About Davidson River Campground

Davidson River Recreation Area offers camping and outdoor activities for the whole family whose looking for camping near Charlotte. Davidson River Campground boasts several loops of shaded campsites, as well as access to hiking trails, fishing spots, waterfalls and several nearby attractions within Pisgah National Forest. It lies just four miles west of the town of Brevard and less than an hour from the city of Asheville. The facility is open year-round.

Natural Features:

The campground is located in Pisgah National Forest at an elevation of 2,150 feet. The surrounding land boasts mile-high peaks, cascading waterfalls and slopes thickly forested with hardwoods and conifers. The group camping area is adjacent to the beautiful Davidson River.

Recreation:

The forest is known for its hiking trails, several of which are near the campground. Hikers can challenge themselves with the 12.3-mile Art Loeb Trail, the 3.7-mile North Slope Trail or a 1.5-mile walking trail.

The Davidson River offers excellent trout fishing, plus tubing and swimming, which are kid-friendly favorite activities. Visitors wishing to learn more about the area can attend educational programs in summer and fall.

Facilities:

Campsites are organized into eight loops and some are adjacent to the water. Sites are mostly shaded and equipped with picnic tables, tent pads, lantern posts and campfire rings with grills. The facility also provides hot showers and restrooms with flush toilets in each loop. Campers can purchase ice and firewood on-site and rent bikes nearby.

Nearby Attractions:

Several natural and cultural attractions are within close proximity to the campground. Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Falls and the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway are among the more popular sites. The small town of Brevard offers various amenities and services, and visitors can take a trip to Asheville to visit art galleries, shops and restaurants.

ACTIVITIES

No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Davidson River Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
From Asheville, North Carolina, take I-40 West to I-26 East to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to the campground. From Spartanburg, South Carolina, take I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to the campground. From Charlotte, North Carolina, take I-85 South to Gastonia and exit at U.S. Highway 74 West. Merge with I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to the campground.
49 Reviews of Davidson River Campground
Absolutely beautiful spot on the river

We were able to book our spot just a few hours before arriving, just a one night stay. We got a spot right on the river, and I have to admit it’s one of the most relaxing places I’ve been. There’s a constant sound of rushing waters. We came across two different bathhouses in our loop, one was pretty average and aged a bit. The other was clearly brand new and extremely clean. There’s a swimming spot as well. I’d give this place a 10/10

Fabulous location!

We have camped at Davidson River several times. It is in such a prime location if you love hiking to beautiful waterfalls. I can't even count the number of waterfalls that are within a 30min drive. Some are an easy walk right from the road and some are a good hike to get to. The campground is always clean and the sites are well spaced out. There is a nice trail that runs along the river and a swimming hole (the water is always freezing!) with a little rock cliff to jump off of. The river is rocky and shallow so it's fun to play in. Bring a river tube or rent one nearby to enjoy a lazy float downstream! The campground has lots of trees to provide privacy and shade.

Awesome camp in a prime location mi

Davidson River is a large campsite that still provides a decent amount of distance between sites. I booked this trip kind of late and did not get a prime spot but luckily all of my neighbors were quiet and respectful. This place is great for families I saw tons of kids riding bikes and tubing in the river. The beach is small and crowded, it was not good for me to have my dog swimming since they have people fly fishing right next to everyone swimming. It didn’t matter though because there is so much to do in the area away from the campsite! I drove to several beautiful look out spots, did an easy hike down to Graveyard Fields and Looking Glass Falls for some time playing in waterfalls and then hiked Andy Cove Nature Trail which had a cool suspension bridge. All doable with my 12 yr old dog and beautiful. At night there were more fireflies than I’ve seen in my whole life out together. All in all a great campsite for solo travelers or families, be aware you will not have cell service until you leave the campground.

Good and bad

Lots to do nearby, sites are hit or miss and bathrooms aren't great. Fell service stinks. There are trails nearby and easy access to many other activities but campsite was only ok.

Good sites and activity opportunities

We enjoyed our first stay with the camper at Davidson River Brevard North Carolina. We had stayed there a couple times before with tents. There was a 30 amp hook up for campers but no on-site water or sewage. There is a nice clean dump station with available water for your tank if you don’t want to fill up before leaving home. There was someone running the front gate for the majority of the day each day and they were very informative.  We rented tubes at a local Rental Place and enjoyed hours on the river with our family. We would recommend this place to tent campers as well as camper campers, please check specifications for length of campers and know this place fills up quick during the season!

Nice campground in the mountain

I camped here with a friend and the dogs over the weekend. The campground is pretty big with several loops. Our campsite was on the roadside loop. It had the typical amenities like a fire pit, a lantern post and a picnic bench. We were pleasantly surprised that we also had a bear box. We were warned before, that the bears are very active in the area, but we were startled when we had one just a few feet from our campsite. The bathhouse was close by but unfortunately had just one stall open, which is not enough. The cleaness was ok. Down the road was a much nicer bathhouse. Our campsite was pretty private and there was a nice hiking trail a few feet from our site. Unfortunately the quiet time hours were not enforced. People were yelling and screaming until late at night. It's a short drive to Brevard, just in case you forgot something. There are also a lot of points of interest like Looking Glass Falls, Sliding Rock and the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you like to hike, there are a lot of amazing trails near by. Even it was a very nice weekend, since it was such a big campground, it would not be our first choice.

Super nice campground in the heart of Pisgah National Forest

Davidson River campground is my favorite spot when I go to Brevard to see some waterfalls. It's located right at the entrance to the forest, close to amenities such as Walmart supercenter, gas stations, breweries, restaurants, a great BBQ place and an ice cream joint. On the other hand, it's just a few minutes away from several easily accessible waterfalls such as Looking Glass falls, Moore's Cove Falls and Sliding Rock. A short drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and you can get to Skinny Dip Falls and Graveyard Fields. Drive in the other direction and you can walk around Dupont State Forest with its beautiful waterfalls that were featured in major movies. A little further away you can reach Gorges State Park with more amazing waterfalls and trails. Drive to downtown Brevard to dine in fancy locally sourced restaurants with live music and local beer. What a wonderful place!

The campground itself is located near the river, has nice spacious sites and clean bathrooms and showers. The staff is always helpful. When I travel with a large group of friends, we book a double and a single site, one across from another to have enough room and enjoy each other's company. The sites don't have cover or shelters, and since the probability of rain is always high (don't trust your weather forecast!), I recommend bringing a tarp or some sort of a shelter.

Lush and Green

A big campground, but many of the spots are nicely spaced out so it didn’t feel crowded. All the hookup spots were full, but the cool mountain air made it comfortable to sleep with no air conditioning in June. The town of Brevard is darling, and there are great hikes, including beautiful waterfall vistas all over the area.

Nicest campground by far

Close to all the waterfalls in the area and if you forget anything, Brevard NC is only a mile away

Plenty of Biking in area and close to the parkway

The back loop

My dads been taking me backpacking ever since I could walk. When my ma wanted to join we went here for the majority of my childhood. That back loop is the best. Nice hosts. Sometimes some squawking children but there is a quiet time. Beautiful swimming hole as well