National Forests in North Carolina, NORTH CAROLINA

Camping North Carolina National Forests in North Carolina
Most Recent National Forests in North Carolina Camping Reviews
Peaceful

Close to Caesars Head and Table Rock. Full hookups, and the staff helps you back in and level up. Great service. Short drive to grocery and fresh produce stands.

Im home.

Love this place. Next to the lake. Quite, friendly clean. Good bathroom.

Nice a Quite

Way out in the middle of nowhere

Small Campground with a Friendly Atmosphere Adjacent to Lots of Things to D

This small campground is conveniently located close to the casino in Cherokee, the town of Cherokee, and along Soco Creek. It is within the Qualla boundary of the Cherokee Reservation. This is the second time I have stayed at this campground, and it has changed a little since the first time. There are more cabins and RV sites than I remember from my first visit. It is still a quiet and peaceful little campground. If you enjoy trout fishing, this is an ideal place for it. The creek is stocked on a regular basis. The host was nice and very helpful. There is a store where you can get basic camping supplies. Some of the tent sites have raised gravel pads, and some are just gravel. Large groups, such as Scouts or church groups, have the option of staying in their bunkhouses. It appeared to me that all of the sites have water and electricity, if I am not mistaken. For RVs, there is a mixture of back-in and pull-through sites. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of privacy since the sites are relatively close, but you get a sense of community here. I spoke to an elderly couple who were very friendly. At night, the creek pretty much drowns out the sounds from the road. Because of the location of this campground, you will find lots of things to do. If you are not into casinos, there is the whole Cherokee Indian culture to explore with the museum, the outdoor drama(during the summer), the Oconaluftee Indian Village, and more. Thousands of people come to Cherokee every year to see the elk, which most times can be found close to the Oconaluftee Visitors Center. There is also the Mountain Farm Museum and Mingus Mill. There is just so much to see and do close to this campground. Overall, this is a great little campground, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

A water lovers dream

This lake was beautiful. Great views of lake and mountains. The water was warm in October. Site #27 was good. Some sites were unlevel and on a steep grade and close with minimal greenery between. The walk-in tent sites were excellent. All sites had table, fire ring, lantern hook, and a gravel tent pad in addition to paved site. Most of the sites were shaded. Bathrooms were good with a big laundry area. There weren't really any paths to bathroom so it would be difficult in the dark if you were further away. We took a waterfall boat tour which was excellent. There are several paths to get to lake from different spots in campground. Which are like a private beach area. This park/campground is very busy on weekends but Sunday night it emptied out. Bring your boat, floats, kayaks, canoes. There is not much in area outside park. There was a Dollar General store within 15 minutes. The park store was well stocked with many items. Park staff were not that friendly. There are several boat ramps in park. Divers also use this lake since the lake is clear.

Great campsite

30 minute drive to Mount Mitchell State Park - our hiking destination. The campsites closer to Mitchell were reserved. This campground has 20 rv spots & 70 renting spots. $20 per day. There’s a great 2.5 mile hike to Crabtree falls within the campground.

14a

Amazing site and campground.

Killer sites - most alongside as creek - mere yards from a gorgeous College

We abandoned plans to stay at place in Old Fort (see listing for Catawba Falls) and ended up here as a last chance before having to hit a hotel to turn back around to CLT.  Boy, were we happy with our choice.  Nice bathhouse w/ heated showers, super nice semi-primitive sites, half of them alongside a creek, the others are mere steps away.  Lovely homes line the drive up and you are on land owned by Montreat College, a private Presbyterian-affiliated liberal arts college you hope your grandkids are smart enough to get into.  Stately buildings, a lake, hiking and walking paths galore.  Just the right amount of civilization - wood to purchase, flush toilets.  Spotty cell service - if you have T Mobile forget it, if you have Verizon you're golden.  I saw trailers in several spaces but it looks like a TIGHT squeeze in many sites.  Tent sites are plentiful and lovely.  Check in down the hill at the stately Assembly Inn hotel.  Like the campground and the surrounding area - the people are total class and you cannot get a better price and location this close to Asheville.

Armpit of a trailer park

Let's be honest.  There's campgrounds and there's places that wish they are something other than what they are.  This place reeks of old school charm - if you can look past the lines of semi-permanent RVs, the millimeter wide spacing between the tent sites and the express lack of parking on site.  We paid for our site, arrived, looked at the disaster that awaited us, and wisely moved up the road to a real campground - Montreat Campground.  Avoid this place unless it is your only option.

Probably the coolest place to camp in South Carolina.

Book your trip a few months in advance, get a spot on the water. Sites are a little small, and close together, but the sunrise from your tent/site is totally worth it. Amazing water clarity, bring a kayak. If you enjoy fishing there’s great trout.

Very nice

We have been a few times and really like it. The staff are very friendly. The bath houses and park are always really clean.

Cataloochee Campground

This was a nice campground. A creek ran along one side and a small stream on the other side. The camp sites were nice and consisted of a fire pit, pic-nic table, and raised bed for your tent. There was only one bathroom but the campground was small enough that it wasn’t too far of a walk. The bathrooms had a sink in the middle for washing dishes. The campground included a water pump as well. The campground was an extremely short walk to a trail head and less than a 2 minute drive from where you could see elk and Turkey from your car. The only negatives were you were next to a road, and while you couldn’t see the cars, you could hear them but there was very little traffic, and you were at least 20 minutes from any store in case you needed ice, or something of that nature.

Served us well

Got there in time to catch a first come first served rv site and glad we did! Nice big site. Helpful staff. Great location. Explored Asheville but would like to check out the area more next time like the trails and such.

We have stayed at better

We decided to rent a camping cabin for the weekend. The cabin was fine for what we needed for the weekend. I didn’t feel like the people that worked there were very friendly and I didn’t get the sense that they took a lot of pride in the campground. The bathrooms could have been swept and cleaned a lot better. There was trash around the campground that I felt would have been picked up at other campgrounds we have visited. We camp a lot…This campground has so much potential. It just needs a more welcoming staff and a little more attention to details. I’m usually a tent camper, so I’m not very picky. I might return for a quick weekend trip if I can’t find another place, but I can’t see myself staying there for a week.

Off the beaten path

A couple buddies and I went camping on table rock, found a cave, crawled through it for about 100 feet and found the most beautiful camping spot we have ever seen. 10/10 would never tell the spot

In the hills

I visited Moonshine Creek Campground with a group of friends. There had been mudslides over the winter so there were renovations going on. The sites are close together BUT so skillfully incorporated into the architecture that you really don’t notice. Cute cabins to rent and secluded tent sites, all with a stream running through the middle of the campground. My site was right next to the stream and little covered bridge. It sounded like it was always raining. We used the pavilion for get togethers, it has a nice kitchen area with a grill. Right outside the pavilion is a pit campfire for groups. There are cabins and sites up along the hillside which have a view and a little more privacy. Town is close by and window shopping is a must. There are several hiking opportunities in the area.

Gorgeous Views

The views are extraordinary, the staff are very helpful and work hard to maintain the beauty of the park and the bath houses and laundry facilities were extremely clean. If you do not stay here, you are totally missing out on some amazing views! Getting to the top has some steep roads so just go slow. Highly recommend this campground, we will be back.

Nice Campground in Cherokee

Nice and quiet campground. They have security that rides through frequently. It is family friendly, has laundromat and a game room. Very clean campground, friendly staff, and has several spaces right on the creek. The spaces have large gravel which is better suited for rv’s and campers than a tent.

Awesome Campground

We had the best time and found everything wonderful! Wonderful area with so much hiking to do. The bath houses were centrally located and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The sites were great. We will be returning!

Great RV Park

We stayed here August 16-19 in our 39ft motorhome and toad. Buck Creek has easy access and nice campsites. The property is well kept. The owner was very hospitable.
It was convenient to visit Linville Falls and Mount Mitchell.

Two different experiences

The first time we stayed at Curtis Creek Campground, we had a great overall experience. We have a Jeep with a rooftop tent, and our friends have a pop-up camper. We shared site 11, and that was really the only site we would consider at this campground as the sites were close together and have no privacy between sites. We parked our jeep on the tent pad, and the pop-up between the jeep and site 10. That way, we had privacy as we were at the end of the loop where one side was wooded. The sites come with a nice fire pit and picnic table, there is water available and the pit toilets were immaculate on that visit. There is good access to Curtis Creek for fishing or hanging out, and the little bit of traffic on the adjacent road was not obtrusive. We liked it so much we returned a second weekend. We gave it a 5 star rating as a group for that site and our experience.

The camp hosts had changed between our first and second visits, and the second time it wasn't quite as pleasant. The amenities had not changed, but the cleanliness of the pit toilets had. They were not filthy, but were not being maintained as well as previously. There was a foul odor that would frequently come from the vents for the pit toilet, making it unpleasant to be at our campsite. I don't know if we were just down wind and it was at the end of its cycle and needing maintenance, but it changed our mind on coming back again as sewer odors just didn't mix with our camp dinners well. We gave it a 3 for that weekend.

It is a small campground, with good parking and RV sites. The road going in was rutted the first time, but had been graded by the time we went the second time - there were a couple of one lane bridges and a turn or two that might be tight for a large RV. Make sure you bring firewood, there is none sold at the site and we couldn't find any to purchase in Old Fort, we had to go to a larger town in order to find some. Overall, it is a good site but not quite our style if we weren't camping with friends as we would have felt like there was no privacy.

Quad Overload of Steps

I'll admit that I'm not in my best shape ever but also know it's not my worst shape, this was full leg workout for 4 miles up as well as 4 miles back down. I highly recommend in the warmer months you get on the trail as early as possible. It opens at 7am. Bring plenty of water. The views along the way are beautiful and when you get to the top at the main overlook is fabulous too. I say the main overlook as there are a couple spots like right at Governors Rock is deep into the trail…but not the main view.

Worked well

We were on a site right on the river and loved access to sit on a float and sit - river was low but you could prob tube down a small portion of its high. Pool was nothing extravagant, god playground for all ages. Didn’t like the traffic noise or how tight the sites were but I’d go back for that river! May even try a lake site for easy fishing!

Lodge and Restaurant with new campsites

We discovered Riverbend Lodge through AirBnB while looking for a new place to camp.  We had been to a number of larger campgrounds this year, and wanted to find a spot where we weren't competing with dozens - or hundreds - of other campers for a good site.  Someplace with some privacy and quiet.  Riverbend Lodge fit the bill.

Riverbend Lodge is a unique mix of lodge, restaurant, bar, and campsites.  The owners are working on renovating the lodge and restaurant, and they have cleared some spots on the Middle Fork French Broad River to accommodate campers.  They have tent sites right on the river (more of a creek, great small falls and peaceful sounds).  We have a jeep with a rooftop tent, and the site we had was spacious and felt secluded.  There was a firepit at the site, and a trash can.  The owners live in an RV on-site, and said that they have a second site that has power and water hook-ups for a pop-up or RV.  Most of the sites are primitive.  There are picnic tables at a couple of areas on the property, but our site did not have a table.

There is a bathroom for campers with a flush toilet, sink, and tub/shower.  They also have a hot tub and sauna, and the use is included in the camping fee - a real bargain!  Both looked new and were immaculately maintained.

We did not view the lodge rooms for rent.  We did enjoy the restaurant the night we got there, the food was very good and reasonably priced for what we got.  We also had breakfast the last morning there, it is only served on weekends but it is only $10 for all you care to eat, and it is served to you - not buffet style.  The staff were friendly and provided good service.  The owners are a young couple, working hard to improve the lodge and offer a great experience.  We will definitely return to Riverbend Lodge.

Close to town and interatate

Close to town to go check things out. Not a far drive to get to many great restaurants, breweries or cideries. Right on the river. Concrete sites, not extremely level, but good enough. For $45 it was a good, clean, quick stop. A multi use path goes through the center of the campground so there is tons of Edwardian and bike traffic through the center of park. The folks we saw were nice. Didn’t get to walk the path, but would be a great option.

Quiet side of the Smokies

This is our favorite campground in the Smokies, we go here often.  FYI there are NO showers at campgrounds in the GSMNP.  There aren't any groceries stores near by so have what you need before.  There are a few small stores near the entrance.  There are way fewer tourist on the east side of GSMNP.  Chataloochee Valley is nice day trip to see all the Elk and historical buildings also really nice hiking.

Clean & neat

First time staying in a private campground. Sites, although close together, were clean and neat. Wife very happy with clean bathrooms & shower facilities. The top portion has beautiful views but no shade at all. I would be willing to revisit.

Not what I expected

The area is beautiful and the staff friendly. I drive a Kia Soul (low profile vehicle) and the roads to the campground were challenging due to the deep ruts and wash out. They advertise restrooms and showers but they were in very poor condition. the first night I checked out the showers, which open to the outside, there was a giant bullfrog inside. Taking trash off is another trip down poor roads. Some of the tent sites were very small with small tent pads. It was beautiful but the sites are pretty close so when it filled up there was lots of noise. You have to bring your own firewood and the office is just that, a place to check in and out- not a camp store. But Walmart is only 4 miles away. If you have a more rugged vehicle and lower facility expectations then you might like this, but it wasn’t for me.

Linville Gorge is Gorgeous

We’ve primitive camped in the Linville Gorge Wilderness for many years and absolutely love it. It’s peaceful and secluded and the views are absolutely gorgeous. My photos are from the Linville Falls side of the old highway that goes past the falls parking lot. Spaces are first come, first served dispersed camping. Leave no trace! We clean up after folks every time we camp up here and it’s just too sad that people will leave their trash. This area used to be the best kept secret in the NC mountains but is quickly gaining popularity.

Beautiful Campground

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday in one of the camping cabins. We will definitely be back now that we have our A-frame camper. The campground is beautiful with a mountain stream flowing through the entire campground. Immaculate bathhouses and wonderful owners. Great store onsite and lots to do in the surrounding area.