Nantahala National Forest, NORTH CAROLINA
Camping North Carolina Nantahala National Forest
Most Recent Nantahala National Forest Camping Reviews
Good sight!

Decent site to pitch a tent for the night! Bring lots of water.

Very Nice

This resort had a lot of great activities from a lazy river to GaGa ball. Most sites are back-ins and the roads are gravel. But everything is well maintained.

Nice and peaceful as this campground is very private. In a beautiful spot on the she of the smoky mountains. Bring extra water and bug spray!

Absolutely stunning setting.

Elkmont is set in an absolutely stunning setting. The tent site were large and very clean with the sound of rapids coming from the nearby river. There were multiple bathrooms available which were clean and well maintained. It is centrally located for multiple stunning hikes i.e. Laurel Falls, Charlie’s Bunion and Clingmans Dome. It is also a short drive from Gatlinburg.

Perfect location to explore from

You can get to it all from here.. The strip, Dollywood, Gatlinburg and River tubing.

Great Family Campground

Busy during the summer months, but probably the least busiest out of the three campgrounds in the Tallulah River. Stays cool down there by the river. There’s a swimming hole and a rope to jump off a rock. Nice place in the fall to relax whenever you want to get away. The camp sites are far enough away from each other to get some privacy

Great for families!

A lot of things to do here in the park. Pool is nice! Staff is very nice! Lots are real nice. A creek runs through the campground and is wonderful to sit by. Full hookups. Wi-Fi is a bit weak in places so you are using your phone mostly. We will come back.

Beware Tent Camping

On screen, the tent sites look downright idyllic. Bordered by a little creek, ducks visit during the day, the park is very well kept, extremely dog friendly; it seems perfect upon arrival. Then after a long day of hiking, you return to your tent to crash, and get to listen to the sound of air brakes, back up beeping, and bay doors slamming all. night. long. Just on the other side of the cute little creek is a grocery/bakery that has semi trucks coming in and out CONSTANTLY all night. We might as well have set up camp in the receiving bay. We were super disappointed, the site itself was everything we wanted. Sadly, sleep is also important so we won’t be returning.

Peaceful but bland
  • We stayed at site #26 in tents. It was small but all the trees were great since we had to put up tarps for the rain. We were able to set up 2 -4 person tents and 1 large 10 person tent as well as a screened canopy over the picnic table. Plus you can hear the river from our site so that was pretty pleasant =)
  • I walked the campground and my personal favorite site was #7. The fire pit and picnic bench are in the front and the tent area is further back near the river. Very large space.
  • The drive up goes from road, to dirt, to road. Yes it is very narrow (especially since I drive a Suburban), but just drive slow and be careful on turns and you'll be fine. Any turn I couldn't see around, I honked as a heads up to oncoming traffic (which is a total of like 6 cars).
  • Make sure to get firewood/supplies prior to driving up the mountain. It's about a 30 minute drive up and there is no firewood/ice/or any supplies anywhere on the mountain.
  • The woman's bathroom had 2 stalls. One large and one small. No soap dispenser, but someone left a hand soap pump which was pretty nice of them. Electric hand dryer. No showers. Sink for your dishes is attached to the restrooms. It got pretty dirty and muddy, but in the morning it was cleaned up.
  • We didn't see any wildlife besides 1 squirrel. But there is some massive spiders (look like red daddy long legs) and had a few bees. Lightning bugs were hardly there, but the mosquitoes were hardly there too.
  • We walked the closest trail, very muddy. The creek/river was super pretty but it was super cold. Not much scenery on the trail besides the fun wood bridge at the beginning. We ended up driving an hour to the big creek section of the Smokies. We went on the Big Creek Trail which led to Midnight Hole (which is a beautiful swimming hole). Its at another campground that also has white water rafting.
  • There is an old church next to the campground that is open and very lovely.
  • There's also a look over stop. Its 100% worth stopping at.
  • Overall, we enjoyed that everyone at the campground pretty much went to bed around 11pm. The campground seems like its taken care of. Personally I'd rather stay at a campground with a little more adventure (and maybe showers). The campground is very small so it'll only take up to 5 minutes to walk the whole place.
Great RV Resort Franklin N.C

We are new to the RV life style. We traveled to Franklin N.C. A couple weeks ago and stayed at Grear Outdoors RV Resort. We were greeted by gracious hosts who were also the owners. Polly was great explaining the rules and amenities to us. Mike arrived and escorted us to our site and helped us me park. The park was very well organized and maintained as Mike continues to work throughout our entire visit. Questions and concerns were answered immediately. This was our first visit but not our last. 5 Stars!!

This is one of the nicest 55+ campgrounds in the area.

This is a well maintained 55+ campground that has a nice ratio of RV campsites and Park Model living.  The spacious sites are well shaded and level in a park like setting.

Campsite #29

This campsite is right next to the river with several waterfalls. Bear hooks are provided with serval flat spaces to place a tent. Be prepared to dig your own cat-hole for bathroom use! There are two fire rings available for use. If you hike from Cosby campground along snake den ridge trail be prepared for a very steep and difficult climb! It is all uphill with many false summits.

Icewater spring shelter

Great shelter to stay in especially if you are only hiking in for the night. The shelter is three sides with wooden planks to sleep on. There is a composting toilet and bear hooks to hang food/packs from. It is a short hike to Charlies bunion which has great views. The shelter can be quite crowded especially when the thru hikers go through in early spring. There is a spring water source to get water from but be prepared to treat the water. It can be difficult to fit a water bottle under the pipe- recommend you bring a small plastic bag to collect the water in and transfer to the water bottle. Overall great shelter with great view of the sunrise in the morning!

Tenting in the Smoky’s

Cosby was a great campground. Sites did not seem too close with all the trees around. B loop is better than A loop but requires a reservation for most sites. Most sites have steps up or down to the site along the backside of B loop.

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Free Rein Jacket at Glen Falls Backcountry

Campground Review:

There are two ways to access this campsite and one definitely requires significantly more sweat (that’s the route we took). The backcountry site is located near the far trailhead at Glen Falls located at the end of a forestry road. We hiked in from the trailhead that most people use to access the falls and continued down the trail past the typical turnaround point until you reach the bottom of the valley. The site is on the nicer side for a backcountry campground as it is level and has multiple areas for tents along with a large fire pit surrounded by logs for sitting on. The main advantage of this site over others in the area is that it is located on the inside of a curve in the river so the creek surrounds almost the entire site giving easy access to water and a relaxing sound to help you sleep at night. The hike down from the upper trailhead is relatively steep and involves going down many (many) stairs but is well worth it for the views of Glen Falls. This is a well-traveled and also well cared for route and we saw many other hikers while we were there. However, most people do not make it all the way down to this site so you will most likely find a significant amount of privacy if you plan on camping here. Since it is National Forest you will have no issues with camping just make sure to follow leave no trace practice and keep your fire under control. I would also highly recommend a dip in the cool waters to help with the heat during the middle of the summer. Overall, this is a beautiful secluded campsite very close to Highlands that provides both tranquility and also some strenuous hiking.

………………………

**Product Review:**

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products while out adventuring. At this campground, I stayed dry using the Red Ledge Free Rein Jacket. After multiple rainy hikes and wet campground days some of my favorite features are:

1. Dryness (obviously): Although it is the main purpose of a raincoat I still want to mention that this design is highly effective at keeping you dry. Not only is the material incredibly water-resistant and all seams are well sealed but it also has a dual closure system in the front to keep every last drop of water away from your body. I also know that this effectiveness will last since my wife has been using a Red Ledge raincoat for many years and only recently did it need a fresh waterproofing treatment. The small touches like a multi-cinching hood and velcro wrist straps make this an incredibly effective raincoat.
  2. Breathability: Where I am hiking in the south breathability is just as important as waterproofing since the heat will often cause you to become wetter from sweat than anything the rain can do. I found that this raincoat although still being hot was significantly more breathable than others I have used with the same rain protection. It has huge armpit zipper openings and several large mesh pockets that can be opened to increase airflow. The only negative I found was that the sizes for men run slightly smaller than usual so the tightness decreased airflow. However, this can be easily solved by getting a size larger than your usual.
  3. Color Options: One of the things that often frustrates me about men's hiking clothing and gear is that the colors are typically boring and flat. They stick to dull greens and blues or grays and blacks. But not these raincoats! They come in bright reds and greens and many other color options to fit your individual personality. This was a big plus for me and is important if you want to be seen while hiking in areas that allow hunting or don't want to get lost from your hiking partner in a torrential downpour.

Overall, for the very reasonable price of these raincoats, they are incredibly effective and comfortable and I would highly recommend seriously considering them for your next raincoat purchase.

A little dated!

Nice quiet campground. It appeared that it’s been there a while and could use a little updating. The loop road for RVs is a little tight. Our site, #65 was at the end of a spur road and the makeshift turnaround area was extremely tight. Only other complaint was the lack of water pressure at our site. I’m not sure if all the sites had low pressure, but I needed up using the water pump to supplement for the shower.

All that being said, the campground was beautiful and quiet. Just a note, public access to the lakes in this area is limited if you’re looking for swimming, kayaking, etc. and the roads are narrow. It’s easier to enter the campground from the west.

Amazing first impression !!

This is a small but excellent gem of a campground. Being in this area the traffic is awful but this place is away from that traffic but still close enough to enjoy everything. The back way into Gatlinburg is a direct shot from the entrance. Also close to Dollywood and the attractions of Pigeon Forge. Very easy drive to groceries, restaurants and gas. Campsites are level and the help with setup is better than anyplace I have ever been. Do not look anywhere else, this is the place to book your next visit to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and the beautiful Smoky Mountains!!!

Plenty of options from here

I stayed two nights. Purchased wood and some other things from the nearby camp store at nearby Indian Boundary Campground (IBC)when I arrived. So if you need anything the store is close by during season with friendly staff. We also swam at IBC beach area.

The campsites at Jake Best Campground (JBC)was clean and the fee was small. Other nearby primitive sites are free and their are several just off Citico Creek. Our stay was over July 4th weekend and only 3 of the 9 sites were being used. The US Forestry Service was in and out of JBC a few times and visible along Citico Creek. We chose a Creekside site with access via short trails.
Plenty of good fishing/swimming/just sitting to be had from the site. Saw several locals that trout fish this creek. We skipped rocks, hammocked, swam in the nearby lake, and finished the trip at nearby Bald River Falls. Good place for a quick getaway.

Really nice campground

Really nice campground, lots of trails. But way to many geese there. They have put putting, a small game area. Plenty to do.

Awesome Camping

Beautiful sites right on Tellico Lake. I have stayed here three times and really enjoyed it very much! Those that love Camping on the lake will love this place!

Beautifully landscaped upscale property

Sites are full hook up. Level. Fire rings. Picnic tables. Offers supreme patio sites as well. Swimming pool was warm and clean. Large play ground area. Dog park. Management was very polite and helpful.

Friendly Staff, clean grounds

We stayed just over a week. The staff is friendly and the grounds are kept very clean. Very family friendly.

Great morning swim

Hard to get to but worth the time. Go during swim season.

Good mtb spot

Has one of the best views of the lake and GSMNP that I know of…

Peaceful

Next to a wonderful creek that puts you right to sleep. Plenty of room and seclusion.

Great car camping in GSMNP

Even with out loops bathroom under renovation it was a great experience. You are in the middle of everything.

Nice little break spot

Not a place to camp but it’s a great little picnic area and a few nice trails to hike!

Awesome Trip

My old college roommate and I took a camping trip here and brought his golden retriever. It was a great little campground. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Great Place To Get Away

A large but secluded campground in the foot of the Appalachian mountains. The people at the park were very friendly and the park well kept. The lake was nice and provided a beautiful background for cool evenings watching the fireflies. Although we did not take advantage of some of the amenities, my wife went swimming and I went hiking a few times. I can’t vouch for the swimming area, but the hiking trails were well marked and maintained.

The facilities all worked as they should, and the park trash pickup came by at least a couple of times a day.

Do be aware that you will be out of touch when you stay here. There is almost no cell coverage, and wifi (weak wi-if) is only available at the office.

This campground is a welcome getaway. We will be back!