The best DRIVE IN camping near
Kingtown , ALABAMA

Most Recent Kingtown Camping Reviews
Leave no trace

I really enjoy backpacking Bankhead National Forest. We camped about 1 mile in at an existing fire ring. Beautiful water color!! Cool trees and rock formations.

Horse Camp with cell Service

This is off the beaten path a bit, but it has its perks. Here you can find potable water from the spickets all year long. It is essentially a large field with some very large loblolly pines. The nights sky is wonderful. Also, from here you can link together 22 miles worth of trail. We rode our bikes, the trails are more geared for the equestrian rider, but was friendly enough for bikes. We enjoyed staying here after being out of cell service for a few days at brushy lake, so we were able to catch up and coordinate our next destination.  As far as campground amenties outside of whats already been covered there are a had full of picnic tables and a pit toilet.

Cost is $5 a night or $3 for day use. 2 bars of Verizon 4G LTE.

Rustic campsites, nice cabins

We like the rustic campground here! Nice new bathhouse and playground area. They sell firewood! I do wish the campground was on the river or had water views, but it’s close by, so that’s okay.

There is a nice lodge with restaurant. The cabins here are extremely nice! They have views of the Tennessee River. Be sure to check out the wildlife rehab near the front office.

There are a few stores and restaurants close by in case you want to go out to eat if need to make a trip to the store.

We love Tennessee State Parks!

Not my style, but others love it.

Another Mississippi State Park that has so much potential, but has been neglected. The bath house is nice, but most of the sites are extremely close together. Laundry facility’s and vending machines can be found in the bathroom.

The cove with sites 10-24 seem to be the better spots in my personal opinion. The sites on the water are nice (43,45,47).

They do have cabins for rent along with a lodge and a Marina on site. Most people that camp here are coming for the lake. This is a popular place during the summer.

Quiet country setting

Nice park, very quiet, the owners are onsite and are wonderful people. The grounds are clean, the best part is the campgrounds are in the middle of nowhere.

$5 Waterfront Camping

Brushy Lake is a lovely spot in the beautiful Bankhead National Forest. The 33 acre lake is perfect for canoeing or kayaking. The fishing is excellent. There is a nice trail that goes from the campground along the lake that is paved. If pavements not your thing you can adventure a little farther off the beating path and traverse below the beautiful bluff trail. We visited in late January and experienced the beautiful songs of the birds. They were large and loud. That made not having cell service all the better. The water spickets are not operational at brushy lake during the winter. But, just a short 3.5 miles down the dirt road water can be obtained from the Owl Creek Horse Camp area. The horse camp also has 2 bars of Verizon 4G if you need to call out to check in, but still want to stay by the lake. Bike riding down the dirt roads was also an activity that we enjoyed while staying at Brushy Lake. Specifically we stay at site four which worked great for launching the canoe. Also, site 4 was prime because outside of the pad for the camper there was a great tent pad setup for our friends who visited during the weekend. Outside of all that, there were pit toilets, nice large metal picnic tables, metal fire rings and lantern post at each site.

Great Area to camp with the family

Great area to camp. Right on Pickwick Lake with good views of river. The park staff is very active and have lots of activities planned year round. Good entertainment and food nearby. Clean and well kept.

Great family place to camp

Spent 3 nights here in December, 9-12th. Only half the camp sights were open, loop 1 was closed, but that's normal for the season. There's plenty to do here, trails to hike, sights to see. Good restaurant, an old mill, waterfalls, and playgrounds for the kids. Has 50, 30, and 20 amp electric hookups and water at all sights, plus fire ring and table. Dump station in loop 2. Clean restrooms and showers are available. Sites are all paved and level, decent separation. Nice rolling hills all around, and lots of wildlife.

Decent spot on the lake

Camped here on Christmas Day 2020. It was very quiet and a little windy. I was the only camper but it’s on a disc golf course so I saw a couple of those guys. I went down to the parking lot so I could sleep in my car and have a fire by the water. It was great and quiet except there are parking lot lights which I didn’t see until they turned on. There are picnic tables, trash cans, and portable toilets. All in all a nice spot. I had Verizon and I think I had two bars of service. There’s also a spot a little east off an unmarked dirt road which was ok and had a fire pit. I checked it out but there was just too much litter and a half eaten deer carcass which I wasn’t vibing with.

Clean, friendly hosts, well-designed

The owner of the CG said their goal is to do really well at serving campers passing through, and they are succeeding. CG is designed for easy in and out, but everything is super clean and fastidiously maintained. Grounds are nice too—huge grassy area and pretty creek. We appreciated everything about the place.