Equestrian
Hike In
Morrow Mountain State Park is located in North Carolina
20 Reviews of Morrow Mountain State Park
Hidden treasure

We loved our stay! Glad to finally find a nice campground just over an hour away from Charlotte. Easy trek for a short weekend trip. We exhausted ourselves hiking and canoeing and much more stuff to do! Nice sites with electric hookups. Firewood available. Will definitely be back!

Good

So, if you end up in a crap site you might drop those 4 stars to 3. Its going to be impossible to determine a great site from a bad without going there since the only pic they have online is from site 1. B loop, has a lot of RVs. A loop, has the amphitheater. C loop, felt like the smallest loop and really close to the entry hiking trail. We've stayed in both A and C. C loop, site 48, is where we stayed this trip. Its a good site. Close to the showers, which are clean and well maintained. Close to the trash bins and water spicket as well. Behind the site is a great little "valley" to explore if you have kids/dogs. Has awesome trees for hammocks and the tent pad doesnt slope. Did not love the fire pit at this site but the sites to the left and right are great. Overall, tons of sites and good clean facilities. The trails are plentiful so you shouldnt run out of places to explore.

Ole reliable

Been here twice. Not bad sites, probably the most consistent sites throughout my reviews. All pads are different so pay attention to dimensions. Bathrooms are ok with showers. Water points around the campground. Long trails to hike and a couple strenuous trails.

Beautiful park

I spent a night at the primitive campsite and hiked a few trails. The park is gorgeous and full of life. I saw plenty of frogs and tadpoles in the creeks, listened to a symphony of birds, and I'm pretty sure heard a few coyotes throughout the night. I also saw an abundance of different species of spiders, dragonflies, moths, and other interesting critters.

The trails were clearly marked and easy to follow. Lots of routes varying in views and difficulty were available and the staff were incredibly helpful. As for the campsite itself, it was cozy enough. Easy to find and it provided a few logs for sitting and a firepit. The rain collection bucket was mostly a little closet filled with spiders and such. I chose to gather water from the creek to purify instead.

My only complaint is that this is a popular park especially during this season. If you are looking for more isolation, then you may want to try this place off season. I had campers on either side of me and the trail was spitting distance from the campsite. While they weren't disturbing or being a nuisance, I go camping to escape people. Lol That said, I genuinely enjoyed my stay and will be back.

Pretty Basic

Plentiful campsites, we arrived on a Friday without a reservation and were able to get a spot. There is a swimming pool, but we didn't swim. Some hikes nearby, but far from the swimming spots in the Uwharrie National Forest. No bathrooms near the campsites, but there were spigots with potable water. The tent pads were even and well packed. All sites had a picnic bench and a fire pit with a grate.

Family friendly campground

Nice campground with a decent bathhouse. There is no AC in the bathhouses. Site 98 in the electric loop is for tent and pop up campers, but is not pop up camper friendly. The ground is very uneven. There are many trails to go on. We went on the Big Rocks Trail. There wasn’t much to see until we got to the end of it and went down the cliff. Then the views were amazing. It was not a loop trail, but you hike to the cliff then turn around and go back the way you came. They offer canoe and row boat rentals, they have a swimming pool that is open after Memorial Day. They also have a museum you can check out during the day. Overall, nice campground. We enjoyed our time there and were able to see several deer.

Great Campground

I tent camped at Morrow Mountain state park. As a campsite it is wonderful. Great camp pad to set up your tent on and very nice bathrooms. The only thing i would say negatively about it is that it is quite off the beaten path so does take time to drive all the way through the park to the campground. Other than that it had a very nice atmosphere

Great Family Campground

I have stayed many times in this campground. The tent pads are quite compacted but drain well. In addition to the nearby lake, there is a pool you can take the kids to. This is very dog friendly. Not too much traffic for the kids either. I have seen a rattle snake!!

Quiet place

I solo camped here for the first time last summer. Facilities were clean, whole campground was so quiet. Beautiful park, big lake, great hiking. Can't wait to go back.

Quiet weekend

I stayed for 2 nights in the beginning of March. There weren’t many other campers because the forecast called for rain all weekend but ended up only raining for a few hours one night, lucky me! The whole park was pretty quiet, including the trails. There was a nice tent pad with a fire pit and picnic table, and a man came around bringing wood for $5 a bundle if you needed it. We had a quite a few deer passing close by through the night! Was a nice, quiet, relaxing weekend!