About Oregon Inlet Campground

Oregon Inlet Campground is the northernmost campground on Cape Hatteras National Seashore. When camping here, you are within a short distance of the full service town of Nags Head to the north, and the world class fishing at Oregon Inlet to the south.

Recreation

The beach adjacent to the campground can be reached by foot from your campsite as well as by vehicle with a Cape Hatteras Off-Road Vehicle Permit. Popular activities include fishing, swimming, surfing, birding, and shell hunting. The calmer waters of the sound to the west of the campground can be accessed at the public boat launch at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. Popular sound side opportunities include crabbing, clamming, paddle-boarding, boating, and fishing.

Facilities

Each of the three loops in the campground have a bath house with flush toilets, potable water, and heated outdoor showers. Each campsite has a paved parking pad, picnic table, and charcoal grill. There are limited sites with RV hook-ups. A dump and water fill station are located directly across Highway 12 at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, and are free of charge for campers.

Natural Features

The campground is located on the east side of the barrier island, just a short walk through the dunes to the expansive waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Sea Oats and other native flowering plants blanket the dunes providing a picturesque backdrop for your camping experience.

Nearby Attractions

The historic Bodie Island Lighthouse is approximately four miles north of Oregon Inlet Campground on NC Highway 12. From the third Friday in April until Columbus Day visitors can climb the lighthouse with a ticket that can be purchased in the lighthouse visitor center. Coquina Beach Day Use Area is located directly across HWY 12 from the Bodie Island Lighthouse access road. The day use area provides a vehicle free beach perfect for families. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Coquina Beach is staffed with lifeguards to ensure the safety of visitors. Other amenities at Coquina Beach include a bathhouse with outdoor cold showers, flush toilet restrooms, water fountains, and a boardwalk to the beach.

ADA Access: N

Sites
130
Price
$28.00 - $35.00
National Park Service
Oregon Inlet Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
North (From Richmond, VA) Follow I-95 South to Richmond, VA. Take I-64 East toward Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA. Take I-64 or I-664 to Chesapeake, VA. From I-64, take Exit 291B to Route 168, the Chesapeake Expressway (a toll-road costing $3.00- $6.00 each way). Once in North Carolina, Route 168 turns into US-158 East. Follow US-158 East through Nags Head, NC to the junction of NC-12 South. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. West (From Rocky Mount, NC) Follow US-64 East through Tarboro, Williamston, Plymouth, Columbia, and Manteo, crossing the Alligator River Bridge and the Virginia Dare Bridge. Keep going on US-64 East to Nags Head, NC, going over the Washington Baum Bridge, to the junction of NC-12 South. Turn right onto NC-12 South and you will be at the north entrance. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. South (From Florence, SC) Take I-95 North to Wilson, NC. Take US-264 East through Greenville, NC and Washington, NC. From Washington, NC, take US-17 to Williamston and follow US-64 East to Nags Head, NC and the junction of NC-12 South. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet.
19 Reviews of Oregon Inlet Campground
Excellent Location

Let's cover the negatives first- The "tent pads" are small. The sites are exposed. The bugs are vicious.

Now, the good stuff- This place is right in Nags Head, which is a gorgeous little town. It's basically on the beach (short walk through the dunes). Nice, hot showers. Not far from Bodie Island lighthouse. Near some great fishing. Close to the pier. Probably 20 minutes from the Write Brothers Memorial. I could go on and on.

If you stay here, do yourself a favor and bring a big beach umbrella. There are no trees. Also, be aware, you'll need bug spray especially right when you get out of the shower. The mosquitoes can be horrific.

Perfect location

Husband and I and 2 dogs stayed July 14-20th. The campsites are well maintained. They have bathrooms and outside showers with warmish water. The ocean is just a few minutes walk over the dunes. Campground was quiet even though it was full. We did have to be careful of sand burrs/prickles. And bugs/mosquitoes.  We were prepared for this so we had no issues. We had a fantastic time.

The beauty of the camping area is outweighed by the incompetence of the park staff

Its like running a hotel, on the website it says if your going to be later than 7 call, we were so we did they knew we were staying two days, they told us to pick any spot, don’t tell people to pick spots if other people have reserved spots. We were told to pick any spot we did then the next day they told us that people had reserves the spot we were in, (thats why we called to make sure) now I’m here moving all of my stuff i had set up because the ranger staff is incompetent. The spot is beautiful the ocean is amazing but I’m here in this amazing place in a pissy mood because of the staff. Get your stuff together please.

Great beach camping

Absolutely loved this campground. The facilities were great, the lots were of good size, not too close together and well groomed. It isn’t right on the beach, but the dunes are gorgeous and the walk over them is just a hop and a skip. I loved the breeze and the ocean waves at night, absolutely perfect. Will be back again soon!

One on my favorites in the Carolina’s

I have been here many times. The cold water showers sound horrible, but after a hot day on the beach they are fantastic. You are allowed to drive on the beach here. That is nice. Dogs are allowed. Last time I went my son caught a sea horse!! Amazing.

Great campground just steps from the ocean - with views of the Lighthouse!

Oregon Inlet Campground is located on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. It is the first campground found on the island, very close to Nags Head, on the beach side of route 12.

We prefer campgrounds like Oregon Inlet, because they are natural and have beautiful scenery. We love being within steps of the ocean and being able to stare at the tip of the lighthouse (Bodie Island - you can tell by the direction of the stripes!) through the dunes. The Outer Banks also has some amazing stars - we watched a meteor shower which was incredible!!

Oregon Inlet Campground has a loop (Loop A) which only allows tent camping. Most of the sites are pretty close together (many too close for our comfort) but there are a couple that are tucked back in the dunes and a bit further away from the rest.

This campground has free hot showers - just pull the ring and nice warm water runs for about 20 seconds before shutting off. Outside the bathhouse there is a water fountain that has a water bottle fill up station - which is SO nice at the beach!!! We were able to refill waterbottles easily - with water we felt good about drinking! It also did not have the salty taste that many beach water fountains do!

Fall / spring for us

Nice beach and dunes.

Camp among the dunes

Pros: You'll hear the ocean waves pretty much all night from all or most sites, and the star viewing is also great here. Showers are free, although they are not heated. I visited in October, and found insects were not really a problem; in another national seashore campground the next night they were, but I think here the lack of grass really helps keep the mosquitoes down. I was able to sit outside at night for a few hours with very few bites. Most areas of the campground have a walk to the beach through the dunes that's less than 1/4 mile long, so you can definitely visit the beach easily while staying here. I was able to hike out to the beach one morning in less than 10 minutes to view the sunrise.

Cons: no real privacy between sites because there are no shade trees. The facilities are pretty outdated, especially the showers. That's it though - I'd camp here again for sure!

Lovely

There are only a few sites with electricity. The sites are spaced out next to dunes by the ocean. Very lovely when we were there in October with very few other people and very few bugs. . It can get very windy at times. The bathrooms were beautiful and the showers nice and warm. The campground is right next to the road and construction is constantly audible. But we didn’t hang out in the campground anyway.

Beautiful campsite with beach and sunrises

Wonderful site with nice showers, fishing access, swimming, hiking, breezy-ocean mist.