the dyrt
No Market
Chewacla State Park is located in Alabama
12 Reviews of Chewacla State Park
Hiking

Decent hiking. Trails aren’t very difficult, pet friendly.

Rude employees

Chewacla State Park near Auburn, Alabama was a nice place with some old architecture and nice mountain bike trails.

At the front gate the employee was so busy talking to his friend, possibly another employee, that he couldn’t be bothered to answer any questions. Then his friend felt the need to tell me make sure my dogs were on leashes in a totally snarky voice/attitude. When I stated my dogs would be leashed she said “yeah that’s what they always say”. That could have ruined the whole visit.

I attempted to have an enjoyable time exploring the trails and area and soon forgot about the evil female at the front gate. I really like the old bridges along the roadway and trails. I missed the falls :( The original CCC cabins are renovated and still in use.

The lake is pieceful due in part to only non-motorized vehicles permitted. There is a nice beach area with sand and pavilion.

The campground has an old showerhouse but it was in good repair. Not totally creepy at night. The sites are level and shady and depending on which site you get mostly private. The tent area sits between the two RV loops.

Secluded yet convenient

Even though you are technically within the city limits of Auburn, you really feel like you are away from it all. Perfect for camping with the Boy Scouts or just a day of hiking with the family, there is something for everyone here. Covered pavilions, fishing, hiking, camping, bike trails, you name it, there is something for everyone. My preference is to hike, but if camping is your thing, there are plenty of options, from primitive camping to RV spots. Try this hidden gem!

Beware of the abundance of ants

My husband and I stayed here in May. They weren’t very helpful at all when we got ants from them. They just sprayed even more chemicals that we already tried and called it a day. We had to leave 2 days early. We were staying here to celebrate our marriage with friends and family so we were already stressed. This wasn’t at all what we call a good time.

Avoid during football season

This is a great campground just off the interstate with great swimming, biking, and a waterfall. It has a lot of history related to Auburn University and is popular with students as well as past generations of students. But it continues to be a good family friendly destination. Flat campground with good services.

Mountain Biking!

As a first time mountain biker, this park was tough! There were several hiking and bike trails to choose from, and they were clearly marked. This is a great place to start mountain biking and there are increased difficulty trails for when you get confident!

Great primitive sites with hiking, water, and trails

Primitive sites are fantastic. Lots of room and privacy (woods in between sites) and dog friendly. Has a pond with small beach area and diving dock for kids and paddling and playground. Hiking options are around the lake or down the small river or stream with lots of places to set up hammocks and a few small waterfalls. I think the longest hike is 3 to 5 miles so not a lot of full day hike options.

If you're into Mountain Biking the park has recently devoted a lot of time and resources to bike trails and obstacles and they're phenomenal.

Overall, great site and definitely worth the camp if you're in the area or pulling through but lack of long trails and unique attractions make it where I wouldn't travel here specifically for this park.

Easy hike and Family orientated activities

Chewalca State park has more to offer than just hiking. There are several mountain bike trails of varying diffivulties. There is also paddle boating and kayaks available for the lake. Throughout the hike there are canopies and grills where families can hang out. The hike was easy and not very long. The trail loops around the a lake and brings you to a waterfall on the back side of the lake. The waterfall is easy accessible and you can get as close as you wish. The park is also pet friendly.

So close to Auburn

This is a great location. Nice place to get away. Nice hiking and a big grass field to play sports. This was a great place.

A great camping and hiking experience for Southeast Alabama.

Chewalca State park has a lot of activities for anyone in the area to do. They have one the best mountain biking trails in the area; however, I did not get to try it out during my visit. I enjoyed the trail which loops around the lake and has an area where I could see the water fall. I also was able to find a spot to setup my hammock and enjoy the mist coming off the water fall. The park was good, but I wanted more challenging and exploring hike. This park is great if you have children and pets. The trails needed a little more work.