Tuscaloosa, ALABAMA

Most Recent Tuscaloosa Camping Reviews

Lake Lurleen is a beautiful, well kept place to camp. Bathrooms are exceptionally clean. The camp sites are big and well maintained. The only draw back was if you are camped at the bottom and have to do the hill climb in the dark to the rest room.

Army Corps of Engineers site

Secluded campground. Primitive sites. Park host on site.

Cochrane campground USACE

Beautiful secluded campground. Limited sites. First come first serve. Cash or check only. Run by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Great park just needs a little updating

Decent state park hosted by always friendly staff. Large swim beach with bath house and a few small playgrounds scattered throughout. several pavilions that can be reserved for parties. 4 camping sections with power and water, plus a primitive area. only about half have sewer, and even less have 50amp service. sewer sites are near the front of the campground, and one dump station near the back.

campsite sizes vary, and it can be difficult to find a site for larger campers. utility connections aren't always in the most appropriate spot (often need water hose or power cable of 25ft+) most sites do offer plenty of shade or a view of the lake.

Great park but sites are tight

Love Tannehill but the sites in Sec 1 are on top of each other.

The Slums

While the title may scare you away, it was actually quite a nice scene. The lady at the check in told us that’s where the lot we chose was located. We were the only ones who weren’t afraid of the title, so we had it all to ourselves. Clean bathrooms and a Dollar General right down the road. $40 for 1 night with electricity hook up.

Candy mountain

Grounds not kept up Owner was nice Cigarette butts every where in our site along with beer bottle tops. Was not as comfortable as I like to be leaving my wife and children alone there. A friend said his tag was stolen off his rv while there. Same guy also said that the mans bull dog was swimming in the pool when he went.

Tannehill

Very tight spots. Lots of trees though for cover. Tomany things to mention to do at this park, particularly for history buffs. Numerous events held there. We very much enjoyed our stay would go back

Beautiful campground!

We have camped at this park several times. We have always enjoyed our stay. Most of the campsites are tucked away beneath a canopy of trees with nice shade. The bath houses are always clean, as well as the entire campground. It is great for a relaxing weekend getaway.

Beautiful sites and surroundings

Stayed 2 nights on a beautiful site overlooking the lake.  Wish we could have stayed longer.

Beautiful Historic park

Great campsites creek for swimming and if your looking for a sweet treat stop in and grab some ice cream. Bathhouses need attention though wasn’t pleased.

Words really can't describe!

This campground cannot be beat. It is absolutely gorgeous. Sites are kept immaculate. Even the shower house is beautifully built. Babbling brooks are everywhere! And nothing makes a campground more than the camp host themselves. Wonderful people. It is deep in the wilderness so do not expect Wi-Fi or cell signal. It's nearly an hour to town come well-stocked!

Beautiful and quiet

This place was amazing. Watching the sun come up on this lake was so calming. We camped in site 16 and had a good view and a little walk way to the water. I wasn’t impressed with the bathrooms or showers but they were at least clean.

Love !!!

One of our favorite places to camp . Friendly staff , they are very cautious about the rules which I love. Very clean bathhouses, and sites.

Woodsy and quiet

Well-kept grounds and friendly staff. My campsite was near the bathroom/shower which was convenient.  Enjoyed the hillside view I had and the walks in the woods surrounding the campground. My dogs took me for several long walks while we were here. Pull-thru site had a set of steps leading from the parking pad to the 'patio'. Very neat!

Peaceful & Clean

This place is really nice; be sure to check your spot to make sure you can park easily- some sites are difficult for large pull trailers

Great if not in section 1

Section 1 is TIGHT but the remaining loops are great as long as you dont need sewer hookups!!!

Great campground with lots of history

This is a great campground managed by the University of Alabama. It is on the site of the Moundville Indian mound complex, from the Mississippian period.

There are several camp sites, most with electric and water, some have sewer. There is a central bath house, which is closed in winter. However the campground is open all year. There is a dump station as well.

The museum is very interesting and the park offers several events throughout the year based on Native American culture.

Close to home

This is the first time I have stayed at the Army Corps of Engineers park in Forkland. It is near my home so I had been there multiple times but never stayed. It is nice and quiet with many options for activities. Nature/bird trail, playgrounds for the kids, and a boat landing with quick access to the Tombigbee and Black Warrior rivers. There are some great sites right on the water. All the amenities needed at a campground.

One of my favorite campgrounds!

I’ve been camping here 2 or 3 times a year for the past 19 years. Wooded area, spacious campsites, & the cabins are always so clean. Trade days & Halloween are my favorite times to come. A couple of short hiking trails. A lot of history. Ironwork museum I think it’s like $1 or $2 a person & it’s worth walking through.

Quiet and Relaxing

Two night stay on site 39. Love the large sites that are nicely separated from neighboring sites and overlook the water. Friendly staff and clean bathhouse. Only one bathhouse that is centrally located and is a decent walk from some sites. Only limited, easy hiking available in the park. No WiFi, but good cell signal with Verizon throughout the park. No camp store, but convenient and grocery stores about 15 minutes away.

Backpacking near Birmingham

Update for recent visit: Check out my other reviews of Oak Mountain to get an idea of some of the amazing hiking and places to see views. This site is one of four backcountry sites that the park offers. I have been to this one twice now since it is the closest to a parking area so is the most forgiving if you get a late start. The major thing to be aware of is that they do not allow fires at any of these sites so keep that in mind and you will need to either bring in your own water or purify it from one of the small seasonal streams that runs near the site. Overall this is a nice large site and you will definitely have your privacy since they closely regulate who stays at these backcountry locations and only a single group is allowed at each at a time. It is a wonderful place to get away for a night and see the stars.

Quiet

First time here found my new home away from home.

Great campground!

The park manager and workers are so nice and accommodating! I’ve stayed in the cabins and the primitive sites and both had wonderful views of the lake. The hiking trail that loops around the water is beautiful. My dog loves it too! It’s such a great place to go relax, have fun, grill out, and make memories.

GORGEOUS!

This area was absolutely gorgeous. We took a trip to Alabama a few summers ago to visit family, and decided to do some camping and hiking before we went home. The drive was beautiful. The campground itself is located right next to a lake- Demopolis Lake. We later learned that this lake is actually one of the largest lakes that is on the Black Warrior Tombigbee Waterway. Thought this was a cool fact. It was pretty hot, so having this lake was definitely great. There were tons of people out on the lake fishing, swimming, jet skiing and kayaking. There is a boat ramp too. There is also some really great hiking nearby, which we enjoyed in the morning. The hike we did had some amazing views of the Black Warrior River and McConnico Creek. Nothing like getting to the top of a hike and seeing lakes beneath you! The campground was great, and had everything we needed. There were about 40 campsites total, all set up with water hookups. There is a playground onsite, picnic table area, showers, and laundry! Most campgrounds don't off shower and laundry- so this would be a great place to visit if you plan to stay a few nights/weeks. Just FYI- there are gates which open at 6am and close at 10pm. Loved our stay here, and would definitely come back.

This place is awesome! Lots to do and yummy ice cream.

Beautiful historic buildings and a very cold spring fed creek. Great for kids bikes and swimming in the creek. Bathhouses need attention but overall very nice camping place.

Quite Escape

This campground was unique as each site was set into the hills. We had lots of privacy and peaceful quite. They had two play areas with balls and other toys for the kids. It was very clean and friendly.

Beautiful location

Beautiful location but the bathrooms were dirty. It seems we went during a semi busy time. The have lots of spots and most are in the shade. There is a creek to splash in and lots of history to enjoy. There is a nice playground for the kids. Bring lots of bug spray.

Peaceful retreat