Equestrian
Pets Unknown
About Tricorner Knob Shelter
National Park Service
Hike In
Tricorner Knob Shelter is located in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina
4 Reviews of Tricorner Knob Shelter
Clean and quiet.

My first shelter experience, and I really enjoyed it. Most times, the people you are huddled with are what make or break a shelter stay, and I was very lucky to have awesome campmates. The shelter was surprisingly clean. The privy was too, shockingly. Water source was very close to the shelter. We had zero issues with bugs or critters bothering us at night. I was also able to get cell/satellite service outside the shelter and up on the AT.

Stopping point

Great half way point between Cosby Shelter and Newfound Gap. Outhouse needs cleaned out though.

Classic AT shelter

The shelter is a classic three-sided AT shelter. Remember that all overnight stays (other than AT thru-hikers) must be reserved through the GSMNP backcountry office or online. Excellent water source a few feet from the shelter.

The area around the shelter is high, rocky, and remote. Expect 10-15 degrees less than the Park headquarters. There are no less than seven peaks over 6k feet an easy hike from the shelter, which is why this is often used as the base camp for folks hiking the southern 6ers challenge.

Great site but crazy bear activity!

The site was well kept but during the night I stayed, there was a 450lb black bear as well as a 250 black bear circling the shelter.