the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In, Boat In
Carolina Beach State Park is located in North Carolina
41 Reviews of Carolina Beach State Park
Carolina Beach Camping

Native plants, hiking trails, and water views. Hot and humid in the summer, perfect in the spring and fall. Flat trails make it easy to keep exploring and you can camp on the waters edge!

Great Family Spot

The camp ground was really easy to get around with kids, plenty of trails that preschool kids can enjoy as well as adults. Lots of beautiful views just a short hike away. We camped in a primitive tent site, plenty of shade with nice picnic table and fire ring with grill grate. The bathrooms were so clean, we were really impressed. The rangers are super helpful and very nice. One of our best camping trips ever. Fort Fisher Historic site and Aquarium are less than 15 minutes away. Beach accesses are less than 5 minutes away by car. I would highly recommend visiting in early Spring or late Fall. I live a short distance away and the mosquitoes are unbearable in the warmer months.

Amazing

Great atmosphere and was very peaceful. Access to a ton of water activities including kayaks and fishing!

Carolina Beach State Park Campground

This park has a few different sections to it that should be mentioned. There is a marina where you can dock or launch boats. I've used this area for small crafts as well, such as a kayak. It's a beautiful area for a paddle. There are also picnic areas and miles of hiking trails. There are multiple trails that will lead you to lakes, marsh, sand dunes, Venus flytrap gardens, and beautiful views across the water (see image below). There is an information office at the entrance, but the camping check-in is by the marina. There is also a general store with all sorts of things you may need for an overnight adventure. The campsites offer bathhouses (toilets and showers) for the tent and RV camping. There are also primitive sites for group camping. While all of this is located within walking distance of each other, the park itself is located right around the corner from a grocery store and other convenient amenities of civilization. It is a short drive (maybe 5-10 minutes) from the beach, and maybe 20 from the NC Aquarium. Check this place out, it's a great spot for a weekend get-away!

beach + camping = awesome

Carolina beach state park is one of my favorite places to go in North Carolina. Not only does it have an awesome campground, but it's right near one of the best beaches I've ever been to. The sites are nice and secluded, just how I like them. Most of the sites are tent sites, but they have a few full hookup sites for RVs and some cabins to rent too. All of the sites have picnic tables, fire rings, and drinking water.

Within the park, there are tons of hiking trails through a really beautiful area. I hear the fishing is also really good within the park, but I've never done it myself. The only downside is you can't swim within the park, because the currents can get dangerous. The beach is only like 5 minutes away though, so not really a big deal.

As for the beach, it's my favorite one to go to in the states. I like it because it's not really touristy like the outer banks or myrtle beach. Not a whole lot of people come to it, so it's always pretty secluded and clean. In July, the water temperature is perfect, the waves are nice, and it's great all around.

Awesome spot in NC.

Beach on the cheap

Great great camping ground at the beach as showers and places for tents can't get hot cuz you're camping at the beach

Nice campground!

We visited the campground last weekend. The park is really beautiful. Very nice trails and water access for the dogs. We even saw Venus Flytraps on our walk. The campground for me was just okay. It was described as one of the 21 most beautiful campgrounds nationwide. The sites were very roomy and there was a trail right behind us. The bathrooms were pretty run down and they had just one per loop. I'm not sure if I would camp here again but it's definitely worth it to visit the State Park to hike and explore the beautiful nature.

Beachtrips made affordable

Great location close to Wilmington and Carolina Beach. The recent addition of air-conditioned cabins are a welcome alternative during the hot summer months even though they book up quickly. We enjoyed fishing and exploring the campground.

Beautiful coastal forest on the banks of the Cape Fear River

The group campground is isolated from the rest of the camping areas and is quiet at night. There are a lot of park visitors who walk through the area, but the trail through goes around he main campsites. The pit toilets are in need of some attention, but have always been well stocked. It’s about 400 yards to hike in, so we used a wagon to bring in gear. No water on site, but a really nice fire pit with grill top and 2 picnic tables. Shady tent sites available, but really hot and buggy in summer. Group camp site is about .5 mile hike from the river which is great for wading, but swimming is not allowed.

Many species of carnivorous plants grow here and abundant wildlife.

in the summer months there is a place to rent kayaks and paddle boards at the marina.

Favorite Campground Near the Beach

I have camped at Carolina Beach State Park 1-2 times a year for the past five years. The campsites at this park are some of the cleanest sites I have camped at. We never see any trash on the ground or out on the trails. The bath house is always clean and stocked even in the winter. The bathhouse is also heated during the winter months and there are quit a few outlets available which we used to charge our phones. There lots of short trails to hike on where you can enjoy bird watching and viewing the Venus flytraps and other carnivorous plants native to the area. There is also a marina which offers a public boat ramp. The marina also offers kayaks and SUP tours and rentals ranging from 2hrs to a full-day. This Campground is also located next to a food lion. It is also only 5 minutes from the beach and Freeman Park where you can drive directly onto the beach if you have 4WD. This campground is packed on holiday weekends. There were only 2 campsites available when we visited for memorial day weekend.