Harry S. Truman Lake, MISSOURI
Most Recent Harry S. Truman Lake Camping Reviews
Excellent Spot

I really enjoyed my first trip here. I had never even heard of this lake. The grounds are nice and clean. The restrooms and showers are decent for a public area. The shop on the marina is not over priced like you would think. The staff are really nice. We do wish there were more instructions in the confirmation email on the check in process and specifically where to go when first arriving at the camp. There are pontoons, kayaks and canoes for rent at the marina. There is also a swim beach nearby.

Loved this place

We stayed At loop 300, 317 which is a family site. Daughter and her family joined us with a tent and we had our 31 ft 5th wheel. The only negative is there is electric only, no water. But there was a hydrant across the street that allowed us to fill our tank! Even though it was cold, the wind blew and it rained our second night, we had a great time. Woke up after the rain to find everyone in the camper!! Haha. Will definitely stay here again!!!!

Friendly,fun!

Located in Warsaw Mo is a great place to camp. THE LAST RESORT. In Warsaw MO. friendly owner are more than welcoming. Ice cream shop and large pool on site. Great fishing. Clean shower house with full hookups for the camper. Tent sites available.

Ranger Review: Icemule Pro X-Large 33L Cooler at Pittsburg State Park

Campground Review:

We stayed at this beautiful Missouri State Park on memorial weekend in 2019. This park is park of Pomme De Terre lake and 1 of 2 state parks on the lake, Pittsburgh and Hermitage. There are several local private campgrounds in the area but non match what you'll find at these two campgrounds. Pittsburgh is described as the more secluded of the two and thats just the way we like it.

We arrived to find that the normal lake level had risen from 830 ft to 860+. needless to say almost all lakeside camground were closed. We arrived at our site and identified that we had 13 inches until our site was to be claimed by the lake. The campground hosts actually informed us that over half of their sites were flooded or in immediate danger of flooding. They were able to offer us a different site as most people apparently decided to no show. We were relocated to site 323 in the Pittsburgh campground. A side note that almost every loop in this campground had empty sites and all those who were displaced were able to be relocated in the park at NO ADDITIONAL FEE for upgraded sites.

Site 323 was simply amazing. A level concrete pad with enough wooded area around to fully eliminate view of neighbors on either side. We camp out of a 95 Coleman Pop up so it was perfect for us. It is on a significant slope so tent camping would be hard. This site is walking distance to vault toilets, and clean water. After an impromptu wiffleball game broke out with the multiple campers across from us we decided to explore the campground.

Loop 100 is tightly packed RV sites with no real privacy but all your creature comforts . Loop 200 is electric sites well spaced with lake access to most. This appeared to be the most tent and camper friendly loop.  Both 100 and 200 loops are close to shower house and main playground.

Loop 300 is electric with most sites of the lake side coming with elevated gravel pads for grilling and watching the water. Most sites are on decent grades so the state park pics on their site would be a good idea to look at.

Loop 400 is the basic loop and from what I could tell stays fairly level with large grassy areas to tent in.

All loops have a vault toilet placed evenly on the loop and access to water from a spigot. They all utilize the same road in and the same plumbed bathroom / showerhouse. To my surprise these were all very clean and stayed that way all weekend.

There is only 1 trail for hiking and at 3 miles is worth the trip. It goes out to a point overlooking all of the park and most of Pomme De Terre Lake. We got to see this but in a little different way than planned. Due to flooding the trail was almost completely underwater.

A small marina with rentals and fishing docks is just across the street. They serve normal pub food and were very happy to serve. Lines there can be long as it is also a very busy boat ramp.

The state park has its own swimming beach and due to flooding it was closed. So instead we utilized the parking lot, Playground, and Pavilion as a launch point for our kayaking adventures. All in all this trip went from possible disaster to an amazing adventure on the water. The lake is very clear and paddling through the tree tops normally 20 feet off the ground was surreal. Pittsburgh won us over with customer service and a unique experience we will all remember.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I sometimes get to test and evaluate quality products from amazing sponsors today I am submitting a review of my new Icemule Pro X-Large Cooler.https://icemulecoolers.com/collections/pro-coolers/products/the-icemule-pro-x-large

So as I said before I didnt get to hike with this bad boy but it did spend everyday as our family take and use cooler.

First and foremost I have to say upon receiving this thing I was shocked at the size. It is definitely extra large. My 7 year old would not be packing this thing around but Icemule has several size options so no real issue there. I chose the xl specifically to use while kayaking on this trip. I would be providing food and drink for up to 8 separate people and would be on the water for  long periods of time. I currently own a Yeti and Wally World Rotomold but cant use them due to their size on our boat.  Well this is where it gets good. I loaded all three coolers and set out with my Icemule in tow. I left the two hard coolers with family at the pavilion. Similar contents and each cooler received 1 bag of ice in the morning. The Icemule stood stride for stride with the yeti in fact I will attach photos to prove it.  The Icemule form fit itself into the storage space on my kayak and at the end of the day had just a little ice left. The Yeti had a little more ice but nothing significant. I will also note that the Icemule was in the open sun on the back of a kayak in 90 degree temps. I was ecstatic with the result. This thing is amazing.

Now for the nitty gritty. My Icemule comes in several colors. I chose black as it matched my yak LOL. I can say the 24 can capacity is definitely modest but I wouldn't recommend exceeding it by much as all that weight adds up. Not heeding my own advice I topped this thing off and really put it and my back through the ringer. All the stitching and seam weld held up very well. Not a single issue even when over loaded. All clips and straps are high quality and very durable.

All in all I made room for 6 different coolers in my garage as they will all be resting comfortably there. The Icemule is now our families go to for all our cooler needs.

Beautiful and a fun time

Camping

Great place, beautiful sights along the lake. Highly recommend

Nice campground and beach!

We had a very nice time here. Everything was very clean. We camped on top of a hill from the lake in an RV site and with being completely surrounded by neighbors, we had enough space not to feel crowded. You could not easily hear your neighbors conversations. We almost stayed an extra night and had we not booked somewhere else ahead of time we would have! Nice spot.

Good for families

The campground is setup in 2 loops, non electric and electric, so if your a tent camper your not surrounded by noisy air conditioners running. Although the nicer facilities and playground are situated on the electric side. The camp doesn't have a swim beach, but there are some shoreline areas you can swim. The sites are all fairly decent and shady and not too bunches together.

Good secluded campground

Most of the sites are fairly private, the facilities are nice and clean, great playground. The swimming area is a little small but still a good area. It also has a Marina with a small store with hand dipped ice cream

Great campground

This campground is very wide open and great for family camping, the main facilities are clean and showers are private. It has a camp store, playground and a great swim beach with places to fish from the shore. The campground is perfect for bike riding as well.

Great campground

The facilities are nice and clean, it has a playground and a great swim beach and lots of shoreline in case the beach is full. The sites are well maintained, some electric sites are a little close together, but your camper should block the neighbors. It's within 5 miles of a dollar general and gas station and a bowling alley that has great pizza, in case you don't feel like cooking. We love site 75 and 68 with lakefront access and privacy

Great fishing and great campsites!

This has become our favorite family campground. The sites on the lake are awesome and large. The showers are clean and private. Fishing is great! My kids love it too!

Very nice

This campground is very nice, it has a nice restroom and shower facility and nice campsites. It also has a campsite that accommodates handicap. It also includes a playground and is within driving distance(10-15 minutes) from the lake 10/10 would recommend.

Pittsburgh Loop

Scenic Views overlooking the beautiful lake. Each site in the electric loop has a private path to the waters edge. Sites viewable by map next to water. There were a few bugs but nothing too bad. Amazing trip and we will return for sure. Only on real hiking trail on Pittsburgh loop but it was filled with bluff views and lots of wildlife as well as a public beach.

Easy access state park

We camped April 1. They are just now opening bathrooms and showers. Only one currently open. Mostly vacant. Only 3 sites taken. Sites are mostly level, gravel, well spaced.Lots of trees. Nice hiking and biking trails. Lake with summer kayaking. Playground, basketball court. Firepit, table, electric. Water nearby. Nice nature center.

Primitive Camping

This is primitive type camping only thing available is outdoor restrooms. It butts up to the lake. Has great scenic views. Open to others to come and swim. Great for fishing. Also is a boat launch area.

Great for off-season roughing it.

My family has been camping here in October- after winterization, thus no water- for decades. In season, there are nearby showers and running water. Sites are large and heavily shaded. The sandy swim beach is clean and fun, even off-season. Lots of places to hike and fish. Great place for boating. The bathrooms are generally kept clean. I have little experience here during season, but highly recommend it if you are looking for a quiet place to camp off-season… unless you come the same weekend as my large family. :)

Great State Park

Great weekend getaway spot. Electric only sites.

Good weekend getaway spot

This is a ACE campground with mostly 30Amp Electric only hookups. There is one loop with 50Amp sites but they reserve quickly. Day use of the boat launch is included.

Clean, good shade, lakeview sites

They have electric only sites and primitive.  Shower house is always clean and well maintained.  They recently have replaced all wood picnic tables with aluminum and are working on redoing all the restrooms.   We love camping here.

Great! Bathrooms need some help

We stayed at the Hermitage campground at Pomme de Terre last weekend. Easy check in and easy to navigate around the campground. Our only complaint was the vault bathrooms and the showers. It could have just been the end of the month, but the vault bathrooms were unbelievably smelly. I have a hard stomach, but that was a little much. The showers had mold on the walls, not ideal. I understand it is camping and we’re roughing it a little, but compared to others, these were not ideal.

Great boating location (site H412) and views of sunsets!

Beautiful views!

We camped on the bluff loop and had amazing veiws of the lake! Large sites too. There is also a loop called the point which looked like it also had great views but campsites were closer together. Not terrible, but less seclusion. Water & Electric only but dump station on site. Was just over a 2 hour drive for us from the eastern Jaco/KC metro area. Cant wait to come back!

Easy Access to Lake

Bathrooms could really use an update but the lake access in our group campsite was awesome!

They have it all!

Everything about this place is amazing! They are very welcoming and have everything for everyone!

Nice large campgrounds

Was perfect, there are several campgrounds to choose from. We picked one that over looked the lake and we could walk to from the campsite. The campground has its own beach and its own boat launch that are only for campground guests. There is also a public beach and boat launch in the park that is separate. We had the whole beach to ourselves for awhile, the most we seen was probably 5 or 6 families at the beach at once.

8/31/18

What a nice getaway. No internet, no cell, no problem. Great beach with a beautiful view.

Nice State Park

This is one of my favorite state parks. Not only is it close to home, it is a very quiet, relaxing campground. There are several hiking trails, a small lake and they even rent kayaks. I have stayed here many times for anywhere from a weekend to a week. The last time I was there i was camping alone and the campground hosts always made sure I was ok. They even let me use one of their water hoses, mine wasn't long enough to reach the spigot, so I wouldn't have to drive out to buy another one. Yes I ran out of water. I guess i washed too many dishes that week! The restrooms and showers are well maintained. There are no full hookups, just electric. I will continue going back.

Great for Family Camping

Great place for camping with the family and dogs! everyone is very pleasant and I felt comfortable letting the kids ride their bikes around, a great presence from the park rangers !

quiet, walk-ins had no trouble finding site

We stopped late without reserving when our original plan fell through, but found a primitive site just fine. Nature programs were fun and informative, and the campground was relatively quiet.