the dyrt
Tusquitee National Forest, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Tusquitee National Forest Camping Reviews
Nice family camping area, does get crowded in the summer and cost to camp.

Geta a little crowded in the summer, but nice place for kids to ride bikes and such.

Very nice area for camping with horses

This is a campground for horses, you don't have a direct view of the water, but do have access to it

The ruff way to camping

If you want to ruff it this is the way to go

Smokey mountains

Nice group campsites. Clean and nice facilities!

Camping on top of a mountain

There is a long road up the side of the mountain to get to the campground, which is a tough pull for campers. But, on top is a nice camping area with lots of views. The spot we got was level and had water and electric. We just missed an even nicer site because we got lost on the drive there. Waterfall hike was beautiful with wildflowers. Whitewater rafting not too far away on the Ocoee River.

Packed like sardines

We spent a weekend here with a group of friend for a rafting trip. Big mistake! The sites are so closely packed you could not eat at the picnic tables without being in someone else’s site. Couldn’t make a fire in the fire ring because it was right next to the RV in the next site. Over priced. Over crowded. Won’t go back!

Beautiful! Such an awesome place to soak up some nature.

My wife and I have been to Raven Cliffs a few times but never camped. Well we finally decided to do an overnighter and it was well worth the blowout we had on the interstate and the creepy tow truck driver and the Walmart tire center that was closed but fixed our tire anyway! But Raven cliffs offers both walk-in campsite and a lot of hike to camp sites. The trail has some great views and different terrain from small creek crossings to some steep hills and valleys. There is a restroom and trash receptacles at the trailhead and they are very close to the walk-in camp sites. There is plenty of room for group camping at both the walk-in and hike to sites. The trail is also pet friendly so you get to see a lot of pups on the trail. If you want a walk-in campsite and it’s the weekend, you better get there early. We arrived at dusk on a Friday and got the last walk-in site available. Overall, I highly recommend coming here and staying a night or two! Love this place.

One of my favorite trails in Georgia

Panther Creek was honestly my trip into the world of hiking and backpacking (aside from my military experience). But mice wife got me into hiking again and now we are backpacking a lot! Panther Creek has become probably my favorite place for a great weekend. The hike in campsites are plentiful and most already have fire rings. The trail is well maintained and always clean. Lots of great views here! The falls are a great spot to string up a hammock and just enjoy nature to the fullest. This place is pet friendly and you will see a lot of friendly pups on the trail. At the trailhead you do have s bathroom for those that don’t plan to stay overnight or just want the convenience. Overall Panther Creek is a must see must hike!

Fun and clean

wonderful campground. It was definitely packed but everyone stayed pretty quiet even when kids were playing around the sites. Super clean sites and bath houses. Water on EACH site was the bomb! Homemade icecream at the old mill campground was a major bonus

Hiking -Fishing-Boating -Swimming

This park has it all! It is one if the prettiest parks in Georgia. There is so much to do. Waterfalls, the Appalachian Trail, large lake, swimming beach. An abundance of camp sites, many with full hookup.

Dirty, Run Down, and witch of owner

I gave this a 1 star, if I could have given ZERO I would have. Gorgeous location that was dead as a doornail and no wonder considering it was poorly maintained and had horrible management. I booked this place because it had pretty creeks on site and we wanted to have a fishing activity but after check in we discovered you can’t fish onsite which is the stupidest thing and negates the one draw of the place. The owner nickel and dimes everyone to death, they want all of their money up front and have a zero refund policy. We paid an outrageous nightly fee of $55, no weekly discount, another “conservation” fee on top of that and NOT family friendly. Only allowed two children per site otherwise more charges, and although we only had one child we were charged $10 a day EXTRA because he was a high schooler over 15 and she considered him an adult who needed to pay a daily fee. What a bunch of BS! The bathrooms had no heat and half the light bulbs were out then halfway through a shower the rest of the lights go out because they are on a timer. Two days into our trip the showers and toilets were completely shut down (and never repaired), and the laundry facilities were never functioning; they were broken, rusted out and the most disgusting I have ever seen, after opening the door I would not even step into the room. The men’s bathroom had a literal one inch layer of mold in the soap dispenser bag. They bunkhouse for hikers had doors falling off and the insides were in shambles and overrun with critters. We talked to an older couple who had just checked into a cabin for two nights. The cabin was so dirty the wife had to clean everything before they unpacked and would not touch the tub. They were going to forfeit their money and leave. A tent camper (who is charged almost the same as an RV) came in late, no one at the office, poorly marked lots so they were wondering around on the dark and then they discovered the bathhouse was shut down and they couldn’t even use the toilets. No one had informed them of this but of course it didn’t matter because they do not give refunds! This place is a non-profit who gets tax breaks and grant money, hard to see how they are non-profit with all of the price gauging and they obviously are not putting any money into maintenance.

Spot On The Lake

This area is really clean! And for a family that camps alot that's a big deal. They have a range of camping options. They are either right on the water or about a 100yd walk away. Would recommend for anyone wanting a nice view of the lake

Beware

This is a beautiful area, but I’m sure that there are many campgrounds in the area that are as if not even more beautiful. The manager and owner of the campground are very aggressive and have a tendency to make the experience very unpleasant. Also the farm and none of the campground is organic, the owner is not a certified farm and did not even know what organic or non gmo was. Also the cabins have mold on the wood ceilings and wood work. I will definitely pass on this one for our next trip. Also please go to the Cherokee Heritagr website and the county assessors web page and you will learn that this land is not in trust nor was it even Cherokee land. This is a sham playing in Native American heritage and while living. Also there is no restaurant, the laundry room and bathroom/showers were closed down, the store was a joke, we went to buy milk and they sold us rice milk that we later learned had already been opened and was out of date. The place is very run down and not up kept for the cost. The site fee is also 55 a night and 5 extra for each pet per night.

Pretty views

Nice clean campground lots of waterfront.

Wonderfully forested and friendly campground

I stayed at this campground in 2013 (3 days) and I have scheduled to go there again for a week in May 2019.This is a KOA and even though I normally am not a fan of KOAs this place is very different. It is small and heavily treed so the campground does NOT look like a parking lot. There seemed to be amble space between sites. There is an awesome gold-bearing creek alongside the camp which is too cool. The place is pet friendly, the owner is awesome, the price is reasonable. There is an acre field for dogs to be off leash and run, you can tube in the creek, they have nice cabins. The bathhouse was older when I was there but from what I understand it has been remodeled in recent years….but I don't go camping to explore the bathrooms so I don't really care about them. This is a great family site and it is fairly quiet, so if you are like me and you camp to GET AWAY from noise and drama, then this is the place!!

One of my favorites

My wife and I hiked part of the Appalachian Trail in March 2018. The last 3 days of our 14 day trip we camped here just to get couple nights at a regular camp site. I really like this place. Next time we might stay at the squirrels nest.

Great Family campground.

A family owned and operated, 11 acre full service, pet friendly camping facility. We are conveniently located just 20 minutes outside the historic town of Murphy North Carolina, at an elevation of 1850 feet, surrounded by mountains! Closer to the natural beauty the area is known for. We are nestled in the center of a peaceful valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains that surround us. The campsites border the many bubbling streams that pass through our valley.

A Full Service Campground, we have 2 separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities, 3 Bunkhouses as well as Primitive sites.  We have a large pavilion for your group meetings, family reunions, fully lighted with electricity available.

All time favorite campground!

This is my favorite campground! It could be because I’ve been camping in Cades Cove every year since I was 5. I’m 30 now & married my husband at the missionary baptist church in cades cove in 2014. Many good memories have been made in this campground. It’s primitive $20 a night no hook ups large wooded sites. One loop generators are allowed & another loop they aren’t so that’s nice. It’s peaceful & very quiet. There’s a river that runs a long the outside of the campground. Good swimming holes. A store that sells food (the best ice cream), firewood & camping supplies. They also have bike & helmets for rent. They’re very strict about bear proofing your campsite. All my years camping there I’ve seen many bear walking through the campground. So it’s for your safety & the bears that you obey the rules. The rangers walk around frequently & make sure no ice chest or grills have been left out so before you leave your campsite make sure to pick those items up or they will get confiscated & you will get a little ticket. Again it’s all for your & the bears safety. The 11 mile loop is closed for vehicles on wed & sat mornings until 10:00 am so bikes can ride through. I highly recommend walking or riding your bike through early in the morning or in the afternoon. There is a halfway point to use the restroom & buy some souvenirs. Also there is a road called parsons branch most of the time it’s closed but we’ve been lucky a few times & it’s been open. Definitely need a suv or truck to drive down it bc you cross over water a few times. EXTREMELY PEACEFUL! All 3 times we’ve driven it we never saw anyone else. It’s a narrow road & you end up on the dragon in North Carolina so you’ll have a nice drive down the foothills parkway to get back. Also rich mountain road is beautiful to drive down in the fall. It will bring you back out in townsend.

The best!!

This is my 2nd favorite campground ever! The sites are huge, the river running through is perfect for inter tubbing, good swimming areas, tons of hiking, & beautiful scenery. PEACEFUL!! My parents started bringing me camping here when I was 9 we’d come every year for a week. I’m 30 & married now so I drag my husband camping here ha I still tube on the river & hiking is the best. My favorite time to come is summer. I’ve camped there twice during the synchronized firefly show (definitely look it up if you haven’t heard of it). The campground closes from Nov-March but you can still go in & hike. March is a gorgeous time to go & there aren’t a lot of people camping around that time. It’s primitive so there aren’t any hook ups at all. There aren’t showers but they have many nice bathhouses set up that have toilets & sinks. Highly recommend!!

Hidden gem

Love this place. Nice lake. Hiking trail, beach, swimming, fishing. Nice bathrooms with showers. Camp store and best of all no cell service! Near falls and the skyway to dragon scenic route. Joyce Kilmer memorial forest has some huge trees about a mile in on a hike.

Best Campground in NC

We have been camping for years, and hands down Deep Creek is the best. I recommend calling at least 6 months ahead during the summer months to get a creekside spot. The location is just outside Bryson City NC. And offers fine dining and craft brewed beers from the Nantahala Brewing Co. Just 15 minutes from the NOC offering rafting zip lining, and mountain biking. I can't say enough good things about this Campground.

Feels like family

We love big meadow We were there long term for a few months while house hunting and they took very good care of us Clean and safe We never had to worry about our son roaming around with our dog and his bike Also you have the awesome Little river right in your front yard. So close to hiking and kayaking.

Nice

Very quiet in winter

Great campground

Very busy in summer but very nice in winter.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Ocoee Outdoors Rafter Campground

If you float the Upper, Middle or Lower with Ocoee Outdoors ask if you can stay on a tent site or in a lean to. The campground was the former bunk house for the season raft guides until “that guy” ruined it for everyone. Now it’s selectively available for clients upon request and has a full bath house on site. You may end up having the place to yourself which can be a plus.

Hiwassee Outfitters

Excellent sites, small outfitter store with food, drink, sundries. Breakfast & Lunch Diner. Multiple Float Rental types including sit in, sit on and inflatable kayaks. Shuttle to top for put in and take out at camp ground on the river. Clean bath house and hot showers. This is a popular location for the regional university students so expect a bit of a hootenanny to surround and welcome you. If you’re not down with everyone having a good time, choose the Forest Service Primitive sites just up the road a piece

Quiet/Peaceful

We love camping here! We usually camp in the 3rd site when you enter at the ranger station. It is usually nice and quiet. Last yr we decided to try the out side loop across from the nature trail this site provided alot more excitement as someone fell on the nature trail. Then we had 3 unexpected visitors for dinner (mom an her 2 cubs). The next morning we saw a deer and her fawn across the street. Just love the nature and feeling of camp everyone is friendly. We can leave camp during the day and not worry about it. (Great spot to camp and walk the cove when closed to traffic!)

Great campground

During winter campground is very quiet, no power at sites, it does have hot showers.

Large full-hookup RV sites with a few tent sites and several rental cabins.

This is the most well kept campground you will ever find! Very friendly and helpful staff will bend over backwards to help with any issue you may have. Store, game room, playground, mini golf, pool, basketball court, fishing, shuffleboard, and large event building. Something for everyone to enjoy!