Talladega National Forest, ALABAMA

Camping Alabama Talladega National Forest
Most Recent Talladega National Forest Camping Reviews
Great for families

Perfect for families that don’t mind taking the beaten trail. There are trails for every type of hiker. This place was great to get out and see some of nature’s great sites. Definitely will be back!

Amazing Rock Formations

Really incredible place. Spent the day bouldering. They had rental shoes for the kids and crash pads also. Nice and quiet. We brought the RV and everything was good except the water lines were winterized. Not a big deal they have showers and bathrooms available.

Great campground, Amazing hiking!

We stayed in the recently renovated upper campground loop on site S7. Our friends stayed on site S9. We were basically on a little island and it was perfect for 2 sites camping together. The bath house was a short 2 minute walk. The bathhouse is brand new and very nice. The showers are separate from the toilet area. They (4) showers are all private, which is nice.

All of the parking pads, fire pits and tables have been upgraded and freshened up. A handful of the sites where very small and extremely out in the open. For example, site 14 is basically the bathouse parking lot. All of the sites on the outer loop were the best in my opinion.

The campground is more secure than most as you have to have a key code to get through the gate to enter the park. You also have to have another key code to get into the campground.

The camp store had everything that you could possibly need if you forget something, including bundles of wood. The lodge was great for dinner if you want to have someone else do it for you. We always like to eat out the first night we are setting up camp. The buffet was delicious.

We love to hike when we camp. We actually choose our campgrounds based on the level of hiking that is around it. Cheaha and the Talladega National Forrest did not dissapoint. We were able to get in 5 different trails, including 2 waterfalls, during our weekend stay.

The only disappointment was the lack of cell service. We were on top of a mountain with towers all around, but we would only get 1 bar of service every now and then when the wind would blow just right and we were standing in the perfect spot. They are supposed to be offering wifi soon.

Gorgeous location!

This walk in campsite is right next to the waterfalls. Tons of exploring can be done around camp or you could extend the trails and explore Devils Den Falls as well! There is an established fire ring, lots of flat places for tents and lots of trees for hammocks. The walk from Chinnabee Silent Parking lot is 1 mile. It looks like people also park along the entrance on road 600-G making it only a 1/2 mile walk into camp.

I was sad to see trash left behind in the fire pit. Please pack out what you pack in (and help pick up along the way too!)

Fun weekend hiking getaway

I love coming to this park. The hikes are challenging, the camping is good and the employees are wonderful. The only downside I have to this campground is while it is technically "car" camping, you have to park either down the hill or up the hill from your site, which is just a little irritating at best. Otherwise, the staff is phenomenal and the scenery is spectacular. I have only been here in the fall/winter, but plan to come back in summer at some point to see all the green and wildlife out and about.

Amazing State Park w/ countless outdoor activities!

If you are looking for a place with outdoor activities for any and all, this is your spot! The campground itself is fairly large with options for all types of camping. The camp store has just about anything you could need and extremely friendly service. Bathrooms were clean and sufficient as far as availability for use. My biggest complaint was privacy as far as sights being very close together. Tent sights seemed to be fairly spacious and secluded but we drove around the loop 3 times before I found an electric sight where I felt we had some privacy. This campground and park itself is extremely beautiful and so worth the stay to get to explore it. Whether it is hiking, fishing, boating, kayaking, horseback riding, sight seeing, nature exploring, photography or whatever it is you like to do outside, this place will give you plenty of options to keep you busy or just relaxing at peace out in nature. I highly recommend this as a stop on your list of campgrounds to go visit.

Great Camp

I stumbled across this place while traveling across Alabama. A bit rustic but it has a great bathhouse. Lots of locals at the camp. Very friendly place. I'll definitely stop in there again when I am.in that area.

Lower Camp area Fantastic! Brand New!

The drive in is 12 mile of twists and turns, ups and downs, and worth the drive. We were greeted with a knowing staff and great directions to the lower camp area. We looked over the lodge and it will be a place to visit when we are not camping. The lower camp are is brand new and the bathrooms are clean and large. Our camp site was level and a pull through. Great place.

Free and Secluded

This place is freaking awesome!!! This campground is specifically for use during hunting season but was a perfect place for a free stay on our way down to the beach at Dauphin Island. This is a dispersed campground with absolutely zero facilities. What you bring in is what you have. There was literally not a single soul in this campground other than us. I would imagine you don’t get many people camping back in here unless it is hunting season or the occasional camper trying to sneak away for a quiet weekend getaway. I hesitated to even post this campground because it is such a hidden gem. It is a bit off the beaten path in some WMA ground but well worth the drive if you want the privacy. You will drive past a very large Christmas tree farm as well on your way into it. Signage for the campground is minimal so be sure to use your GPS and enjoy!

Free and Secluded

Fun time

We have been here at Greensporte RV for 63 days and having a great time. The wife and I have been enjoying the pool and talking to the other guests. I’ve been boating and fishing. There’s plenty to do. Don’t forget crappie fishing is just around the corner.

Great time

Rode motorcycles up from Florida panhandle for some reflection time. Offers all different options of camping. Has bathrooms, showers and a lake there is plenty of things to do. I intend to go back when I have more time. Great place to rest.

Super spot

Robert Patterson is a courteous man Very helpful. His place also has a small fishing pond, dock,pet area, sitting areas all over. Laundry. We returned several times

Closed till further notice

Sure hate that they closed it up. They have a nice lake and pool. Said they might reopen in a year.

Beautiful views

This campground is park of the Noccalula park system and a great weekend get away. Located on what we call “The Mountain” it sits next the Noccalula falls and the gorge with trails for hiking, bike riding and running. The camp ground is very clean and people are very nice

Great Weekend Getaway

Site had plenty of room to stretch out with the fire ring being 20 feet away from the RV. Created several outdoor spaces and was a nice change from other super cramped RV sites at other campgrounds. Power was stable and water was clean. Several bath houses through the campground. Super close to mountain bike trails and kayak put ins. Friendly staff. Only negatives were ants on the campsite and the dumpsters were really far away. We’ve made plans to comeback next year.

Excellent stop for the night!!

We were looking for a spot to pull over for the night on the way back from a family vacation. This place is conveniently right off the interstate, but still tucked away enough that it's quiet. Booking was extremely easy on the website -- though when I would refresh the site it did give me different prices each time. It was $35 total (including all taxes) for full hookups, water, & sewer. Each site includes a picnic table. We were in site 26. Very level, right by the pool, and still has a view of the lakes. Entire campground and pool area were very clean!

I wouldn't call this a "resort" or plan to vacation here, but it was a great place to stop for the night and work for the day. At&t and Verizon both had strong signals here. We didn't check for any wifi.

Family vacation

We

WWe stayed on one of the cabins and for about a week. This place has amazing views from the park and drive in. It has long, short, easy and difficult trails. A big variety for all. The restaurant has good floor for an affordable price and it also has an amazing view. I would recommend this park to any family.

Peaceful place to crash

Nice spread out campsites.

Great amenities, little privacy

Tons of things to do. Many great playgrounds, beach swimming, pier fishing, etc. However, campsites were ridiculously close together. Girl at the office was supposed to call when our site was ready, then never called. It would have helpful if she had mentioned that there was a code on our paperwork needed to get through the gate.

Huge park, lots to do!

Oak Mountain State Park is Alabama’s largest state park. Located just outside of Birmingham, it’s easy to escape to nature without being too far off the beaten path. This park is HUGE! There’s so many things to do here, we plan to return when we have more time to explore!

We saw several hiking trails, a horseback riding area, a golf course, a lake with a beach and swimming area, plus kayak and boats, we also saw some kind of skiing tow rope area! It was really cool, I’d never seen one of those! I read the park is known for mountain biking also, and I noticed a few road bikes in the bike lane driving in.

We originally booked a tent site without electric, but it was blazing hot, so we decided to move to a site with electric so we could have fans in our rooftop tent and ended up in site A06. The site was shaded and there was no one in that area so we had great privacy. Our site backed up to the woods, so it was nice.

The tent (no electric) sites are the best in my opinion. Most are back in the woods and shaded. I don’t believe you can reserve a specific tent site, as they assign you one when you arrive, but there were so many great tent sites, i don’t think it would be a problem unless it was a super busy weekend. Most of the tent sites are walk in also, so if you have a rooftop tent, or car camping, these won’t work.

A loop seemed to have larger, wooded, sites with more privacy. B loop was wide open. The tent sites were great in both loops though.

The restrooms were ancient. They could use some updates, but they were clean and functional, and there were multiple facilities throughout the campground.

There’s a camp store at the check in area, they have the essentials, and they do have ice. The ladies working in there were really nice and helpful too.

Oak Mountain is a great spot to camp, just go when there’s not a heat wave in Alabama, and you have time to explore the park!

Primative Gem

If you enjoy being in the woods alone, and free camping, this is the spot for you! We camped one night at the Hollins WMA camping area, and we were literally the only people there! I imagine it might be different during hunting season, but we stayed a night in early August and we were all alone!

We arrived at the campground late, as we were just looking for a place to camp for one night on our way to another campground, luckily the directions link on The Dyrt lead us right to it, via google maps. There is a Christmas tree farm at the entrance of the WMA, so when you see it, you’re close to the entrance, and the campground is a couple miles in, just keep going until you see the sign.

The camp is truly primative, however the road was in good shape, and the area is great. Lots of level spots, you can see the remnants of campfires, but it appeared as if no one has been there for some time. There’s no restrooms, water, electric, etc, but nature! Which is way better, if u ask me!

This spot was definitely one of the nicest free camping spots we’ve been to. Didn’t see any trash, and there were so many level spots to choose from. Really a great spot for us!

Loads of fun and history!

This place has a heartfelt history with the Indians and loads of stuff to do! There is a petting zoo, hiking trails, campgrounds, swimming spots, train to ride, and during the winter they have a light show!

Nice place but water isnt the cleanest

Nice sites to drive on.

Tallest point in Ala.

Lots of trails and overlooks. Had lunch in the restaurant overlooking the area. The restrooms are very clean and nice. We stayed 2 nights in a travel trailer

Amazing

Great Campgrounds and so much to do in the park. Great hiking trails and amazing views!! I come to Cheaha several times a month just to take pictures and find peace. I always look forward to coming up there.

Best first camping trip ever

We booked last minute hoping to squeeze in a camping trip, our 2yo first camping trip. We haven’t been camping in years but instantly impressed by this park. Very well maintained. Some of the nicest bath houses I’ve ever been in. Clean, ac and working.

We stayed at c99 which was a perfect spot for tents and kids. We were on a wedge between a water cove the bathrooms and the playground. Perfect location. The kids would play at the water, feeding fish or ducks and the adults would do the chores they needed too. The donut truck also shows up at the playground every morning. The big beach is a little walk (2-3blocks) but it’s worth it! There is a snack shack with pizza sandwiches burgers and ice cream, a zip line and the silo tower to explore.

The playground is practically brand new and huge. All the kids loved this. There is put put, kona ice and boat rentals.

The park seemed like it was at 90% capacity but you wouldn’t know it. It felt like a handful of people were at the beach and the playground, etc.

Definitely will be back soon.

Clean, friendly and well maintained

The grounds are well maintained and the staff is on top of things. Great location on the lake, close to everything. So close you don’t even need to leave the RV park to see the frequent fireworks or the huge pelican gatherings.

❤️

LOVED this place will be making this a tradition

Amazing sight right in Gadsden AL

We were pleased with the setup of this park and of course the beautiful Noccalula Waterfall!! We did a Girls trip with my 11 year old daughter and her friend. We loved the hiking down to the beach of the falls as well as finding the secret path to the rocks behind the falls. It’s beautiful and a great trip for children, youth, teens and adults! The Waterfall is definitely an AL Bucket List item, everyone should see. Nice park, and exceptional campgrounds. Loved it All!!