the dyrt
About Oregon Inlet Campground
Oregon Inlet Campground is the northernmost campground on Cape Hatteras National Seashore. When camping here, you are within a short distance of the full service town of Nags Head to the north, and the world class fishing at Oregon Inlet to the south. Recreation The beach adjacent to the campground can be reached by foot from your campsite as well as by vehicle with a Cape Hatteras Off-Road Vehicle Permit. Popular activities include fishing, swimming, surfing, birding, and shell hunting. The calmer waters of the sound to the west of the campground can be accessed at the public boat launch at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. Popular sound side opportunities include crabbing, clamming, paddle-boarding, boating, and fishing. Facilities Each of the three loops in the campground have a bath house with flush toilets, potable water, and heated outdoor showers. Each campsite has a paved parking pad, picnic table, and charcoal grill. There are limited sites with RV hook-ups. A dump and water fill station are located directly across Highway 12 at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, and are free of charge for campers. Natural Features The campground is located on the east side of the barrier island, just a short walk through the dunes to the expansive waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Sea Oats and other native flowering plants blanket the dunes providing a picturesque backdrop for your camping experience. Nearby Attractions The historic Bodie Island Lighthouse is approximately four miles north of Oregon Inlet Campground on NC Highway 12. From the third Friday in April until Columbus Day visitors can climb the lighthouse with a ticket that can be purchased in the lighthouse visitor center. Coquina Beach Day Use Area is located directly across HWY 12 from the Bodie Island Lighthouse access road. The day use area provides a vehicle free beach perfect for families. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Coquina Beach is staffed with lifeguards to ensure the safety of visitors. Other amenities at Coquina Beach include a bathhouse with outdoor cold showers, flush toilet restrooms, water fountains, and a boardwalk to the beach. ADA Access: N
Sites
No Market
No Sewer Hookups
Oregon Inlet Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
North (From Richmond, VA) Follow I-95 South to Richmond, VA. Take I-64 East toward Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA. Take I-64 or I-664 to Chesapeake, VA. From I-64, take Exit 291B to Route 168, the Chesapeake Expressway (a toll-road costing $3.00- $6.00 each way). Once in North Carolina, Route 168 turns into US-158 East. Follow US-158 East through Nags Head, NC to the junction of NC-12 South. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. West (From Rocky Mount, NC) Follow US-64 East through Tarboro, Williamston, Plymouth, Columbia, and Manteo, crossing the Alligator River Bridge and the Virginia Dare Bridge. Keep going on US-64 East to Nags Head, NC, going over the Washington Baum Bridge, to the junction of NC-12 South. Turn right onto NC-12 South and you will be at the north entrance. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. South (From Florence, SC) Take I-95 North to Wilson, NC. Take US-264 East through Greenville, NC and Washington, NC. From Washington, NC, take US-17 to Williamston and follow US-64 East to Nags Head, NC and the junction of NC-12 South. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet.
13 Reviews of Oregon Inlet Campground
Fall / spring for us

Nice beach and dunes.

Camp among the dunes

Pros: You'll hear the ocean waves pretty much all night from all or most sites, and the star viewing is also great here. Showers are free, although they are not heated. I visited in October, and found insects were not really a problem; in another national seashore campground the next night they were, but I think here the lack of grass really helps keep the mosquitoes down. I was able to sit outside at night for a few hours with very few bites. Most areas of the campground have a walk to the beach through the dunes that's less than 1/4 mile long, so you can definitely visit the beach easily while staying here. I was able to hike out to the beach one morning in less than 10 minutes to view the sunrise.

Cons: no real privacy between sites because there are no shade trees. The facilities are pretty outdated, especially the showers. That's it though - I'd camp here again for sure!

Lovely

There are only a few sites with electricity. The sites are spaced out next to dunes by the ocean. Very lovely when we were there in October with very few other people and very few bugs. . It can get very windy at times. The bathrooms were beautiful and the showers nice and warm. The campground is right next to the road and construction is constantly audible. But we didn’t hang out in the campground anyway.

Beautiful campsite with beach and sunrises

Wonderful site with nice showers, fishing access, swimming, hiking, breezy-ocean mist.

Great camping in the sand dunes

I camped here on the first night of my Outer Banks trip and it was a great place to stay. Just over the dunes from the beach, hot water in the showers, and close enough to Nags Head to check out some great seafood restaurants.

Great beach campground

Great beach camping. Nice outside showers. Only disadvantage was no playground for the kids.

Hard to beat camping on the beach

We arrived late (which we seem to do a lot!) Self check-in was easy.

Sites are nestled within the dunes. You can hear the waves from your spot. Bathrooms were fairly clean. Showers were a little tough to use. Not enough hooks and very small.

The beach is beautiful. Big waves and strong currents made it a little scary with our 7-year-old but we still had a great time. Only stayed one night and I wish we had at least 2 days or more.

Buggy but Beautiful

Loved camping here! The campground is a short walk over the dunes to the beach and close to other points of interest such as Wright Brothers National Memorial, Jockey’s Ridge State Park and the town of Nags Head. The bItIng insects were vicious so don’t forget bug spray. But it was summer near the beach, so what do you expect? We treated our tent with permethrin after the first night which seemed to help a lot.

Beautiful but hot

Beautiful campground on the beach. Close to the Kitty Hawk area and the Bodie Island Lighthouse. No shade and manmade dune makes for very hot camping. Bath house was clean and close by. We arrived right before a holiday weekend and it was gearing up to be kind of rowdy. Watch out for prickly pear cacti. I went walking through the dune in flip flops and came back with several stuck to my leg. It did not feel good for sure.

I love this campground! I‘ve been here twice now and plan on returning again when I can. It’s a short walk to the beach; I love waking up early and walking down to the beach to see the sunrise. Oftentimes I‘ll be the only one one the beach. I‘ve seen lots of cool wildlife on the beach and at the nearby Pea Island Wildlife Refuge.

Definitely stay In the fall or early Spring as it can get very hot at the campground.

We drove to CoquIna Beach durIng the day for our regular beach time. It‘s just a 5 minute drive and has lifeguards, restrooms, etc.

It’s a short drive to Nag‘s Head where you can find restaurants and shops. I recommend Miller‘s for great seafood and a view of the sound.

There is so much to do in this area, and I really enjoyed camping by the sea!