the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In
Cheaha State Park is located in Alabama
27 Reviews of Cheaha State Park
Beautiful views/highest point in Alabama

My husband and I tent camped at Cheaha State Park in February,2019 as part of our quest to hike the highest point in every state. This park is probably much better for those not tent camping. First the store and staff are AWESOME! We had to change our stay to one night vs two due to the upcoming storm, no, problem. The hiking trails are great and the views are awesome. I think we were the only tent campers in the park. The actual site had no level ground to pitch our tent, we even tried a separate site since we were the only ones there, but no luck. The bathrooms had no shower, otherwise nice. The highest point is actually in the park, so it wasn’t much of a hike, but there is a nice tower and a museum that has much of the history of CCC. There are Pavillions and a restaurant on site. We couldn’t decide between 3 and 4 stars, but for tent campers we chose 3 due to reasons stated.

Cold and Windy, but Quiet & Relaxing

3 night stay at the upper improved campground (lower improved was closed for winter maintenance). Sites are large but some are not very level, so have leveling gear ready. More pull thru sites here than I’ve seen at any other campground. Cellphone coverage with Verizon is spotty for the most part and nonexistent in some areas. No WiFi available. Bathhouse is very clean. When making your online reservation, the red boxes on the campground map are not the bathhouses. The single bathhouse is more centrally located in the Upper Improved Campground if you are one to choose a site based on its distance to the bathhouse. The park recently cut down many trees from storm damage, so there is a lot of free wood for the taking if you want to put in a little work to cut it up. Camp store has very basic, convenient store type, selection. Closest real grocery store is about 25 minutes from the park. Lots of hiking in the park and surrounding National Forest. And they have a dog park to let you furry friends run loose for a little bit. Primitive camping, cabins, and hotel also available in the park.

Beautiful park... camp store a little weak

Hiking in the area is amazing!!’ The campground is nice… a lot pull through spots. No wifi or cell service; but we loved being disconnected. Recommend starting at Cheaha Trailhead and catch Cave Creek Trail to Pinhoti back to the parking lot… views are amazing.

Cheaha State Park: Absolutely Amazing!

A few weeks back, I had a few days off during the week and decided to make a quick trip up for a few days of camping. After viewing some of the campsites online and reading a few reviews on here, I decided to stay at a semi-primitive site inside the park. My initial concern was the location of the semi-primitive sites, as they were located right off the road. However, I found that this wasn't much of an issue since I was the only one in that entire area for 90% of my trip.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and quickly set up my site. Each one features a stone fire ring, a picnic table, and a space to park right next to your campsite. Restrooms are located a short walk up the road and are attached to a large covered pavilion with plenty of picnic tables and a large stone fireplace on each end. The restrooms were clean and well maintained, but do not contain shower facilities on the semi-primitive loop. There are showers available in the RV section of the park, but they would require driving (or a long walk) to reach them. Select sites have outlets or water spigots at the road.

Unlike Oak Mountain, which is centrally located and a short driving distance from pretty much everything, Cheaha State park is pretty isolated. Unless you plan on eating at the restaurant or getting small items from the park store, you'd need to bring any food or other items you may need.

When making reservations online, you can view each campsite and read a brief description for each one. Some of the semi-primitive sites are really small and close to the road, so I highly recommend viewing each site when making your online reservations to make sure you get something that suits your needs.

Basically, this place is great! There's plenty to do and as always, the online registration process was quick and easy. The views along the Pinhoti are amazing and the waterfalls were quiet and relaxing. In the early morning hours, deer would wander thru the campsites and I saw tons of interesting wildlife while out on the trails. If you're a mountain biker, the Cheaha Express trail head is right up from the semi-primitive area, and the Pinhoti trailhead is only a half mile from the campground. All in all, it's definitely worth the trip.

Beautiful views and lots of options

This is a great campsite for anyone who wants to check out this amazing peak but doesn’t have an interest in backpacking. They have many options including cabins and villas as well as RV sites and tent only. There are also several trails that leave right from the campground and some easy walks to beautiful views. This is definitely one of the most beautiful places in Alabama and one of my favorite to visit.

Camping High Amongst The Clouds

I arrived at this campsite earlier in the day and was a little worried because it was so foggy I couldn't see but a few feet in front of me. It was dismal and being in the primitive loop I was doubtful that getting my site would be pleasurable at all. I was there during the week following Labor Day Weekend so there was NO ONE camping and I was basically told to find the site which suited me best.

I found a place located in the trees a bit and decided to explore a bit before setting up. I first combed the watch tower which was a really neat place, but because it was midweek the interpretive center was not open. The views were limited and again I was discouraged. I decided to go toward one of the trails, the ADA boardwalk toward the bald and everything opened up and changed the face of everything!!

As the fog lifted it was beautiful, one of the highest points in the state and you could see everything for miles and miles around. Every bit of discouragement I had lifted and I soon settled into my site for a great stay.

The camp space I selected was considered semi-primitive which meant it was close to fresh water and bath houses. They are located in the first camping loop and have clear roads which are wide enough to pull and RV but perfect also for tent campers. For only $18 I found this to be a great place to call home for the evening.

TIPS:

• Try this site on a weekday or an off season. The lodge and restaurant are still open and very close to camp, but you can also enjoy camping with very few others around you.
  • Check out the trails. If you stop at the registration they will provide you with a map, don't just try the hard ones try the easy ones too because they have some very nice features such as information stations along the way.
  • Watch out for deer!! They roam free so make sure you keep your eyes open and drive at a slow pace.
Mountainis and dog friendly

This was a beautiful campground located up a mountain. It was very quite with large sized lots. Dog friendly with a corner store and restaurant nearby. Awesome mountain views and hiking.

Backcountry sites were good

I have hiked the back country here and lots of good sites with adequate water make it a good backpacking adventure for beginners. The lodge is good for a meal when you are done and some amazing north Alabama views

The lake makes it All worth it!

For tents: Sites vary. There is adequate space between them. Some have electric some don’t. Some have rock beds, some have grass beds (but there are hidden big rocks in the grass making it hard to find a good smooth spot). The sites for tents are very close to the road (except for the ones near the bath house! I’m getting one of those next time! 5,6). Decent little slide for kids and some awesome rocks for kids to climb (5 yrs and up or good climbers). Pretty quiet. We drove up (or down?!) to the lake and my oh my was it gorgeous!!!!!!!! Bring soap for hand washing in bathroom.

Great!

has clean bathrooms (showers, toilets, water), wonderful hiking trails, RV and tent sites, nice park store, excellent park hotel, beautiful views