the dyrt
Price
$28.00
Ocracoke Campground is located in North Carolina
13 Reviews of Ocracoke Campground
Hear the ocean all night - if you can stand the mosquitoes

Pros: this campground has a little more privacy than some of the other Cape Hatteras National Seashore ones. You can hear the ocean all night, and the campground itself is pretty quiet. Showers are free, but water is not heated.

Cons: the amenities are outdated, especially the showers. The mosquitoes are horrible here; in addition to being right by the ocean, the centers of the loops of the campground are grassy fields, and I think that's why there are so many mosquitoes. It was so bad, I couldn't even stay outside to prepare dinner after dark - I had to go into town for a meal.

Given how bad the mosquitoes were, I likely wouldn't stay here again. But it is a very pretty campground.

Fantastic for beach lovers

It't beautiful and has a bathhouse. Sleeping on the beach sand is so comfortable. Fall or spring is are great times to go. There is a very short walk over the dunes to get to the most beautiful beach in the whole world! There is the really sweet town of Ocracoke to visit just a very short drive from the campground. Ocracoke is were Blackbeard was captured which is also a fun draw to the island.

Let the dark skies and sounds of the waves take you away!

This is a favorite spot - among the dunes and in a tent. The basic sites are clean and the facilities are fine - cold shower only.

But….the key is the location. You are right next to the ocean and it's not overrun with people.

Go here and don't tell anyone!!!

Rustic beautiful site on the ocean

This is a park wit no power or shade. Sand flees and bugs are plentiful. Cooler seasons are perfect and this is right on the ocean. Bath houses are adequate

Peaceful and gorgeous

I camped two nights at Ocracoke in a corner spot tucked in between the sand dunes. It was absolute heaven on earth. I could walk over one small dune and be on the beach. The showers do NOT have hot water, so be prepared for that. It wasn’t a big deal for me, but if you’re traveling with kids it could be difficult. My favorite thing about this campground was the layout of the sites – many of them were very private with small dunes separating them, so you don’t feel like you’re just camped out in a field surrounded by other people. All in all, it was an ideal camping experience and the short drive into the town of Ocracoke is totally worth it. So many great things to see in do in a picturesque little Outer Banks town.

idyllic unspoiled beach haven

campground is great right next to the beach, nice bathrooms, good showers (cold h2o only). Rangers are great about advising spots based on the weather so you don’t wind up in a flooded area. Mosquitoes are wicked, but a small price to pay.

Beautiful but HOT

This is a beautiful campground and we had a site with it’s own path to the beach which was very convenient. The bathhouse was clean but got VERY hot during the day. The campground Is very close to the pony pens and Is a quick drive to Ocracoke village. The biggest con of this campground is the lack of shade and the fact that the manmade dune blocks most of the wind. In the summer heat, it was stifling for tent camping. It was too hot for my northern blood. If I come back here, It would have to be earlier in the season or I would bring an air conditioner.

Slice of paradise

My hubby and I camped here last summer. We couldn't have been more impressed. It was clean and well ordered. It felt remote and tranquil. We woke up at 5:30 to watch the sunrise over the ocean which was just a hop, skip and jump away from our tent. It was paradise.

Family weekend camping trip.

I love the campground. I love sleeping on the soft sand. The campground was great and had showers and bathrooms. There is just a short walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in the United States. Just down the road from the campground is the quaint town of Ocracoke. I loved it and want to go back, hopefully with new camping gear. :-)

Sleep to the sound of Crashing Waves

While all the RV's are at the HUGE KOA village the national seashore parks are filled with tents and a respite from generators.

Although there are moments when the wind hits that you might wish you were in a hard shelled tent.

You can make reservations in advance but with over 100 sites and multiple loops of sites you will be sure to find a spot.

This place has amazing access to surf but if you're not a surfer the next best thing to do is walk to the lighthouse from your campsite.