camper parked to the left, we could not really see or hear the neighbors from that direction well. To the right we had a large and long site with a tree line and hill between us and the neighbors. We could see them through the trees but it was not like we were “hanging out together” close at all. Sites 27 and 28 faced the woods so another angle where you felt secluded. A few sites down was a little spot that you could walk right down into the water. It was a tad too cold for us but the heat of the day made us really want to wade in. It was crystal clear and you could see a gravel bar not far from there. I believe in another area of the grounds you can walk out onto one. They do have double sites, some of which were huge! The fire pit we had was awesome, it had a ring that lifted up or down onto a raised concrete circle and had a grill that you could turn out and away if not in use. We are actually going to look for a ring like that for our home. This site also had what we were calling a cooking station. It was a tall covered set of shelves. We put our cook stove on it. The site also had a lantern holder which we used to tie up the dog when we needed to too. While there were flood level signs everywhere and you coud see where flash floods had happened on the lowest level of camp, our site was high enough to not need to worry. One day while we were there we went to Dillard’s Mill- a nearby park with an old water powered grain mill on site. It was peaceful and pretty, no swimming there anymore though. Lots of picnic areas. There is no ATV use on the camp grounds, so we went up to an area of the forest that you can ride in. It was not far from camp. The camp host was very friendly. The only thing that could have made this ground better was a dump station. Maybe that is in the plan with the construction too. I was hesitant to try here at first because of all the raccoon complaints but we did not see even one the entire time. So don’t let those comments deter you! All in all a great site and we will be back with the kids, maybe hit the bluff next time.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometimes we get products to test from their partners. This radio is a fun and handy addition to our now growing Midland collection. It does ALL the things. We liked and utilized the NOAA Weather Alert Radio to help us to decide when was a good time to take our ATV’s for a ride through the National Forest. We used the AM/FM radio at the site for some tunes around the fire and the flashlight to take the dog for a nightly walk. The handle and shoulder strap made it easy to carry. Since we are new ATV owners, we were especially looking to test the range for this radio (because separation and possible emergencies seem inevitable lol). My brother in law lives near the campground so we set him up on his porch with the base camp and headed away to the ATV trails at the National Forest entrance. Every so often we would stop and check in “breaker niner niner…John can you hear me?” Sure enough, clear as day we got back a “YUP that’s an affirmative over”. So we got to the end of our trail, which we had mapped as 1.5ish miles as the crow flies and home could hear us, we got a response, then we spoke again and no response back (though he was trying). Occasionally in our trek the responses from home were a tad crackly but we still clearly got what was being said. There were so many features on this thing that we were not able to test them all in our weekend getaway, but I would recommend it if you have multiple radios from Midland in use. It has 5 ways to charge it, one being hand crank so it can be used in an emergency and a USB connector to recharge your phone with. My husband was excited about the eVox Hands free operation option. This will be great for camping and emergencies! We give it 5/5 stars for our needs.

Swanky

Water and electric at every site. Really nice bathrooms with recycle bins. Totally lanscaped.

Camp,cave,and winery!

Clean hot showers, nuff said.

Small but very nice snack shop that serves cold and hot sandwiches. They will deliver your meal to the winery, nice touch. The winery also had live music hat wasn’t loud and shut down early. The grounds is only 2 miles outside of Hannibal and is walkable if fit. My buddy and I walked in but took Uber back.

Nice place.

Great relaxing creek

Put a tent up less than 30 yards from this spring feed creek. Sat with the cold water rushing over my feet. Enjoying he evening fog rolling in. The general store on site had everything you needed to make your stay comfortable. Beer! Showers were kick ass. So much water pressure and Hot. Will definitely stay here again.

Nice campground, bit overpriced

Nice clean campground. We were in off season with pool being closed etc… thought prices were too high for not having any amenities. One bath house was very dirty. I told front desk and they said well it’s going to close soon for the winter. I still think they should keep it cleaned until it’s closed. We did like the nice rv sites though.

Held our family reunions here for many years!

Beautiful view of the lake! The spill way is great to walk around and fish from! Fishing here is great! There are several play areas for the kids to enjoy!

Awesome swim beach!

Our kids had a lot of fun swimming here! The fishing was also excellent! Very easy to drive to and plenty of parking! Definitely recommend and would stay here again!