Hoover, ALABAMA

Most Recent Hoover Camping Reviews
Nice quite camping

We were here during winter, so there wasn’t a lot going on. This is a nice campground that is adding a lot of new sites. The older sites seem to be mostly 30 amp, FHU. They do have some 50 amp, and it looks like all the new sites are 50 amp. You are right on the lake with a good view. Equipped with bathhouse, laundry room, club house, nice playground and more! We would definitely stay here again.

Amazing Rock Formations

Really incredible place. Spent the day bouldering. They had rental shoes for the kids and crash pads also. Nice and quiet. We brought the RV and everything was good except the water lines were winterized. Not a big deal they have showers and bathrooms available.

Fun weekend hiking getaway

I love coming to this park. The hikes are challenging, the camping is good and the employees are wonderful. The only downside I have to this campground is while it is technically "car" camping, you have to park either down the hill or up the hill from your site, which is just a little irritating at best. Otherwise, the staff is phenomenal and the scenery is spectacular. I have only been here in the fall/winter, but plan to come back in summer at some point to see all the green and wildlife out and about.

Amazing State Park w/ countless outdoor activities!

If you are looking for a place with outdoor activities for any and all, this is your spot! The campground itself is fairly large with options for all types of camping. The camp store has just about anything you could need and extremely friendly service. Bathrooms were clean and sufficient as far as availability for use. My biggest complaint was privacy as far as sights being very close together. Tent sights seemed to be fairly spacious and secluded but we drove around the loop 3 times before I found an electric sight where I felt we had some privacy. This campground and park itself is extremely beautiful and so worth the stay to get to explore it. Whether it is hiking, fishing, boating, kayaking, horseback riding, sight seeing, nature exploring, photography or whatever it is you like to do outside, this place will give you plenty of options to keep you busy or just relaxing at peace out in nature. I highly recommend this as a stop on your list of campgrounds to go visit.

Great Camp

I stumbled across this place while traveling across Alabama. A bit rustic but it has a great bathhouse. Lots of locals at the camp. Very friendly place. I'll definitely stop in there again when I am.in that area.

Free and Secluded

This place is freaking awesome!!! This campground is specifically for use during hunting season but was a perfect place for a free stay on our way down to the beach at Dauphin Island. This is a dispersed campground with absolutely zero facilities. What you bring in is what you have. There was literally not a single soul in this campground other than us. I would imagine you don’t get many people camping back in here unless it is hunting season or the occasional camper trying to sneak away for a quiet weekend getaway. I hesitated to even post this campground because it is such a hidden gem. It is a bit off the beaten path in some WMA ground but well worth the drive if you want the privacy. You will drive past a very large Christmas tree farm as well on your way into it. Signage for the campground is minimal so be sure to use your GPS and enjoy!

Free and Secluded

Pretty good

We got a tent site with power. Great price! Clean park, lake is always a good thing. Lights at camp ground kinda bright, but guess if I needed to go pee that would help lol. Lady working office was pretty nice and helpful. Has a little store can get almost anything you might need. Bath house shower had great hot water with good pressure. Felt safe here that’s important. I’d definitely come back. Probably next weekend lol the beach area had a lot of rocks! Probably due to water level low had to go buy some water shoes, but then it was all good.

Great time

Rode motorcycles up from Florida panhandle for some reflection time. Offers all different options of camping. Has bathrooms, showers and a lake there is plenty of things to do. I intend to go back when I have more time. Great place to rest.

Closed till further notice

Sure hate that they closed it up. They have a nice lake and pool. Said they might reopen in a year.

Great Weekend Getaway

Site had plenty of room to stretch out with the fire ring being 20 feet away from the RV. Created several outdoor spaces and was a nice change from other super cramped RV sites at other campgrounds. Power was stable and water was clean. Several bath houses through the campground. Super close to mountain bike trails and kayak put ins. Friendly staff. Only negatives were ants on the campsite and the dumpsters were really far away. We’ve made plans to comeback next year.

Great park but sites are tight

Love Tannehill but the sites in Sec 1 are on top of each other.

Huge park, lots to do!

Oak Mountain State Park is Alabama’s largest state park. Located just outside of Birmingham, it’s easy to escape to nature without being too far off the beaten path. This park is HUGE! There’s so many things to do here, we plan to return when we have more time to explore!

We saw several hiking trails, a horseback riding area, a golf course, a lake with a beach and swimming area, plus kayak and boats, we also saw some kind of skiing tow rope area! It was really cool, I’d never seen one of those! I read the park is known for mountain biking also, and I noticed a few road bikes in the bike lane driving in.

We originally booked a tent site without electric, but it was blazing hot, so we decided to move to a site with electric so we could have fans in our rooftop tent and ended up in site A06. The site was shaded and there was no one in that area so we had great privacy. Our site backed up to the woods, so it was nice.

The tent (no electric) sites are the best in my opinion. Most are back in the woods and shaded. I don’t believe you can reserve a specific tent site, as they assign you one when you arrive, but there were so many great tent sites, i don’t think it would be a problem unless it was a super busy weekend. Most of the tent sites are walk in also, so if you have a rooftop tent, or car camping, these won’t work.

A loop seemed to have larger, wooded, sites with more privacy. B loop was wide open. The tent sites were great in both loops though.

The restrooms were ancient. They could use some updates, but they were clean and functional, and there were multiple facilities throughout the campground.

There’s a camp store at the check in area, they have the essentials, and they do have ice. The ladies working in there were really nice and helpful too.

Oak Mountain is a great spot to camp, just go when there’s not a heat wave in Alabama, and you have time to explore the park!

Primative Gem

If you enjoy being in the woods alone, and free camping, this is the spot for you! We camped one night at the Hollins WMA camping area, and we were literally the only people there! I imagine it might be different during hunting season, but we stayed a night in early August and we were all alone!

We arrived at the campground late, as we were just looking for a place to camp for one night on our way to another campground, luckily the directions link on The Dyrt lead us right to it, via google maps. There is a Christmas tree farm at the entrance of the WMA, so when you see it, you’re close to the entrance, and the campground is a couple miles in, just keep going until you see the sign.

The camp is truly primative, however the road was in good shape, and the area is great. Lots of level spots, you can see the remnants of campfires, but it appeared as if no one has been there for some time. There’s no restrooms, water, electric, etc, but nature! Which is way better, if u ask me!

This spot was definitely one of the nicest free camping spots we’ve been to. Didn’t see any trash, and there were so many level spots to choose from. Really a great spot for us!

Nice place but water isnt the cleanest

Nice sites to drive on.

Clean, friendly and well maintained

The grounds are well maintained and the staff is on top of things. Great location on the lake, close to everything. So close you don’t even need to leave the RV park to see the frequent fireworks or the huge pelican gatherings.

Great campground with lots to do in park

We stayed here for Camp-o-ween. Campers really got into decorating for the trick or treaters. Lots of fun activities planned by the park in the campground and around the park. Lots of variety in the sites for tent and RV campers.

Paradise point

I loved the campground. My wife and kids were safe while I was away. The staff was more than awesome. They were very flexible working with me

Candy mountain

Grounds not kept up Owner was nice Cigarette butts every where in our site along with beer bottle tops. Was not as comfortable as I like to be leaving my wife and children alone there. A friend said his tag was stolen off his rv while there. Same guy also said that the mans bull dog was swimming in the pool when he went.

Tannehill

Very tight spots. Lots of trees though for cover. Tomany things to mention to do at this park, particularly for history buffs. Numerous events held there. We very much enjoyed our stay would go back

Oak mountain

Small sites Very long drive into the campsite. Some like the drive it wasn’t for us. Otherwise it was a really neat with bike trails wakeboard park fishing, golf, horseback stuff. Neat for a week stay or passing through

Perfectly adequate for ourneeds

We needed a one night stopover Campground. Aesthetics are important, so we chose Oak Mountain State Park for its mountain beauty. We thought we’d reserve the campsite (B36) based on its being at the end of the area and near the shower/restroom. Major pros to the campground would be an apparent lot of things to do: what looked like a zip line water skiing place, lots of major inflatable stuff in the beach swimming area, equestrian trails and stalls for horses, hiking trails… and our site was near one of the playgrounds in the campground. The staff in the office and host folks were wonderful and friendly. But, our site was an asphalt pad ( perfectly level) with no grass around it. While the campground is surrounded by forest, There were some trees, and some shade, but not enough space around us to sit back ( on our asphalt) to enjoy them. The shower was perfectly hot and adequate water pressure, but there is one shower in each shower house/restroom, and it was right inside the restroom door with a bend in the wall and one plastic shower curtain. My daughter felt exposed, but there weren’t so many people using the showerhouse to be problematic. The two toilet stalls were also enough for the number of people that needed to use them. (There are other similarly sized showerhouse/restrooms not too far away.) This campground met our needs well, but we weren’t overwhelmed and didn’t rush to book a return overnight after our trip. There are many reasons to love this place ( and the tent camp spaces looked fantastic!!!) but for what we needed I’d have to say it was just perfectly adequate.

Civilian Conservation Corp and Pinhoti Trail

Simple and enjoyable. Caretaker and author Sunny Eberhart (Nimblewill Nomad ) is wonderful to talk to. Access to southern terminus of the Pinhoti Trail. CCC tower and cabins from 1930’s.

Beautiful campground!

We have camped at this park several times. We have always enjoyed our stay. Most of the campsites are tucked away beneath a canopy of trees with nice shade. The bath houses are always clean, as well as the entire campground. It is great for a relaxing weekend getaway.

Great for beginners!

My campground was great for true car campers. The campsite was only a few strides from my car and there was a water spigot 5 steps away. I went on a very busy weekend but typically there is less action. Also, I love that you can choose what type of camping you want- RV, car camping, or even backcountry!

One of those places you hope for

We stayed in 2 sites over 3 days.  One in each loop.  Absolutely a place will would stay at again.  The B loop is more packed in and your view may be of other campsites.  The A loop is more spread out but your site will be right on the main road.  The park is very well kept and the staff was more than friendly.  There is something for everyone to do within the park including a golf course.

Cave and swim

Olympic size pool fed by cave water!! Kids loved this campground! Low and high dive, great gift shop and cave tours. Ready to go back!!

Love it every time

Clean, well kept and managed. Loads of stuff to do here! My kids love the hike to Peavine falls and swimming at the beach area. Bringing your own kayak saves you money and you can bike or ride horses all day!

Beautiful Historic park

Great campsites creek for swimming and if your looking for a sweet treat stop in and grab some ice cream. Bathhouses need attention though wasn’t pleased.