W. Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir, NORTH CAROLINA
Camping North Carolina W. Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir
Most Recent W. Kerr Scott Dam & Reservoir Camping Reviews
A great place with great views

This is a wonderful area. It is highly recommend . We had a great time at this park . The views are amazing.

A beautiful place

The park is gorgeous, the facilities are clean . The park is very well kept , the hiking trails are very well marked.

Not what I expected

The area is beautiful and the staff friendly. I drive a Kia Soul (low profile vehicle) and the roads to the campground were challenging due to the deep ruts and wash out. They advertise restrooms and showers but they were in very poor condition. the first night I checked out the showers, which open to the outside, there was a giant bullfrog inside. Taking trash off is another trip down poor roads. Some of the tent sites were very small with small tent pads. It was beautiful but the sites are pretty close so when it filled up there was lots of noise. You have to bring your own firewood and the office is just that, a place to check in and out- not a camp store. But Walmart is only 4 miles away. If you have a more rugged vehicle and lower facility expectations then you might like this, but it wasn’t for me.

Linville Gorge is Gorgeous

We’ve primitive camped in the Linville Gorge Wilderness for many years and absolutely love it. It’s peaceful and secluded and the views are absolutely gorgeous. My photos are from the Linville Falls side of the old highway that goes past the falls parking lot. Spaces are first come, first served dispersed camping. Leave no trace! We clean up after folks every time we camp up here and it’s just too sad that people will leave their trash. This area used to be the best kept secret in the NC mountains but is quickly gaining popularity.

Great family campground close to Boone

This is a wonderful family campground with amazing people running the campground close to Boone and Banner Elk. There is a beautiful creek that runs through the property. Campsites are level. Bathhouse is adequate but they could use an additional restroom facility on the cabin/tent side of the creek. Only downside is the road noise from Hwy. 105 which can be extremely noisy.

The Best

I’ve stayed at Blue Bear twice and booked my third stay as I was leaving. Wonderful campground - you can’t beat any aspect of it.

The sites are well spaced so you don’t feel on top of other campers. Remote sites provide that extra sense of privacy.

The owners are so helpful and friendly. Providing wood and also have devices to haul your gear to certain remote sites.

Location is a great jumping point for tons of hiking and other activities. We went to Ashe County Park to play disc golf, and into Boone to walk around and look at shops.

Bathhouse is very clean and well kept. There is nothing negative to say about Blue Bear. It is our favorite site by far, and keeps us coming back.

Great Place

Awesome campground. Large lots with everything you need. Great hiking trails. We will be back.

Love Love Love

This place is magical. I have loved this place for so many years and gladly visit any chance I can! Wonderful hikes, views, and wild ponies!

Pros and Cons

Went with our two dogs for two nights. Spaces are pretty close together and open, so you’ll see your neighbor.

Unfortunately, we had terrible neighbors our second night and made a quick exit the following morning as a result.

Otherwise, the bathhouse was clean, and the trails around the campground were very nice. The stand alone outhouses were very gross; spider webs, flies everywhere, and dark.

I don’t think I will return, but think it would be good for families and people who want ease over quiet.

Just beautiful

It was the best weekend we ever had

Best weekend ever

Amazing time

Escape to nature’s playground

LNSP is just a 45 minute drive from Charlotte and 1.5 hours from Asheville. The campsites are spacious, and surrounded by woods with plenty of shade to keep the summer heat in check. The Lakeshore Trail takes hikers around the lake with opportunities to swim along the way. If mountain biking is your thing, there’s plenty of miles of trails for all skill levels just 2 miles away from you campsite. Lake Norman is huge and has a boat launch for everything from motorboats to paddle boards. You can even rent canoes, kayaks, peddleboats and standup paddle boards for $7 per hour. RVers will have to rough it - there’s no hookups but a dump station is available. Reservations are made through the state park website.

Bit of everything

16, about to be 17 sites. The 5 upfront are walk in, and more private. The about to be 12 in the back are pull in and much closer together. Two shower houses, one on both ends, no hookups. Host should be on site weekends from April til the end of October. Previous last three seasons host kept things clean in the bathrooms, new host will happen sometime soon or next season. 9 miles, minimum, of dirt roads getting in, so pack accordingly. Quick trips don't happen. Lots of near by trails, the river and multiple swimming holes. Creek and waterfall in and near by the campground.

Serenity

Most beautiful campground ever.So peaceful, cool and clean. Friendly People!!!

Great pool

Great park with one of the best pools in the area.

Nice for a stop over

Small camp ground with plenty of space. Some amenities. Bass lake is small, but nice and the weather was beautiful so it was a nice setting as the evening feel. Fun watching all the turtles in water bobbing in and out. Nice way to end a travel day. Quiet place even close to the hyway. Friendly staff. Passport America Full hookup.

Very nice and quiet!

This is a very well maintained campground. The roads are all in good condition, the bathrooms and showers are good. There is a .6 mile trail nearby (Whispering Waters Trail) which is good for beginners & small kids. There is another trail, Mt. Rogers which is longer (7 miles) from the campsite. That one should be good for more seasoned hikers. We stayed in site 30D (Double) with 4 tents, 9 people and 3 vehicles. It would be tight with 4 cars.  The hosts were great and very friendly/helpful. Overall a very nice campground and would recommend it.

Standard Campground, unbelievable setting

The campground itself is your standard campground but, the setting is unbelievable. High up in the highlands of southern VA, you’re a day hike away from exposed rocky outcropping, balds, and peaks all from the campground/park area. And the ponies are real. I wasn’t sure I’d see any then, I saw more of them than I did humans when I was out hiking.

Youth group trip

I hiked GHSP and part of the AT with a youth group overnight. Beautiful trail with wild ponies. We stayed in the shelter up the mountain over night and a pony made his way to the opening of the shelter causing a dog to bark thinking it was a bear. Great hike, great learning experience, beautiful views.

Cute, Quiet & Clean

Very cute campground. The staff is awesome and so nice. They have kids crafts and activities!

Our home away from home

Awesome campground with electric water & the occasional WiFi. They have a dump station. Great park tons of trails, they also have a seasonal swimming pool.

Great!

This was our first time camping. Overall it was a great experience. Only reason I gave it 4 stars was Bc the bath house and dump station nearest our campsite was out of order. The dogs and kids loved it!

Serenity

Very clean and quiet!!!

Excellent private campground

Stayed here on the way back from Hiking the AT. Clean and hot showers, great bathhouse with lots of privacy. The campsites where clean and well spaced with a lot of greenery in between. Offers both long and short time stays!

A layed back quiet campground. Nice for relaxation.

Very large campground. Has  alot of hiking trails . Some has waterfalls , ponds . Easy to get to grocery store, has shopping, restaurants,  places for children to go… Nestled back in the woods campground…

Quiet and water all over

My camp site (#5) was about 50 yard's from the water. I found a place I could sneak right to the water and fish. Really enjoyed the peace and quiet here. Something to note is I did hear a few boats going up and down the river late at night. My only real complaint is I couldn't find a single electric plug anywhere. I tried the picnic area, the bath house, the swimming area.. Nothing. I was trying to top off my phones battery but had no luck.

Great weekend getaway by the river

This campground is great for a full hookup experience. We enjoyed the pond for fishing and the playground. The campground has lots of events at their community building. They were having a campground wide yard sale while we were there which was great. Sites are level and easily accessible.

Unique

Spacious campsites and a lot of different kinds to choose from! Field sites, wooded sites, large, small AND hike in remote sites! Clean, updated bathrooms. They deliver your firewood although I didn’t have to buy any because the previous campers left plenty!

Dog friendly with no mention of breed restrictions. I definitely will go again! All around professionally managed and friendly staff too!

Off the beaten path

This campground is down a pretty long gravel road, so it's best to have what you need when you arrive. No quick trips to Wally World for resupply here. Some of the sites can be a little muddy after wet weather. Many are closed off because they are prone to flooding. It is convenient to a few trails and waterfalls and there is a spot nearby where a lot of people like to float on tubes kind of like a lazy river type thing. It's a unique place. My family and tried swimming at the base of Thorp's Creek Falls here, but the cray fish chased us out.

Nice spot to camp

This place is close to some good hiking and not too far from towns. They have a playground which is cool and the staff is very friendly. Unfortunately, they do not allow hammocks any more since people were cutting off tree branches to make hanging hammocks easier.