Talladega National Forest, ALABAMA

Camping Alabama Talladega National Forest
Most Recent Talladega National Forest Camping Reviews
Lower Camp area Fantastic! Brand New!

The drive in is 12 mile of twists and turns, ups and downs, and worth the drive. We were greeted with a knowing staff and great directions to the lower camp area. We looked over the lodge and it will be a place to visit when we are not camping. The lower camp are is brand new and the bathrooms are clean and large. Our camp site was level and a pull through. Great place.

Free and Secluded

This place is freaking awesome!!! This campground is specifically for use during hunting season but was a perfect place for a free stay on our way down to the beach at Dauphin Island. This is a dispersed campground with absolutely zero facilities. What you bring in is what you have. There was literally not a single soul in this campground other than us. I would imagine you don’t get many people camping back in here unless it is hunting season or the occasional camper trying to sneak away for a quiet weekend getaway. I hesitated to even post this campground because it is such a hidden gem. It is a bit off the beaten path in some WMA ground but well worth the drive if you want the privacy. You will drive past a very large Christmas tree farm as well on your way into it. Signage for the campground is minimal so be sure to use your GPS and enjoy!

Free and Secluded

Fun time

We have been here at Greensporte RV for 63 days and having a great time. The wife and I have been enjoying the pool and talking to the other guests. I’ve been boating and fishing. There’s plenty to do. Don’t forget crappie fishing is just around the corner.

Great time

Rode motorcycles up from Florida panhandle for some reflection time. Offers all different options of camping. Has bathrooms, showers and a lake there is plenty of things to do. I intend to go back when I have more time. Great place to rest.

Super spot

Robert Patterson is a courteous man Very helpful. His place also has a small fishing pond, dock,pet area, sitting areas all over. Laundry. We returned several times

Closed till further notice

Sure hate that they closed it up. They have a nice lake and pool. Said they might reopen in a year.

Beautiful views

This campground is park of the Noccalula park system and a great weekend get away. Located on what we call “The Mountain” it sits next the Noccalula falls and the gorge with trails for hiking, bike riding and running. The camp ground is very clean and people are very nice

Great Weekend Getaway

Site had plenty of room to stretch out with the fire ring being 20 feet away from the RV. Created several outdoor spaces and was a nice change from other super cramped RV sites at other campgrounds. Power was stable and water was clean. Several bath houses through the campground. Super close to mountain bike trails and kayak put ins. Friendly staff. Only negatives were ants on the campsite and the dumpsters were really far away. We’ve made plans to comeback next year.

Excellent stop for the night!!

We were looking for a spot to pull over for the night on the way back from a family vacation. This place is conveniently right off the interstate, but still tucked away enough that it's quiet. Booking was extremely easy on the website -- though when I would refresh the site it did give me different prices each time. It was $35 total (including all taxes) for full hookups, water, & sewer. Each site includes a picnic table. We were in site 26. Very level, right by the pool, and still has a view of the lakes. Entire campground and pool area were very clean!

I wouldn't call this a "resort" or plan to vacation here, but it was a great place to stop for the night and work for the day. At&t and Verizon both had strong signals here. We didn't check for any wifi.

Family vacation

We

WWe stayed on one of the cabins and for about a week. This place has amazing views from the park and drive in. It has long, short, easy and difficult trails. A big variety for all. The restaurant has good floor for an affordable price and it also has an amazing view. I would recommend this park to any family.

Peaceful place to crash

Nice spread out campsites.

Great amenities, little privacy

Tons of things to do. Many great playgrounds, beach swimming, pier fishing, etc. However, campsites were ridiculously close together. Girl at the office was supposed to call when our site was ready, then never called. It would have helpful if she had mentioned that there was a code on our paperwork needed to get through the gate.

Huge park, lots to do!

Oak Mountain State Park is Alabama’s largest state park. Located just outside of Birmingham, it’s easy to escape to nature without being too far off the beaten path. This park is HUGE! There’s so many things to do here, we plan to return when we have more time to explore!

We saw several hiking trails, a horseback riding area, a golf course, a lake with a beach and swimming area, plus kayak and boats, we also saw some kind of skiing tow rope area! It was really cool, I’d never seen one of those! I read the park is known for mountain biking also, and I noticed a few road bikes in the bike lane driving in.

We originally booked a tent site without electric, but it was blazing hot, so we decided to move to a site with electric so we could have fans in our rooftop tent and ended up in site A06. The site was shaded and there was no one in that area so we had great privacy. Our site backed up to the woods, so it was nice.

The tent (no electric) sites are the best in my opinion. Most are back in the woods and shaded. I don’t believe you can reserve a specific tent site, as they assign you one when you arrive, but there were so many great tent sites, i don’t think it would be a problem unless it was a super busy weekend. Most of the tent sites are walk in also, so if you have a rooftop tent, or car camping, these won’t work.

A loop seemed to have larger, wooded, sites with more privacy. B loop was wide open. The tent sites were great in both loops though.

The restrooms were ancient. They could use some updates, but they were clean and functional, and there were multiple facilities throughout the campground.

There’s a camp store at the check in area, they have the essentials, and they do have ice. The ladies working in there were really nice and helpful too.

Oak Mountain is a great spot to camp, just go when there’s not a heat wave in Alabama, and you have time to explore the park!

Primative Gem

If you enjoy being in the woods alone, and free camping, this is the spot for you! We camped one night at the Hollins WMA camping area, and we were literally the only people there! I imagine it might be different during hunting season, but we stayed a night in early August and we were all alone!

We arrived at the campground late, as we were just looking for a place to camp for one night on our way to another campground, luckily the directions link on The Dyrt lead us right to it, via google maps. There is a Christmas tree farm at the entrance of the WMA, so when you see it, you’re close to the entrance, and the campground is a couple miles in, just keep going until you see the sign.

The camp is truly primative, however the road was in good shape, and the area is great. Lots of level spots, you can see the remnants of campfires, but it appeared as if no one has been there for some time. There’s no restrooms, water, electric, etc, but nature! Which is way better, if u ask me!

This spot was definitely one of the nicest free camping spots we’ve been to. Didn’t see any trash, and there were so many level spots to choose from. Really a great spot for us!

Loads of fun and history!

This place has a heartfelt history with the Indians and loads of stuff to do! There is a petting zoo, hiking trails, campgrounds, swimming spots, train to ride, and during the winter they have a light show!

Nice place but water isnt the cleanest

Nice sites to drive on.

Tallest point in Ala.

Lots of trails and overlooks. Had lunch in the restaurant overlooking the area. The restrooms are very clean and nice. We stayed 2 nights in a travel trailer

Amazing

Great Campgrounds and so much to do in the park. Great hiking trails and amazing views!! I come to Cheaha several times a month just to take pictures and find peace. I always look forward to coming up there.

Best first camping trip ever

We booked last minute hoping to squeeze in a camping trip, our 2yo first camping trip. We haven’t been camping in years but instantly impressed by this park. Very well maintained. Some of the nicest bath houses I’ve ever been in. Clean, ac and working.

We stayed at c99 which was a perfect spot for tents and kids. We were on a wedge between a water cove the bathrooms and the playground. Perfect location. The kids would play at the water, feeding fish or ducks and the adults would do the chores they needed too. The donut truck also shows up at the playground every morning. The big beach is a little walk (2-3blocks) but it’s worth it! There is a snack shack with pizza sandwiches burgers and ice cream, a zip line and the silo tower to explore.

The playground is practically brand new and huge. All the kids loved this. There is put put, kona ice and boat rentals.

The park seemed like it was at 90% capacity but you wouldn’t know it. It felt like a handful of people were at the beach and the playground, etc.

Definitely will be back soon.

Clean, friendly and well maintained

The grounds are well maintained and the staff is on top of things. Great location on the lake, close to everything. So close you don’t even need to leave the RV park to see the frequent fireworks or the huge pelican gatherings.

❤️

LOVED this place will be making this a tradition

Amazing sight right in Gadsden AL

We were pleased with the setup of this park and of course the beautiful Noccalula Waterfall!! We did a Girls trip with my 11 year old daughter and her friend. We loved the hiking down to the beach of the falls as well as finding the secret path to the rocks behind the falls. It’s beautiful and a great trip for children, youth, teens and adults! The Waterfall is definitely an AL Bucket List item, everyone should see. Nice park, and exceptional campgrounds. Loved it All!!

Great campground with lots to do in park

We stayed here for Camp-o-ween. Campers really got into decorating for the trick or treaters. Lots of fun activities planned by the park in the campground and around the park. Lots of variety in the sites for tent and RV campers.

Pine Glen Talladega NF

Pine Glen is my favorite campground in this region of Alabama. It is fairly remote and has few amenities. (vault toilets and trash cans but nothing else at time of writing.) Shoal Creek runs right past the campground, giving a pleasant white noise at night, and it is situated in a glen of pine trees. It is open with little underbrush, but the sites are spaced out enough to have some privacy. The Pinhoti Trail runs straight through the campground and provides hiking opportunities, and if you are willing to drive a little while there is a lot to do in the area.

Paradise point

I loved the campground. My wife and kids were safe while I was away. The staff was more than awesome. They were very flexible working with me

Oak mountain

Small sites Very long drive into the campsite. Some like the drive it wasn’t for us. Otherwise it was a really neat with bike trails wakeboard park fishing, golf, horseback stuff. Neat for a week stay or passing through

Wind creek

I love this park. Super friendly staff Storm shelter Zip line Boat rentals Restaurant Beach’s on the lake Boat ramp Places were alittle tight but was worth it. Little bit noisy at night but not unbearable. Also understandable bc there are over 500 spots. I spent 2 months there and loved everyday. We hated to leave

Semiprimitive camping

We stayed at campsite 117. Water spigot at site. Picknick table and fireplace. Lots of trees for hammocks. A few rocks on the ground and mostly level. The park has 4 separate camping areas, this one has no showers but flush toilets with sink at the picnic pavilion. This area is on an inclined road, just something to keep in mind when walking it up and down to pool area, campstore or bathrooms. Bigfoot trail start at the last campsite. About every 5th site has power, 117 has not. Sunrise and sunsets are both viewable since this campground area is right on top of the park. Easy access to secured trash cans. Fenced in dog park is located near the top of the road near the bathrooms. Overall very clean sites. Some are more level than others. They allowed us to check in early (11am) since the site was unoccupied. All trails are very short (0.5-1mile). Longer trails are accessible via a short car ride. Pool is available to all campers; clean and cool with restrooms. Staff was very friendly. Fire trucks rolled through in the mornings checking sites.