the dyrt
Pisgah National Forest, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Pisgah National Forest Camping Reviews
Clean and well maintained campground.

Sites are close together, however there are lots of activities for the kids.

Full hook ups available, some with cable. The stream and lake are beautiful. Next time I will reserve a spot near the lake.

Nice Campground

We stayed here over the summer and really enjoyed it. It is prime location to downtown chimney rock and lake lure beach/water park. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We had a site that was covered and that was nice to have. We were right on the river so the sound was serene and sight was beautiful. Definitely plan on returning again for another trip.

Wonderful Campground

This is a very beautiful campground. Sites are very well kept and clean. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. The staff was amazing and helpful. Prime location to so many amazing places. The pool was nice and clean! Will def. camp here again.

The Little Gem Where the Blacktop Ends

Just a stone’s throw from the bustle of Asheville, yet secluded enough to forget it all, this little gem is conveniently located at the entrance to Pisgah National Forest.

I went camping here on November 2nd, just after half of the campground closes for the off season. Usually starting at $22 per night, after November 1st the prices get cut in half, so I stayed for $11 (hard to beat)! To pay you fill out a permit envelope, tear off the receipt, include your payment and insert it into a mailbox of sorts. Make sure to bring a writing utensil (I forgot one, but luckily my neighbors let me borrow theirs). You then simply place the receipt portion in the provided zip-lock bag on the number post in front of your site. Check-out time is noon.

Each site comes with a gravel platform for your tent, picnic table, bear box, and a fire pit with a grill top. I opted to set up my backpacking tent in the bed of my pickup, but the site was very clean and well maintained. The host made rounds in the evening and the following morning, and was very approachable and informative, and even gave out weather predictions for the coming days to those who asked. The bathroom facilities may be limited in the off-season due to being unheated, but they were open during my stay, and shower facilities are available during the regular season.

I had a blast enjoying the peace and serenity of the woods, smelling the autumn spice of decaying leaves and campfires, and listening to the babbling river that runs through the center of campground. The other occupants were quite mellow, with no unwanted noise or partying (not that it would be a deal breaker, everyone camps a little differently). In the morning I took a stroll through the recreation area and got to see the group sites; everything was pristine and gorgeous in the gleaming yellow sunlight. My pooch also enjoyed the area, and I was grateful for the free bags to pick up after her.

I would recommend this little spot to anyone looking for a quick getaway from the traffic and humdrum of the nearby townships, as well as visitors to the park. Hiking trails, fishing and hunting opportunities, and scenic waterfalls are all nearby, making the location prime. A big chain grocer is also just a 10 minute drive up the road, making it easy to grab last minute items you may have forgotten. I look forward to returning!

Camp Driftwood

I found this campground through airbnb. They have tent camping as well as two cottages. The cottages are titled "Paddlers Paradise- Camp Driftwood Cottage" and have cable TV, a laptop friendly work space, heating, air conditioning, and a private entrance. The tent camping sites are titled "Camp Site- Camp Driftwood" and have fire rings, picnic tables, and access to a shared bathhouse and common area. Both of these have free parking and are located right on the French Broad River. The water is easily accessible and tubing is frequently seen along the bank. The entrance to the area is directly off the road, but has a VERY steep decline immediately following. Be cautious in driving too far up the bank as the path becomes soft, especially after a good rain. Overall, a small and personable camping option that is worth a visit!

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

Hiking on the AT

We hiked on the Appalachian Trail. We did not have to hike far to see amazing 360 views! Not very crowded. This was one of my favorite places to camp.

Beautiful Long Hikes

The profile trail is a great hike but it is 3.6 miles of mostly uphill on rugged terrain. Permits are required on this trail. They are free and available at the trailhead. We also visited the swinging bridge which was a very short and windy hike with great views.

Great summmer destination

We really enjoyed our two month stay in the NC mountains. They have a fenced dog run, great creek side sites and old, old, old growth trees at our site. They have many recent upgrades including new concrete pads, upgraded bathrooms and game room. Evidently under new management as they moved the permanent sites taking up all the creek side spots so some of us temp people could enjoy the creek and have a fire. Very calm. There is entertainment booked on some weekends. Great weather!

Serene and Peaceful

Having both RV and tent campgrounds, each with large fire pits and lantern stands, this peaceful creekside setting lies just beyond low mountain farms in the northern part of Greene County Tennessee. A thick forest of deciduous trees partially isolates each campground for a relaxed evening of fire provided comfort and repose.

great campground, better hiking!

Came to stay at this campground because we wanted to do some hiking nearby that we haven't done in FOREVER! We really loved this campground, and was surprised to find that it was super busy when we were there. People love this place, especially in the summer time. I also think people had the same thing in mind that we did, because the hiking trails were super busy too! The campground was fairly big, not sure how many campsites there were but seemed to be about 25ish. The restroom was fairly clean, and there was a water spigot as well which was nice. We brought plenty of water because we knew we would be hiking, but nice to know that you could use that if you ran out of water. The campground was easy to locate, and the road leading to the campground was in great shape. I read some reviews online that the road was super bumpy, but didn't seem to notice that. We did have a truck, though so maybe that's why. There is a picnic table and fire ring within the campsite which was nice. We used the fire ring during the evenings to make smores! Bring your own firewood :) We had to let some people borrow ours that we brought. Awesome hiking nearby, definitely put that on your to do list!

very pretty cg on a pristine river (great trout fishing), convenient to gas

very nice cg, convenient to gas/grocery. a pristine river runs thru it,

with excellent trout fishing. very helpful host, campsites afford privacy (most).

has all amenities in a very pretty setting but OVERCROWDED !

don't go on weekends in nice weather…it's too crowded and

campsites are crowded together, privacy lacking.

Lovely River Spots

I would consider this one of my favorite campgrounds IF you have a site on the river and if you don't mind a fair walk to the toilets. The campground does not allow trailers on any of the river-front sites, only tents, so we had to park our GO in the next row. Happily we were camping with friends who took a group site on the water, so we spent the days there. The river-side sites are lovely, you're sleeping right next to the French Broad and during the day you can play at the edge. Our group site had a little pool created by previous campers using rocks, so all the young kids could splash to their hearts content. The downside is there is only one flush toilet facility, so if you're in the further sites it's a long trek. They do have porta-potties half-way, but I preferred planning in the walk. The sites are large and wooded, though not so wooded that I would feel comfortable squatting in our campsite. I noticed people from the further sites actually driving their cars up to the bathrooms in the evenings…

Very Secluded

I absolutely love this campground! It’s a bit of a longer hike to get to the primitive campsites but is worth its since it’s along a river for the most part and the sites are not that close to each other either. I haven’t seen many people camping during the winter months, although during the summer and fall it gets booked quickly. But make sure to call ahead of time because every time that we have called short notice they have been closed or booked. Nearby the visitor center are the bathrooms and fish hatchery (all of which are kept very clean).

Hidden Gem

This place is wonderful! My friend and I hiked the Raven Cliff Falls loop trail a while back and have added it to our list of top 10 favorite trails. I was really bummed about the removal of the cable crossing, but still loved the trail due to climbing ladders and walking along The Cathedral! I strongly suggest wearing waterproof hiking boots/trail runners as there is lots of water on the trail and because the Dismal Trail is a steep climb to the lookout.

Great park along the Blue Ridge Parkway

You can’t beat the location of this campground, located right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stayed in Loop D which has a brand new bath/shower house with six individual stalls with a bath/shower combo. The only thing missing was soap dispensers (I had to remember to bring soap every time I used the bathroom). Very nice and large dishwashing sink. Loop D is for tents so the driveways were small. We were able to fit our 17’ camper van but anything larger might not fit. Park personnel were very friendly and helpful. Wish firewood was available to purchase at the park as we didn’t buy any ahead of time. (You are permitted to pick up downed branches which was new to us). No electric sites and spotty internet but great hiking trails. Recommend the Boone Fork Trail but be prepared for many stream crossings!

Nice, quiet place!

This campground was a good find. Right on the river, not too crowded, and plenty of space between sites. Sites were nice and level. Bathhouses were good! The park was surprisingly small. But if you need a spot to camp in the area I would recommend this campground. (We were in a pop-up camper)

Catawba Camping

The sites in this family campground are right on top of each other, so you will not have privacy! The bathhouse was not good, and pretty far away, and there was only one for the entire property. They have some cabins and a tiny house that you can rent, those looked cool. The owner is super nice, and the sites are right on the creek, so you hear the running water all night so that is really nice, and you are close to Black Mountain, Montreat, and not too far from Asheville.

Wonderful Stop off the Parkway

This review (just as future reviews to this page should be) is about the Crab Tree Falls Campground that is in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and is managed by the National Park Service. There is another Crabtree Falls Campground quite a ways away in Virginia. Google Maps recognizes this campground as Crab Tree Meadows Campground (which is the name of the area along the Parkway that the campground is located in) but the Parkway's Crab Tree Meadows and Crab Tree Falls campgrounds are one and the same. It's all a little confusing.

This is a wonderful stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are few campgrounds that are a park of the Blue Ridge Parkway National Park area. This campground passed by more often than some of the bigger Parkway campgrounds which means that it doesn't fill up as quickly. That doesn't mean that it won't full up. I visited in late October and the campground was pretty darn full by early evening.

This is one of the few national parks where you can collect firewood. However, campers are prohibited from bringing their own wood in, especially from out of state, unless it was been properly treated.

There are picnic tables, fire pits, and running water in the bathrooms. It's a little but funny that many of the campsites share parking with neighboring sites. It was occasionally challenging to tell which parking went with which site. Many of the sites are a little removed from their parking spot which help create separation between the sites.

Loop A is for RVs while Loop B is for tents (Loop C was closed when I visited)

The campground hosts were very friendly. If you have time take the short but very steep hike down to the actual falls.

Wonderful Stop off the Parkway

This review (just as future reviews to this page should be) is about the Crab Tree Falls Campground that is in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and is managed by the National Park Service. There is another Crabtree Falls Campground quite a ways away in Virginia. Google maps recognizes this campground as Crab Tree Meadows Campground (which is the name of the area along the Parkway that the campground is located in). It's all a little confusing.

Loop A is for RVs while Loop B is for tents (Loop C was closed when I visited)

Great Little Private Campground!

We Loved This Place! Right on the French Broad River in North Carolina another little hidden treasure. The staff was awesome and the view every morning amazing.

Wilderness retreat at Montreat

This is a campground that is part of the retreat and conference facilities adjacent to Montreat College. It is located in a peaceful, idyllic hollow alongside Flat Creek, just north and east of Black Mountain, NC. This is truly a special place for a spiritual time-out, to “go to the hills, from whence cometh my strength” and to “be still and know that I am God.” The location is breathtakingly beautiful, you can hike the surrounding mountain and river trails for all the solitude you want, fly fish in local streams, participate in the colleges nature programs or wilderness adventure classes, attend lectures workshops or conferences at the college or conference center, or head into the nearby village of Black Mountain for local mountain music, heritage crafts and regional cuisine. This is really a peaceful magical place for family friendly camping or a solo pilgrimage of sorts.

Rural campground on a creek

This campground is located in Rosman NC, west of Brevard. We camped here as a base camp for day hikes in the area. It is very wooded, in a valley with a creek running alongside the tent camping sites. The scenery is gorgeous and horses and chickens were sweet. The tent sites are small, smaller than average park campsites. We woke to the smell of our neighbor smoking and coughing throughout the night.

The facilities are good, nice hot water in sinks and showers. Clean bathrooms etc. We also had a spigot and plug near our campsite if we needed them. The people were extremely friendly and kind.

We like for our kids to be able to run, play and explore while camping and this was not the site for that. Across the creek is a busy road which was not busy during the night, but had constant travel during the day.

Beautiful piece of nature.

Camped here with a friend and our dogs over the weekend. The campground is right off of the Blue Ridge Parkway so you hear all the traffic. It didn't bother us at all. The campsites are very spacious and private. For some you can make a reservation, some you just show up. Its just a little bit odd, that some campsites have space for just one vehicle. But I heard you can park a second one across the street at the Pisgah Inn. There are also hiking trails nearby. Unfortunately it was very foggy when we stayed so we couldn't enjoy the view in the morning. We would definitely camp here again. It's just a beautiful piece of nature and the park rangers were very nice

Fairly clean with great water

I randomly stumbled across this camp recently. It is a Christian retreat that holds religious summer camps as well as boy/girl scouts retreats. As for hiking trails there’s a few within the camp some including caves, waterfalls, and river cable crossings. My favorite part about this location is that you can access Ceaser’s head state park from the Asbury Hills camp.

Close to Town

2 night stay while traveling the east coast. Campground is very close to town so makes it very convenient to see the sites or run to the store for something. Friendly and helpful staff. Coffee bar on premises. Some sites seemed small and close together. Others were larger and more private so pick wisely. Bathhouse is a little dated but clean and functional. Will visit again.

Great Facilities!

This campground has some of the cleanest and best maintained facilities that I have encountered. There were several trails that we went hiking on in the area and lots of places to go mountain biking nearby. Check-in time is late in the afternoon though, we couldn't go directly to our site once we arrived.

Campground on the river, walking distance to town

This campground is in the woods and right on the French Broad River. It isn't the quietest campground as there is a train that goes by and it seemed that the weekend we were there, a lot of groups were there too. However, the Sunday that we were there was a lot quieter as the campground cleared out. The site we were in was pretty level and while we couldn't see the river from our site, we could hear it! There was also a path out of the back of our site that was a quick walk down to the river. The bath houses were fine - clean, but nothing spectacular. The town itself is a cute tiny town right on the Appalachian Trail. A lot of motorcycles visit this area too. We did some fun drives and hikes off the AT and walked to town for both lunch and dinner. We had a great time! There was no cell phone service at all. Just a heads up!

My favorite Campground

I love this campground. Only 9 sites means it's never too busy although that can make it hard to book sometimes since it is really popular in season. We've been camping there for over 30 years and there have been a lot of changes over that time but I still love that park. The views from the campground and the platform at the summit are beautiful and the whole park is well maintained. It's close enough to Asheville to run down for lunch or sightseeing just make sure you are back in the park by 8 PM because the gate closes then and it's an uphill semi-strenuous walk to the campground from there if you are locked out. :-)