Keystone Lake, ALABAMA
Most Recent Keystone Lake Camping Reviews
Camping on Lake Harden

Very nice camp ground owned by Ga Power! It is taken very good care of! Right on the lake!

Right on the Chattahoochee River

This is a boater campground and marina. It is nice and flat, with sand sites. Water and electric at the sites sites, plus a dump station. We ended up near the campground dumpster so it wasn’t pleasant. It is a short drive to Providence Canyon State Park. There were armadillo in the woods, and blue birds. There is a museum, but it was closed when we were there. There are many nicer State Parks in Georgia!

Beautiful hike

We did not camp here, just hiked part of the loop. There is a great picnic area at the top with a playground and a fantastic view.

As for the actual hike, make sure to bring bug spray, water, and tons of sunscreen. Also if it’s rained anytime recently, make sure you know how to get orange clay out of your clothing!

Mostly RV’s

Mostly RV’s but two different open fields for tent-hammock camping. Potable water, small store and pool on the grounds. Quite campground.

Great campground

Good site, plenty of room for rv with fire pit and grill. Nice shady spot. Great hike to an amazing g fall close by, and dont hesitate to venture further for other waterfalls. On thing I would say was not so great, laundry space and bathrooms could use update.

Get away from it all...without getting too far away

Secluded and quiet, but 10 minutes from anything you forgot to bring. Ideal for RV'ing, this place is good for picnics, hiking, or just peaceful reflection. Tent camping is also available.

Great veiw

Many campsites are directly on the lake. Very spacious lots. Not far to town.

A little hidden beauty

It’s been raining the whole weekend. Even so, this campground is a beautiful place. The only problems we have had: 1: buildings are not marked. It was hard to determine what was a private cabin vs bath house. 2: (this is a fellow camper issue not campground) someone with a large dog was just letting it run amuck! That is what ruins “pet friendly “ places. Lease your babies!!!
Like I said, this place is a beautiful campground. Definitely deserves a repeat visit!

A Small but Beautiful Park

Chewacla State Park is adjacent to Auburn, AL, and it stays busy due to the proximity of the school and city. I stayed twice for a geology class and found the campsites and amenities to be wonderful. The trails around the park and not very extensive, however there are mountain biking trails covering most of the park. The main hiking trail runs down to a small waterfall where you can spread out and roam as you please. Both times I visited it was very busy, but that did little to detract from the experience. Just don't visit with the intent of seclusion.

Unique

The canyon is beautiful. However the campsites are in a completely different section of the park. The trail out to the sites is longer than we planned for but we made it work. Unfortunately, you don't go thru or see the canyon on the way to the sites. We checked it out after we hiked out. We did stay at the one site that had a shelter that some boyscouts built. It was very nice!

Hiking

Decent hiking. Trails aren’t very difficult, pet friendly.

Super site!

We were right on the water (11 sites are) lots of things to do. We learned a lot and our youngest earned to Jr. Ranger Patch. Buddy sites to share. Lots of Geocaching!

Rude employees

Chewacla State Park near Auburn, Alabama was a nice place with some old architecture and nice mountain bike trails.

At the front gate the employee was so busy talking to his friend, possibly another employee, that he couldn’t be bothered to answer any questions. Then his friend felt the need to tell me make sure my dogs were on leashes in a totally snarky voice/attitude. When I stated my dogs would be leashed she said “yeah that’s what they always say”. That could have ruined the whole visit.

I attempted to have an enjoyable time exploring the trails and area and soon forgot about the evil female at the front gate. I really like the old bridges along the roadway and trails. I missed the falls :( The original CCC cabins are renovated and still in use.

The lake is pieceful due in part to only non-motorized vehicles permitted. There is a nice beach area with sand and pavilion.

The campground has an old showerhouse but it was in good repair. Not totally creepy at night. The sites are level and shady and depending on which site you get mostly private. The tent area sits between the two RV loops.

Bring your netting

White Oak Creek Campground, is in Alabama…..I obviously missed the State Sign when I crossed the border;)

This was a quiet, low populated area when we traveled through. I should say low people populated, the bug population was booming! Gnats and mosquitoes, I can see why the frog population is so high.

The lake had several signs denoting the presence of alligators. I didn’t see any, but there in lies the problem! I’ve seen to many National Geographic shows where the unsuspecting gnu gets grabbed while try to quench its thirst. So my dogs were not happy with me because they were not permitted in the water. There were people in the beach area and their kids were playing in the water. There were plenty of people out fishing too.

The campground was shaded and I liked the double spots available for people traveling together. Some sites definitely had more privacy then others. When you don’t reserve ahead you get what’s left if anything. The facilities were not new but they were clean and the park was well maintained. This would be a water recreation style camping trip but you could walk or bike the road.

Little Canyon

Providence Canyon State Outdoor Recreation Area is called Georgia’s “little Grand Canyon”.

There is no regular campground but there are 6 backcountry campsites and three pioneer group sites. We visited the pioneer site #3 with enclosed pavilion , grill, picnic tables and restroom facilities. Excellent for large group outings. Reservations online can be for specific pioneer sites. If you reserve a backcountry site it is not specific.

The Canyon offers a lot to explore. Realize you will have sand in everything by the time your done ;).

The Canyon was created by bad farming practices in the 1800 but it now offers some picturesque views. While your hiking the rim you will see some of the “refuse” left on old homesteads, (ie rusted vehicles).

Some of the canyons open up into barren “valleys” others have a LOT of vegetation.

There’s not much nearby so make sure you pack what you need the first time. Bug spray is a must and mosquito screen or netting.

I completed the Canyon Climbers Club this year and this was one of the four canyons to hike. https://gastateparks.org/CanyonClimbersClub

Secluded yet convenient

Even though you are technically within the city limits of Auburn, you really feel like you are away from it all. Perfect for camping with the Boy Scouts or just a day of hiking with the family, there is something for everyone here. Covered pavilions, fishing, hiking, camping, bike trails, you name it, there is something for everyone. My preference is to hike, but if camping is your thing, there are plenty of options, from primitive camping to RV spots. Try this hidden gem!

Quiet and Serene

This was our first trip to Kolomoki Mounds State Park. It was a beautiful quiet park. The walking/hiking trails are nice and relaxing.

The only negative was ants. Be sure to take ant spay with you for your camper tires, etc.

simple and sweet

This place has just what you need. Full hookups and a creek near it. The people that own it are very courteous. It’s affordable.

Beware of the abundance of ants

My husband and I stayed here in May. They weren’t very helpful at all when we got ants from them. They just sprayed even more chemicals that we already tried and called it a day. We had to leave 2 days early. We were staying here to celebrate our marriage with friends and family so we were already stressed. This wasn’t at all what we call a good time.

Very large sites, on a cow farm, quiet and mostly full-timers

Each site is quite large, I’ve never seen such large campsites before. There is a bathhouse and two laundry rooms. It’s on a cow farm, and sometimes the cows get lose but are sweet and generally stay right by the fence anyway. The owners live on property and are very helpful. If you live there full time you can set up your space however you can wish as long as it’s neat.

Providence canyon

The trail started off through a small river, which also looked like a watering hole for the wildlife that lives there. The trail was eey clean with limited people on the trial, we only saw three the entire time there. This is a state park so they have 6 primitive sights with pre-constructed fire pits. This is a great trail for people starting out. The only downside was how many hogs we saw on the trail. We saw a prints and them off in the distance quite a few times, but the morning we were packing out we had to hogs on the trail that seemed pretty aggressive and made us turn around to pack out the other way. I knew there would be a lot of wildlife down there it was in multiple reviews, but the one thing I did not ever read was the viewpoints are only seen from a small section of the trail, I was under the notion there would be a spectacular view for more than half of the hike.

Clean

Every morning for a week we were woke up by lawn crews for during our 4 night stay. Every morning at 8 at they were blowing off the roads, cutting random patches, and other things. The laundry facilities were very convenient. The shower house was clean. We had issues with ants.

awesome

This is a wonderful place to camp with kids!!! So many things for them to do. From climbing the mounds to the awesome playground. We love this place. The staff is very friendly and helpful too.

Scenic great hike

Lots of picnic areas mild hiking. This place is absolutely stunning. You can hike all throughout the canyons. The trails are not really marked but are easy to follow with the trail maps provided in the modest camp store. You can camp in the camp sites or even in the canyons if you pack in. It is a mild to moderate hike and usually a good many people around. The canyons are breathtaking and well worth the hike down to the bottom.

Game day camping

This is a popular RV campground for football fans coming to Auburn Games in the fall. There is very little shade and it is on a busy highway but up off the road a bit. Football fans are notoriously rowdy but this is a more civilized group. Close to the interstate and across the road from Chewakla State Park

Great for a weekend getaway

This campground is great for people that like to fish. Providence canyon is close by which is great!

Is this place still open?

I went here as a kid and the water was as frozen as anything I have ever felt. There was a great old home that served as a centerpiece but then I heard the sprig dried up due to increased development . I would love to hear what others have to say about this place

Backcountry spots available

This is known as the little Grand Canyon and has a few hike in spots. It's very far south so it can get really hot in the summer but a gorgeous destination in fall/ winter

Rent a fishing boat

This is a good fishing destination. Campground has a sandbox and playground but for a little more you can get a hotel room. Boat rentals available for fishing and close to the museum of wonder in seale, alabama