About Cheaha

Seek adventure and solitude on the highest point in Alabama at Cheaha State Park.

At 2,407 feet above sea level, Cheaha State Park, located on top of Cheaha Mountain, offers breathtaking views and adventurous recreational activities and is great for camping near Birmingham. This 2,799-acre mountaintop retreat is known for spectacular sunsets and beautiful waterfalls. The park offers overnight guests and day visitors an array of activities as well as opportunities for rest. Facilities include a restaurant, hotel, cabins, chalets, camping with options that range from improved to primitive, and pavilions.

In addition to lodge rooms, cabins, and A-frame chalets, we offer improved camping in the park, semi-primitive camping near the highest point, and primitive camping near Cheaha Lake. There is also primitive camping along mountainside trails, offering campers numerous options for getting close to nature. Groups may want to consider reserving Cheaha's historic CCC Bald Rock Lodge, which has 12 bedrooms/baths with a beautiful grand hall, for retreats, family reunions, meetings and more!

Hike In
No WiFi
Cheaha is located in Alabama
56 Reviews of Cheaha
Beautiful views

Nice campground with full hookups. Short hikes to fantastic views. Also a pool and playground. Top of my list to visit again.

Nice

Gravel are level with room between sites. Quiet, not too big, and full hookups. Grill, fire ring, and nice picnic table at all sites. Lots of shade.

Cheaha State park is great.

First of all, We went during the beginning of covid19 and the office/store was mostly closed. You had to check in via a window that was crowded in a tight space. No place to park truck/travel trailer, park  ranger blocked this parking area. Had to pull into gravel parking lot not suited for trailer. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. Campground was clean and newly remodeled sites with modern pedestal. No cable or antenna reception. Not a big deal, Camping. Bath house was new and cleaned multiple times daily. Don't know if the cleaning schedule was normal or due to covid19 precautions. Sites were level and easy to enter as many were pull through. Hiking was average in the park. Not really great. Great was leaving the park and hiking the Pinhoti trail just outside the park. The restaurant at the lodge was closed during our visit and was the pool. All in all we would visit again.

Great Views

We camped here one night last month. The park was great, the rain not so much. But we got a few hikes in and did see a little sunshine. Pulpit Rock is great!

Breathtaking

The state park and campground are top notch! The views are amazing!!! There are trails to hike, a pool, a beach area, fishing, cool gift shop and store, and a restaurant.The campsites are great! They have both powered and primitive sites. There are two sections upper and lower. The lower was awesome close to the beach area and a short drive to the pool and restaurant. The upper is where all the hiking trails are located along with the pool,restaurant, and store. Only stayed one night but was hands down my favorite place I've been so far. Friendly staff, imaculate bathhouses and they have picnic tables and water on the powered sites as well. Will definitely go back when I have more time to stay. 19644 AL-281, Delta, AL 36258

(256)488-5111

Enjoyed our Stay

The area was beautiful, the amenities were nice (pool is very nice and the view from it is amazing, bathhouse is one side showers one side toilets), hiking trails were varying in difficulty (so for those that need stroller/wheelchair accessible there is one for you and those who like a challenge and rugged terrain, you’re covered too). We haven’t tried the restaurant yet, as due to covid19, is take out only, but I looked through and the view is amazing overlooking the valley.

As far as the campsites, full hook up, some capable of bigger rigs, but mainly smaller (<30’). A lot of them are connected and we don’t really like that since we have 4 kids, we like privacy and to give those around us some quiet, some are fairly level on gravel (they do have a couple concrete for handicap). Our particular camp host could use a couple lessons in humbleness/communication/kindness.

Cell reception is very good, however there is only one cell tower so it is on the slower side for browsing the internet/streaming (if you telework, my husband wasn’t able to do that this trip, he took vacation time) - this is with t-mobile/sprint (Verizon doesn’t get anything). Tv reception is pretty good, we got about 20 channels.

Long Time Favorite - Great summer and fall getaway

We stayed in the Lower Improved Campground - the campground itself has been renovated in the last few years, so the amenities are relatively new and updated. Power, water, and sewer (for those in RV's). The campground was clean and well patrolled by park staff. Note to tent campers like us: some of the sites are more intended for RV's, and the pads are extremely compacted, making it very difficult to drive stakes.

The real charm here is the remoteness and the feel of the park - it feels like step back in time to when a summer campout was a step away from civilization. While the park expects to add wifi in the future, you won't find it here (or anywhere close) at the moment. Cell phone coverage is fairly spotty. The park is surrounded on all sides by the Talladega National Forest and the Cheaha Wilderness, with easy access to a multitude of hiking and biking trails. Several waterfalls can also be accessed, making for a fun day on the trail coupled with a nice swim! (Note - NFS sites are closed at the time of this review, so some of the trails have limited access or significantly longer hikes than usual to see the waterfalls).

The lake area by the lower campground is perfect for the summer. fishing, swimming, and paddle boating in a mountain setting - just like the summer camps of old!! Makes for a fantastic time.

the main park on top of the mountain includes additional campgrounds as well as a restaurant, deck, pool, and hotel that overlook the mountain. Also are several cabins, chalets and other park structures originally built in the 1930's by the CCC. Most are in remarkable shape and lend a rustic and timeless feel to the place.

Several trails lead to scenic overlooks, with varying degrees of difficulty. Heads up - the topography is STEEP, especially the Lake Trail. Particularly to note here - there is an ADA compliant boardwalk leading to the Bald Rock overlook, so the views are accessible to all. A great addition from my younger years!

All in all - a good place to get away in the mountains for a few days!

Wow just wow!

We stayEd in Lower campground lot # 66 it was a level lot with shade across and from bathhouse. The staff was super friendly and the bathrooms/showers in that area are the nicest, cleanest I’ve ever come across. The pool area was clean and they have a restaurant called cliff side I didn’t get to try but I’ll be back 100% this place is absolutely beautiful. Can’t wait until fall when the leaves change oh…. and the lake/ beach area was nice too!! It was $36 a night had sewer, water, power. It’s so quiet and peaceful there.

Cheaha State Park - Camping Above the Clouds

Cheaha State Park is located south of I-20 close to Oxford& Anniston, Alabama. Its in one of the highest areas of the state and the towing incline to get there proves it. If your truck is struggling to tow your camper, this might not be the place for you.

We were here over Easter weekend during the COVID-19 shut down. I was surprised by the number of campers over the weekend with some even tent camping. This park has it all. Nice sites with full hook-ups. What looked like a clean, new bath house, although I didn't use it. Lots of hiking trails, some of which are strenuous. And talk about the scenery! You really are rewarded with stunning cliff side panorama views of the area.

If you're not into camping, this park also has multiple cottages for rent that looked really nice. There is also a lodge, restaurant, and a swimming pool with a view. Many things were closed due to the virus, but it looks like it is a great place when things are open. Since it's a short drive from the Atlanta area, I know we'll be back.

Great to getaway

We just left this morning, booked May 15th-May17th. I did my booking about two weeks early and I know it was sold out when we got there. The majority of the attractions are closed, and half the grounds are due to Covid. The others, including a trail or two are closed due to AT&T tower construction. We got in on the upper semi primitive tent sites, which was absolutely perfect. I booked 107&109 together for a family that was coming up with us, but did want to keep our distance as much as possible as there are still distancing and safety guidelines to live by. I think the ground was perfect and fully shaded spots, I did my research here and we were about 100 ft from the bathrooms (no bathhouse just toilets). They were okay…they did clean them (empty the trash and refilled the soap) by the time we left so maybe once a day. I'd like to see them a bit more sparkling or smell somewhat like cleaning spray to feel comfortable, but I take a cleaning wipe to touch anything that others may touch as well. Then I ensure I'm washing again, with sanitizer after. People don't seem to mind the fact a pandemic is happening but I just want to safely get my family outside the house, and my selfish outdoors experience in. Might not make me much different than the others, but I'd be very careful. The sites were perfect and had trails leading to the Leave no trace trail, which was a good mile for my 3 yr old and 16 month old (we carried both intermittently 16 months obviously was in the ergo baby 99% of the mile). There are shared spigots for water supply and this is no big deal, we put a small hose on ours at 109 & everyone very well enjoyed it. Views make you feel out of Alabama, I am used to 4,000 footers and up but I loved being out there and will go back to plan a hike without my kids (or even husband!)