Ronda , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Ronda Camping Reviews
Very nice, quiet,Primative camping

This camp ground is very small and on the side of a very quiet road next to beautiful fields with breath taking views it has no paved roads so bring a truck or suv sedans will get stuck easily there is no cell service and it is very clean of trash perfect quiet getaway

Nice place

Great campground. Extremely nice staff. Rear lots have a nice Mountain View. Showers & bathroom area clean. Small store in office. A few washers & dryers on site. Terrible Wifi. Family owned campground.

Wild Ponies.....

Grayson Highlands State Park is just one of those places you love! The views are awesome, the trails excellent and then there’s wild ponies ! I brought my daughter and granddaughter with me this time and we all had a very good visit. My granddaughter got such a thrill out of meeting wild ponies and there were so many babies, it was so much fun ;) The campground is quiet and the sites are mostly shaded. There’s good separation between sites, though some are a little more open then others. There are a few sites where you are literally sitting on the edge of a very steep drop off, I avoid these ! There are Trailhead’s within the campground and several other very unique and challenging trails. The shower house was a short walk through the trees. The camp Host was across the road from the shower house and next to the dump site. He had firewood on site and was very helpful and informative. No water sports here , but lotsa hiking and stars.

Wonderful

Such a nice campground. Woodsy sites, access to hiking trails. Spacious camp sites with all the amenities.

Nice

Very nice setting. Beautiful camp spots in an open area on top of a mountain. Clean bath house. Great hiking trails. Friendly staff.

Beauty in the mountains

Lovely hike with the most beautiful views of both wildlife and the mountain scenery

Tucked away by a creek

Great spot, very well kept and plenty of space. Two nearby campgrounds were closed for the season so we were lucky to come across this one. Loved having the sound of the river right next to our site.

Clean and Scenic

Very nice campground. Our RV site had plugs for 50 or 30 amp, which was convenient. The bath house is on the back of the little store, a short walk for the tent campers / longer walk from the RV sites. Bathrooms were VERY clean and spacious with plentiful hot water. The store sells ice cream as well as firewood bundles for the fire pits.

Beautiful Fall foliage. Miles of hiking trails connected directly to the campground. The Carter Falls trails are more moderate-intensity but definitely worth it. The trails headed east toward Elkin and Grassy Creek Winery are more of an easy hike, with plenty of beautiful hardwoods and creeks to cross. The winery itself was beautiful and worth the trip.

We also visited Elkin Creek Winery while we were there. You could hike it, about a 20-min walk from the campground, along the road. The road seemed pretty safe. We were tired, so we drove. The winery was gorgeous and the proprietors were so kind. We went on Sunday when they had brick oven pizza - reservations are required, since they have limited quantities. It was one of the best pizzas we’ve ever had (Bacon Brie and a build-your-own with basil, tomato, and mushroom).

Best view in the high country!

Primitive camping and a perfect uphill 1.9 mile hike to the top of the world! If you're going in the winter I recommend hiking poles for hiking in the snow.

Great Family tent camping

Took a last minute trip with the family and we were not disappointed. I grew up camping but my wife has never been. I knew I would have to pick a spot that would change her opinion about camping. On our way home she was already looking for camping arrangements for next season.

We stayed at Camp 5 which was gravel and came in handy when it rained, no muddy mess packing up. I believe all the tent grounds had gravel. The fire pit had a great grate for cooking in our cast iron pans and the picnic table was a huge plus. Bathrooms were clean and the Host were extremely friendly and can answer all of your questions from the campground to local things to do.

Things I wish I had- more twine/rope to hang rain fly (trees are far apart). Bring firewood from the local grocery store, Food City, in Chilhowie. An axe to cut some of that wood into smaller pieces. I had it but remember to bring cash to pay for your stay. I’m not sure if they take cards, we arrived at 9pm and had to fill out an envelope and place in a drop box. Also, at the time of this review, the gates absolutely close at 10pm to 7am. Make sure you are in/out of the gates in time.

Great campground for seasoned campers and even better for beginners.