the dyrt
Uwharrie National Forest, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Uwharrie National Forest Camping Reviews
Great campground for kayaking and fishing

We have stayed at Badin Lake campground a couple times and would recommend it to anyone that likes to kayak and fish. Being able to camp on the water and just slide the kayaks in and out is great. There are trails around the lake to explore and the sites are nice size so you don’t feel like you are on top of other campers

Quiet place

I solo camped here for the first time last summer. Facilities were clean, whole campground was so quiet. Beautiful park, big lake, great hiking. Can't wait to go back.

What a lovely campground. Sites are long and wide but some have quite a slope to them. There are large shady trees but no vegetation between sites. 3 camp hosts that rotate duties. Walking path paved. Bike trails and horse trails. Near to I40 but any noise from that is very minimal. Full hookups. Wi fi present but not strong enough for any streaming. Will definitely return

Quiet weekend

I stayed for 2 nights in the beginning of March. There weren’t many other campers because the forecast called for rain all weekend but ended up only raining for a few hours one night, lucky me! The whole park was pretty quiet, including the trails. There was a nice tent pad with a fire pit and picnic table, and a man came around bringing wood for $5 a bundle if you needed it. We had a quite a few deer passing close by through the night! Was a nice, quiet, relaxing weekend!

Would be great if you have a boat

Sites are a little tight but, the view of the water was very nice. They have a snack bar, marina, fishing dock ,pool and picnic area.

Feels like old skool camping

Large park attached to campground. huge lake, carousel, train rides and small zoo. Campsites are standar size. wooded and bathouse were dated but, clean. Outside firewood was allowed and picnic shelters availble with volleyball and lots of trails.Huge playground in park.

Such a cute and clean family campground

Such a great little campground, nice wooded sites, lake, playground, pool and bonefires and djs on holidays. trails and fresh eggs in camp store from chickens on site. Goats and a horse also live here.

Wear bright colors during hunting season!

Make sure to wear bright colors during hunting season because there are a tong of people out deer hunting in this area. That being said there are a ton of great campsites that are private and secluded.

Random mountain in the middle of NC

Camping here is cheap and theres plenty to do if your outdoorsy there tons of hiking trails a plublic boat ramp to lake tillery fishing is allowed just a all around relaxing place

Simple but we were okay with that

We really liked this campground we had a double site that was huge it was minutes from uwharrie national forest and badin lake. We'll defiantly go back.

Decent older campground showing its age.

Holly Bluff is ok for a quiet getaway. It's an older place that they're trying to keep up with decent landscaping, etc. The mini-golf was in disrepair and closed. The game room was locked. The pool was good. The staff is friendly. Many 'permanent' trailers are in place, with gaudy outside decorations. Dog friendly, but we saw some running free. Hookups, picnic tables, and fire rings were on level sites. Rates are good, but they only accept cash or check.

Great stay

Loved my stay here with my family and extended family. NC was a perfect place to hold a family reunion. We camped here and 2 other places, and loved every second of it. We did some awesome hikes nearby, and also did some biking. The trails were great, as was the weather. NC is such a great state, and I honestly didnt know how much it had to offer outdoors. We loved staying at this campground, and actually had 4 spots with RVS. They had hookups, and water hookups as well. It was perfect for our large family get together. We used the fire pits they provided and cooked dinner over them. It was a little busy because if the summer months, but it was nice we had an RV. It was a little loud because of how many people there were, but once we got inside our RV we couldnt really hear anyone else. They had a great picnic area that was large enough for our family to have lunch. There was also a playground for the younger kids, and a basketball court as well. 1 bathroom on site, but luckily our RVs had bathrooms so we didnt have to use them. There was an awesome lake nearby that we found a cool rock to do some flips off of!

Week of Relaxation

This is an awesome campground. Great access to Badin Lake for kayaking, swimming and fishing. Our group explored the the trails which were scenic and easy to transverse. The bathrooms are well maintained and good freshwater source. The sites do not have power but we were able to work around it!

Not many sewer sites and difficult to get reservations.

This campground sells memberships. Lots of members, but few available sites as a result.

Convenient to Highway 64

Great place to spend some time. People and pet friendly. Adult and under 18 pools open seasonably. Gated and campers are given individual codes to get in after hours. Only negative is that they were working on remodeling their activity center. So, evening functions were limited.

Convenient to Triad Area

Very neat, clean and wooded campground. Large sites. Boating. Swimming. Close to interstates but not noisey. Can accommodate large rigs and have an open area for those traveling in tandum.

great place

awesome visit

awesome place

kitty at the front desk welcomed us to our stay. noticed what I think was a new sign that days tobacco free… hmmm

OK for an overnight stop, if you can handle the road noise

We stayed in site #18, which was a FHU pull-through. The site was fairly level, but quite short. Not enough room for us to keep our truck in front of our pop-up, which is what we look for in quick overnight stops. Also, it was a bit of a walk to the bath house, even though I specifically requested a site close to the bath house when I booked the reservation 8 months prior.

Bath house was ok. It was clean enough, but you could tell it was extremely old, and needed to be completely redone instead of just painted over. That was the general theme for much of the campground; very old, not particularly attractive or welcoming, and in need of a face-lift. The laundry room, however, was very nice, clean, and well-lit. I believe they only recently converted to a KOA, so it seemed like they were in the middle of some needed capital improvements. Still not worth the KOA prices at this time, in my opinion. Had a minor customer service issue at check-in, but decided the annoyance wasn't worth making a big deal so I got over it pretty quickly. Additionally, they closed the office at 7pm, which I found out when I went back to get some change for laundry after we set up. Being that this is a KOA Journey, one of the supposed features of this designation is extended office/check-in hours for travelers coming in for overnight stops, so I was surprised by this. However, the owners ended up pulling up right then to check on something in the office, and they very graciously agreed to get me some change while they were in there.

One other item of note: this CG is located right off I-40, which is very convenient, but the road noise is loud and constant. I had already expected this from reading other reviews, and they did make a bowl of free, disposable ear plugs available in the office, which was a nice gesture. The combination of the said ear plugs and exhaustion from a long day on the road allowed me to sleep pretty well, but if you’re at all sensitive to noise, it would be a deal-breaker.

It seems Greensboro offers all modern conveniences, and lots of things to do, but we didn’t explore beyond the CG.

Overall, this was an OK overnight stop for us between the Smokies and OBX (an almost perfect halfway point). Location is very convenient to the highway if you can handle the road noise. I wouldn’t stay here for more than a night, and honestly, if we were to take the same trip again, I’d likely look for a quieter (and certainly cheaper) option, even if it meant going a few miles out of the way.

We love this campground

My son is getting married in December in another city. We were looking for a place to stay that would be close to the venue and close to the bride’s family and happen upon this little gem. Full hookups (30 & 50 amp), WiFi and cable. Owners are great - so much so that our entire camping family is going to stay there the week of the wedding. Owners have been very accommodating with putting us all together.

Met several campers who said they stay there all the time on their way to and from Florida. Nice stopping off point.

Sites on the Lake, clean and easy access

I rented my site online and was pleased by the low price for a campsite on a lake. The road in is a little rough but not too crazy. There is not an office or anything once you arrive (so no last minute supplies) but there is a paystation if you show up and want to camp. The camp host puts out signs of when the sites are rented so that you can find an empty site for a night.

Bathrooms were clean and well lite. There is a trail that takes you around the lake edge, easy walking. Not a lots if fishing right from the edge by the campsites due to tall grasses but there is a great fishing area with docks in a short drive or 20 min walk.

Was on site 18…we had 2 tents and 2 cars and plenty of room.

Great getaway! Family friendly, relaxing, but plenty to do!

The campground hosts, Tom and Jan were absolutely amazing! Everyone is very friendly and helpful. We were only there Fri-Sun but there were activities planned to include an outdoor movie (with free popcorn), arts & crafts for the kids, candy bar bingo, and a DJ. There is a putt putt course, pool, adults only pool and lounge, family lounge with small arcade games, pool table, and other games, a grill, small shop with ice cream (you have to try the ice cream sandwich with chocolate chip cookies 😍).

We would suggest either bringing a golf cart, or renting one. There are miles and miles of trails in the woods, along the river bank, and along the lake. We (2 adults, a 5 year old girl, and a 4 month old puppy) had a great time and can’t wait to go back!

Our campsite backed up to a hill, but it was shady and extremely welcomed during the hot days!

Away is away!

We live just a few miles from Dan Nicholas, but love to “get away” there any chance we get. Plenty to do, super nice folks, and roomy, shady sites. The kids take their bikes, but even without them, they stay plenty busy. The lake offers fishing, paddle boating and feeding the ducks and it’s inly a short walk from any campsite. Hubby and I walk the trails, play putt-putt and catch up in our naps in our hammocks. The folks in the store are always pleasant and helpful. Can’t wait to go back!

Friendliest staff

Geast campground, lots of shad. Some of the sites are very steep. Situated in a beautiful park with lots of activities. Dog park. Trails. Nearby lake, pool

State Park - rural location

This is a state park in a rural location but has a nice lake and wooded areas. Would be fun for short stays but not much more to do if staying more than a couple days

camping at Morrow

it’s pretty big with lots of sites to choose from!

Twice a visitor

I went for a weekend with my girlfriends and then went with three families and stayed at a group site. if you have enough people the group site is amazing. we were able to be on our own and had great facilities for showering. This is by far my favorite place to go camping.

Great for families that want to be in bed by 9

The campground and bathhouse was very clean. There is room for a couple tents at each site. There are quiet hours after a certain time of night. The camp host yelled at us twice for TALKING at a low volume after quiet hours. Unfortunately we somehow ended up at the sites right next ti his, so maybe it would be better a little farther from the camp host… but needless to say, we wont be back. We will be going somewhere that we can actually ENJOY camping.

Cool place...

Kids loved the fishing pond and other activities.

Membership offers 4 day 3 night camping free if you tour the campground

Beautiful campground, meticulously maintained. Store , restaurant, pool, dog park, kayak on lake,putt putt, cornhole, shuffleboard, horseshoes just to name a few