the dyrt
West Point Lake, ALABAMA
Most Recent West Point Lake Camping Reviews
Love this campground!

It's our favorite place to get away. Very peaceful. The sites are spacious with the most privacy we've ever experienced at a campground.

Mostly RV’s

Mostly RV’s but two different open fields for tent-hammock camping. Potable water, small store and pool on the grounds. Quite campground.

Spring Break

Great place, enough to keep the kids busy!

Great get away

This place isn’t fancy but it is a military owned campground. With that being said, sure I’ve been to far better places! But for the price it’s totally worth it! You have amazing fishing, and a beautiful lake there! And the boat rentals from the place are literally half the price of any civilian rental place! Yes there are snakes and bugs there…. but you are in the outdoors… soooo it should be expected…best part for me was there was only a few people out there.. I like the quietness when I go camping. I went to a few of the beaches and didn’t see any trash and it seemed clean to me. I say go check it out for your self. A weekend outdoors is always better than a weekend indoors!

Beautiful views

We arrived in March 2019 to be some of the first campers at the newly renovated Lower Campground. If the views are this good her, I cannot imagine what they will be like when the finish the Upper Campground. All sites level and clean. Most have gravel, some have concrete pads. Bathhouse was sparkling clean and well done. Staff was amazing and the ranger stopped by several times to check on us and get feedback. Wonderful, well managed park. Would hope all Alabama Parks are managed as well.

Great campground

Good site, plenty of room for rv with fire pit and grill. Nice shady spot. Great hike to an amazing g fall close by, and dont hesitate to venture further for other waterfalls. On thing I would say was not so great, laundry space and bathrooms could use update.

Beautiful and quite.

This place is a great place for family reunions or birthday parties. They even do Easter egg hunts every year. Also, for those that are into Geocashing, there are a few you could find here. This place has some nice trails and plenty of pavilions for large groups. You can tent camp or bring your RV. They have access to the Chattahoochie River for kayaking and fishing as well. This is a beautiful and quite place to enjoy some time in the sun.

Basically a “little hole in the wall”

This place is small but has a lot to offer. They have RV hookups and putt putt golf. They offer cabin rentals and a lake “beach” for swimming and paddle boat rentals. I usually come here to grill out for family events and to do some fishing. Not a bad little place to visit.

Great campground on Lake Martin

Located on Lake Martin with lots of space and many lake front sites as well as interior sites. Plenty of Great bath house facilities throughout. Lots of activities, family and dog friendly too. Not many people this time of year, which we like. Good hiking trails, Fishing, archery, playgrounds, all kinds of water sports. Take the time to visit this State Park.

Get away from it all...without getting too far away

Secluded and quiet, but 10 minutes from anything you forgot to bring. Ideal for RV'ing, this place is good for picnics, hiking, or just peaceful reflection. Tent camping is also available.

A little hidden beauty

It’s been raining the whole weekend. Even so, this campground is a beautiful place. The only problems we have had: 1: buildings are not marked. It was hard to determine what was a private cabin vs bath house. 2: (this is a fellow camper issue not campground) someone with a large dog was just letting it run amuck! That is what ruins “pet friendly “ places. Lease your babies!!!
Like I said, this place is a beautiful campground. Definitely deserves a repeat visit!

Beautiful views/highest point in Alabama

My husband and I tent camped at Cheaha State Park in February,2019 as part of our quest to hike the highest point in every state. This park is probably much better for those not tent camping. First the store and staff are AWESOME! We had to change our stay to one night vs two due to the upcoming storm, no, problem. The hiking trails are great and the views are awesome. I think we were the only tent campers in the park. The actual site had no level ground to pitch our tent, we even tried a separate site since we were the only ones there, but no luck. The bathrooms had no shower, otherwise nice. The highest point is actually in the park, so it wasn’t much of a hike, but there is a nice tower and a museum that has much of the history of CCC. There are Pavillions and a restaurant on site. We couldn’t decide between 3 and 4 stars, but for tent campers we chose 3 due to reasons stated.

A Small but Beautiful Park

Chewacla State Park is adjacent to Auburn, AL, and it stays busy due to the proximity of the school and city. I stayed twice for a geology class and found the campsites and amenities to be wonderful. The trails around the park and not very extensive, however there are mountain biking trails covering most of the park. The main hiking trail runs down to a small waterfall where you can spread out and roam as you please. Both times I visited it was very busy, but that did little to detract from the experience. Just don't visit with the intent of seclusion.

Cold and Windy, but Quiet & Relaxing

3 night stay at the upper improved campground (lower improved was closed for winter maintenance). Sites are large but some are not very level, so have leveling gear ready. More pull thru sites here than I’ve seen at any other campground. Cellphone coverage with Verizon is spotty for the most part and nonexistent in some areas. No WiFi available. Bathhouse is very clean. When making your online reservation, the red boxes on the campground map are not the bathhouses. The single bathhouse is more centrally located in the Upper Improved Campground if you are one to choose a site based on its distance to the bathhouse. The park recently cut down many trees from storm damage, so there is a lot of free wood for the taking if you want to put in a little work to cut it up. Camp store has very basic, convenient store type, selection. Closest real grocery store is about 25 minutes from the park. Lots of hiking in the park and surrounding National Forest. And they have a dog park to let you furry friends run loose for a little bit. Primitive camping, cabins, and hotel also available in the park.

Hiking

Decent hiking. Trails aren’t very difficult, pet friendly.

nice quiet state park

nice new state park along the Chatahoochee River. walk in sites along the river are nice and quiet. 2 campground loops can get full on weekends in season but a pretty quiet place usually. they have just built cabins this year.

Beautiful park... camp store a little weak

Hiking in the area is amazing!!’ The campground is nice… a lot pull through spots. No wifi or cell service; but we loved being disconnected. Recommend starting at Cheaha Trailhead and catch Cave Creek Trail to Pinhoti back to the parking lot… views are amazing.

Group Backpacking Site

This is a backcountry site right along the trail that you pass a minute or two before you get to the Blue Mountain Shelter. I have linked to that review and I highly suggest checking it out first since it covers some of the directions for hiking into this area. This specific site is more suited for groups however since it has multiple flat areas for lots of tents and several fire pits if you want to spread out. You can set up camp here and hike further on to get to some of the nearby viewpoints which are well worth the trek. This site isn’t that special but practical if you need the space and want to have a nice jumping off point to see some of the other sites in the area.

Keep hiking

Update for my most recent visit: I would first go check out my video review of this site below since it will help you get an idea of what is available and help you understand how the space is set up. I also have several videos attached that show some of the more confusing trail components so you don’t get lost. This is the closest campground to the trailhead and my least favorite of the options in the park. I would really only stay here if you are in a pinch and need a last minute flat site to pitch a tent.

Another backcountry site

I would first go check out my video review of this site below since it will help you get an idea of what is available and help you understand how the space is set up. I also have several videos attached that show some of the more confusing trail components so you don’t get lost. This is a backpacking site that is right alongside the trail and pretty easy to find. It has a little more space than the first one you pass so would be a better option if you are in a group of more than 2. However, since it is right along the trail you wont have the same privacy. There is a small (read very small seasonal) stream a short ways further down the trail but don’t count on this so fill up whenever you pass a stream earlier or go further along where you will pass additional fill up sites. Check out my other reviews of Cheaha for more info on backpacking here.

Backpacking site

I would first go check out my video review of this site below since it will help you get an idea of what is available and help you understand how the space is set up. I also have several videos attached that show some of the more confusing trail components so you don’t get lost. This is a nice site slightly off of the main trail that is well organized for a single backpacker or a very small group. Previous hikers have built up a firepit and also a wooden “bench” type thing that works best for organizing your gear on. This site is easily missed when going along the trail since it requires taking a small path to get to that is overgrown in the summertime. However it is a wonderful option only a couple miles into the trail so I would check it out if you are on your own. There is not easily available water near the site so fill up whenever you pass a stream earlier or go further along where you will pass additional fill up sites. Check out my other reviews of Cheaha for more info on backpacking here.

Rude employees

Chewacla State Park near Auburn, Alabama was a nice place with some old architecture and nice mountain bike trails.

At the front gate the employee was so busy talking to his friend, possibly another employee, that he couldn’t be bothered to answer any questions. Then his friend felt the need to tell me make sure my dogs were on leashes in a totally snarky voice/attitude. When I stated my dogs would be leashed she said “yeah that’s what they always say”. That could have ruined the whole visit.

I attempted to have an enjoyable time exploring the trails and area and soon forgot about the evil female at the front gate. I really like the old bridges along the roadway and trails. I missed the falls :( The original CCC cabins are renovated and still in use.

The lake is pieceful due in part to only non-motorized vehicles permitted. There is a nice beach area with sand and pavilion.

The campground has an old showerhouse but it was in good repair. Not totally creepy at night. The sites are level and shady and depending on which site you get mostly private. The tent area sits between the two RV loops.

Amazing

It was awesome. The trails are well marked and easy to follow. The river is beautiful and the overlook towers were a nice touch. Being able to lay in the hammock right next to the water was perfect. The campsites are flat and easy to get in and out of especially with large 5th wheel campers. The tent sites can be right up front or just off the beaten path. I really appreciate the choice. The picnic areas are perfect for the whole family and the boat ramp is well maintained. I will be a frequent visitor.

Solitude

Sprewell Bluff Park was an excellent pit stop when we passed through the area. I wish we had scheduled more days there instead of just an overnight. This will be on our list to visit again.

There is an overlook as soon as you enter the park across from the office. Next along the road is the campground.

Reserve ahead because there are only 6 RV sites .(6 cabins too) Shade, a limited view and some privacy.

The Flint river is the nice thing about this park, though the trails are definitely worth exploring.

The picnic and general visitors area by the river was busy when we arrived but we still had plenty of area to explore. The trail was not being used , everyone was in the water or at the pavilion. I did not check on watercraft rentals for the area but there was a boatramp on site and a few kayaks were in the water.

We spent all our time at the general visitors area enjoying the river. When we visit again I want to try out the trails that from the map look like they offer some good views and climb. Pack your water shoes, the rocks are slippery and your toes will thank you. We waded all along the area and there were several people jumping from a large rock in the deeper water.

The campground was quiet and felt very “isolated” after dark, a chance to feel like your in the middle of nowhere with a view.

Convenient to home

It’s a decent park. We camped on the raised platforms by the river. The other campgrounds are away from the river back in the woods. The tent sites are a bit too close together for my liking. The facilities are taken care of and kept up, but my idea of hiking is a bit more than just a walk through the woods- not a whole lot of elevation change on the trails, as you are not in the mountains. I would stay there again, though.

Ranger Review: ROM Pack at Blue Mountain Shelter

Campground Review:

Since I have reviewed many of the backpacking routes in the Cheaha area I would first recommend taking a look at some of the other campground reviews in this area. This shelter is actually along a new trail for me where the Pinhoti heads North from the Cheaha Trailhead on 281. The parking lot has a beautiful entrance archway then heads away from the road before splitting. Take your first right then when the trail splits again take another right. I have a video attached showing the turns. You then continue for about .5 miles before crossing back over the road and following the ridge for a while. After going a little more than 2 miles you will reach a sign that directs you to the shelter. You can’t miss the wooden structure a few yards down the path.

Most of the camping along the Pinhoti is classic semi-flat backcountry sites with a small fire pit and not much else. So when we came across this amazing shelter we were thoroughly impressed. It has a large area on the first floor where you could set up several sleeping bags and then there is an additional closed off area in the loft that is dark and dingy but very clean and perfect if the weather is ugly. The site also has a HUGE firepit which seemed a little overkill but could be nice if you have a large group. Finishing off the amenities is a picnic table and several cleared out tent areas. Make sure to check out my video to get a full idea of how this site is set up and if it would be a good place for you to stay.

……………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to try out new and interesting products at campgrounds I visit. On this trip, I tried out the RoM Pack. My takeaways from using the combo backpack, poncho, picnic blanket are:

1. The backpack works incredibly well for what it is designed to do. If you are going to be carrying your things somewhere where you will then unpack and hang out for a while this piece of gear does exactly what you need. It held all the items we needed for the day of hiking including a hammock, water bottles, food, and small items (phone, wallet, keys, etc.) and still had plenty of internal space to spare. When we arrived at the campground we set up and unpacked then took apart the backpack so that we could use the blanket to sit on. I can imagine in the future this pack also being very useful for keeping in the car when any one of its uses might come up.
  2. It is very comfortable to hike with. I found the strap design and layout to fit comfortably on my chest. They are highly adjustable for different sized individuals. The one criticism I had of the straps is that the cross chest straps are a little too long and I had trouble getting it tight enough since I am a relatively small person. Overall though I didn’t have much shifting around while hiking.
  3. Included with a backpack was a small drawstring bag that is designed to fit inside the larger pack and hold your gear when using the pack as a poncho or blanket. I found this to work ok but felt it was a little unnecessary since anytime I would plan to take about the pack I would want to be at my final destination where I would be ok just taking out my gear.

Overall, I would say this pack has a few very specific applications and it performs really well for all those situations. Worth checking out if you want to have a multipurpose backup bag in the car or are often in a situation where you are hiking in to picnic locations.

Good value for the money

Lots of campsites, fishing, pavillions and bath houses. Sites for tents and RV's. Conveniently located near Alexander City in case you forgot anything. Loaded with activities for the whole family, fishing, water sports, hiking, geocaching, or just relaxing in the shade, this place has pretty much everything.

Secluded yet convenient

Even though you are technically within the city limits of Auburn, you really feel like you are away from it all. Perfect for camping with the Boy Scouts or just a day of hiking with the family, there is something for everyone here. Covered pavilions, fishing, hiking, camping, bike trails, you name it, there is something for everyone. My preference is to hike, but if camping is your thing, there are plenty of options, from primitive camping to RV spots. Try this hidden gem!

Cheaha State Park: Absolutely Amazing!

A few weeks back, I had a few days off during the week and decided to make a quick trip up for a few days of camping. After viewing some of the campsites online and reading a few reviews on here, I decided to stay at a semi-primitive site inside the park. My initial concern was the location of the semi-primitive sites, as they were located right off the road. However, I found that this wasn't much of an issue since I was the only one in that entire area for 90% of my trip.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and quickly set up my site. Each one features a stone fire ring, a picnic table, and a space to park right next to your campsite. Restrooms are located a short walk up the road and are attached to a large covered pavilion with plenty of picnic tables and a large stone fireplace on each end. The restrooms were clean and well maintained, but do not contain shower facilities on the semi-primitive loop. There are showers available in the RV section of the park, but they would require driving (or a long walk) to reach them. Select sites have outlets or water spigots at the road.

Unlike Oak Mountain, which is centrally located and a short driving distance from pretty much everything, Cheaha State park is pretty isolated. Unless you plan on eating at the restaurant or getting small items from the park store, you'd need to bring any food or other items you may need.

When making reservations online, you can view each campsite and read a brief description for each one. Some of the semi-primitive sites are really small and close to the road, so I highly recommend viewing each site when making your online reservations to make sure you get something that suits your needs.

Basically, this place is great! There's plenty to do and as always, the online registration process was quick and easy. The views along the Pinhoti are amazing and the waterfalls were quiet and relaxing. In the early morning hours, deer would wander thru the campsites and I saw tons of interesting wildlife while out on the trails. If you're a mountain biker, the Cheaha Express trail head is right up from the semi-primitive area, and the Pinhoti trailhead is only a half mile from the campground. All in all, it's definitely worth the trip.

Lake, Hiking, Rock Climbing - Family Friendly

Wind Creek is a big, busy campground located right on the shores of Martin Lake outside of Alexander City. There is a ton to explore from canoeing and kayaking to hiking and rock climbing. We would definitely visit this campground again!