Chilhowee , MISSOURI

Most Recent Chilhowee Camping Reviews
montrose conservation area missouri

this little off the beaten path camp ground his paved roads, boat access for 2 areas 1 near the damn which closes a gate after 10pm, we use the other area near the conservation station(although ive never seen anyone there) park rangers are mostly non existent , they do drive through, they are quite nice an most the time never stop just smile an wave, there some fire spots but be kind an put up rocks that you can find along the shore, there is bathroom facilities and a dumpster behind the conservation building.

the area is surrounded by trees but the area is clean, nice soft grass, there are pecan an walnut trees so watch out for your heads when its fall lol . you can fish, boat and swim but i recommend  water shoes. the water is very shallow most the time its only chest deep out in the middle. there is loads of wildlife to see an arent much scared of humans, racoons,beavers, crane, squirrels,dear,owls an much more. theres also blackberries in the fall.

all in all a very nice quiet little free camp area. we go all the time.

Great place to camp!

This was the second campground I visited with my new camper. It was easy to get to, beautiful overlooking the lake, and was clean. The hiking trails were overgrown and no longer accessible.

Cute, Small Quiet

We camped the last weekend in September picking a late reservation where kayaks were available for our first tent test run were our main goals, which the site met. Kayaking was wildly available, due to the small lake and difficult launch, we can see why, but still very enjoyable. Site was very sizable for our tent, as most are suitable for campers. Lots of even ground, with decent distance. Facilities could do with some updates, but there were a number of bathrooms on site, spaced so no site seemed far, including the vault toilet and a lot of people masking up while going into bathrooms as well, which was appreciated. Current host was super nice and helpful to first timers. The tiny market has a number of random items, including a collapsible fork which was the only thing we hadn't overpacked, and wasn't overpriced. Fire pits on our site were adjustable, making grilling food easier to control.

Out in the country

Nice campground run by the corp of engineers. Camp sites are far apart with plenty of shade trees. They only have one shower house for about 150 sites, but plenty of restrooms. Nice level area great for bike riding. They only have one hiking trail but it was well marked. Cell service is hard to get and air tv only gets public broadcasting stations

Middle of town Getaway

The original plan was to be in Blue Springs for an outdoor off-road RC event, camping in our pup with a generator at the track. Cue pouring down rain for a week and the event is postponed, with notification out midday on Thursday. I had been eyeing this campground as a possibility for the area, and I'm so glad we decided to pull the trigger and camp anyway! We had a great pick of sites online, were able to book Thursday night and head out Friday early afternoon from central Iowa. It poured down rain for the whole trip, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at our site. The staff was super friendly, as well as other campers nearby. We chose a spot near (but not too near) the restroom on an outside loop (site 50). Pros: Facilities are kept very clean, staff is friendly, gated grounds, sites have great drainage, other campers were very quiet, Fleming Park has a lot to do and see, including a native hoofed animal enclosure.
Cons: You may only use campground firewood (BUT, we got 3 buckets of really great wood that lasted Friday and Saturday night), the previous tenants of our site left a bunch of trash behind (nothing against the campground, but irritates me in general), the highway can definitely be heard, but wasn't overly distracting, the floor drainage in the shower house (men and women) was variable dependent on which stall you chose. Most certainly would stay again!

City Camping

If you’re wanting to camp where you are close to city amenities, this is the spot for you. My husband, our dog and I camped in one of the tent spots, but there were mostly RV’s around us. The bathrooms and laundry area were relatively clean and the camp hosts were very friendly and helpful. You can’t see the lake from the campground, and there was some road noise from morning commuters but overall it’s a nice stop for a night or two. We felt very safe here since they require an access code to get into the gate.

Beautiful 100 Year Old Farmhouse and Property

Very nice hosts. Quiet, secluded spot.

I can't wait to go back!

We enjoyed a weekend there and can't wait to go back. Hopefully for longer than a weekend. The lake was great, the sites were level and not too close together, shaded and beautiful. I saw my first armadillo too!

A local gem

A campsite not to far from Kansas City but had a feeling far removed. The campground was super clean and well maintained. Out site was great near the entrance but on top a hill and the perfect tree coverage for shade. One of the best shaded spots in the campground.

Heaven on Earth

Stayed here on my way to Colorado and on the way home. A beautiful farm and property nestled in beautiful Higginsville Missouri. The owners are amazing people allowed me to use shower in the amazing 100 year old home. I’ll be stopping here any time I’m coming through the area. A ++