Equestrian
About Ocracoke Campground

This National Park Sevice campground is located on Cape Hatteras National Seashore on 13 miles of pristine beach. The Atlantic Ocean and the Pamlico Sound are both within walking distance. The quaint village of Ocracoke is nearby with many historic homes and buildings on the National Register of Historic Places. Ocracoke Island camping options include this large, well-maintained campground with a total of 136 campsites to choose from. Usually, the campground is open from early April through late November.

Sites
136
Price
$28.00
Ocracoke Campground is located in North Carolina
22 Reviews of Ocracoke Campground
Great location

Clean camp grounds, could use additional shower. Overall great experience.

Great location

Clean camp grounds, could use additional shower. Overall great experience.

Awesome beach camping!

A great National Park Service Campground! If you are lucky you can get a site with private access to the beach. You can't reserve a specific site online so you have to choose it when you get there. We camped here in October, so we had tons to choose from!

The campsite was multi-tiered with a flat grassy area with a picnic table at the bottom, a path to another flat sandy area where we put our tent, and then a path over the dune to the beach. The bathrooms have cold showers and are pretty basic. No fires at this campground but you can have a fire in the grill.

Ocracoke is such a special place with lots of fun things to do and see in town or just spend the whole time at the beach!

See it before it’s underwater

You sleep to the sound of the waves crashing

Great Beach Camping

Drove down from our 4 night stay in Kitty Hawk, took the ferry over to Ocracoke. Tent camped for the night. Our little spot (D25) had a paved drive that I could back into, a grill and a picnic table. So everything you need really. It dog legged off to the right into to smaller trees witch we took advantage of as a wind break.

We walked over the dunes to the beach, water was warm but the surf was a bit rough so I only went out about waste deep (Rip current). Wind was up that day too, a lot of sea shells on the beach if your into that.

Grounds had shower stalls with cold water, no problem for us and they had men's and women's restrooms that were clean and well lit.

We would defiantly recommend this campground and I hope to stay there again some day!

I almost don’t want to review

So that it can be a secret. What a magical place. A few great nights at the end of May. Clean bathrooms, refreshing (cold) showers, we were early enough in the year that bugs weren’t a problem (apparently they get wicked in the late summer). Bring a sun shade - even as we were in a more secluded area surrounded by trees we still had a LOT of sun exposure.

Peaceful getaway

The campground is wonderful. There were plenty of spaces available during my stay (6/6-6/9), especially the field lots. If you would like a dunes site, get there just before or at checkout. Also, check the winds before setting up a tent (15mph winds added an hour to set up).

The campsite is very dark and quiet after 10p, which makes it very peaceful. Make sure you have a small flashlight ready for the late night run to the restroom, otherwise you may run into one of the grills.

The park ranger I checked in with was very friendly and informative, letting me know all the rules, including the wood fire ban during my stay. You will be asked to choose a few spots before you set up, so I would suggest looking at the map posted in the photos for possible locations.

The village of Ocracoke is two miles from the campground, about seven from the Hatteras ferry. If you forgot or don’t have room to bring your bike, many places in town have bikes for rent by the day, and many told me I could ride and keep the bike out at the campground.

If you are looking for a getaway from everyday chaos, definitely stay on the island and at this campground.

Best Place Ever

Beautiful and clean. Primitive showers, but hey…You're on an island. Bathrooms, clean drinking water. Can hear the ocean from your site. Markets close by. Delicious fresh caught seafood.

Can I live there?

Ocracoke was wonderful in so many ways. Huge sites, only sand dunes separating you from the beach. Each night, the crashing surf lulled us to sleep.

The toilets and sinks are in nice, new buildings. Great facilities. The shower stalls, on the other hand, were by themselves, in the middle of each loop. The stalls are not housed in a building, just open in the middle of the field. (Felt like Petticoat Junction, if anyone else is an old time like us.) Water is only cold, we knew that ahead of time. Doors on shower stalls would not lock, and there's nowhere to put your dry clothes, etc.

No shade in the campground,  so prepare to create your own.

We loved it and look forward to returning.

Several ferries service the island. On the south side, two paid ones, on the north side, the ferry is free.

Hear the ocean all night - if you can stand the mosquitoes

Pros: this campground has a little more privacy than some of the other Cape Hatteras National Seashore ones. You can hear the ocean all night, and the campground itself is pretty quiet. Showers are free, but water is not heated.

Cons: the amenities are outdated, especially the showers. The mosquitoes are horrible here; in addition to being right by the ocean, the centers of the loops of the campground are grassy fields, and I think that's why there are so many mosquitoes. It was so bad, I couldn't even stay outside to prepare dinner after dark - I had to go into town for a meal.

Given how bad the mosquitoes were, I likely wouldn't stay here again. But it is a very pretty campground.