Columbia, MISSOURI

Most Recent Columbia Camping Reviews
Clean campground

We enjoyed camping here. If you have dirt bikes or 4 wheelers, bring them! We didn’t bring ours here this last time we camped and we still had fun! They have a pump track that our four boys loved! Lots of ramps, hills, and a teeter totter to ride across. The campsites are nice and some of them are really close together. So if you want more privacy and don’t want to be close to your neighbors make sure you pick one that is more spacious. Our boys are already talking about coming back here again :)

Very nice place!

Very clean, great restrooms, clean. Has laundry room. Nice level sites.

Fun times right close to home

I've been out hiking here several times. It is always busy and being busy, it is loud, if you're looking for a quiet hike. That said, loads of nice scenery, a creek, and always something new to be found.

My absolute favorite place close to home.

This campground is pretty stripped down. There are vault toilets and that's it for amenities. However, it is also one of my favorites close to home to hike. The campsites are always clean, but you almost always find litter in the fire rings. You have to gather your own wood or bring approved stuff in, but it is perfect for a quick overnight trip.

Always a good time

This is one of my favorite places to fish and picnic that is close to home. It is quiet and always clean. The camp sites are well kept and the shower/bathroom facilities are always clean. Worst part is that many of the dirt bike/ATV guys riding the trails out there are obnoxious with their bikes.

Needs to shut down and investigated for all the cover up murders

Son was murdered , it was covered up as an alleged drowning . Haven't , yet to receive Reports from Missouri State Highway Patrol on son's death . Ralls County Sheriff Department wouldn't let me file a police report or neglect charges on my son behalf  , due to death from Michelle Fierge and her children , when I have messages and voice recordings that they killed my son in the woods of Mark Twain Lake , then threw him in the Lake .

Not bad.

Decent lake close to Jefferson City. I probably wouldn't travel far just to go there but if you live close it is not to bad. It has 18 full RV hookup sites and a disc golf course.

Very Nice

Nice, Quiet full hookup campground and very secluded tent sites. Love this place!

Prettiest sunset on the Missouri River

Super friendly people. They had gotten flooded out two weeks before I got there so there were a few things being rebuilt. They still offered everything they could to me including an indoor shower and bathrooms. A perfect spot if you want to escape road noise and light pollution and be lulled to sleep by the noise of the river not but eight feet away.

Full hookups but sketchy

Clean grounds, close to a conservation boat ramp and again full hookups. That’s about where it ends.

Most sites appear to be year-round Occupied. Fifth wheels with buried to sewer lines And people riding their lawn mowers outside their campers.

All things being equal it seems like more of a trailer park with a few camping vacancies.

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Master Cook Station at Mark Twain State Park

Campground Review:

Mark Twain state Park is an absolute blast. approximately 30 minutes from Hannibal MO this park sits on Mark Twain Lake. Several hiking trails in the area will get you in touch with nature and an abundance of deer. Large playgrounds in the camping area's as well as visitor center areas. All loops in this park have electric and basic sites. No water hookups aside from host sites. Best part is all shower houses fairly new. We never located any vault toilets but found all three loops had their own shower house.

Park has a boat ramp with ample parking and if you have better luck than I did a fish cleaning station. While having a boat ramp close may be a deterrent it was rare to have much boat noise with the tall trees surrounding these large private sites.

We stayed in site 76 in puma loop which was a sloping site but it was massive. The lots on either side of ours were similar in layout but much more level. 76 also has a path to the waterfront which we utilized daily.

It rained on us for most of our stay we found Mark twain state park to be well worth the trip.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the GCI Outdoors Master Cook Station.

While looking at GCIOutdoors.com for the right item for my family to try out we were amazed at the function of their site.  We were able to compare multiple items flawlessly and despite  much debate locate an item we believed may reduce our overall need to pack everything including the kitchen sink. The cook station didn't immediately jump off the page for my wife. She had her heart set on a new rocker chair of which GCI Outdoors has an amazing selection. However, I was able to win her over after pointing out the endless options the Master Cook Station (AKA My Kitchen) Offers.

My Kitchen provides functionality as a table, a cook top, a drying rack, food storage, and does so taking up the same amount of space as a folding chair. Our first night in camp the dreaded dinner bell began ringing and my loving wife walked over to our new kitchen. After cooking, plating, and eating from this beast she looked at me and said, "Never again will I doubt your decision making about anything." (or at least thats how I remember it.) She actual was really impressed how this cook station had taking the stress out of meal time. With a built in sink we were able to cook, eat, and clean from a singular location and when done we could either fold it up and tuck it away or use it for evening activities.

As a pop up camper space is always limited and at a premium. The GCI Outdoor Master Cook Station not only met our expectations it surpassed them. This swiss army table will be a must have among all of our friends and the high quality of this product tells me that we will get to show it off for quite some time.

Great little retreat

Have stayed here several times nice little place new owners have made a lot of improvements has inground pool small fishing pond play area for kids fence dog area nice walking trails will definitely stay there again

Cozy little park

Nice campgrounds clean and well kept. Camp hosts are exceptionally nice and courteous. Easy access from major highway. Have stayed here several times in the past 10 years

Very nice

We stayed in a 20 ft. Trailer. To reach the camping area you travel about 3 miles down a gravel road. We saw deer, racoons and rabbits. We heard turkey and coyote. The area can accommodate about 6 campers there is also a place for tents. There is a pit toilet but no other amenities. There are several small lakes-ponds to fish in.

Nice little place

Nice quite campground. Very clean and park hosts are great! Wonderful trails and streams throughput the park.

A hidden gem tucked away in rural Cole County

First off there is camping here!!!! This Missouri Conservation area is a Swiss Army knife of rugged of the path camping. Rivers, Lakes, Gun range, Horses and hiking can all be enjoyed here. First come first serve basic camp area on the river. It has 1 fire ring in a gravel turnaround. Don’t let this fool you. This area has an abundance of wildlife equestrian trails and hiking. Getting too hot paddle on the lake located on the left Forck after entering. The area has a handgun, and rifle range with vault toilets. The pictures speak for themselves. Love this spot and will be planning another trip soon.

Oh No Private Property

Great place but this is private propert not a camping area. I spoke with the owner and he is fine with people fishing / swimming but no camping here. This is a low water crossing with manicured gravel bar and obvious signs of people using this as a hangout. Alas no joy and no camping.

Great Campground awesome water

17 Full service sites. A very clean facility with full plumbing. Sites are a little small and back up to a fairly busy road but no real issue here.

A full disc golf course nearby and several ball fields. We love this park.

The lake offers amazing fishing wether from boat or shore. Lots of bass crappie and catfish. Lake has a motor restriction and a bait shop. Lots of fun places to paddle and only a short drive to town. Several fishing dock open for public use. There is also a wetland bird watching area below the lake.

This park has everything you’d expect from a major state park and is a hidden gem in central Missouri.

Nice little state park close to civilization

A rainy weekend didn't deter campers from spending the holiday weekend here at Finger Lakes State Park. I was lucky enough to get a site for a single night when rain was in the forecast. The campground is laid out in a series of small loops, with some loops in open grassy areas and others tucked into the trees. I had my pick between a site in either situation and so I picked the trees to get some shade. Sites are fairly close together, so you will get to know your neighbors. There is one nice and modern bathhouse with showers on one side and bathrooms on the other. It was very clean and well maintained, and they are in the process of putting in an additional concrete walkway. Over in the grassy loop there was an additional basic bathroom.

There is lots to do in this park if you are into canoeing/kayaking or ORVing as there are several marked trails for both. If you are a hiker, welllllll, not as much available here. There is a nice mountain biking and hiking trail, but you can still hear all of the ORV's running the many trails specific to ORVing. There is also a Motocross track with nice stands if you like to watch. Canoes and kayaks are available for rent (stop by and see the rangers near the entrance) and there are a couple of marked trails to take you from lake to lake.

Ranger Review Grubstick at Slate and Wild Roses Campground

Campground Review: I used the Reservation System on TheDyrt.com to secure a night here during the holiday weekend when may other campgrounds were booked solid. I had no problems using the system and was pleased to know I had a spot on one of the busiest weekends in May. The campground hosts, Brian and Kristina were awesome. I emailed them to give an arrival time and ended up having a phone conversation to get specific directions and info. They couldn't have been more helpful or nice. They were on site when I arrived and spent time showing me the property and possible campsites. Due to recent rains and expected heavy rains, I picked a site along the tree line on top of an open hilltop. They brought me a huge fire pit as well as dry wood and pointed out where I could find even more wood if I needed it. As the evening wore on I heard barred owls and coyotes, as well as the nearby cows. The fireflies came out at dark and gave me an impressive show. Because this is true dispersed camping currently, you can set up camp anywhere on the property. Just know that rain will affect your ability to navigate the farm road which is gravel to a point and then a dirt two track that disappears and reappears in between the wild roses and grasses. If you are familiar with "gumbo" dirt, you will understand that it will be tricky to bring anything but four wheel drive if it might rain. We had some crazy hard rain overnight and Brian and Kristina thoughtfully checked in via phone in the morning. There is lots to explore on the property and nearby: there are 80 wild acres of treed and logged land to bushwhack and explore that eventually will have some trails to hike, including a pretty creek to dip your toes in. Nearby are state parks, conservation areas, and national forests. Brian and Kristina are working on developing relationships with nearby outfitters for floating, canoeing, and kayaking on local rivers as well.

Product Review: From time to time I get to test out new products as a Dyrt Ranger. This trip I got to test out Grub Stick's Deluxe Kit https://grubstick.com. After this trip I can confidently say I have a new cooking tool to keep in my camp kitchen. The telescoping handle works great with all of the attachments, easily screwing in and staying secure while cooking (even while turning to cook various items over the fire). I used the Grub Forks to cook Italian sausages and the Grub Cage to cook veggies for dinner as well as the forks for cooking bacon for breakfast. I liked how the bacon grease dripped off the forks right into the fire, reducing cleanup. I also used the GrubTube to bake crescent rolls over the fire for breakfast. I was concerned the bread wouldn't cook all the way through, but everything cooked completely and without me needing to char the outside to get results. The Grub Stick tools cleaned up easily with the help of the Release Tool, and having the silicone trivet was handy when the telescoping stick was still hot from the fire. The Deluxe kit comes in a sturdy carrying bag that easily fits in my camp kitchen tote.

Steez

Shit was dank kid.

Nice little place

It’s a campground sorta

More like a parking lot in the middle of an atv/gun range park.

Lakes are awesome water accessible in multiple areas. Campsites are close and used primarily by off road enthusiast. Loud and constant coming and going. Groups get wild at night.

Great for kayaking and fishing.

Great dry dock area

Wonderful open areas for camping. Fire pits aplenty. Great hiking trails to meadows and forest. Several sites all first come first serve. No power and vault toilets. Donation camping so late night arrivals can get scetchy.

Close to historic town of Arrow Rock

The campground is neat and tidy and well maintained. The main appeal is the nearby town of Arrow Rock with its many historic buildings and an excellent interpretation center. Great for a pleasant cycle in the evening or a stroll after a bottle of wine.

Great weekend retreat

Nice quiet relaxing. Owners very helpful and friendly

Close to history

We arrived mid week in October without reservations. The campground host was SO helpful in steering us in the right direction both in terms of the campground and there is a Basic loop separate from those with electricity - not very used in October mid week. Bathrooms were centrally located in the campground. The campground is within an easy 1/2 mile of the historic town of Arrow Rock and also a slightly longer hike through woods and leaves and into the Wildlife Refuge to the Missouri River and a landing site. Lewis and Clark and the Santa Fe Trail play into this history here so that's pretty cool too. The Visitor Center at the State Park is really good and tells the story of the area well.

Great free camping

Might not have showers but is a nice free campground. It’s pet friendly and you are not on top of your neighbors. Definitely going to come back here.

Quite and easy

Easy hike up to the cave and very clean and peaceful sites. The family has been going for years