About Dauphin Island City Park
County
Hike In
Dauphin Island City Park is located in Alabama
11 Reviews of Dauphin Island City Park
One of the best beaches I’ve ever been to

This campground is a hidden gem for those looking for a beach campground. There were less than 10 people at anytime on the beach the 4 days we were down here. The beach is a 5 minute walk or 2 minute bike ride from the tent sights and extremely secluded. You can walk to the beach or directly into an enormous bird sanctuary that has literally hundreds of species of birds. Bathrooms and facilities were clean, well kept and plentiful. I would like to come back to this campground with our pop-up instead of roof top tent just to have some AC at night. There is also a historical battle sight/fort and aquarium all within walking or bike riding distance. There are also numerous outstanding seafood restaurants nearby. Had arguably the best crab legs I’ve ever had in my entire life down here.

I would have given this campground 5 stars except we had an experience with a creepy homeless dude that wouldn’t leave us alone. The campground did have him arrested and taken off sight. And my only other complaint would be the check-in/departure process being super slow due to paper files and no technology to expedite the process. I would most certainly recommend checking this place out if you are looking for an affordable beach getaway!

I would have given this

Beautiful Island

Dauphin Island is an amazing place! The island is not very large, but has lots to do. There are several good restaurants, ice cream shops, a great seafood market called Skinners, where you can order fresh seafood from the steamer (we ordered crab legs twice during our stay 😋), parks, bike paths across the entire island, great fishing, a bird sanctuary, an Estuarium (similar to an aquarium), and beautiful white sand beaches, just to name a few!

We stayed at the Dauphin Island Campground in the tent area on site 8. The check in process was fairly time consuming , as it is all written out by hand. Check out is the same way, and they don’t take online reservations. The people in the office are amazing though, so it was ok!

The campground map is not accurate for site selection. We were first given site 5, which looked great on the map, but was not great for our rooftop tent. Also, there is no way to see the ocean from ANY site, so don’t think you’ll have ocean view. On the map I thought we might be able to have a glimpse of the Gulf, but not so. Site 8 was perfect for us, nice shady spot with view of the trees in the bird sanctuary. All tent sites have water and electric hookups. They do not allow anything to be hung from trees, including hammocks, so bring hammock stand if you plan to use them.

The RV sites are all pretty close to each other. The row nearest the bay has water views, but is also next to the road and auto ferry. Several long time residents stay at this campground, Possibly seasonal.

The restrooms/bathhouse was immaculate! They have a designated cleaning at 9-9:30 daily, and they were in excellent shape. There’s also laundry facilities on site. There’s a camp store, and a fish cleaning station, and playground as well.

Beach access is in the back of the campground near the tent sites, we took our bikes and that was the best way to get there. It took us less than a minute to be on the beach. The beach was fairly empty and that’s what we loved the most! Like having our own private beach. Take a cart to haul your chairs, umbrella, etc, or plan on packing it on your back like we did. The people who were fishing were catching fish the whole time, so if you enjoy fishing, this is a great spot.

We absolutely LOVED Dauphin Island, and will definitely return, but if we come back in the summer, we will bring the pop up tent so we can have A/C, as it is blazing hot!

Nice beach access

But, the RV section was very cramped. We were shocked by how close everyone was. Check-in, even with paying in advance, took forever since it is all done manually (i.e., handwriting EVERYTHING). No technology to speak of…even on-line reservations are non-existent. Staff was nice and accommodating, and bath house was new and clean. We only stayed a weekend. There's no way we would stay any longer than that being squeezed in there like sardines. If that doesn't bother you, then it's a great place to stay.

Great campsite right beside the beach

We camped a week in the tent sites. Very clean. Great bathrooms. Great staff. 24 hour access to the beach, which is just a short stroll away. Good hiking trails. I would highly recommend and we will go again!

Simple

Clead water, nice bathrooms, lovely family spot

Easy beach access

You are a ten minute walk from the beach through part of the bird sanctuary. The campsites are large, big enough to fit a 10 person tent. Each has an electric hook up. A great place to visit.

Great for birding and beaching!

Anyone interested in birding should definitely take a trip to Dauphin Island. Everyone is very friendly and theres a great beach as well to relax and go for a swim. Definitely was very hot when we went in April so make sure to bring lots of water and sunscreen.

Great place to be!

This is a very nice park, split between an RV section and a camping section. Firepits available, a playground for kiddies, basic bathrooms, and a short walk to the beach!

What more could you need?

Man the ramparts

If you like your history this part if the park is for you. Fort Gaines is cool to explore and travel back to the Civil War , give the kids some history with their day at the beach.

Beautiful little oasis

Such a beautiful little getaway when my family and I have visited this city park there was little to no people around us and it was like her own little getaway I highly recommend it