The best camping in
Alabama

Camping Alabama

With over 20 state parks, more inland waterways than any other state, and multiple Appalachian peaks, more and more outdoor lovers are turning to Alabama for adventure. While football is still king in this southern state, tourists enjoy the serenity of Alabama's white sand beaches and the thrill found within its carved canyons. So lace up the boots or grab a paddle – it is time to find camping in Alabama!

Alabama's shores have always been a hot spot for southern beach bums, but with the growing popularity of events like Hangout Festival, Gulf Shores is quickly becoming a bucket list destination for many. Fortunately, coastal camping is a reality in the Heart of Dixie.

Beach camping can be one of the most challenging experiences of your life, and simultaneously, the most peaceful. Find camping in Alabama along the sandy coastline of Gulf Shores and wake up to the sound of crashing waves. Warm waters and comfortable year-round temperatures make Gulf Shores a desirable stop for locals and visitors alike.

Looking to escape the crowds? Head north to camp primitively or grab a cabin close to Dismals Canyon. Not only will you find waterfalls and natural bridges at Dismals Canyon, but you can also find "dismalites," a rare fly that emits blue-green light in its larval form. Many explorers tour the canyon at night to catch a once-in-a-lifetime glimpse of this natural light show.

Water lovers might prefer exploring the state by winding through all 631 miles of The Alabama Scenic River Trail instead. As the longest water trail in any single state in the country, this waterway takes paddlers from northeastern Alabama into the Gulf, passing through the heart of the state in the process. With The Dyrt, you can be sure to find the best camping in Alabama along the way.

Recent Reviews in Alabama
Clean quiet campground

We have stayed here many times when were on the road heading  out for the summer.  We had full hook up, a picnic table & there is a small clean restroom near the pool if needed along with a laundry room & place to sit inside if it's hot out.  They have DVD's and some books we trade them where were there. We only stay a night & stay hooked up to the truck. The owners Gigi & her husband work hard to keep the gardens beautiful, the campground maintained & the pool is so clean & refreshing.  You can get propane here.

We've stayed 3 different time & had a nice site towards the back with a garden on the side.

It's off the beaten path a little but well worth it.

Full Service Hookups 30/50 AMP Electrical Service Pull Through Sites Large Sites– plenty of room for slide outs City Water Propane Fill and Exchange Center– 7 days a week Trailer Rentals– Fully Equipped Ice Escort to Site, 24-Hour Laundry Room Clean Showers Free WIFI Hotspot Park-Like Setting– lots of shade trees Walking Trails Swimming Pool~ Seasonal, Picnic Areas Group Fire Ring Gazebo Group Picnic Area.

Great group sites

This area near the waterfall encompasses several sites of varying sizes. They each have their own space but are still visible from each other. They all have easy access to the waterfall and are in such a beautiful area. Check out the video where I show you around a couple of the sites.

Gunter Hill Park - Mid State Gem

Gunter Hill Park is a Corp of Engineers campground just outside of Montgomery, Alabama. Although we have not camped at many COE parks, I can't imagine any of them topping this one! Of the 142 sites, 1-75 are renovated with concrete pads and full hook-ups. We were there in February and the weather was a little wet & cold. Since it wasn't very crowded, only 1 area of campsites was open. Be aware if you're there during a string of heavy rain days as some low lying sites may become flooded. Our site backed up to a point where we could sit and watch the water. However, if we had stayed another day we would have been told to move as more rain was expected and the water levels were rising.

The bathrooms were very clean and well maintained. There were also a few hiking trails and nice paved roads for bikes. I did smell a paper factory in the air while we were there. I've also read that you can hear the race cars from the Montgomery Speedway during racing season from your campsite.

There was a lot to explore around the area as well. We went into Montgomery several times. I recommend checking out the AL Dept of History & Archives free museum. Its very well done and I learned a lot about Alabama. We also visited the Memorial for Peace & Justice along with the Legacy Museum. Both very well done and thought provoking.

For a different setting for a meal, check out the nearby Stockyard Grill. You can go in for a burger and leave with the whole cow!

Beautiful and away from the trail

My wife and I recently got a chance to escape all the craziness of COVID lockdown and take a socially distanced backpacking trip in Talladega National Forest. We took the Chinnabee silent trail from the parking lot along Cheaha rd and camped out in one of the secluded sites next to the falls. The site we stayed at is in the area of Cheaha falls but is behind a couple of other campsites in its own secluded area. You just follow the river upstream to get there. The site is fairly large and big enough for a couple of tents with nice flat cleared out ground. It also has enough tree cover that you get a good bit of privacy and are away from the main trail. It also has a wonderful access point to the water for filling up your bottles or rinsing off after a hot day of hiking. We even found the perfect tree for hanging out food bag. I would definitely suggest visiting in springtime since everything is magical when the plants are blooming and all the wildlife is out and exploring. Also, make sure to continue along the trail for a couple more miles to see the larger falls where you can climb down and get a much-needed swim in the hotter months.

Alternative campground before reaching Pinhoti intersection

My wife and I recently got a chance to escape all the craziness of COVID lockdown and take a socially distanced backpacking trip in Talladega National Forest. We took the Chinnabee silent trail from the parking lot along Cheaha rd and camped out in one of the secluded sites next to the falls. (Check out my other review related to that site) After packing up our site the next morning and loading the gear back in the car we crossed the road and begin heading towards the Turnipseed campground then heading up the hill to the intersection with the Pinhoti Trail. During all my adventures in the area I am trying to categorize and provide info about all the "organized" campsites along these trails to help backpackers better plan their trips. This particular site is a small level area before you begin the final climb up to the trail intersection. It is modestly level and provides a clear space large enough for about a single tent. You will definitely be most comfortable here if you sleep in a hammock but I know that does not work for everyone. You will definitely get better views if you continue on a little further and try to set up at one of the sites along the ridge but in peak season they can fill up quickly and this space works in a pinch. Another disadvantage is that it doesn't have as easy access to water so if you are concerned about that I would make sure to fill up from one of the streams on your way up. Overall, this is not a bad campground and someone had just stayed there recently when we hiked through but it doesn't compete with some of the spectacular views you get up top. The wildlife in springtime cannot be beaten though.

Beautiful in springtime

My wife and I recently got a chance to escape all the craziness of COVID lockdown and take a socially distanced backpacking trip in Talladega National Forest. We took the Chinnabee silent trail from the parking lot along Cheaha rd and camped out in one of the secluded sites next to the falls. (Check out my other review related to that site) After setting up camp we continued our hike passing the shelter at the top of the hill along the way. Although I have visited the site on previous trips I have not been here in the height of spring and seen just how beautiful the space is with all the flowers blooming. The shelter is situated at the top of the hill after crossing the falls and it has a magnificent view of the surrounding mountains. Although you won't get the same sight distance as you do by taking the Pinhoti to the top of the ridge the cover provided by the trees creates a magical environment. On top of the beauty of the foliage, the wildlife was really starting to come out. We saw so many birds and even found a nest that was built in a bush along the trail. In terms of the sleeping accommodations, the shelter is like most you will find along these kinds of trails with a raised platform and a roof that is closed in on three sides. Others in this wilderness area have loft areas but this one is a single level and is relatively exposed. Overall, it can really be a lifesaver if bad weather or heavy rain is in the forecast but personally I prefer to be under an open sky whenever possible. Another thing to consider is that the shelter is often occupied but there are enough alternate campgrounds that this shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Beautiful but potential to get wet

Sipsey wilderness is one of my favorite places in Alabama to go backpacking, especially in the spring in fall when the weather is not absurdly hot and the mosquitos are not out to kill. There are many small backcountry campsites all along the trails and I have tried to catalog and review as many of them as I can to help people plan their trips to the area. Make sure to take a look at my other reviews to get a more comprehensive view of my favorite trails and places to stay. This site is located right next to a small waterfall in a little alcove off of the main trail. It is really an incredibly beautiful space and I suggest visiting even if you don't end up setting camp here. The ground is relatively level and sandy which makes for a comfortable tent setup. However, the water levels in Sipsey are highly variable since we get a lot of rain in Alabama and most of the levels are dependent on runoff. Overall, it may not be the best option depending on the time of year but if you gauge it right the space is peaceful and the sound of the water can help lull you to sleep.

Cheaha State Park - Camping Above the Clouds

Cheaha State Park is located south of I-20 close to Oxford& Anniston, Alabama. Its in one of the highest areas of the state and the towing incline to get there proves it. If your truck is struggling to tow your camper, this might not be the place for you.

We were here over Easter weekend during the COVID-19 shut down. I was surprised by the number of campers over the weekend with some even tent camping. This park has it all. Nice sites with full hook-ups. What looked like a clean, new bath house, although I didn't use it. Lots of hiking trails, some of which are strenuous. And talk about the scenery! You really are rewarded with stunning cliff side panorama views of the area.

If you're not into camping, this park also has multiple cottages for rent that looked really nice. There is also a lodge, restaurant, and a swimming pool with a view. Many things were closed due to the virus, but it looks like it is a great place when things are open. Since it's a short drive from the Atlanta area, I know we'll be back.

Clean and relaxing

Nice campground and great hiking. Not really close to water, but the trails here are great. The upper circle is very shaded and mostly level spots but its on the hill side. The lower circle is very flat but not as shaded. The place is really nice and lots of space on most sites. Well maintained but the general store had almost nothing except candy and soda. Will definitely be back, but bring what you need.

Relaxing water front

It was our first time here and it was really nice. Very clean and they were clearly doing extra cleaning due to covid. The staff is friendly and store prices are reasonable. They keep a good eye on the place, but we didnt find it intrusive. There are a lot of full time spots, so there's golf cart traffic. They are limited on full hook ups, but the bath house is nice and clean. The showers are individual rooms with locking door which is really nice for security, but they are limited in number. The grounds are well kept. It's mostly sloped or water front so not a lot of space for outdoor rec unless it corn hole or just throwing a ball. Water and location are beautiful.